Skill allocation advice II

Status
Not open for further replies.

20phoenix

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
20phoenix
Country Flag
Went with leap on the gutter in the end after crunching some typical one turner numbers. Made the assumption that weather was standard, the kick was short, the gutter only gets pushed one square, the opposition are not tackle heavy and the gutter is not marked when receiving the catch.

Was surprised to find that sure feet only improves the whole move by about 3% (45.4% from 42%) but leap is about 12% better (54.3%). I guess is this is because it removes the highest roll needed from the equation - the 4+ dodge. I also tested to see what happens if I rolled a double next skill and took 2 heads on the sure feet build or VLL on the leap build. Two heads makes it a 59.8% chance so has a massive impact but the VLL/leap combo still edges it with 61.7%.

20phoenix

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
20phoenix
Country Flag
If your opponent lays out the most common defence - 8 men across the back and three on the LOS your first dodge will be into two tackle zones.

Viajero

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
Yeah, using samba I get:

Base case (no sure feet, no leap):

Catch 2+ - Dodge 4+ with dodge skill - Dodge 3+ with dodge skill - Dodge 2+ with dodge skill - Go For It 2+ - Go For It 2+
32.15 %
53.137 % with Team RR

With sure feet:

Catch 2+ - Dodge 4+ with dodge skill - Dodge 3+ with dodge skill - Dodge 2+ with dodge skill - Go For It 2+ with sure feet - Go For It 2+ with sure feet
42.867 %
57.454 % with Team RR

With leap:

Catch 2+ - Leap 3+ - Dodge 2+ with dodge skill - Go For It 2+ - Go For It 2+
37.509 %
68.766 % with Team RR

So, as long as you make sure you save that last RR for the 1 turner attempt, Leap is better than Sure Feet for this scenario by around 11 percentage points.

Last edited:

mrpier

Veteran
How does running in OTT compare with TTM attempts? I have a strong suspicion running it in has a considerably higher chance of success, is this correct? What are the best skills for TTM, on let's say the troll-goblin combo (relevant for my orcs).

Viajero

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
How does running in OTT compare with TTM attempts? I have a strong suspicion running it in has a considerably higher chance of success, is this correct? What are the best skills for TTM, on let's say the troll-goblin combo (relevant for my orcs).

Well, a gobbo TTM with a roster Troll (I.e. Ripper would vary) would be something like this:

Catch 3+ - other player - Really Stupid 2+ loner - Always Hungry 2+ loner - Throw 3+ loner - other player - Landing 4+ - Go For It 2+
12.86 %
30.007 % with Team RR

This sequence does not include the pick up and hand off previous to the gobbo catch, for comparative purposes with the above. Unless skaven use another GR to pick up and hand off, the comparison may be fair. It also assumes no Pro or Strong Arm skill in the Troll and that the landing is within 1 GFI range of TD.

Troll with Pro:

Catch 3+ - other player - Really Stupid 2+ loner - Always Hungry 2+ loner - Throw 3+ loner - other player - Action 4+ - Go For It 2+
17.608 %
32.31 %

Troll with Strong Arm:

Catch 3+ - other player - Really Stupid 2+ loner - Always Hungry 2+ Throw with Strong Arm 2+ loner - other player - Landing 4+ - Go For It 2+
16.075 %
36.169 % with Team RR

Troll with Pro and Strong Arm:

Catch 3+ - other player - Really Stupid 2+ loner - Always Hungry 2+ loner - Throw 2+ loner - other player - Landing 4+ - Go For It 2+
20.438 %
38.229 %

With Ripper instead:

Catch 3+ - other player - Throw 3+ loner - other player - Landing 4+ - Go For It 2+
18.519 %
40.123 % with Team RR

Flings with Treemen have it somewhat more easy to throw. Flings MA5 is more of a problem to get to TD so I have assumed the 2 GFI are needed:

Catch 3+ - Throw (Trees have Strong Arm and no Loner) 2+ - Landing 4+ - Go For It 2+ - Go For It 2+
19.29 %
45.01 %

Last edited:

Everblue

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
The skaven pick up would either be 3+ with sure hands or 2+, though. Whereas with gobbos that might not be the case!

Otherwise relevant skills would be strong arm or pro on the troll (or lack of always hungry and really stupid if using ripper), and then catch and sure feet on the gobbo.

EDIT - And the throw is 3+ I believe, not 2+, unless the troll has strong arm.

Viajero

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
Now also updated with the different pro/Strong Arm combinations, plus Ripper and flings Treemen.

:D

asprice81

Rookie
Country Flag
I play Khemri in the Orca-Cola Championship and I have a Thro-Ra with block and dodge with 1 SPP to go before leveling up. When it comes time to give him a new skill, what should it be? Thanks!

DerGnom

Veteran
Cyanide Username
DerGnom
Country Flag
Depending on the rest of your team, his role on the field and your prefered play style, one could think of tackle, fend, kick-off return or leader, for example.

Nikolai II

Super Moderator
Steam Username
Dreamy
Cyanide Username
Dreamy
Country Flag
Gnom has the full list, except AG, ST, MV or.. hmm.. maybe guard on a double. Makes him easier to block clear on a cage collapse.
Else MB on a double, especially if you intend to take tackle on a single.

hecubus

Rookie
Cyanide Username
hecubus15
Country Flag
Hello, all! I'm currently playing a Dark Elf team in our league. Next week will be the first game of the playoffs.

I have a Witch Elf who suffered a Serious Concussion and is now AV6, but she's also now at 4SPP and if I can swing it she'll be promoted after the next game. I'm trying to decide whether to go the Block or Wrestle route with her. I have a 2nd WE on the team with no SPP yet, but my plan is to develop one along the Wrestle path for attacking ball-carriers, and the other with Block for hitting and crowd-pushing.

My initial thought was to take Wrestle for the AV6 WE since it avoids armor rolls. However, it will leave her prone and open to fouls, and while Block won't help in taking down opponents who also have Block, it will help her stay on her feet. Now I'm thinking I should use Block on her, and follow up with Side Step and other things that can help keep her safe. With any luck I can tack on Juggernaut down the line to help with Both Down rolls against targets with block.

Does this seem like sound reasoning? Any thoughts?

danton

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
danton
Country Flag
There is little point in planning out a career path for a level 1 witch elf with Av 6! The best thing you can do is to fire her now, before she gets any more spp! ;)

Other than that I do like to build one witch with Wrestle and one with Block. On either of them take MB as the first double though, as you will get more use out of that than Juggs in my experience.

hecubus

Rookie
Cyanide Username
hecubus15
Country Flag
There is little point in planning out a career path for a level 1 witch elf with Av 6! The best thing you can do is to fire her now, before she gets any more spp! ;)

I had intended to fire her after the injury, but money has been tight and I've had a handful of deaths among the linemen, I've had trouble even fielding 11 non-journeyman players some weeks. I did not have the money to even replace her with a lineman at first, then last game she mauled a couple Snotlings and picked up her SPP. I've also had bad luck with SPP generation (MVP's going to journeymen or dead people) so at this point I figure I should just stick with her.

TravelScrabble

Mega Star Player
Steam Username
travelscrabble
Cyanide Username
travelscrabble
Country Flag
AV 6 makes her too fragile, if you need to keep her make sure you concentrat spps on the other one and replace when you can afford it. With elves it often good to run with less than 11 players, using journeymen to take LOS hits, till you get enpough of a bank to buy yourself up to 12.

Mikko

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Mikko
Country Flag
ImageRoster.aspx

Hi, Charon the Boatman rolled a normal skill and i´m a bit undecided what to pick for him. I was thinking about stand firm, grab, tackle too since i have only 2 tacklers and i´m facing lizards and amazons next.

So, any suggestions...other than sack that fool :p.

Nikolai II

Super Moderator
Steam Username
Dreamy
Cyanide Username
Dreamy
Country Flag
Stand Firm is another of those skills that pay off more the more you get. But Guard / Tackle / MB is a solid skillset. Tackle is the more aggressive pick, while SF is more about spoiling.

Status
Not open for further replies.