1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Human 7 Normals and a Double

Discussion in 'NAF Resurrection Tournament Tactics' started by danton, Jul 22, 2019.

1. danton

danton Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    danton
    Country Flag:
    Takings Humans to a NAF tournament in a couple of weeks. 1.1 million and tier 2 teams get 7 normals and a double, but no skill can be taken more than twice. Also only one player can get 2 skills (neither of them a double).

Team is

Ogre, 4 blitzers, 2 throwers, 1 catcher, 5 linos and 3 rr

Block on the Ogre for the double is a no brainer. Second Block on a thrower.

Guard on 2 blitzers is also a given. Also strongly leaning towards a Dirty Player lino.

That leaves 3 skills for the other two blitzers. Am torn between a few options:

Blitzer with MB + Tackle and the other with MB or Frenzy

Blitzer with MB + PO (LRB 6 version) and the other with Tackle

Thoughts?

2. cjblackburn

cjblackburn Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    cjblackburn
    Country Flag:
    I’d go for a second catcher over the second thrower but you know what you are doing.

If it’s a reasonable size the top tables will see alot of Elves (dark/wood) or Undead/necro so I would go for MB/tackle since I imagine you are planning on playing near the top. Bash tends to be in the middle. 2 tackle or 2mb are both match up dependant but I can see frenzy if you are confident in out positioning the other coaches.

3. danton

danton Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    danton
    Country Flag:
    Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, last tournament I took an MB + Tackle blitzer and it worked out well as my opponents were dark elf, undead, high elf and amazons. Ended up with the highest CAS award with 18 and joint first (second on tie breaks).

Have a feeling this tournament will have more of a bash heavy meta though, which is what gives me pause. Frenzy would give me more positioning options, but an extra MB piece potentially works better with a more attrition focused game-plan.

4. cjblackburn

Cyanide Username:
    cjblackburn
    Country Flag:
    Well i’d probably rely on your MV advantage over MB against high AV hence the 2nd catcher. Having only 2 guard means you will get out bashed on occasion and reliably having someone who can bugger off with the ball when things go wrong will probably win you some matches. It also ties in well with frenzy as a mobile assist who it doesn’t matter if they die because you have a second one. It’s not what I’d do but if u do go 2 throwers then 2 MB is good for a full grind but I find NAF matches are not as conducive for a very conservative grind style as people often throw dice at the problem late on in the half.

5. danton

danton Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    danton
    Country Flag:
    Second catcher is an interesting idea. Would enable me to get 1 FF too. Second thrower is basically backup in case your main thrower gets taken out, but I appreciate that he’s basically a glorified lino otherwise.

Would you still go with a DP lino with 2 catchers? Wrestle on a lino would be an alternative, but I like the psychological impact that both Frenzy and DP bring.

6. Netsmurf

Netsmurf Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    I would also prefer 2 catchers, if you do get bogged down and have to handoff.

EDIT: A dirty Player is great fun as well as being a deterrent. I would prefer that over a wrestle player

7. danton

danton Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    danton
    Country Flag:
    Yeah, I do feel like fouling in this tournament. Catchers do make for mobile assists too!

8. cjblackburn

Cyanide Username:
    cjblackburn
    Country Flag:
    I would probably end up taking wrestle but DP is a valid choice and it fits better with your plan A. So if it’s what your gut says take it.

9. Supa

Supa Active Member

Steam Username:
    Supa
    Cyanide Username:
    Supajee
    Country Flag:
    I also think that Wrestle would be the safer, all around good choice. There might be a time when you really have to make a gap and wrestle helps with that (or frenzy). On the other hand Dirty Player could be nuts against lizardmen for and opponent's pombers.

In Dornbirn it would make no sense to run with more than one catcher I believe (because humans are really bashy there), but this tournament probably has different tiers, which pushes towards another catcher. Then again like you said thrower is capable of serving lineman's role and you could get damaged a lot.

I'd absolutely take one pombing blitzer. Mb+tackle is great on another, but mb+frenzy might just be a bit better. Frenzy could compensate for tackle in a way while also being really universal skill. I imagine you could make things happen with it. :D Thus I would slide more towards frenzy in your place.

10. danton

danton Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    danton
    Country Flag:
    Can only have 2 skills on one player on the team as per Rules pack. This is my take on the three options you give above:

MB + Tackle (my preference). This player would do most of the blitzing, either targeting soft targets or key exposed players. Clearly he is most effective against agile and hybrid teams, but he is also more flexible against Bash teams (see below).

MB + PO. Can theoretically do more damage than the above, but is also more constrained. Using PO can expose him to fouls or leave him out of position. Also not great when you need to target a blodger with your blitz.

MB + Frenzy. I would rather my Frenzy player act as a sweeper generally speaking, while also making the sidelines more perilous for opponents. Frenzy is harder to control and less flexible if using it to blitz with on most turns (especially on a Str 3 / Ag 3 piece).

Reason I like DP over Wrestle is for the psychological impact and as an additional way to punish some teams. Sure, it can go wrong if he is ejected on the first foul, but it can also have a much bigger impact on some games too.

Supa likes this.
  11. tys123

tys123 Courier Staff

Country Flag:
    I think a lot of the bash teams will have a MB PO player.
    That makes DP a more valuable skill than normal and 13 players gives you enough of a bench to foul.

I also prefer the MB Tackle option. If you don't take tackle on a MB guy someone else needs either tackle or wrestle to deal with the blodgers. Combing the tackle with MB means the last blitzer can take frenzy or get another MB.

danton likes this.
  12. danton

danton Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    danton
    Country Flag:
    I did some play-testing yesterday against an Orc team and didn't like the Frenzy option. I think I'll go with a second blitzer with MB instead. Frenzy is just too limiting on a human piece that does not have Str 4 or Ag 4 I think.

Also rethinking the DP lino and will probably go with Wrestle instead. I think I'll get more value from that skill over the course of the game and can still foul with a regular lino if I need to.