Balor's Brigands the development Blog!

Marlow

Veteran
Salutations Readers,

I though I would copy Gus-Gus and post up a Blog for my Orc team that is doing quite well in our Table Top League. So far they lost the pre-season training game but are wining in the Chaos Cup.

League Performance W-D-L
Training Games 0-0-1
2010 Chaos Cup 5-2-0 (ongoing)

Balor's Brigands 14 Boyz on the Team -
3 Team Re-Rolls. Team Rating 153. Fan Factor 10
4 Blitzers
Killer - Frenzy, Mighty Blow
3x Protector - Guard / Guard & Stand Firm / Nothing yet

2 Throwers
. Runner with Dodge & KOR
. Kicker with no skills yet

4 Black Orc Blockers - Guard / Block / Block / Nowt
A Troll with Guard
A Line-orc with nothing
2 Goblins - Wrestle / Diving Tackle

Our League has extended the Spike Awards (Fan Favorite skill) to include dirty casualties (fouling, ect) and the Goblins are doing quite well at getting those although they do get sent off a lot.

My current development plan is -
One of the Blitzers into a Killer - Frenzy, MB, PO then Jug, Guard or Tackle depending on how the other teams are developing.

The other Blizers, BOBs & Troll are going more defensive with a mix of Block, Guard, MB & Stand Firm. Diving Tackle will be the main doubles skill (Block for the Troll) once the majority have Block & Guard.

The Throwers I am developing as a Runner (Blodge, KOR & Fend) for offensive drives and a Kicker (Block, Kick) for the defence.

Line-orc will probably become the team fouler and the goblins be used for cage breaking and ball retrieval. What do you think?

Last edited:

Coach

Administrator
Head Coach
Country Flag
Looks like a solid plan, what was your thinking behind Guard on the first Black Orc compared to Block?

Marlow

Veteran
Looks like a solid plan, what was your thinking behind Guard on the first Black Orc compared to Block?
Partly he was the first player (after the Goblin) to skill up and I needed some Guard to help out the Blitzers. I have also been reading Doubleskulls "Way of the Orc" Blog and thought I would give his suggestion of opening with Guard a try. BOB's are still causing a lot of Turnovers and eating re-rolls so not sure. Two more of them are one the cusp of levelling so I may give one of them Block and the other Guard.

DoubleSkulls's Blog: Way of the Orc: Black Orcs
I see he has submitted about half of it to your site as well. You should see if he will let you host the rest.

Last edited:

Coach

Administrator
Head Coach
Country Flag
They are all already on here apart from the Blitzers, which I keep forgetting to get around to rewriting...

sunnyside

Veteran
My advice for Orcs (as a spectator) is to try and get those BOBs skilled up. If you ever find yourself stalling and have a TRR or two left see if you can get a BOB to lumber over and get the ball in.

This is because I've seen some Orc teams get into trouble because they'll have throwers or blitzers with gobs of SPPs, but BOBs with one or no skills.

This means they're still causing turnovers after other teams have stopped, and they can lose out in the guard race or otherwise just get outmatched.

Marlow

Veteran
The plan is to hand off to BOB's to get them to score, the problem is having the re-rolls, or BOB near the ball carrier. Hopefully sometime in the next couple of games I will actually get a cage down the pitch and still have a re-roll left.

Played Chaos Cup Game Six tonight. Won 2-0 vs Goblins. Sadly I only managed two casualties that generated Skill points. I had most of them knocked out at the end of each half, but could not quite get the rolls high enough. The Troll got the MVP and also rolled triple skulls against a Goblin. He gained Guard.

My BOB's are on 4,5,6 & 0 skill points. One of them has a Touchdown. Two of the Blitzers are now on 14 the other two on 8 and 3. My Runner is on 20 and Kicker on 3, Line-Orc on 2, Goblins on 8 & 10. Almost anyone can get their first skill up if they get the MVP.

Last edited:

RedDevilCG

Veteran
What does the second 'B' in BOB stand for? For some reason, I thought BOB referred to the 3 players on the line being a 'B'lack Orc, 'O'gre, 'B'lack Orc, or any a stand-in for any other str4, str5, str4 lineup on the line of scrimmage.

Marlow

Veteran
What does the second 'B' in BOB stand for? For some reason, I thought BOB referred to the 3 players on the line being a 'B'lack Orc, 'O'gre, 'B'lack Orc, or any a stand-in for any other str4, str5, str4 lineup on the line of scrimmage.
BOB is Black Orc Blocker, the position on the Orc Team.

Players used as line-fodder are the Troll as Noseguard and two BOB's and the line-ends.

RedDevilCG

Veteran
Funny, all this time and I never noticed the 'blocker' tag hanging off then end of Black Orc. They don't even have block; this is absurd!

jamesprobert

Veteran
no it's not absurd to my mind, because their main job, once developed a little bit, is to 'block' using their St4 to get favourable blocks. As a Blitzers job is to Blitz. ;)

Marlow

Veteran
Balors Brigands Won vs Bruni's Beinbrottiers (Norse) TD 2-1, Cas 3-3, Gold 80-20
Norse Induced Yhetee & Bomber. Orcs Kicked and managed to badly hurt the Yhetee in Turn 3. Norse scored Turn 4. Norse got the ball off Hicks on Turn 6 but failed a long pass. Frost was able to hand off to Bishop to equalise at the end of the half. Second half was 9 Norse vs 11 Boyz. Orcs got a touchback so Drake a Black Orc got the ball and marched down pitch scoring in Turn 16. Bomber only stayed on his feet for one turn and fumbled the bomb! Both teams Apothecaries saved a dead player. unskilled Thrower got -MV and was replaced. Norse got a -ST Lineo. Gorman & Norse Runner were sent off for fouling.

Team Rating is now 153 with Fan Factor 10. Chaos Cup Standing: 5-2-0
Two BOB's gained Block. Frenzy Blizer got MB and Guard Blitzer got Stand Firm.

Coach

Administrator
Head Coach
Country Flag
Pretty good game for you then with the win and those extra skills.

Marlow

Veteran
Pretty good game for you then with the win and those extra skills.
Yes. The Norse had too much Frenzy for me to be able to stop there cage rolling down the wing. However I did manage to fill the KO box by the end of half. With a Wolf, Runner and Berserker not recovering I had a clear advantage in the second half.

The Norse have to face the Goblins next. I am hoping that againsts a Chainsaw, Fanatic with Block & MB and a Troll with Piling On they will lose a few more players before I have to face them in the Cup Final/Semi-final. :D

These green-skins think they're the bees knees with all there regeimanted guard players, well perhaps its time to show them how returning to ones savage routes can yeild benifits too. Call themselves Orcs, pah, it was more like playing against Dwarves.

With the problems at league HQ it looks like we might be up against some dark elves before playing the Goblins but rest assured the Norsemen will be wreaking a vengenge against all things green and the cup will be ours!

Jarl Bruni (Norse Coach)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I still regret throwing trying that pass...

If I just kept hold of the ball I'd have gone into the second half 1-0 up and you wouldn't have been able to stall the entire second half out (well not if you wanted to win anyway). Oh well things come with experience.

Marlow

Veteran
We just need to get those Goblins out of there bunker and motivated. I will pay them for each Norse they kill. :0)

Hopefully the HQ refit will be finished by Easter and we can get back on schedule...