Coach Sick

BloodBadger

Rookie
Hello BloodBowlers

This week I've had my very first "paws on" with "Blood Bowl" for the PC and so far I'm very pleased with it. Not since "Speed Ball 2" (Back in my Amiga days) has a sports game had me locked to the screen for so long at a time and this is the first game since then which has seen me caring about the individual players.

Having played through the tutorials, I decided to try the single player campaign and creating "Badgers Brawlers", a Dwarf team, I launched myself into my first season. At the end of this titanic struggle my proud warriors have achieved a staggering whitewash, which is to say that we didn't win a single game and moreover...we only scored one touchdown in the whole season! (Which came riiiiight at the end of the final game.) None the less the "Brawlers" have taken to heart their motto, "Dig Deep & Bite Deeper" and are determined to do better in season 2.

Of course the complete ineptitude of their coach is to blame for this debacle. As a closet "War Hammer" fan who only last year bought the reworked "Space Hulk" board game, I was thrilled to hear of an impending "Blood Bowl" title for the PC, but recent problems with my machine have meant that only now have I been able to take to the field.

Nature can be cruel though and she has given me a fascination for this game (and War Hammer in general) but refused to supply me with the smarts to back it up! So despite thoroughly enjoying the warfare on the pitch so far, I'll have to admit that I've been lost to a degree and the manual is only so much help. Which is why I'm hoping that these pages will be a God send.

I wonder if there might be a guide you can point me at, which takes the struggling newbie from the cradle of picking teams, through good tactics to use, to winning that first match, all in one hit. I've already read a hand full of articles, including one about "The Cage" which was very handy. (And I might add, instrumental in scoring that one and only touchdown.) But they do seem aimed at the player who already has a degree of experience under his belt as opposed to the fellow who has barely peeled off the shrink wrap.

Meantime, if I was going to ask you a question right now, it'd be "why do I often move only a couple of players, before suddenly getting little stop sign icons when selecting any of the rest. Oh..... and what does it mean when the dice that appear above the enemies heads, come up red.

Thanks all

Badger

Coach

Administrator
Head Coach
Country Flag
Welcome to the forum and the world of Blood Bowl! I was also a big fan of Speedball2 and that was an entertaining first post. I hope we can help you out even more.

There isn't a full walk through guide as of yet though that kind of thing is planned for in the future.

I've not got the cyanide game, though did play the best test so my answers may be slightly wrong. The stop sign icons may be because you haven't deselected the current player? The dice appearing above the opposing players being in red means that if you block them (hit them) then they get to choose the result because they are stronger or have more assists.

Have you downloaded and read the Competition Rules Pack from the Blood Bowl Resources on Games Workshop website? If not then you are probably not understanding all the rules and how things like blocking and assists work. The cyanide game doesn't follow the complete rules to the letter though and there are some differences.

The best way to give someone like yourself advice though is if you can record a video of some of your games that we can watch through. Or upload replay files for people to watch (though without a copy of the game I'm unable to do that at this time). Or you can use the play creator site to recreate game situations and ask what you should look to be attempting and in what order to use your players.

Hope that helps and good luck!

BloodBadger

Rookie
Hello Coach, thanks for the quick reply.

The dice appearing above the opposing players being in red means that if you block them (hit them) then they get to choose the result because they are stronger or have more assists.
Ahhhhh.. I get it! :)

The stop sign icons may be because you haven't deselected the current player?
Hmm. pretty sure I have the last player deselected, as the pattern of available movement changes from man to...erm...Drawf to Dwarf :D as I select them. Then when hovering my mouse over an opposing player, I get the aforementioned stop sign, or maybe it's better described as a "no entry" sign. Anyway it's telling me I can't interact with those enemy players, although I can go stand next to them.

Have you downloaded and read the Competition Rules Pack from the Blood Bowl Resources on Games Workshop website?
I must admit I've not done that. I'll go have a look.

Can't believe how stupid I was in my last game! I had the opportunity to.... ah, but I don't want to change the thrust of this thread, I'll write another one. :)

Badger

Coach

Administrator
Head Coach
Country Flag
I think most your problems come from not knowing the rules to the game. You can only do one "Blitz" per turn, that is move and hit an opponent with one of your players. Otherwise you can just either move, or hit someone next to your player already. So if you are moving to someone without doing your single blitz action you can't hit anyone, which is what sounds like the stop sign is coming up for.

The game will be a lot easier if you know the rules, so you got some reading to do!

Thanatos

Super Star Player
Country Flag
I've played the Cyanide game alot but I am not sure what you mean by the Stop Signs?
Can you describe further or post a screenshot?

Regards.

Ian

Veteran
I've played the Cyanide game alot but I am not sure what you mean by the Stop Signs?
Can you describe further or post a screenshot?

Regards.

I think Coach got it, I think Badger was attempting more than one blitz in a single turn.

I was utterly hopeless at the game at first, so I'd recommend getting a copy of the living rulebook and have it open so you can check it whilst playing. Stick at it and it eventually begins to fall into place. :)

Gus Gus

Rookie
I was so happy when I got hold of a copy of the Cyanide game. Been a Skaven Coach for years and due to a collapse of my local league I haven't had the chance to play until now.

The lads have an online league that I'm joining soon and played my first couple of games recently.

BloodBadger's season sounds like the first three games I had on the PC... and most of my games on the board as well come to think of it :D

It gets easier... well... your grasp of the rules does... the being pummelled and left to bleed in the dugout... not so much :p

The new rulebook that I downloaded (thanks for the link Coach!) has been invaluable in reminding me of the rules and also bringing an old school coach up to date with the changes.

Stick at it BloodBadger... you've got a team that is slow and steady, learn your cage and grind plays and you're laughing.

My team... the Storm Vermin are being sent on sewing classes... the Apoc's run off his feet stitching rat limbs back on! :D

Marlow

Veteran
My team... the Storm Vermin are being sent on sewing classes... the Apoc's run off his feet stitching rat limbs back on! :D
The shop owner started Skaven in our league and retired his team "Pure Cheese" after one game. They got turned into creamed cheese by my Orc's. At half time he had one Dead, one -AV, one -AG so he conceded. It game my team enough cash to hire a Troll!

Thanatos

Super Star Player
Country Flag
Hmmm, I would have kept going with that team assuming the -AG and -AV were on Linemen.
If they were on Positionals then retirement might be the only option.

Gus Gus

Rookie
At half time he had one Dead, one -AV, one -AG so he conceded.

That sounds like the game I played last night against Lizardmen on the PC. Starting Skaven team vs. starting Lizardmen.

By half time the score was 1-0 to them and I had a dead linerat, a dead Gutter Runner, a Storm Vermin with a smashed ankle (though the Apoc made him badly hurt) and another Gutter Runner with a broken neck! (-1AG).

It was not a good game!:(

Marlow

Veteran
Hmmm, I would have kept going with that team assuming the -AG and -AV were on Linemen.
If they were on Positionals then retirement might be the only option.
One was a Blitzer. I kept my Elf team going after losing three players in the first game including two Catchers (Dead & -AG) just to see if I can rebuild them. After four games they have two skilled Throwers with no one to pass too! I am saving up to buy two catchers after another couple of games.

Last edited by a moderator: