Ogre Starting roster help

Ghaz

Star Player
Country Flag
Hi all,

I am a new coach and i plan to play an ogre team for the league at my local gaming club. I have just begin playing blood bowl a few months ago, but I know the ogres is not an easy team, but i like the "challenge" and i don't care about winning, I just like to have lots of fun. I will be the "league maker" (my first too) and for lots of the participants, it's their first league too (lots of new player). Normaly, the league will be around 10 or 20 match long. (depending if we just do the first leg, or the first and the second leg)

Here is the team I intended to play:
- 5 Ogres
- 6 snotlings
- 2 rerolls
- 0 fan factor
- 40k gold in bank

What do you think about, did i have to take more snotlings, less rerolls or ogre ?

Thanks in avence for your answers

Ghaz

Ps: Sorry if my English is not perfect, but it's not my native language
Ps2: Sorry but i can't put the right image in thumbnail url http://bbtactics.com/wp-content/themes/premiumnews/images/ogre.png, don't know what I am doing wrong...

Last edited:

Candlejack

Rookie
I'd take more snots for the 40k you got spare. They die fast and you will need quite some replacements even in your first game.

Coach

Administrator
Head Coach
Country Flag
Welcome to the forum, I fixed the thumbnail, you don't need the Blood Bowl Tactics | LRB5 Playbooks and Strategy part at the beginning. I might move the images to make that easier in future.

4 Ogres – 560k
9 snots – 180k
3 rerolls – 210k
Apothecary – 50k

or

4 ogres - 560k
8 snots - 160k
4 rerolls - 280k

For a team that starts with none of the core skills, Block, Dodge, Sure Hands etc. 2 Rerolls isn't really enough in my opinion. I think I prefer the second of these two personally, the Apothecary is for the Ogres only in the first one, though I'd rather take the risk of injury on one and get the extra reroll to start. The first one also has more reserves, combined with the Apothecary should help keep 11 players on the pitch, Snotlings tend to get hurt quickly.

Good Luck!

RedDevilCG

Veteran
You're going to need the rerolls, I'd go for the second team Coach posted up, but either of them are better choices I would say.

Ghaz

Star Player
Country Flag
Thanks for the tips.

In the case I take your second roster coach:

4 ogres - 560k
8 snots - 160k
4 rerolls - 280k

What advice can you give me for the set up, as I have just a handful of ogre...
I suppose I put 3 of them on the line of scrimmage, but what to do with the last ogre ?

I have the impression I will have hard time at the beginning with only 4 ogres, I am wrong ?

What skill did i have to take with the ogre first ? Guard, Break tackle (block if double) ?
And for the snots ? Diving tackle, catch, sprint ?

Thanks again for the quick answers.

Ps @ Coach: Thanks for fixing the Thumbnail. I have try to put only the /wp-content/them...mages/ogre.png but it doen't work too...

Last edited:

Zweistein

Veteran
Block on duobble for the Ogres is out of question -> Roll it = click it
(personaly i would use a +strength for block too!)

if you dont get it ... hm

1 or 2 guard for the first skill. The rest ... grab
Then a combination of another Guard to be sure of the strength advantage, a multiblocker and a grabber or just 2 grabber.

as your ogres will skill very slowly thats all you'll ever see ;)

for the Snotlings jump up? or simply buy a bunch of new ones every game :p

Ancre

Veteran
Break tackle can also come in handy with ogres I've heard, to make sure they go punch the guy you want.

BeefyGoodness

Rookie
I've recently heard of someone firing their 5 snots at the end of the first game after buying 6 ogres and an apoth. All money gained in games goes to buying rerolls and playing the first 20 odd games with only the 6 ogres meaning that MVP's will always go to the ogres first and even though you are losing and they are scoring easily, every time they score they have to set up for you to smack them again and have a chance at a cas.

Marlow

Veteran
It is certainly a tactic. You get to hire Morg for a lot of games with Inducements. Not sure how much fun it is to play, you would have to give it a try.

Coach

Administrator
Head Coach
Country Flag
Trouble with this is that you are going to be losing all those early games. That is just a terrible state of affairs.

jamesprobert

Veteran
Trouble with this is that you are going to be losing all those early games. That is just a terrible state of affairs.

depends on your objectives, if you want to win the league that year... (or there are restarts at the end of each season) then it is an issue, in a perpetual league, you might want to take a season to build up the ogres before actually going for the title ;)

Coach

Administrator
Head Coach
Country Flag
I play to win every game and I offer my opinion based on doing that.

