1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Underworld 1.1 million Underworld roster and skills help please :)

Discussion in 'NAF Resurrection Tournament Tactics' started by greymurphy42, Jul 12, 2011.

1. greymurphy42

greymurphy42 Member

Country Flag:
    As I'm having a blast with my Underworld team in the MBBL PbeM league, I thought I'd try them out at the BBOING tourney in Norwich at the end of September. The only inducements available will be the chef for halflings and bribes for goblins, and all teams must start with FF 0.

You can then give 6 skills to help your team on the way, 2 of which can be doubles, and after the first day you get 100k worth of improvements for your team, which can be spent however you like, however stacking isn't allowed (You can only give 1 of each stat boost too)

Lineup A: -

Warpstone Troll
    Skaven Blitzer *2
    Skaven Thrower *2
    Skaven Lineman *2
    Underworld Goblin *9
    Reroll *3

Lineup B: -

Warpstone Troll
    Skaven Blitzer *2
    Skaven Thrower *2
    Skaven Lineman *2
    Underworld Goblin *7
    Reroll *3
    Apothecary
    30k for Cheerleaders/Coaches

Skills?

I figure that priority goes to Skaven and Troll for day 1 skills
    Block or Claw for the troll? Obviously block makes him reliable, but claw makes him scary!
    2* Wrestle for the linemen should help with the no doubt numerous blodgers that will be out there...
    Stormvermin? Guard/Mighty Blow/Claw/Piling On/Dodge. Obviously if I block the troll I could give a claw to one of the stormvermin
    Extra arms for a thrower would give me a very reliable pick up. Of course I could always go for kick or leader or block or guard...

Day 2 skills I guess a smattering of mutations for the goblins...2 heads for a couple, extra arms, maybe a couple of dirty players....so much to think about!

Any thoughts/ideas/comments etc would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance

G

2. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Guard for the troll, to make him useful even unactivated? Or frenzy on the troll, to crowd-push?

Strip ball on one blitzer and claw on the other? Guard on a lineman and wrestle on the other? Block on thrower sounds sensible.

Can you stack the 100k to add a skill to someone skilled the first day, or do you need to go all out new? If the latter then it might make sense to skip skilling some just to boost them the second day?

Else a two-headed goblin, a +ag thrower, a diving tackle goblin and a side-step one?

3. Doover

Doover Member

Country Flag:
    Tentacles for the Troll could also be nice.

4. greymurphy42

greymurphy42 Member

Country Flag:
    Thanks for the replies...even ifyou have given me more skills to think about http://bbtactics.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif

The 100k worth of improvements all have to be on new people, I like the idea of +AG on a thrower. It's only stat bumps that are limited to one of each, skills can be duplicated as many times as you like.

I don't like the idea of frenzy on the troll, I don't think he's fast enough to make best use of it. The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced that block is the way to go on him. At my last tournament I was happy to throw -2D blocks with my human blitzers on my opponents big guys, and I don't think I got turned over on any of them.

Thanks

G

5. Grumbledook

Grumbledook Member

Country Flag:
    I've not seen this on the NAF site, looks like an interesting set up and could work quite well for underworld

Can you save any of the initial 1.1 to spend on day 2, or spend any of that on skills from the outset?

while 16 players can be handy I'm not sure you need that many and I would prefer the second lineup, though if you can spend that 30k on skills or save it that may be better, a bribe could also be considered

I would 100% give the troll block though, makes him a more reliable hitter and you want to get that mighty blow into play, frenzy would be a disaster, they aren't mobile, have loner, and can't move very far

I'm not convinced on the value of taking claw on a blitzer, guard on one or perhaps both could be good, tackle is worth considering, frenzy could also work though you may get in trouble against stronger teams or anyone with more guard

wrestle or strip ball on a goblin could cause problems

if you are going to spend 40k on agility then putting it on a goblin means they can dodge anywhere on a 2+ (bar prehensile tail etc) and would also be useful for throw team mate one turn attempts (can catch it easier and land easier)

while it would be nice to have it on a thrower, extra arms is a fair alternative if you want it on the goblin

it generally sounds like you are on the right lines though, if you spend the extra 100k on skills you are going to have 11 on the team (maybe more if you can save or spend that 30k on them), so perhaps sure feet on one gobbo could also be nice, mainly for one turning so may be worth keeping him on the bench but it could be useful on the pitch generally on occasion too

6. greymurphy42

greymurphy42 Member

Country Flag:
    I had a practice match the other day with the second roster against my brother's Dark Elves and came out with a 1-1 draw. I gave the troll block, the blitzers guard, the linemen wrestle and extra arms to one of the throwers. He had 2 witches, 4 blitzers, a runner, and assassin and 3 linemen. He gave block to the witches, guard to two of his blitzers, jump up to the assassin and leader to the runner.

He spent most of the first half stalling next to my endzone, while my team decided to fail 3+ with reroll dodges all half! The troll did take out a couple of players, whilst he wasn't able to get through my armour. I almost made the 1TTD to make it level at half time, but the goblin fluffed the landing, with a reroll earned by my cheerleaders.

Second half, I scored on my turn 4 and he was down to 7 elves, whilst I was still able to field a full team, which meant I was able to pressure his ball carrier, including a goblin TZ on the carrier, which forced him to try passing the ball, which a goblin intercepted. This turned into a bit of a scrum in the middle of his half, and due to me blocking the wrong way, it left me needing to dodge away to score the winner, which of course I failed.

I felt the skill selection worked well, and wrestle on the linemen worked well, and I was a lot more confident in blocking with them, and the extra arms helped me pick up the ball in the big scrum towards the end.

