Modelling Custom Necromantic Team/Pitch: Keptat Bay Hammerheads

Captain Thorrek

Super Star Player
Country Flag
I went hunting for the materials yesterday for the pitch. I bought to long pieces of styrofoam to join together, two Cutty Sark models, some wooden pegs with bases, and some cheap treasure chests.

Pitch concept: Since the Hammerheads are a pirate team, I was thinking of doing an island... I may even use blue plexiglass or something later on, but now I'll just stick to the two planks. It'll aslo give me more foam for terrain pieces for Warlord and Warhammer/40K.

Reroll Counters: I bought six pegs a side with bases,and am going to screw them together together and paint them up to look like tikis. I don't know how they'll turn out, but if they don't work I can always start with another set real cheap.

Scorekeeping: Two treasure chests are going to take the place of the normal markers. I haven't bought them yet, but I'm getting some cheap plastic godl coins to keep with the chests... can't decide if I want to take coins out of the chests, or put them in to count touchdowns, but that'll be a decision for later.

Turn Markers: For these, I decided to move a compass along divots in the "sand". Just scooping the foam out should give me the effect I need... maybe add a shovel to mark the second half.

Dugounts: With the spare foam and Cutty Sark bits, I'll make the dugouts... the more covered, the worse shape the players are in.

Right now I don't have any pics, since I gotta get back into my photo bucket account, but that's it for the pitch now. Next will be team description.

Coach

Administrator
Head Coach
Country Flag
Looking forward to seeing how you progress with this!

Captain Thorrek

Super Star Player
Country Flag
Thanks Coach! At first I trimmed the ends of the planks, and found the compasses and gold coins. The trimmed pieces are being used for the dugouts, and the coins fit in the chests nicely, like so:

I carved out the squares and marker pieces for the pitch with two main reminders. 1) Don't be afraid to eyeball it because... 2) I'm pretty much mechanically inept, so it won't matter anyway. Considering also the team is playing on an island, the "positioning of the sand" will make things a bit more forgiving. The main thing I had to change were the compasses were too big to lay flat, so they're going to be on their sides. I'm also trying to think of a good first/second half marker... maybe a tiki or island hut on stilts if I can find one. That's still for another time.

Here's the pitch so far:

Now for the base:
I thought I took a photograph of the base in progress, but the steps right now are I grabbed a sheet of plexiglass, some sea blue spray paint, and a sheet of fancy glass cling to give the base a three dimensional appearance. The texture is the diamond-bubble kind, which I cut into strips and placed along the edges and smoothed out. I didn't get all the wrinkles out, but that plays into my favor in the long run... since I'm going to spray the base sea blue, then dry brush the tops of the wrinkles white... instant waves (watching Bob Ross all those years paid off).

I'm thinking of finishing the base first, just gotta hop into a Home depot and see if they can drill some holes into the base so I can screw the foam in place after I glue it... or maybe a sheet of double-sided tape would work better...

Team:
I already have the Keptat Bay Hammerheads' team logo, and here are my thoughts for the team make-up model wise.

Zombies/Wights: The models are going to be a combination of Empire Free Company and Undead Skeletons, though the wights will be known by their skull heads and big hats.

Ghouls: The ghouls are simple Free Company, painted to go with the rest of the team.

Werewolves: What better models for werewolves than these (haven't bought them yet)? Reaper Miniatures :: OnlineStore

Fleshies: The Fleshies are going to be the most expensive players on the team, in both Gold and $$. Since I don't get my Golems straight away, this gives me time to save some cash as I wait for the proper time to get them. I have the perfect models for them, too... the Ogre Kingdoms Pirate Maneater.

Captain Thorrek

Super Star Player
Country Flag
Priming and Painting:

I secured the base with more packing tape to keep the "water" in place after giving it a good spray of sea blue. I then primed the pitch and am now painting it. I can't believe I went through an entire can of primer, then had to grab another off the shelf to make sure the second half was covered!! Now though, it's painting the pitch and then gluing or using double-sided tape to keep it to the pitch before working on grass and finishing touches. Two of the tikis are also assembled and ready for painting. This is what the pitch on the base looks like so far:

Now for the 1st/2nd half marker, I was thinking of getting green stuff and making a beach towel, where a skeleton is reclining on while watching the match. The actual marker is going to be its beach umbrella, moved from one side to the other.

Captain Thorrek

Super Star Player
Country Flag
Well, after a little bit of work, I was able to detail a lot of the pitch, drybrushing and flocking it today. Apart from sealing it, drybrushing a few lines and wave foam, and maybe reflocking if the foam soaked up all the glue, I think the pitch itself is pretty much done. I think it came out better than I thought it would at first. Granted I'm not as good a modeler as some of the coaches on here, but I gave it a decent try. Here it is:

If you're up for it Kaz, we can give the pitch a test run sometime. Next will be assembling the tikis and dugouts.

Netsmurf

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Netsmurf
Country Flag
It will be a huge help for players if you mark the LOS and the widezone lines. Also marking the center of each half makes it easier to kick off:powdodge: If you are really into it then you will also put the scatter template on the pitch. It is a big help;)

Captain Thorrek

Super Star Player
Country Flag

After lining the pitch and finishing up one of the endzones, this is what it looks like. I'm going to give the flock on the other side time to stick to the pitch before I go and start painting that side. After the other side's done, I think it's time for a good matte spray, then I can work on other projects.

If this keeps up, I might not be able to call myself an Unpainted General anymore. :rolleyes:

Captain Thorrek

Super Star Player
Country Flag
I finished assembling the tikis, but after my first anniversary, changing places in the shop, and several other things going on, I only had time now to update the progress. I have twelve reroll counters made... With master chefs, bonus rerolls, and four rerolls a side (two vamp teams, let's say), six a side should be plenty.

This is one of the reasons I didn't update, though. I figured on a prize for the League Champ, and since I live next door to a trophy shop...

I can't afford much in the way of prizes, but I think Ahwatukee Trophies and Awards did a great job on it.

Kaz

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Kazman29
Country Flag
Damn I didn't see this thread since before te pitch was finished! I still haven't started painting anything yet though. Got too busy with work starting. Funny, I live in Ahwatukee and know that trophy store! Gotta get painting and swing by the shop

Captain Thorrek

Super Star Player
Country Flag
Thanks guys for the feedback, and yeah, they're the ones I go to for trophies (for obvious reasons). :) There's good news and bad news, though. I am in the process of folding up the shop, so things are a bit hectic until the dust settles. I'm not folding up the business, since I'll be using that for my writings and the board game I'm putting out, so all is not lost.

Good news is the League is still going to be going on at AZ Collectors Marketplace, and I'm in talks with a friend about certain things, so I can't say anything until everything's settled. So the trophy might have a new home for a little bit, and the pitch will probably come home with me (it's not product, so I can do it and not have to worry about losing my insurance), but I'm looking forward to the league starting up next year and have a real crazy idea for a new Dark Elf team... yeah, crazy in relation to my taste in teams, so you know it's out there. ;) All I need to do is get the new Witch Elves Boxed Set, and my team is set... I got the four Blitzers, two Witches, and four Linemen I need in the box, and Whisperblade for my assassin. Definitely a high risk, high reward team (with the Blitzers and Witches, having a runner is overkill in my mind, since the main ball carrier doesn't have Sure Hands).