1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wood Elf 12th Player for Wood Elves

Discussion in 'League and Team Development Tactics' started by DomM, Dec 14, 2018.

?

What should I get next for my Wood Elves?

1. Lineman

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Catcher

16.7%
  3. Treeman

83.3%
  4. Otherl

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. DomM

DomM New Member

Steam Username:
    DomM
    Country Flag:
    Hi,

Long time reader, first time poster. I've been playing Blood Bowl for years, first on the tabletop, then on FUMBBL and most recently on the Cyanide games.

I'm currently running a Wood Elf team on Blood Bowl 2. Last night I had one of those perfect games where everything came off and I won 5-0. I've now got 130k gold and don't know what to buy next.

My team is currently as follows:

2 Wardancers, one with Strip Ball
    Thrower with Block
    Lineman with +1 Agility
    2 Linemen with Dodge
    5 unskilled Linemen

Apothecary
    3 Re-rolls

So I've got all the basics in place but need a bench. I'm debating three different paths for my 12th player:

1) Another lineman. Elves are squishy, especially Wood Elves, and another player who I can slot in almost anywhere would be really useful. This is instinctively what I'd go for.

2) A catcher. I've played a bit with Wood Elves in Blood Bowl and Blood Bowl II but I've never really got to grips with the catcher. I've tended to find the rest of the team fast enough and Strength 2 makes him harder to use in defence. On the other hand he does offer the possibility of a one-turn TD if he gets +1 MA.

3) A treeman. Have used one before but not a huge amount. Would be a useful roadblock/punching bag in the bash-heavy open league but would also mean a large increase in TV. One tempting thing is that I've seen some people suggest that Wood Elf teams with treeman are no more successful but do have greater player longevity.

So those are my options. In the long run I'd get both the catcher and the treeman but which should I get first? Or is there something else to consider? Any advice gratefully received. Thanks.

2. tys123

tys123 Courier Staff

Country Flag:
    I'd get the tree.
    He is far better on the LoS than a lineman. AV10 rather than AV7 means far less likely to be removed from the pitch and a ST4 player needs 3 assists for a 2D block rather than the 0 assists needed to hit a lineman.
    He is also great at restricting your opponents space. If there is a tree in the middle near the LoS then once they head down 1 side it is a lot harder to switch back. That makes easier for you to stop the TD.

Catchers are nice but I would rather get the TD's on the dancers for now as they are the stars of the team.

3. DomM

DomM New Member

Steam Username:
    DomM
    Country Flag:
    Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately I'm an idiot and decided to play one more game before buying the tree. My Wardancer died so replacing him is my new priority. I'll get the tree when I've saved up.

4. Netsmurf

Netsmurf Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    You should be able to 1 turn score with MA8 any day. Set up on TT and practice - you only need to push 3 squares. For a catcher side step is brilliant also if you want to 1 turn score.

5. Viajero

Viajero Active Member

Country Flag:
    Tree definitely. I remember Netsmurf did a few years ago a statistical analysis that a Tree helps save in average a lineman or 2 per game, so it pays back in no time. Also you are going to need that Guard and Grab.

6. Veggente85

Veggente85 Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    VeggenteBBT
    Cyanide Username:
    Veggente
    Country Flag:
    In my developed team I play tree, 2 wd and 2 catchers. No thrower (player with agi 5 often do that, because you have to pickup ball in tz before throwing it).

Tree is essential. I can't play other kind of elves of his absence. 1 less elf lino on the LOS is already worthy by itself. Grab helps for ottd and a bunch of mb hits are always nice.