Rules Re-rolls cost double?

Warwick

Rookie
Country Flag
Hi there, Blood Bowl fans! I have a question for you about the board game. I played Blood Bowl many years ago and have started up a new league with several friends with the Competition Rules. One thing that stands out is the re-rolls cost double after the team is made. I can certainly comply, but I was wondering what reason for this is there? Too many re-rolls? Not enough hard decisions on starting teams? What does it hurt to have one price for re-rolls?
Thanks guys! It's great to read these forums. Loads of fun.

Murkglow

Super Star Player
Too many re-rolls? Not enough hard decisions on starting teams? What does it hurt to have one price for re-rolls?

A little of all of that plus what helps make some teams more "balanced" is the relative cost of their rerolls so that the stronger teams take longer to build up because their rerolls cost more. This is just magnified by the doubling and as such it "forces" the stronger teams to take their rerolls early and their positionals later rather then whenever they like. Personally I think it was a good touch on the part of the writers.

Sceadeau

Star Player
Country Flag
Correct -- it mostly has to do with the fact that it makes for interesting decisions when starting a team.

Also, I believe it is to reinforce the fact that rerolls are the key to success, and should be valued properly by new players. If a new player hears they have to pay double later, they may take more rerolls early, and then they will learn of the power of the reroll.

Warwick

Rookie
Country Flag
Thanks, guys. I can get behind these reasons. Some teams need more rerolls, so I guess you have to juggle buying them early with getting other things you need.

biLLy

Veteran
Country Flag
What it really pisses me off is the fact that top teams reroll cost are lower than the other ones... So these are the chances:

• a) Pure coincidence
  • b) The reroll cost have a higher impact in the team perfomance than we really believe (thus, we should invest more in RR at the starting).
  • c) Reroll costs in teams like dwarves, amazons and such are just pure crap, they should be fixed...

Im inclined to think third option is the real truth, anyone else think that these costs should be revised??

Rusty

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
It seems to be generally based on the cost of the linemen (or maybe the average cost of all the players, I haven't looked that much into it). Teams with linemen <50k have rerolls at 70k, teams with linemen >60k have rerolls at 50k, in between and the rerolls are 60k. There are a few exceptions, Amazon seems most obvious, but that seems to be the base from which it's all worked out.

biLLy

Veteran
Country Flag
Ah yeah, that remind me that longbeards got 3 skills + av9 for 40k, that is pretty cheap sh!t ;)

Netsmurf

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Netsmurf
Country Flag
Reroll cost have evolved during the living rulebook lifespand. So I hope it is balanced out by now, but it is true that amazon and dwarf are cheap, but how else to get some to play such borring teams:powdodge:

Murkglow

Super Star Player
Reroll cost have evolved during the living rulebook lifespand. So I hope it is balanced out by now, but it is true that amazon and dwarf are cheap, but how else to get some to play such borring teams:powdodge:

Indeed there have been quite a few rulebooks since the game began and a fair bit of price changes. To me "c) Reroll costs in teams like dwarves, amazons and such are just pure crap, they should be fixed..." just doesn't work out. If there was a problem with the reoll cost, especially to the point where it was obviously "pure crap" it would have been noticed just a bit before now.

Gallows Bait

Super Moderator
Steam Username
Gallows-Bait
Cyanide Username
Gallows Bait
Country Flag
More pointedly, given the time and events since the completion of LRB6 I doubt there are likely to be any changes in the immediate future and to an extent any complaints about rules are unlikely to prompt change.

I can agree some may appear cheap, but they are designed to be only one aspect of the team roster, balancing against relative player strengths and weaknesses.

EatThisShoe

Rookie
Country Flag
I think the reroll cost is somewhat based on how much a team gains from the reroll. Teams with a good amount of block and dodge and AG 4 wont need as many rerolls because their skills reroll common die rolls, and the skills dictate how you play the team, causing you to reroll those dice more. If they don't gain as much consistency from the rerolls then they are cheaper.

Teams that pay a lot for rerolls tend to be teams that can use any number of rerolls like Khemri, Ogres, and Vampires. They pay more because they gain more.

maxcarrion

Super Star Player
Country Flag
OK, so Dwarves and Amazons gain less from rerolls then other teams, they have sure hands and lots of dodge or block which when used properly can greatly improve consistency and lessen the need for rerolls. On the flip side a side like Khemri and Nurgle with low agility and lacking a lot of ball handling and blocking skills gain a lot from rerolls so pay a lot more. More gain = more cost.

Why do they double after creation? Well that's pretty easy too, if you buy a player after creation they are a reserve, a replacement for a death or replace a player that becomes a reserve or fired, once you have 11 players each new player is worth incrementally less so theymake less sense to buy. Rerolls on the other hand do not suffer so blatantly from this diminishing returns until you reach about 4 where it becomes harder to use them within a half, so to simulate this effect RR double in price once teams are created.

Doover

Star Player
Country Flag
You could also argue that you can never lose a Re-Roll when you got one. A player will be dead or crippled sooner or later, if you play enough games. So you´ll never lose the spend money and to cover that you lose half your spend money right at the start.