Modelling pitch tutorials

Captain Thorrek

Super Star Player
Country Flag
Hey guys, I know it's been a while, but I am trying to get a pitch made for the shop I just opened up in Phoenix. I'm really chomping at the bit to get a league started, but haven't really got a clue when it comes to making my own pitch with materials in the States. Since it's for a shop, I want to make it look professional, but can't make it too fancy because I can't afford expensive materials or hospital visits from trying to put it together. Any help with making the pitch would be greatly appreciated.:pow::pow::pow:

Fallowheart

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Fallowheart
Country Flag
So many ideas...

not the least of which is a projector that shoots down from the ceiling on a plexiglas topped table with white underneath. Why you may ask? well then you can project any image you want onto the table and make everything using photoshop... also double for just about any other game you might imagine (i have seen this used extensively in dnd and it's magical... need a dragon layer on 1-inch squares with lava pits? image-in-it!)

Kaz

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Kazman29
Country Flag
I have no idea. But you opened up a shop in Phoenix? Where? A league? How soon? I need to get painting!!!

hungrygnome

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
The hardest part is getting the squares the perfect dimensions. One way alot of people do it is to use Hirst Arts blocks they cast. Looks really nice, not overly expensive, and its basically just a variation on plaster casting. I would recommend them as a great looking, and relatively cheap, start for your pitch. Its 29.00 dollars per mold, and you could likely get by with a single mold, its just going to take a long time to cast all the blocks that way.

Ken

Kenny the Mechanic
Country Flag
29mm squares, use pins/string/spraypaint... there was a great tutorial I saw somewhere

I'll hunt it down when I get home

Ken

Kenny the Mechanic
Country Flag
29mm as the crow flies , 41mm if traveling along the hypotamoose

Kaz

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Kazman29
Country Flag
Speaking of which, I just pulled out the 2nd edition Astrogranite pitch. Had no idea it was so much smaller! (that's what she said:eek:)

Nikolai II

Super Moderator
Steam Username
Dreamy
Cyanide Username
Dreamy
Country Flag
It is also bigger. If you want to play with it you'll need to use a passing matrix (since the ruler is too big) but also ignore half of each endzone (the endzone is two rows deep on Astro, but half has been cut away on modern pitches)

Captain Thorrek

Super Star Player
Country Flag
Wow! I don't have a saw, but it does give me some ideas to work with. Since it's for the shop, it doesn't need to be portable, but sectional will help with storage. I can also probably find a cheap art supply case I can gut out if need be... the pitch is the important part. :D

Kaz, the shop's on the corner of E Indian School and 20th... it's called Vegetative Arts, but look for the building marked AZ Collector's Marketplace (SW corner of the intersection). The easiest way for me to get there is to take I-10 W, then take SR 51N and then take the Indian School Rd exit. Take a right when you hit the off ramp stop light, then keep an eye out on the right hand side for it (should be the next light). Great part about it is 7 Eleven is across the street, and for me access to Mt. Dew is a priority right now. ;)

The league is still in the planning stages, which gives us both time to work on our teams. I'm not going with the Gobbo Science Society for the league (Chaos Dwarfs are just to strong against smaller numbers), so I'm going to be working on my Necromantic Team, The Keptat Bay Hammerheads. I even found a nice shirt for promoting the shop and league... when I get the cash (and the website running properly) that is.

LogoSportswear.com Saved Design - Custom Mens Side Blocked Micropique Sport-Wick Coaches Polo (6276207)

Ken

Kenny the Mechanic
Country Flag
I thought a collapsible/portable board would be good if space was a factor, then you would be able to get a few built and then keep them stacked and tidy and only have them out when called for

Also, a fact of all good game stores? In store snacks and a microwave :D

Captain Thorrek

Super Star Player
Country Flag
Even though I have a small space for storage, cash (and a gratuitous lack of mechanical skills), will keep me doing anything but a simple pitch at this point. It's a great read though, and when things build up I'm definitely going to look at this one far more closely for a Dungeon Bowl pitch! Thanks for the link; it's got me thinking already (and heading off to Hobby Lobby for the pricing).