1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

7 rosters compared - tournament approaching

Discussion in 'NAF Resurrection Tournament Tactics' started by Nabolo/Orstang, Feb 14, 2020.

?

What roster should I chose ?

1. Woodies

2. High Elves

3. Dark Elves

4. Elven Union

5. Underworld

6. Necro

7. Skavens

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Nabolo/Orstang

Nabolo/Orstang Member

Steam Username:
    Ortsang D Blut
    Country Flag:
    Hello fellow coaches !
    I require your advice regarding the roster I wanna play for the upcoming table top tournament, swiss round, resurection.

I play BB since 5 years online, but it will only be my second tournament on table top, and, overall, my 15th to 20th games ever on table top.

In my experience so far, I struggle in attack, and I want to secure at least the draw while still being a threat in defense. Therefore I made a selection of 7 teams I’m thinking of playing. They all count a 8MA player, and they all should dipose of an efficient cage breaking mechanism.

I would love more experienced coaches to advise me on the matter :(

...because the conclusion of a three days study comparing wood elves, high elves, even union, dark elves, necromantics, skavens and underworld is that I should select High Elves ! Which doesn’t seem to be a common choice…

Note : my intention is to win, I don’t care about fun (because I’ll have fun winning if I may ! :D)

The tournaments offer bonus according to tiers, such as :

Tier 1 - Wood elves ; Dark Elves : 5 comp 0-1 double 0-2 Starplayers TV : 1.200.000

Tier 2 - Necromantic ; Skavens : 6 comp 0-1 double 0-2 Starplayers TV : 1.230.000

Tier 3 - Hich Elves; Elven Union : 6 comp 0-2 double 0-2 Starplayers TV : 1.270.000

Tier 4 - Underworld : 7 comp 0-3 double (1 double can be turned into 2x normal skill on one same player for a total of 50k) 0-2 Starplayers TV : 1.330.000

My heart choice would have been Underworld or Necromantics, but really, I want to win as it is a competition and I can play for fun any other time !

So ! I designed the following rosters, and made a comparative board with attack, defense and reliability caracteristics… It isn’t too relevant because I classified the teams comparing them to each other rather than actually marking their true efficiency… but now that it is done ! What team would you pick up for yourself ? And which one should I take for myself ? Thanks a wholelot ! ;)

ELVEN UNION & DARK ELVES
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pGrg9kxaVXjn-0LOBQXYooMJcoS0DuiO/view?usp=sharing

SKAVENS & NECRO
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ROvQDoAlc9y1ZYNnvDjCsr0gm485wNcl/view?usp=sharing

WOODIES & HIGH ELVES
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1x0jATy-4XkninjlUaWIOoxZLlE0adE-j/view?usp=sharing

UNDERWORLD
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1a-j8_8k2Yjmu6mhNi-UmJaQkNWia05ve/view?usp=sharing

Comparative BOARD :
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1a-j8_8k2Yjmu6mhNi-UmJaQkNWia05ve/view?usp=sharing

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
  2. tys123

tys123 Courier Staff

Country Flag:
    Strange rule that you can have star players before getting to 11 players.
    And I assume from the roster that it is just the final TV that matters so you can not take a skill to spend more on players.

My preference would be dark elves but with 2 blitzers with dodge instead of sidewinder and a lineman.
    Remove leader from the runner and use the extra 50K for an apothecary.
    Also probably switch MB for guard.
    With 5 players with blodge/wrodge you only need 2 rerolls.

The skaven look OK but replace the dirty player with block on a gutter. With 12 players , no apoth and lots of AV7 you can't afford to foul.

The elven union look far too fragile with only 11 players and no apoth. One of the stars needs replacing with 2 positionals.
    I would also do the same with the High elves to get both blitzers.

Woodies I would switch a reroll for an apoth and grab for block on a catcher.

If you fancy Underworld Block needs to go on the troll and if you are getting 2 skills on someone it wants to on a blitzer. MB horns , MB PO or MB Tackle

3. Nabolo/Orstang

Nabolo/Orstang Member

Steam Username:
    Ortsang D Blut
    Country Flag:
    Thanks Tys ! So you recommend blocking with the troll with underworld ? Rather than use it as a road block ?
    Also I was seeing sidewinder and his hypno as a massive threat... would you explain me, from experience, why you think that blodge dark elves blitzed could do better ?

i haven’t read anything stating we first had to get 11 players... but if it’s unusual I might want to double check :-/

Thx a lot for your answer !

4. tys123

tys123 Courier Staff

Country Flag:
    I guess it is a question of risk.

Sidewinder makes recovering the ball easier but it is a 3+ to gaze a cage corner and then a 1D block against a player that will probably have block or dodge.
    When it works it gives you a good chance of winning that game but he is also dodge and AV7 so when hit my a block MB player there is also a good chance of him leaving the pitch.
    Blodge AV8 elves are about as reliable as you can get.

So if you are playing against a more skilled opponent then sidewinder is the right call.
    Gamble on sidewinder working and you rolling a pow on the blitz as it is your best chance of winning.

