1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Orc 3rd season Ork team

Discussion in 'League and Team Development Tactics' started by Balthalonius, Jun 22, 2010.

1. Balthalonius

Balthalonius New Member

Country Flag:
    My buddies and I have been playing Blood Bowl for the past couple of years now. We have a pretty good match up of teams in our league. There are ten teams, and all but two are playing different races. We've got everything from the agile Skaven and Wood Elf to the bashing Nurgle and Ogres. Not to mention everything in between.

I, personally, am playing the orcs. Currently I have a TV of 1 630K and my team consists of the following:
    Black Orc: Block, Tackle
    Black Orc: Block, Mighty Blow
    Black Orc:
    Blitzer: Guard
    Blitzer: -1 movement, Guard, Mighty Blow
    Blitzer: Pro, Frenzy
    Blitzer: Tackle
    Lineman: Tackle, Diving Tackle
    Lineman: Strip Ball
    Thrower: Leader, Strong Arm
    Gobbo: Catch, Dirty Player
    Gobbo:
    Troll: Guard

Where do I go from here? I gotta take on bashers and dodgers. Any suggestions?

2. Ian

Ian Member

I'd have probably taken Guard on the Black Orcs (unless it's not available as a normal... I lose track of the different rulesets) and I'd also try and get Block (or dodge, if you get the dice) on the thrower so he's a more suitable runner if need be.

3. Metalsvinet

Metalsvinet New Member

How many games have you won in the last two seasons?

I would never take tackle on black orcs, they need block, guard and mighty blow. You need mobile tacklers, therefore the blitzers are prime candidates for that. I would also try to build a killer blitzer with mighty blow, piling on, frenzy/tackle. Pro is not a good skill for anybody except big guys. You need the last black orc too.

4. Balthalonius

Balthalonius New Member

Country Flag:
    The First two seasons didn't go so well for me. I was a new, inexperienced coach. The mantra "Live and Learn" comes to mind. This season though, I'm off to a strong start: Two wins, a tie and a loss.

Yeah, I realize now that tackle isn't the best option on the black orcs. It's just too much of a pain to level a new guys since they can't do anything with the ball. (That third black orc without any skills has been on my team since the first season and he hasn't been able to do anything to justify getting MVP.)

The Pro and Frenzy guy is great. Re-rolling frenzied blocks is fantastic. He's great at taking down linemen and blockers, especially with an assist. He also makes a decent catcher late in the half once my re-rolls are gone.

Thanks for the tips. I hope more people offer their suggestions.

5. Zweistein

Zweistein Member

Hm ... bit difficult to reshape the team in the direction i like for orks.

first. buy an blackork! if you can spend the money ... today.

the fist blackork is depending on your league. if you got a dwarf or a guardheavy bashingteam in it, take guard. You can also take mighty blow if your league is not that Strenghtfocused.
    the second needs guard. for sure.
    For the third and fourth block is the obvious skill. then guard or mighty blow similar to the first one.

with the blitzers. Tjo. the first stand firm + mighty blow. fpr the second i' would like piling on. the third needs a tackle or mighty blow. better both. and the last one guard..

the lineman are interesting. block for the first. than he's mean.
    wrestle for the second. then he can hunt for the ballcarrier. he's a bit slow for this job but wrstle combines good with the alrdy taken skill and with wrestle alone he still might cause some trouble for the blockheavy teams.

the thrower can make good use of block. but kickoff-return is nice too. thats up to you.

two gobos and an troll. hm ... strong arm for the Troll! ... if he cant take block that is. the coolest orcmove i'd ever seen was an thrown gobo in the oposing half on first orcoffence turn! the gobo running wild behind the lines tied down 2 defeners and messed up half of the defenceline.

6. Balthalonius

Balthalonius New Member

Country Flag:
    So a quick update:

Black Orc: Block, Mighty Blow
    Black Orc:
    Black Orc:
    Blitzer: -1 AG, Guard, Mighty Blow
    Blitzer: -1 MV, Guard, Mighty Blow
    Blitzer: Pro, Frenzy, Mighty Blow
    Thrower: Leader, Strong Arm
    Thrower:
    Gobbo: Catch, Dirty Player
    Gobbo:

I decided to keep the BO with tackle for my games against Ogres. He's able to run into the fray and pound the snot out of snotlings without much fear of an ogre barreling down on him. He's also not bad to have to throw down tackle zones along the sidelines where Gutter Runners love to try and sneak by.

