1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1 More Day! (For new Blood Bowl Boxed set)

Discussion in 'General Blood Bowl News and Discussion' started by sapender, Nov 24, 2016.

1. sapender

sapender New Member

Country Flag:
    I'm waiting for more sneak peaks... I'm constantly scouring the internet for more details about the new box set (anyone else guilty of this or am I the only obsessive/crazed fool?)
    What are your best sources for information?

I plan on using the Orcs from the base set... I am hopeful but not counting on blisters to fill out my Orc team when I get my box set on November 25th. I am dreaming but I hope that GW might surprise us with other teams from the Season 1 expansion on release day. I am also hoping someone out there actually plays Humans and wants to trade me their Orcs minis for my Human minis.

I love that the game is getting a modern update and all of the changes thus far I fully embrace.

Thanks GW.

2. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    I edited the thread title somewhat.

I've got the old rules and figures, I don't need any box with untested rules based on weird fluff. :eek:

3. cjblackburn

cjblackburn Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    cjblackburn
    Country Flag:
    I'm buying the box and all the books and thats probably it. I have to admit I approached the new box remembering what happened to Warhammer. I never really got in to it but there was a big scene round here which has been completely shattered by AoS. GW were never not going to add fluffy rules to BB. They are happy for 1 in 6 die roles to determine 40k and a toss of a coin can determine AoS. The fact that the rules they are adding seem to be minor/optional leaves me relieved more than anything.

4. Ilgoth

Ilgoth Courier Staff

Steam Username:
    Ilgoth
    Cyanide Username:
    Ilgoth
    Country Flag:
    I will see, if I end up buying the box. I am tempted, as humans and orcs are in my top 4 races.

5. cjblackburn

Cyanide Username:
    cjblackburn
    Country Flag:
    I have the box and deadzone. It's a new BB alright.

Initial impressions are that the cards are going to need some house rules as the two packs have such a difference in power. I imagine the rule will be you can only select from Random Events. I can see myself getting used to having a free card but even that could ruin some teams day depending in whats drawn.

In terms of miniatures they are nice (not really my area) and I reckon you can get close to the standard teams. The Orcs all look pretty similar (apart from the thrower) so with the stickers or a slightly different paint job you could get 4 BOBs, 4 Blitzers, 2 Throwers and 2 Lineorcs. The Humans are defined by their helmets which look like you can switch round, I've not tried it yet. My initial idea is the grand one goes on the Thrower, the 6 mid range ones go on the Blitzers and Catchers with the 4 plain ones on the Linemen. Making 2 Throwers, 4 Blitzers, 2 Catchers and 4 Linemen. Will have a go later.

I'm happy with all the bits so far but I've only just opened it. If nothing else it makes a good starter set for all the bits.

6. Zoraster

Zoraster Active Member

Country Flag:
    Estimated lifespan of the range ruler? I still have the original day one ruler from 2nd edition that has done sterling service for a couple of decades. These new era plastic monstrosities won't survive even a year of regular TT action I expect.

The league rules are promising, far better than Cyanide's new take on aging. Will need to play with the numbers a bit to suit individual leagues but as a core means of adding a bit of much needed attrition it looks a good starting point.

The name changes are risible and will be ignored by everyone I expect. Flings also hardly needed a boost unless timmm-ber was meant to be accompanied by the return of loner. Very glad to hear the new skill wasn't meant to be added to wood elf trees too though.

7. tys123

tys123 Courier Staff

Country Flag:
    The best boost for Flings is making the squares a bit bigger.
    It was hell trying to get 3 trees to stand next to each other.
    They ended up taking up most of the squares next to them as well.

Just picked up my copy so I will have a closer look at it when I get home from work.

8. Zoraster

Zoraster Active Member

Country Flag:
    Tell me about it... I ended up creating some slim downed treeman models. Honestly don't think the new pitch will help much in this respect.

9. cjblackburn

Cyanide Username:
    cjblackburn
    Country Flag:
    My range ruler will be fine. I hardly ever throw team mates. ;)

Chef is back and still no Wizard. :(

I suspect there are going to be more wizard options in another update.

10. cjblackburn

Cyanide Username:
    cjblackburn
    Country Flag:
    I'm calling it now biggest change. Pick 3 players one of them gets the MVP.

11. sbr32

sbr32 Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    sbr32
    Country Flag:
    Yeah that's huge and a surprise when I saw it.

12. tys123

tys123 Courier Staff

Country Flag:
    It means linemen are going to be leveling up quicker.

They have also made Claw a bit worse as you can't combine it with MB on the armour roll.
    Plus where is Piling On?

13. Ilgoth

Ilgoth Courier Staff

Steam Username:
    Ilgoth
    Cyanide Username:
    Ilgoth
    Country Flag:
    So, could someone give me exact dimensions of the new squares on the pitch? Would know which bases are fitting for my skavens.

14. tys123

tys123 Courier Staff

Country Flag:
    They are 34mm square

15. Etheric

Etheric Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Etheric
    Country Flag:
    Piling on is the DZ book, but has been nerfed as well

http://spikeybits.com/2016/11/new-blood-bowls-deathzone-rule-pics-spotted.html

Takes a team RR and cannot be combined with any other skill (e.g. MB and Claw). Makes it pretty weak now. I never liked the Claw/MB/PO combination as a double double should be a treble not a quadruple.

They have cut the carnage a LOT. Will make elves a lot stronger I think (even without wizard).

16. cjblackburn

Cyanide Username:
    cjblackburn
    Country Flag:
    The day one DZ errata fixes the not being modified but PO still uses a RR.

17. Znarx

Znarx Courier Staff

Cyanide Username:
    Znarx
    Country Flag:
    Personally, I think the way to fix Piling On is to have it work like a Foul action, so if you get doubles on the armor or injury roll, the player is ejected. (This is not my original idea. I've seen Nikolai II suggest this, and maybe other people as well.)

18. cjblackburn

Cyanide Username:
    cjblackburn
    Country Flag:
    I think you will still get one piling on killer in your killer teams. Leader and an extra team reroll (about 90k) will do enough for blitzing important players. You would just not use it on a random linemen. It wont rip through a team but it will take out the better players.

I'm not sure the nerf was needed (especially in TT) but I'm not sure it's the end of clawpomb either.

19. Sataric

Sataric Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    Sataric
    Cyanide Username:
    Sataric
    Country Flag:
    I think that teams with cheap re-rolls will still likely have at least one playing grabbing Piling On. If your opposition has one key player that is truly far more of a threat than the rest for one reason or another, or if the half is approaching it's end in a turn or two and you've got an extra re-roll left to burn, it's still a nice skill. But considerably worse than it used to be, no doubt. Pro probably won't work with it either, but if it does then it could make taking that skill far more appealing! I think what they wish to encourage with these changes is more of a passing / agility-based play for most of the races, not just for elves, and discourage the stacking of Block all around to make each player more 'unique'.

Does anyone know when the other official Games Workshop mini's are going to be released for other teams? Somehow I am the most excited about that! Even though Age of Sigmar was disappointing from a player's perspective, so many of the new miniatures were really amazing quality and I love how they included many extra parts for most pieces and really encouraged you to build your miniatures in a very personalized way. Would be awesome to see something like that for the Blood Bowl teams too!

20. Ilgoth

Ilgoth Courier Staff

Steam Username:
    Ilgoth
    Cyanide Username:
    Ilgoth
    Country Flag:
    I think some interview said that next team will be out in Spring 2017, as they are still sculpting the models.

Sataric likes this.