1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Human 1720 Human vs 2020 Vampire

Discussion in 'League and Team Development Tactics' started by r3dknight, May 25, 2013.

1. r3dknight

r3dknight Member

Country Flag:
    OK, playing my semi-final match in a private league.

This is my team roster
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is the Vampire's Roster
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My Catcher has normal roll on skill up. Wonder what to give him.
    What kind of setup should I adopt to beat this Vampire team, I have very little experience in dealing with this match-up.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2013
  2. Limdood

Limdood Well-Known Member

Near Chicago, Illinois - in the United States of A
    Country Flag:
    Get Zara

get that 5 ST/AG behemoth on the ground and foul him out

on offense, you'll need to double screen. He's slow, but agile, so stay out of base contact on offense (he'll just dodge out), put a 2-square-between screen, 3 players across, and then use a half-cage to protect the ballcarrier. Remember, he can go through screens and cages fairly easily with Hypno rolls, so you have to layer the TZs to keep your carrier safe. A normal cage won't do much. Move slowly and keep his team as contained as possible, while using your team to stay between him and the BC. Punish him when he moves single players around the sides by team blitzing them and gangfouling.

I boggle at the fact that you're playing humans without a Dirty Player (or two!). That looks like it'll really hurt you.

for the catcher....you could go dauntless, aiming at blitzing (with strip ball later) or you could grab sidestep, to protect him and give him Diving Tackle later, lastly you could go with fend, but keeping him alive could prove a liability, since you want to keep him out of contact with enemies, since he's as easy to knock over and break armor as a halfling.

Last edited: May 25, 2013
  3. Kjelstad

Kjelstad Active Member

Steam Username:
    Kjelstad
    Cyanide Username:
    Kjelstad
    Country Flag:
    My OCC next week looks a lot like this, except he has two dirty players, wizards babes and bribes are his usual MO. Zara is always a most unwelcome sight though

Who puts leader on a vamp though? Strong arm maybe but not the most useful pick there either.

4. r3dknight

r3dknight Member

Country Flag:
    My team is only 18 games old.
    And the first lineman gets Kick.
    The second and third rolled double for the two guardsman.

I was thinking of using master chef to deny his rolls.
    Taking note of his small roster of 12, there's a possibility of Bloodlust self-destructing his team if the RR is drained.

I figured his Leader pick is to keep at least 1 RR safe from this possibility.
    I was planning to drop Ogre too and just swap in a dirty player lineman if it's really necessary. (Is an Ogre even going to be useful at this point?)
    As for Strong Arm - your guess is as good as mine.

5. Stryke

Stryke Member

Country Flag:
    Oh wow the full six vampires with only 4+Leader RR and two Pros yeah take that Master Chef and enjoy an easy game as he takes his own team apart.

6. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Unless you're playing halflings, no particular use for chef. Not nearly as useful as Zara would be at least. You'll snag 1½ reroll per drive while Zara will on average stab more thralls/vamps than that ;)

Human teams want their ogres, unless your league looks very odd.

7. Stryke

Stryke Member

Country Flag:
    I'll admit I'm biased against Zara as I played her twice and she got blitzed and badly hurt in the first three turns of both games.

8. Limdood

Country Flag:
    not quite as likely vs. a vamp team with only 1 tackle and 1 mighty blow...on the same vamp.

9. Narly Bird

Narly Bird Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    I would also go Zara if i were you. As a Vampire player myself, she is my most feared star player. +1 on stabs vs AV7 Thralls mean your more likely than not to break their armour. And even vs Vamps she only needs an 8+ to break them.

Master Chef is ok, but just so expensive for what could be no impact at all.

I would perhaps play a passing game, keeping your thrower deep and only passing it forward once threatened. Or you can just scrum it by caging and screening and encourage your opponent to put his players into contact so that you can hit them next turn (although at the risk of losing the ball).

Considering his lack of Thralls I would go very aggressive marking and blitzing them each turn. Once you get a few of them off the pitch, he will really struggle.

10. Jasper

Jasper Member

Country Flag:
    Good vampire teams can be rude. Some thoughts:
    - Hunt those Thralls down -- make having 6 Vampires and not enough Thralls a weakness.
    - Try to take out the Tackle + Mighty Blow Vampire, as that'll be his most dangerous blitzer.
    - Obviously double screen rather than cage.
    - Playing a deep Thrower on offense can be nice against Vampires, but seems risky with a rookie Thrower. Might be worth watching some film to see how your opponent reacts to it.
    - Realize that anywhere a Vampire wants to go he really wants to have a thrall handy in case he needs a snack. Often screening Thralls out or pinning them down can be an effective way to corral Vampires.

