1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Khemri A.N.U.B.I.S. [COMPLETE]

Discussion in 'Team Blogs' started by Mr. Ghoti, Jul 22, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Mr. Ghoti

Mr. Ghoti Member

Country Flag:
    EDIT: And here's the final outcome! Thank you all for the support, im moving on to some wood elves!!

Optimized-20191004_185234 (2).jpg Optimized-20180722_110432.jpg
    Hey guys, this might be a slow project for me, but I thought I would at least record a bit of my conversion journey into creating the All-Nehekharan Undead Bloodbowl Intramural Society, or ANUBIS for short.

So far I've managed to procure just about everyone I'll need for a team, minus a 4th tomb guardian and another metal throw ra. I wanted to keep the whole team metal for cohesion, though i do have an extra plastic model for a second throw ra. I even have some models ready for score, turn, and reroll markers!

Next is to repose the ushabti in a more punchy pose, and to attach the minis to their bases and fill the gaps with milliput.

I'm probably going with a traditional gold blue and yellow look for these guys.

Updates to come, albeit slowly.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
  2. Mr. Ghoti

Mr. Ghoti Member

Country Flag:
    I've managed to secure them to their new bases and re-attached the blitz-ra's arms. Up next is to seal the gaps with milliput and find a way to repose the ushabti arms. Sort of difficult since one arm is attached to their chest, but I will still find a way.

Used a plastic tomb king for the second thrower, but i really want to keep the metal theme going, so I'm still looking for another of the same metal great weapon tomb king, the metal ushabti with the anubis head for a 4th tomb guard, and maybe one or two more "tomb guardian" line skeletons to reach 15 models.

I also didn't have extra bases for the score/turn/reroll marker skeletons so I just kept then how they were. Should work fine.

Comments and suggestions on anything would be useful, I'm planning on building a board for them as well in the future.

Optimized-20180724_111555.jpg

Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
  3. Sataric

Sataric Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    Sataric
    Cyanide Username:
    Sataric
    Country Flag:
    Really like the look of this team, mate. I'll follow your progress closely. And I agree with your earlier statement that it'd be nice to keep the entire team in metal - It'll both look and feel better in the end that way, I reckon. Plus I find that the metal pieces are far more pleasant to play with since they're durable and the varnishes you can use on them seal the paint job in much better. Just make sure you get a really good primer before you start painting anything! :cool:

4. Mr. Ghoti

Mr. Ghoti Member

Country Flag:
    I haven't done much painting work on metal before, but would Vallejo brush on black primer be good for this? Or should I look more into a rattle can of krylon or rustoleum?

5. Sataric

Steam Username:
    Sataric
    Cyanide Username:
    Sataric
    Country Flag:
    I am not an expert in the field, so what I did was some pretty extensive research on YouTube and the likes, checking what the professional miniature painters recommended. The results and opinions varied slightly, but most said that it was best to keep things quite simple. I recently painted a Skaven Blood Bowl team that was entirely in metal and followed these steps:
    • First, wash the miniatures with some kind of neutral soap. Just to get rid of any residue left over on them from the factory. This will make the primer stick better.
    • Once dry, apply the primer. I used the regular Imperial Primer from GW because it's what I had at home, and most people said it did the trick just fine! (And I am pleased with the result.)
    • You want to apply multiple, thin layers. At least two. :D
    • After the primer is done, I also base-coated the entire miniature in the colour scheme that I had selected.
    After that came the hard part of actually painting the miniatures and trying to make them look nice. Once the entire paint job was done in the very end, I applied a thin layer of varnish. Many will say that airbrushing this is the superior choice, but I didn't have the right tools for that, and there's also risk that the varnish can end up looking very 'bubbly' and smudged this way if done incorrectly. Instead, I kept it simple and just used a throw-away brush and the Satin, Matt and Gloss varnishes from Vallejo. It turned out great! Please note that the Gloss is VERY glossy so be careful when applying that - But it looks great on armour and shiny stuff when used in moderation. I've had no issues with the paint flaking so far, which is the primary reason applying the varnish is so important - Otherwise, your paint job will slowly degrade as you play with the miniatures extensively. The Metal figurines are more prone to this paint-flaking-issue than the plastic ones, in my experience. Best of luck!

Mr. Ghoti likes this.
  6. Mr. Ghoti

Mr. Ghoti Member

Country Flag:
    Progress update, last tomb guardians came in, now i have 4 ushabti in 4 different animal skull sculpt, which feels great. Still unsure what im going to do about the arms, but I'll tackle that after I finish the skeletons i think.

Stripped another 3 skeletons to get all the linemen I could ever need, need to clip their swords and resculpt their tabbards.

Filled the gaps in all of the bases with milliput, but I need another 6-7 bases to fully finish the team. 3 for the new skeletons, 3 for the turn/reroll/score skeletons, and another for a second metal thrower.

I may or may not keep the plastic thrower, i could use him as a coach model, however i still want the entire team in metal. So the plastic guy may just get chucked in the bits box soon.

Coming together nicely, here's some closeups of the guys.

Optimized-20180729_125852.jpg Optimized-20180729_125923.jpg Optimized-20180729_125951.jpg Optimized-20180729_130105.jpg

Borke and Sataric like this.
  7. Mr. Ghoti

Mr. Ghoti Member

Country Flag:
    PROGRESS. Still looking for another metal thrower tomb king, and some more bases for my 3 other skeletons. Besides that I think My guys are ready for some paint. I'm going to add some sand and baking soda for a sandy base, then start blocking in my base colors.

Up close images of the underpainted and primed minis. I wanted to bend some of the ushabti arms with a jeweler's saw, but i think they look alright on their own i suppose.

