1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Halfling A Brief Fling in B&S

Discussion in 'League and Team Development Tactics' started by Mystro, Apr 13, 2013.

1. Mystro

Mystro Member

Country Flag:
    Meet A Brief Fling, my battling Halflings currently competing in Blood & Snot:

[​IMG]

We have had a tough draw so my season goal is a modest try and avoid letting any side record two wins over me and hope to sneak my way into the last playoff spot if enough teams trip each other up. Above all I want to retire this team with a tier 1 win percentage, preferably above the 50% mark. Last season we finished 7-3-4 so we have a bit of a buffer. My ambitious goal for this season is 21 points which should put me in the mix for a playoff spot provided the division is competitive.

Three games in and things have gone okayish. A draw with the CDs opened the campaign before back to back 3-2 games with last season’s league runner up rats saw a loss before finally getting our first win of the season in the return.

2. Mystro

Mystro Member

Country Flag:
    So onto the motivation for starting this thread: I have something of a dilemma going into round 4. Amongst my walking wounded I have a Tree on the sidelines leading to tricky inducement choices. I’m playing wood elves, so a nightmare racial matchup anyway. Here they are:

[​IMG]

My TV is 1020 with 12 players fit, 20k TV in AC & CL plus scope to temporarily drop one reroll. Funds are a bit tighter than I’d like to be doing that at the moment, but I have a low TV opponent the following week (Yeti’s CDs) so adding that 60k to the pot can come under consideration.

1160 difference; chef and Zara are a given so 790. A lot of mighty blow for elves. A couple of strip ballers. Deep bench. Is it worth taking the merc Tree? Generally that is a no brainer but elves can just screen a tree out of play and loner trees suck something rotten at the best of times. It probably boils down to Merc Tree and Deeproot vs Morg and a fling. This is Cyanide so Bertha for mobile ST on a budget isn’t an option.

Morg will likely get bogged down with fodder anyway but at least with him on the pitch there is some chance of getting 3 dice blocks where I need them, especially on my drives where the elves are almost certain to get between the ball and trees. The downside is I’d be pretty much committed to putting two flings on the line or letting their tree have a free pop at Morg and probably a gang foul. Neither option is particularly appealing.

3. Ken

Ken Kenny the Mechanic

Country Flag:
    I could be crazy, i think you can afford chef (100), zara(270), deeproot(300), AND morg(430) and a babe(50), that's 1150 by my count.

4. Street

Street Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Street
    Country Flag:
    He would need to sack a fling to get all 3 stars.

5. Mystro

Mystro Member

Country Flag:
    Maths isn’t the problem; stars are 0-2 unless that is another Cyanide faux pas, but even if it is I wouldn’t choose to abuse it.

6. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Err.. why not induce a second treeman since your own is out for the game? Limit of players (total or per type= only applies per game. MNGs are not counted as part of the team.

Sure, an induced tree is not as good as a permanent member since he gets loner, but at least he can soak up LOS hits for a mere 150 inducements (200 if you give him one S skill like guard or something)

So:

Zara, Morg, Chef, Wizard (950)+Induced tree with skill = 1150

7. Mystro

Mystro Member

Country Flag:
    Morg and merc tree is an option I'm considering, but I question the value. It will force compromises leaving not enough cash for the all important babes, bribes and wizard. A tree might save a fling from the line but it won't have any influence at all other than that and probably won't have anyone in its TZs all game apart from the kick off we receive. Relying on your opponent to play badly isn't a sound plan in my books :)

If I do go that path I'll probably be dropping the reroll and going Babes and bribe rather than wizard. Key to this game is going to be avoiding giving up the defensive score and that will need us to keep those WDs at arms length. I need the foul to be a serious threat which means keeping enough flings in the game.

Truth be told in some ways I may be better off giving up the early defensive score to take result off the table so I can focus on trying to trim their roster down a bit before the rematch 4 weeks hence.

8. pupkinus

pupkinus Member

Country Flag:
    I have no idea how to help or what advice to give, but I want to tell you that you rock.
    I've watched several of your replays and you make the halflings look like a viable competitive team. Chapau bas! Mad props to you.

9. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Ok, now that you have added "babes, bribes and wizard" to things that are "all important", let's go through your inducements again ;)

Zara and Chef you listed as "mandatory" and mentioned you have 790 left after that.
    Wizard, 2 babes and a bribe are now "all important", and after that you have 440 k left.

This gets you either
    1 Morg
    or it gets you
    Two merc halflings, one merc tree with break tackle and a second bribe.
    or it gets you
    Three merc halflings, a second bribe and an apothecary in case your sole available dirty player gets hurt off

10. Mystro

Mystro Member

Country Flag:
    Joys of coaching ‘flings; 4 figure inducements and you still find yourself having to make compromises :) In the end I took the merc tree rather than wizard but can’t say I gained any insight to say it was a right call or not. It turned into a horror outing with key rolls before Cyanide decided to end it early.

I won the toss and kicked. Apart from losing more flings than I’d want the opening drive went as well as expected. Both WDs were fouled off, one for the game and one KO. Unfortunately the tackle WD was the KO but can’t have everything :) The score came in turn 4 leaving us all set for the key grindy drive to level and get the numbers down. Sadly the WD passed KO roll so the leap strip ball threat was available, but nothing we could do about that.

Blitz. Luckily it wasn’t a bad scatter on the kick but it cost me a fling leaving me down a man. Most of the team was tied up, I lost the big 3 dice hits and gang foul chance on the line and we were now in serious trouble of losing the game before the break. Fortunately I made the pick up but disaster struck as my tree rooted... couldn’t afford to be without my only non-loner big guy so naturally I rerolled. Snake.

With my tree stuck on the line and my team surrounded I pretty much abandoned thoughts of a conventional drive and just played defence to avoid 2-0 and hopefully get a long shot TTM chance to level in turn 8. Part one achieved but Zara failed with 3 stab attempts on the dancer and their tree passed the vital stand up roll to mean turn 8 saw my potential score require a 3+(with skill), 4+, 4+, 3+ sequence to get the fling airborne. It broke down on the third roll with the double failure ending the half.

Still I’d reached the break still in the game, not something to be sniffed at after a blitz. This hope lasted all of a turn :) The kick scattered perfectly into the endzone and I double fluffed my pick up attempt. Luckily the scatter stayed on the pitch but I had been forced horribly deep. It got worse as my tree for the second time in the match saw the second turn of my possession as the ideal time to root. Naturally I rerolled. Snake. Deja vu :)

Turn 3 I was bogged down but the elves had fully committed giving me one last chance of securing temporary parity. I had a pretty straight forward chance to run my ball carrier up to the tree and chuck him downfield, with reasonable odds that he’d scatter out of range of any elf and in scoring position. He needed a dodge and 3 gfis, but skill rerolls for both and a team reroll available so four 2+ rolls followed by the 2+ throw and 3+ landing. Snakes on the first dodge, loose ball deep in my half and game over.

2-0 with two turns left, the slimmest of slim chances of a draw but very good odds of getting the key skill I needed ahead of the next two games. Instead I get kicked off the server and the game terminates after just one minute of the reconnection timer... obviously couldn’t deny my opponent his SPPs so a torrid set of dice end with absolutely nothing to show for it as I lose my MVP and winnings too. The winnings is a significant blow as my bank is thin and I really needed scope to temporarily drop a reroll next week.

On the bright side flings lose to everyone when they have a day like that. Against woodies they can lose even with great dice so better to ‘waste’ a jinx outing against them than during a more winnable match.

11. NodHero

NodHero Member

Country Flag:
    Your Halflings vs my Nurgle next week, pal!