BeefyGoodness

Rookie
Yes, I personally play to win but thought I'd pass this tactic on as it isn't something that is commonly used etc.

I think the tactic isn't valid for the reason that you'll end up losing an ogre or two being outnumbered so much and potentially kicked while you are down (especially against the bashy teams).

Ghaz

Star Player
Country Flag
I have made some test match this week-end, i will give you my tough...

I was playing this starting team:
- 4 ogres - 560k
- 8 snots - 160k
- 4 rerolls - 280k

First Match: Human

I had some problems with the speed of humans. They managed to score quickly (turn 3). They have made a breakthrough in my Snotlings, and I was unable to get an ogre as reinforcements. Fortunately, the kickoff that followed fell outside the limits which allowed me to give the ball to one of my ogres. Unfortunately, 2 "bone head" failed with the ball carrier prevented me from marked during the first half. Despite the 6 players put out, 4 returned for the second half. This is where the cage formed by my 4 ogres and assisted by Snotlings allowed me to score after 7 laps, and the match ends in a tie.
- If a player quickly infiltrate my lines, it's a touchdown for sure, I can catch up with my movement 5.
- I need to injure players, otherwise I can not take the advantage in terms of numerical superiority

Second Match: Orcs
Everything went wrong against "The green skins", impossible to get through their armor. In addition, all my Snotlings be brought out slowly, and suddenly I was no longer able to defend properly. In the end I lost 3-0 with numerous Snotlings injured.
- Despite the high force of ogres, I failed to take the ascendancy in melee
- If I lose too much Snotlings, it is impossible to defend properly with only the 4 ogres

What I take from these two games:
- 4 ogres seems too little to cover the whole field
- 4 Rerolls seems good to me to begin
- The Snotlings can leave quickly, I need to take a lot of them to compensate.

Here is the deployment that I used for both games:

With this, I force my opponent to pass to the right, but I have no ogre for coming as reinforcements, maybe i need to put only 2 on the line of scrimmage, but i thinks they will be too easily outnumbered in this configuration, or take one more ogre in my starting roster at the expense of 2 rerolls

I am lost, can you help me :D

Coach

Administrator
Head Coach
Country Flag
Not played Ogres yet myself so just going to say what I would be looking to do with them, perhaps others can jump in with more later.

Try to tie up opposing players with the Ogres, you want to force them to roll dice doding away, or if they are moving players in to try and block them they will be weakend elsewhere. Getting as many blocks in as possible with the Ogres will help, both with skilling them up and removing opponents with the help of Mighty Blow.

Snotlings you want to dodge them out of opposing tackle zones so they can't hit them. Start with the ones next to Block players as they will be able to hurt you the most. Anyone you manage to knock over with an Ogre, try and get a foul in on the player with a Snotling as well. It is a good trade a 20k ST1 player for one of theirs.

InsaneProphet

Rookie
I haven't played Ogres myself, but Episode 9 of the Tacklezone Radio Podcast is devoted to Ogres and contains a lot of infomation from Bouf from the Talk Fantasy Football forum. He seems to be something of an expert regarding Ogres so you may find some useful infomation there.

Xon

Rookie
I started with Ogres myself they are fun(a pain at times) but you need an apot in my veiw to protect an Ogre I only had 2 rerolls to start with too. The reason you need an apot is so your Ogre never gets hurt there have been many times both teams wind up in a cluster(them tring to gang up on me and me smacking them around) but if they manage to cause a cas on ur Ogre if its bad enough u will be handecapt a lot. Think of a str 4 or AV8 Ogre :( thats a 280k replacement :eek: (what u spent on him and the new one) that hurts the bank you could by 2 rerolls for that much latter on in the season.

Ghaz

Star Player
Country Flag
I'm back after playing 2 games in my local club league.

I manage to make a 1-1 against a human team and a 2-2 against wood elf (normaly it should be 2-1 for me but i was too kind, scoring my second tuchdown at turn 7, letting him two turn to score again, and it is what he has done...f*****g wardancer :D)

So, I have some questions about the throw team mate skill:
- Does it count for the "pass" action or not ?
- Can I make more than ONE throwing team mate per turn ? (on the same or on differents snotlings ?)
- If an Ogre throws a snotling on an opponent player and manage to make a casualty, who from the Ogre or the snotling earns the 2 SPP ?

Thanks a lot

Ghaz

Xon

Rookie
1 yes
2 no just one but can throw and blitz(with snotling...bad idea but funny if it works)
3 snotling

Throw team mate conts as a pass but you can hand off and throw team mate.