This update is brought to you by the one drink keeping me from ending it all.

Optimized-20180802_211123.jpg Tomb Guardians in 4 flavors!

Optimized-20180802_211220.jpg 2 blitzers and 2 throwers, the one on the right is plastic and needs to go.

Optimized-20180802_211307.jpg 6 skeletons, 3 more in dire need of bases.

Optimized-20180802_211428.jpg
    Score, Turn, and Reroll trackers.

Sataric likes this.
  8. Sataric

Steam Username:
    Sataric
    Cyanide Username:
    Sataric
    Country Flag:
    I am extremely impressed. Even pre-painted, they look fantastic already!

9. Mr. Ghoti

Mr. Ghoti Member

Country Flag:
    New update! It's been awhile, and i haven't had as much time to devote myself to this team as I'd like, but I finally found some time to knock out the bone colors on the team.

Everyone is present for the roster, minus a coach model (i have one, but he's plastic while the rest of the team is metal, so it really irks me, though i might be coming into a new lot of metal tomb kings soon, so we'll see what comes out of it).

Bones were:
    Steel legion base
    Rakarth flesh drybrush
    Seraphim sepia wash
    Rakarth flesh drybrush
    3:2:1 Rakarth flesh/pallid wych flesh/white scar highlights

As a team color I'm planning on running a light electric blue to accent the dust and bronze/gold armor.

More to come soon, but here's the progress so far. Browns look a little darker than they are in person, they're really close to a dusty tan:
    Optimized-20180930_194350.jpg Optimized-20180930_194405.jpg Optimized-20180930_194445.jpg Optimized-20180930_194501.jpg Optimized-20180930_194539.jpg Optimized-20180930_194552.jpg Optimized-20180930_194645.jpg Optimized-20180930_194708.jpg Optimized-20180930_194936.jpg

My hands hate tiny details, they weren't built for such intricacies. Anyone have a good idea what colors I should make the pinprick eyes on the positionals? Or should I leave them white?

Sataric likes this.
  10. TravelScrabble

TravelScrabble Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    I like the white. Looking good!

11. doohickey

doohickey Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    I also like the white, it looks really good. Wish I could make the investment to learn how to pain minis =P

12. Mr. Ghoti

Mr. Ghoti Member

Country Flag:
    Quick update. Black and grey skin tones are on the tomb guardians, and black undercoat is on the robes and straps.

Should I put on a different accent color onto some strips of cloth? Like the long tassles on the TG? also there are little scarabs crawling over some models, particularly over the black skins and blue robes.

I was thinking of a bright bug green, or metallic green to simulate iridescence. Which do you all think would look better? A layered green up to like a bright moot/neon green, or a metallic sheen green, or even another color?

Optimized-20181007_153016.jpg

sbr32 likes this.
  13. TravelScrabble

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    I'd go metallic green, not a big fan of bright green on anything but cloth details, looks very artificial.

14. Sataric

Steam Username:
    Sataric
    Cyanide Username:
    Sataric
    Country Flag:
    This is what I'd go for. I think it will look a lot more realistic and also make this particular detail on the model stand out more.

Team's looking great so far, by the way!

Mr. Ghoti likes this.
  15. Ilgoth

Ilgoth Courier Staff

Steam Username:
    Ilgoth
    Cyanide Username:
    Ilgoth
    Country Flag:
    I love tomb guardians.

Mr. Ghoti likes this.
  16. Mr. Ghoti

Mr. Ghoti Member

Country Flag:
    Thanks! I had a hard time deciding what to use for them, and an even harder time actually finding all 4 different sculpts. Apparently between being a dead faction in a dead game with a dead sculpting method makes things tricky.

I found a comparison image of the metal ushabti and the newer failcast ushabti great bows. I think i'll get one of them to turn into Ramtut, the size is perfect for a +1S tomb guardian, and it has enough extra bling on it to be a star player. Downsides are that it will be the only resin piece in an all-metal team, and that I'll need to carefully file down the quiver off of the back.

TK_Ushabti_WiP_0.jpg

17. Mr. Ghoti

Mr. Ghoti Member

Country Flag:
    Major update! All the base or underpainted colors are now in place! Chainmail is grey, bronze/gold is ochre, and the robes have a nice dark blue to build up on. Scarabs were based in caliban green, will be layered up to warpstone glow, and finished off with a green interference medium to give it a slight metallic/iridescent sheen. Bases have been coated with mottled brown colors, to which aggrellan earth will be crackled upon for some variance.

Please excuse the awful flash photography, this wasnt my camera and i didn't want to go around altering settings so we'll all have to deal with it.

Optimized-20181114_203746.jpg Optimized-20181114_204024.jpg Optimized-20181114_204104.jpg Optimized-20181114_204150.jpg Optimized-20181114_204208.jpg Optimized-20181114_204256.jpg Optimized-20181114_204323.jpg Optimized-20181114_204402.jpg Optimized-20181114_204425.jpg

doohickey and Sataric like this.
  18. Ilgoth

Ilgoth Courier Staff

Steam Username:
    Ilgoth
    Cyanide Username:
    Ilgoth
    Country Flag:
    Cant wait to see them finished.

19. Mr. Ghoti

Mr. Ghoti Member

Country Flag:
    Here's an update with a nearly completed model! Missing some crackled aggrellan earth and sandy basing, but the blues and bronze are on! I hate blending. But other than that I think i did a pretty good job! Only 19 models left to go!

Optimized-20181130_223023.jpg Optimized-20181130_223040.jpg

Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
    Sataric likes this.
  20. TravelScrabble

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    Looks fantastic honestly