I'd forego your usual center clump defense (I've been watching some film ;-) ), and go with a more orthodox defense ("pyramids", slant in/out, etc.) so it's more difficult for the Vamps to jam their offense quickly down a flank. The Vampires can still get through, but it'll be more difficult to get Thralls through as well and they'll probably want to play it a bit safer.

And yeah, take Zara. Maybe if you had more muscle I'd take the Chef, but you don't.

11. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Remember she is a star, and your opponent will acknowledge this by trying to get her (especially since you are not allowed to use the apothecary on her, meaning easier "mission kill".

So screen her or flank her with a guard or two. Make him work at taking her out, and you might get an opportunity elsewhere while he is commiting to take her out.

12. r3dknight

r3dknight Member

Country Flag:
    Yes. I think I agree with you all. I never liked spending inducements on Wizards / Chefs anyway. Still, do I cut the ogre and introduce 3 more lino for deeper foul bench?

13. Limdood

Country Flag:
    the ogre gives you a useful road block and mighty blow (aka, thrall remover).

even with his ST5 vamp, he'll have to bring in help to get a 2d hit on the ogre...thats far more trouble for him than any other single player on your team will provide.

I'd keep the ogre and work to make him an integral part of your defense (as long as bonehead will allow) by moving him in front of the opposing ballcarrier every chance you get, even if he never makes a single block while you're defending. On offense, assign him 2 rookie or less skilled linos and have him go 2-assist, 3d Thrall hunting (your guard linos will fit this role perfectly, even allowing you to hit thralls with other players next to them).

14. Jasper

Jasper Member

Country Flag:
    I'd definitely keep the Ogre -- the more you can Mighty Blow Thralls the better. If nothing else when you receive you can 3d mangle a Thrall on scrimmage with the Ogre, while you blitz someone else with your MB Blitzer.

Plus having him around means the Vampires have to be more cautious about exposing themselves. If you only have ST 3 on the other hand...

Plus he's almost level 2 and you might roll doubles! ;-)

15. Tyriok

Tyriok Member

Country Flag:
    I think having an Ogre on a human team is a must, it really gives you some extra punch. They are great on offense, if not blitzing a way through and making part of your cage, they are great for tying up multiple players. On defense they are a great road block.

16. r3dknight

r3dknight Member

Country Flag:
    Yeah makes sense.
    Anyways, Catcher.
    Catch , Block, Dodge, Diving Catch
    Rolled normal.
    Normal and AG Access.

What to pick?
    Is Sneaky Git even a viable pick? I don't think I want to use him for fouling.
    Was thinking of Sure Feet to burn a trail when keeping in mind of the Vampire 6 MA cap.

Last edited: May 28, 2013
  17. Tyriok

Tyriok Member

Country Flag:
    I would pick SS, pretty versatile skill. Sneaky git is not really a good option, your catcher is already at 110 TV and that is a fair amount to be sent off. Leave the fouling to dp lino's.

Sure feet is useful but I would give SS the edge over that. :D

18. The Charlatan

The Charlatan New Member

Country Flag:
    I'd advice against the master chef.
    I made that choice against a similar team, and while with -2 RR he had to struggle, on the second half he lost just one and could easily manage his team.

Basically, it's too unreliable for a 300k cost.

And your opponent has 5 RR, even if you manage to take 2 out he still got 3, which are more than enough (unless nuffle wants him dead, in which case no amounts of RR will save him).

Take Zara and go all out on the thralls. If you manage to BH a few he will have less and less options.

19. Limdood

Country Flag:
    i vote sidestep as well for the catcher. You need a 1TTD threat, and sidestep is an important first step towards getting one.

20. r3dknight

r3dknight Member

Country Flag:
    I want to say thanks to all who participated in this discussion.
    The game is done and I won 2-0 with Zara scoring at least 5 KOs and 1 Badly Hurt.
    That badly hurt was on turn 2 vs the ST5 AG5 beast which the opposing coach Apo'ed successfully.

Turn 1 receiving - LOS thralls 2 KOed and 1 stun. :D
    Off to the final next week!
    Thanks everyone!