1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nurgle Advice on Nurgle Offensive and Defensive Formations

Discussion in 'League and Team Development Tactics' started by Mr Suplex, Dec 21, 2016.

1. Mr Suplex

Mr Suplex Member

Country Flag:
    Hi all. I am playing a new Nurgle team with the standard beast, 4 warrior, 1 pest, 2 RR setup and trying to figure the best way to set this team up, especially on defense. I see alot of varying opinion on whether rotters should be on the line, or warriors, and whether the beast should start on the line. Any thoughts or advice on the topic, especially from experience, would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. tys123

tys123 Courier Staff

Country Flag:
    It depends who you are facing.
    Against an rookie Orc team it doesn't matter who you put on the line they are getting blocked and are likely to be knocked down. So you are better off having the rotter going down than the warriors.
    However against a rookie elf team having the beast and 2 warriors on the line may stop them throwing any LoS blocks at all while with the rotters there they could knock them down.
    I would only put warriors on the line if I thought it would stop the LoS blocks.

3. Mr Suplex

Mr Suplex Member

Country Flag:
    Thanks. Can you elaborate a bit on what formations are typically used? Do people use an arrowhead, or ziggeraut, etc?

I've never encountered a team with so much debate about the best way to setup, so I'm very intrigued by the topic and want to get some ideas. The team has potential to stuff the line hard with 5 guys S4 or greater, but alot of people don't seem to advocate this, even against bash teams. I worry about Rotters on the line because of how fragile they are, and the beast on the line seems like a mixed bag depending on the match.

4. tys123

tys123 Courier Staff

Country Flag:
    Rotters are no more fragile than a human lineman. It is just when they get injured they are more likely to need replacing. As far as the match you are playing is concerned there is no difference between a BH and a perm.
    As for formations it all depends on who you are playing and what you want to achieve. Do you want to leave the flanks open and have your players central so they can move either way or block up the sidelines.
    Against elves I would go for a Zigguratt so they have to pick a side. If you leave the flanks open they can get down both sides and that makes it harder to block things off.
    However against hybrid and bash teams a more central approach is better so as soon as their cage picks a side you have enough players to get in front of it.

5. Ravers

Ravers Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Ravers
    Country Flag:
    Against Elves/rats etc I'll generally have 3 rotters on the line, the Beast and 4 Warriors spread 2 spaces apart 2 or 3 squares back with the beast central. Pestigors covered so they can't be blitzed. Vs bash I tend to group more centrally but again, Pests can't be blitzed. You can put your higher Str guys on the line vs lower str (or any) opponents but I prefer not to. As Tys says Rotters are not that fragile, they are there to soak up the hits so let them do that imo.

6. sbr32

sbr32 Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    sbr32
    Country Flag:
    I am very inexperienced with Nurgle (11 games on FUMBBL) but this is my "standard" defensive set up.

Nurgle1.png

3 Rotters on the line. I have 1 Block Rotter that I try not to put on the line on defense; I keep him in reserves unless I need him to make 11. I would rather put him on the line than a Warrior though.

4 Warriors and Beast in the second row. This was against Dwarves so there was a Frenzy concern and I wasn't too worried about them outflanking me. Against a speedier team with no Frenzy the outside Warriors would only be 1 square from sideline. I don't like the Beast on the line on defense; besides the fact that I don't want him hit for free, I want to choose which players I park the Beast next to I don't want to give my opponent that choice.

3 Pestigors in the back row. Need protection and will be the safeties/sweepers.

Mr Suplex likes this.
  7. TravelScrabble

TravelScrabble Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    I like that defensive setup sbr, not a big fan of ziggurat these days as it puts too many players too far on the flanks and they have a hard time responding to what the opponent does. Against a 2 turner I would run basically the same but with the pests at least 2 squares further back so that they can get in front of a receiver or ball carrier with MA 8+

8. Ravers

Ravers Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Ravers
    Country Flag:
    Yeah that's fairly similar to what I do sbr, if no frenzy on the other team and they can score quick I may place the wide warriors a space wider most times, like the player next to the Beast though, I always forget to do that!

9. Mr Suplex

Mr Suplex Member

Country Flag:
    Thanks for the advice.