The Blitzer with pro has turned out to be a nasty devil. He's charged down Bull Centaurs, Ogres, Trolls and everything else. On the odd occasion he rolls a one with two dice against me but his Pro has on several occasions saved his green ass.

As always comments are appreciated.

7. Coach

Coach Administrator Head Coach

Country Flag:
    15 players is quite a lot for Orcs. Does the Strip ball Lineman help you out much, I would consider getting rid of him and a Goblin to cut your TV down.

How many rerolls do you have? What is your TV like compared to other teams. If you are giving away inducements then I would really consider ditching the two players. Having them on the bench when they are hardly going to come into play is just helping your opponents.

If your tv is lower then perhaps you can induce extra rerolls if you need it (you mentioned Pro is helping at the end of drives when you have run out). Wizards are also great (Bloodweiser Babes and Apothecaries aren't as useful on a high armour team) if your league allows them.

If your TV is around average, then cutting those players will drop your TV in order to perhaps get those nice inducements.

I would also look to replace the -AG Blitzer at some point, hopefully after you get a couple more Guard on the team to replace the one you will lose by dropping him. Blitzers tend to make the team work and being AG2 really hampers their ability, though you can manage it to a certain degree, especially as he has some useful skills for hitting people.

I wouldn't drop the Block + Tackle Black Orc, they take ages to skill up and having that Tackle isn't terrible, just not really the best option for them.

8. napking

napking New Member

As Baltha is in the same league as I, I can say that the TV in our league greatly fluctuates right now. We've got a few teams up in the 1700s like Baltha, a few struggling at our starting point for the season of 1400 and a solid group in the middle around 1550-1650.
    So, Baltha is at the top of the list in TV and in the middle of the pack in standings.

I wonder about losing the second Thrower and a gobbo. My 2 cents, but then again, I'm not an Ork player...

9. napking

napking New Member

Any body got some TV managing strategies for this desperate Ork Player?

10. Murkglow

Murkglow Member

I don't know if I have any specificly for Orcs but the general ones I follow are:

1) Make sure all of your men have a job. That includes your bench warmers. It's alright to have one maybe two replacements (though Orcs are pretty tough and thus really don't need them as much, especially early on) but try not to have guys there "just because" you can afford them. Early on with Orcs I stick closely to 11 and later I'll pick up 1 or at most 2 "replacements" with no skills just to fill in.

2) If you do have some extra cash, drop your injured players. Unless it's an experienced Black Orc or a Troll with great rolls (+Str or Block or something) a basic player is almost as good and will make sure that all that TV is good TV.

Other then that, just make sure you're happy with your skill choices and let the chips fall where they may. Since Orcs are pretty tough they are less likely to lose men and thus more likely to build up experience/excess players, you generally will have a higher TV then say a weaker team who has casualties often. There isn't alot you can do about that.

Edit: Looking specificly at Balth's recent list I would drop both Throwers (I personally don't like Orc Throwers and would rather have Orc Linemen on the field), the Gobbos (maybe keeping one and if I kept one it would be the unskilled one), and replace the two injured Blitzers (and if I had the time I'd replace a few other guys to fix some skills, not to say the skill choices are bad they just are not what I would like on my team). That's just how I play though.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2010
  11. Meta

Meta Member

Country Flag:
    imo definitely drop the second thrower unless he's within a pass or a TD of a level up and if he was to get a +1 agi I'd keep him and drop the other. I use throwers as runners. Easy (ish) ball pick up, then sit in the cage. First skill would be block. If you're fortuante enough to get the +1 agi then you might be able to go crazy and play a short/medium passing game, or at least have it in the locker as an option.

I don't let my goblins get 2 skills unless they get some stat increases or doubles. They're just not worth the TV imo.

Don't drop the tackle BO. They are soo slow to skill up and tackle isn't that bad, I wouldn't have taken it as a second choice (maybe 3rd probably 4th) but it's still got some usability. I'm sure you'll enjoy it against dodge heavy teams and it should make him skill up a little faster, although not as much as MB would have.

I like the strip ball lino. Get him wrestle on his next skill up and he'll be a right pain in the a**e for opponent ball carriers.

-1 agi on the Blitzer is manageble. I'd only look to replace him when you've got block and guard on your rookie BOs.

12. beefburger

beefburger Member

Country Flag:
    I've been playing the cyanide game for a couple o months now. I have an ork lineman with block who has just rolled doubles.

