1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ogre 1100 2 Normal 1 Double

Discussion in 'NAF Resurrection Tournament Tactics' started by Dionysian, Mar 11, 2014.

1. Dionysian

Dionysian Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Taking Ogres to BUBBA Bowl at the beginning of April and need help.

Intended Roster:

3 Ogres
    9 snots
    Brick+Grotty
    3 rerolls

I have the models for this. I could drop Brick and Grotty for 2 more ogres but they won't have skills (and I'd need to find another ogre model). I feel like Brick gives me the best chance of winning the tournament tho.

Intended skills:

I'm assuming all 3 should go on the ogres and the double should be Block or Sure Hands, but I currently have no idea what to do on normals.

I'll have fun whatever happens, even if I lose every game without scoring a TD, so aiming for whatever skill setup gives me the best chance to win the tourney (altho admittedly this isn't likely to be a high % chance :p )

2. danton

danton Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    danton
    Country Flag:
    Break Tackle as a normal skill for the Ogres?

3. Dionysian

Dionysian Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    That was my first thought, but having played a lot of Khemri lately I was wondering if Guard gave me the better chance. With enough 3 dice blocks pitch removal happens, and control is relatively straight forward. 2x Guard ogres also mean the snotlings will be able to block opposing pieces away if needed. Without guard everything a snotling does is going to be half die.

Piling On seems to be the most common ogre tournament skill from what I can see, but I'm largely discounting this as people going for the most cas award rather than trying to win.

Having written the roster down I realise I've also overlooked what is probably the most competitive roster. 4 Ogres, 4 rerolls, 12 snots, 1 CL, 1 AC.

4. tys123

tys123 Courier Staff

Country Flag:
    I prefer the 4 ogre build.
    Brick/grotty aren't that much better at a TTM than a regular ogre/snot due to loner.
    Better to have a normal ogre without loner , an extra reroll and 2 more bodies.

5. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Sure Hands, Guard and Strong Arm seem like valid skill picks.

6. Limdood

Limdood Well-Known Member

Near Chicago, Illinois - in the United States of A
    Country Flag:
    5 ogres, 9 snots, 3 RR, 1 AC?

some ideas (not necessarily the best ideas, but ideas nonetheless):
    Doubles: block, sure hands, Dirty player!
    Normals: guard/PO, Guard/BT, Guard/Grab(for surfs and fouls), Guard/guard, BT/PO, BT/Strong Arm

It feels like the more ogres you have, the more explosively powerful your team will be. More ogres means harder blocks for your opponent, and possibly easier blocks for you. At 1100 TV, you can get the 5 ogres, and still have 3 RR (which, admittedly might not be enough, but that's kind of the thing with ogres innit?)

7. cjblackburn

cjblackburn Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    cjblackburn
    Country Flag:
    If you only have 4 Ogre models you will need 3 on the line on offence. So you don't want a loner in the back field trying to pick up the ball so I would say no to Brick.

You could have ten Snots and fit an appo in and still have 4 RRs. Will make your Ogres last longer.

As regards skills how about a block, a guard and a BTackle. A nice spread as with 4 Ogres they will get tied up.

8. akirilus

akirilus Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    I know almost nothing about coaching Ogres, but when I played against them, by far the most annoying skill to deal with was BT. An Ogre can BT into a tackle zone on a 2+, and combined with pitch removal it made it a nightmare to control them (plus with Agi2, they still have a 50/50 shot to make a regular dodge as followup). Granted, I was coaching a mid level chaos team, and they have trouble against anything that outmuscles them or dodges on 2+.

Since you want to win, and you won't really be able to stabilize your blocking THAT much (you could take one Block, but that's it), I would lean towards BTx2, and hoping that 70% of the time actually works 70% of the time :) .

As far as your doubles skill goes, I think it comes down to the following choice - do you want to have 4 ogres or 5 ogres on your roster? If you take 5, Sure Hands makes sense, to score via brute force. If you take 4, you will probably want to score via TTM, in which case Strong Arm makes more sense (giving a snotling SH seems a bit pointless). Of course, SA is a regular skill for Ogres, so if you have a 4 Ogre roster, BT, SA, Block might be a decent combo.

P.S. In a low skill environment, I might even consider taking Dodge instead of Block, as BD won't always lead to a knockdown (and people might be hesitant to take a turnover + MB hit).

Sorry for the rambling.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2014