However if you are the better player then you want 5 players that you can activate with a good chance of success and solid positioning combined with average dice will get you the win.

5. Nabolo/Orstang

Nabolo/Orstang Member

Steam Username:
    Ortsang D Blut
    Country Flag:
    Im surely not the better player as i still have few experience in tourney... and you don't seem to make case of sidewinder being couple with Moranion on the HE team, why not ?
    Again, thx for your help, Im just trying to understand ^^"

6. tys123

tys123 Courier Staff

Country Flag:
    Moranion and Sidewinder is a great combination if Morarion is unmarked.
    Assuming there is a zombie or something stood next to him then your 1st block for the turn is either him blocking the zombie which is nice and safe but not much use , a 1 in 6 chance of a dodge failing when he blitzes somewhere else or a 1 in 9 chance of a block with someone else coming up double both down.
    This is going to result in a turnover at some point.

A turnover near the end of the turn isn't usually that big of a deal and you can risk the 2+ dodges or 2D blocks without block skill once your ballcarrier is safe or your defence is set. But the turnover happening at the start of a turn is a much bigger problem.

So if you are playing with a bash team then you want either ST4 players with block or guard players so your ST3 block can get 2D easily to allow you to make some safer plays at the start of the turn
    And if you are playing elves you want a couple of blodgers so you can get the key blitz in relatively safely and block some players free to reposition before you start the 2+ dodge or blocks without block skill. The dodge catchers in your roster are useful as they can get into position to lend the assists but you don't have anyone other than Morarion to make the blocks safely.

7. Nabolo/Orstang

Nabolo/Orstang Member

Steam Username:
    Ortsang D Blut
    Country Flag:
    I see !
    Now with this roster we are only talking about the defense sequence, hopefully high enough on the field so a failure doesn’t punish me too much...

because in attack I shouldn’t face much difficulty to score.

So back defense, With Moranion and Sidewinder I feel like I’m a constant threat, successful or not, and I avoid the stalling of my opponent, while I can score in no time...

with four dark elves blodger what can I do ? Hopefully a double column of defense if no bad luck... which involved 4 successful dodges but would need 2 additional to block the other team... so 6 in total.

With moranion and sidewinder I need 2 dodges to remain a threat, + 1xhypno roll to effectively do a 2D block with tackle and wrestle on the ball carrier... what would I do instead with a dark elf blodger ? How would he even sack the ball from a blodger ball carrier ?

i must miss the point totally because I don’t see how those dark elves blodger are more of a threat... I understand they will keep the team together, but if the opponent team is tough and packed, I will never get in there... (no ?)

8. tys123

tys123 Courier Staff

Country Flag:
    How do you avoid your opponent stalling. If I was playing against that team the only way I score before turn 8/16 is if I am playing elves or Rats.
    You have a grand total of 2 threats on defence and they only work when used together so just blitz Sidewinder when you have the chance and you also get to hit him every time he tries to gaze. Mark up Morarion , take it nice and steady and grind to the 2-1 win.

Also if playing dark elves you don't play the column defence unless that is the best option.
    You have 5 players with block so unless your positioning was awful last turn at least 1 of them will be free to blitz. So if the cage is in contact with your players you can get the guard into play and make a path to the ballcarrier. If it isn't then at most you have 6 players in contact. Blitz the guard free if he is marked , use the guard to get another player or 2 free and then move the other unmarked players to make the rest of the blocks. If you can't block all 6 then dodge away from the last 1 or 2 unless you decide it is preferable to tie up those players next turn.
    You will be throwing 3 times as many blocks as your opponent , not giving up much ground and they are hitting AV8.
    Alternative when you decide to attack the cage you leave some of the marked players in contact to stop the easy movement of them next turn and blitz a cage corner leaving a blodger in contact with the ballcarrier. That means they will be blitzing that player next turn and trying to reform the cage so again won't be advancing and there position is going to be less organised.
    Column defence is for the last turn or 2 when the opponent is desperate.

The sidelines are your friend because of the witch so they should try to stay central. That means that they are probably going to have to take risks to get through your lines for the TD and that leaves you options. Having all the blodgers means provided your positioning is correct there will be no easy way through and you will be able to pressure the ballcarrier and take advantage of any mistakes.

You don't need to get the ball off them in 1 turn. Just keep them bottled up around half way and force them to take risks to get in range of the endzone. Then when there is an opening you strike and because you have multiple threats they can't just go down the side Morarion isn't on.

This is of course the strategy against bash teams. Against other elves you attack the ballcarrier and try to force them to roll dice and score early so you can win 2-1.

9. Nabolo/Orstang

Nabolo/Orstang Member

Steam Username:
    Ortsang D Blut
    Country Flag:
    Thank you Tys !! This is an awesome teaching on how DE should be played ! I will give him some consideration... Though, if I feel capable of protecting Moranion and Sidewinder until the time to attack comes (and I just need one succesful blow !) I don't know if I feel capable of using Dark Elves the way you describe... Sure I can be annoying in defense (but unpenetrable I don't know), but against fast team they will score, but will I ? Im confident in the High Elves passing game but no so much in the Dark Elves running one... :/