So the question is to guard or not to guard???

Keep in mind I've no kick or tackle in my team. (I'm a noob ok).

Basically i need kick and tackle badly but is more guard too good to pass up?

Or dodge?

Ahhhh.

Any advice much appreciated.

13. Murkglow

Murkglow Member

Guard is pretty awesome. Tackle doesn't even compare IMO (especially since you can just get it next level up). Kick is ok but Orcs don't have the speed or agility to really make it great so putting it off for a bit longer isn't as big a deal IMO.

If you feel confident dropping the option of guard (it's a hard one to drop though) then I still wouldn't get Kick or Tackle. I'd look at things like Dodge, Sidestep, or Diving Tackle first.

Still, I guess it really depends on the what you want this guy to be doing and what the rest of your team looks like.

14. Netsmurf

Netsmurf Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    I think I would go with dodge, it helps you on defense and enables you to get your player were you need him.

15. Coach

Country Flag:
    I'd still take Guard personally, you can get Tackle on the Blitzers.

16. coachman

coachman Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    bjj hero
    Country Flag:
    Possibly leader depending on your number of rerolls.

17. beefburger

beefburger Member

Country Flag:
    Cheers for the advice, i went with guard in the end, i don't regret it so far.

18. simonslays

simonslays New Member

Country Flag:
    I always keep a lineman with Wrestle handy too. Nothing really annoys an opponent like when you mark up his killer player with an av9 guy who is hard as hell to hurt and who has a decent chance of dropping them on the floor. Especially when it's a big guy who depending on rolls, may have a hard time getting back up.

Once in a while he even gets a shot at a ball carrier and the wrestle can make the difference.

edit- I wouldn't take it on the guy with block for obvious reasons though

19. Balthalonius

Balthalonius New Member

Country Flag:
    Playoffs!

Alright, after a short season I managed to make it into the top 6 (out of ten) teams. This means I got put into the playoffs.

First match up was against humans. America's own Oakland Raiders. I had faced this coach many times so I knew what he was capable of. Every time I got the ball I caged up my Black orks, sent my blitzers running to do some bruising and my troll sauntered about with a goblin in tow.

First half the humans pop the ball lose, grab it and go for the touchdown. I get the ball again with 4 turns to go and manage to toss it off to my blitzer who makes a valiant run for the end zone to spike the ball in a turn eight touch down.

Turn two, I kick to the humans. Fight, fight, fight but I can't take the key players down. They break a hole and run for the touchdown.

Three turns left, oh-no. We roll kick off, get a pitch invasion and the clock moves back. I've once again got 4 turns for a touchdown. I Grab the ball, cage up and now it's time for some risky buisness. First turn, I toss a gobbo down field, lands on his blitzer they both go down. Second turn, I stand the first gobbo up. Then I hand off to my second gobbo on the field. My troll, grabs him and tosses him down the field as well. MY black ork busts a hole, my blitzer takes off to offer support to the gobbos.

My opponent reversed direction, runs at my gobbo and pounds him into the pitch. Unluckily for him, none of his other players can break free with a dodge. He fails, turnover.

Turn 7. I need to pick up the ball in a tackle zone. No re-rolls, no sure hands, not enough movement to blitz it free. Did I mention it was raining hard too?

My blitzer runs in, grabs the ball, dodges out and after two go for its lands in the end zone for the tie.

My opponent so furious at this concedes before his last turn and overtime and I am declared victor.

My next game, in the semi finals, will be against Nurgle. He has two more players than I do which is scary. I'm praying my guard, and more players with block can do this.

This is my team now and we have ruled that no new players can be purchased once playoffs start.

Black Orc: Block, Mighty Blow, Guard
    Black Orc:
    Blitzer: -1 AG, Guard, Mighty Blow
    Blitzer: -1 MV, Guard, Mighty Blow
    Blitzer: Pro, Frenzy, Mighty Blow
    Thrower: -1 ST, Leader, Strong Arm (Who is also MNG)
    Gobbo: Catch, Dirty Player, Sneaky Git
    Gobbo:

$210 000 in spending money for inducements.

What do you think should be done against a Nurgle team with mighty blows, blocks, and wrestles?

Last edited: Sep 4, 2010
  20. Coach

Country Flag:
    Good Luck, try and target his Pestigors, they are really the key players for him. Also if you can tie his Beast of Nurgle up with a Lineman to keep him away from your ball carrier, then look to do so.