7. Grumbledook

Grumbledook Member

Country Flag:
    sounds good, those are fairly standard skill choices for underworld

with regards to him camping out by your end zone, try to keep your team goal side of his team and keep one or two players a few squares back, if they can't get around you this really makes it harder

so also be careful about running too many players behind his team after a ball carrier sitting deep

8. greymurphy42

greymurphy42 Member

Country Flag:
    A little update...

Had another game this evening against Andy's Skaven and won 4-2. I kept the same selection as before, and he took a Rat Ogre, 4 Gutters, 2 Stormvermin, 5 Linerats and a Thrower. He put block on the rat ogre and 3 gutters, accurate on the thrower and kick on a linerat.

Obviously a much better match for me, but I was also happier with my performance, especially compared to the first half from my last game.

Just need to get painting now :)

9. coachman

coachman Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    bjj hero
    Country Flag:
    I would want a goblin with horns for busting cages and an agi 4 gobo for mobikity and receiving. While we are talking horns it would also go nicely on a blitzer

10. greymurphy42

greymurphy42 Member

Country Flag:
    I'm pretty sure I'm going to take an ag 4 goblin for day 2, and I'm considering block on the other thrower, horns on a goblin, and maybe big hand on another goblin. Other considerations could be sure feet, sprint, 2 heads, or maybe even claw. :D

11. greymurphy42

greymurphy42 Member

Country Flag:
    Day one over, and I went 1/1/1. Lost to a dark elf team first up, and then got a draw and a win against high elves. I'm pretty pleased with how it's going...a little more luck and I think I could have gone a bit better. I took KOR on the thrower today rather than extra arms, and it definitely helped getting the ball up to half way. I can see a lot of people taking tackle tomorrow with their extra 100k, as there are a boat load of elves. I think there are 5 dark elf teams, a couple of high elf, wood elf and skaven.

12. One Million Monkeys

One Million Monkeys Member

Country Flag:
    You are already on your way.
    I myself have been thinking about a TV1100 Underworld team. In my environment I'm allowed to pick 6 normal skills.
    I would go:
    Troll - Tentacles
    Storm Vermin: Guard
    Storm Vermin: Claw
    Goblin: Two Heads
    Goblin: Two Heads
    Thrower: Extra Arm
    Linerat: Wretsle

13. greymurphy42

greymurphy42 Member

Country Flag:
    Day 2 finished with 1 win (orcs) and 2 losses (norse and skaven). I finished 11th out of 16 teams, and almost won the most injured award :D Thinking back to the losses, losing skaven players early certainly seemed to contribute to the losses. The game against the orcs I didn't suffer [but killed a black orc :)], the norse game was fairly even in the first half, but I suffered in the second (including losing my troll to a thrown rock!), and the skaven caused injuries like my team wasn't wearing armour

The final table and awards given out are here: -

Aftermath Gaming Club's Tournaments Site

14. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Well, a difficult team and you ended up nicely in the middle. (Sort of) Yay! :D

15. greymurphy42

greymurphy42 Member

Country Flag:

Next question...

I'm thinking about going to CamDub in December, and I could do with some help! Coaches may spend 1.1m GC upon their rosters. Stars are allowed, but only after 11 normal players. Wizards and other Inducements are not allowed. The skills are allocated in a tier system, and Underworld can take 7 skills. The twist is that they all have to be doubles skills!

The troll getting block is easy, but what about everyone else? Dodge on everyone? It's what I've taken on my MBBL team for the three players that have doubled on their skill rolls, but I don't know if that'd be the best use of the skills.

As for the roster...

1 * Troll
    2 * Blitzer
    2 * Thrower
    2 * Linemen
    4 * Goblin
    2 * RR
    Skitter Stab-Stab

and then one from

Fezglitch
    Bomber + Apoth
    Bomber + goblin
    2 * goblin
    Apoth + goblin

Thanks in advance :)

16. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Guard on one Goblin, Wrestle on another and Strip Ball on a third sounds like good cagebusting fun. :p

17. greymurphy42

greymurphy42 Member

Country Flag:
    Funnily enough I was considering giving skills to the goblins, as they start with dodge making them more survivable than the linemen and throwers who don't have any survival skills

18. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Speaking of survival, I could see an apothecary being useful to keep your skavens running longer. (Or your elite goblins, if you build those)

Block troll, 2 Sidestep Stormvermins, Guard Goblin, Wrestle Goblin, Strip Ball Goblin, Block Goblin?

Skitter is good, but is he worth 2 Rerolls?

19. greymurphy42

greymurphy42 Member

Country Flag:
    Took my Underworld to Bunker Bowl in Chelmsford this weekend and finished 16th out of 34 with a 2/2/2 record. It was a 1.1 million, no stars or inducements, 1 double and 4 normal skills. I took claw on the troll, block on a thrower, 2 wrestle linerats and strip ball on a goblin.

My two losses were to dwarf teams (both 1-0), I drew against Skaven (1-1) and Norse(2-2), and beat Skaven and Dark Elves(both 2-1).

Highlight of the weekend is probably a goblin making a -2D block on a dwarf runner (block) :pow: :pow: and KOing him as he was stalling on my TD line. Unfortunately, the ball stayed in play (5/8th chance of it going into the crowd), and the dwarf player managed the pick up :mad:

There's some video from the first round here: -

dwadland's Channel - YouTube

A fun weekend, and a proper mid table finish to boot :D

20. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Nice premises, good result.. but why was there no collection of Chelmsford 123 as a prize? :p