1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Agility Opinions?

Discussion in 'General Blood Bowl News and Discussion' started by dodger, May 16, 2012.

1. dodger

dodger Member

Cyanide Username:
    drdodger
    Country Flag:
    Hi all, I'm a fairly new player playing the Cyanide online game and I had a question.

In my dark elf team's second match I got 2 blitzer level ups and rolled double 6's for the first and an 11 for the second.

I went ahead and took the 4 strength on the first guy, but I was wondering if 5 agility's really worth it, or if I should go with a skill instead since he's already 4 AG.

Would love to hear opinions and the reasons why.

In case it matters, right now my team's got no assassins or witches, just the 1 runner, 4 blitzers, and linemen, with only 2 rerolls.

Thanks for the advice!

2. Narly Bird

Narly Bird Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    If you are a beginner player then I would advise to skip it and go with dodge. However if you are a moderate to advanced player, +AG can really open up some great things for him.

3. dodger

dodger Member

Cyanide Username:
    drdodger
    Country Flag:
    I'm a real rookie, but I could see him becoming more of a ball handler with the 5 AG... he'd more often be the guy I'd setup to receive passes or for the runner to dump off at, or to pick up a free ball to hand to the runner, and the like, which might be good since no one on the team has sure hands yet, and of course it's up his chances to dodge too... not that he won't get dodge skill next regardless to counter stumbles.

I can see the pros and cons, just having trouble quantifying them.

4. Boffa

Boffa Active Member

Country Flag:
    Agility 5 means if you take leap later you can leap on 2+. Also means you can catch/pick up or dodge with 1 TZ on a 2+. Throw the ball further on a 2+ etc etc. Very useful. Because Dark Elf get 4 blitzers I can't see any reason not to take it. Although if they only had 1 blitzer you'd still want it! Probably look to make this guy a leaper/ball stealer. You don't really want a leaper with ag4 if you can afford it (3+), and you definitely want a leaper! Next skill I'd probably give him dodge for moveability and protection. Then strip ball/leap in which ever order you want.

5. Juriel

Juriel Active Member

Country Flag:
    Early on, just having Dodge is more useful. But AG5 is useful in the long run, because it allows stupid elf plays, dodging into tackle zones and recovering the ball there and such.

6. Lebe666

Lebe666 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Take the Agility...

Remember that whenever you have a -1 penalty (Touchzone, rain, disturbing aura) only -1 is like he isn't affected. He will also be good for long passing the ball which can have more penalties.

7. Coach

Coach Administrator Head Coach

Country Flag:
    Passing skills are actually preferable to agility for throwing the ball as you fumble on a modified 1 as well as a natural 1, unlike most other agility related rolls.

It is still very useful to have though, I would take the agility increase.

8. Purgatory

Purgatory Member

Country Flag:
    I coached a Woodies team for a really long time and complained that I didn't roll a single +AG level, despite skilling up many, many players.

In my new Woodies team, I have a +AG/Block Catcher, and even if he is a lot more fragile than your Blitzer, he keeps on doing ridiculous stuff like dodging through Tackle Zones, recovering the ball in tight places and tossing Long Passes all over the place.

I say take it, get him to 16 as soon as possible to get him Dodge and enjoy your awesome Blitzer! AG5 is a blessing, in my eyes, comparable to ST4.

9. dodger

dodger Member

Cyanide Username:
    drdodger
    Country Flag:
    Thanks guys, it's just a naggaroth team mainly for practice to get more coaching experience/skill under my belt, but you've convinced me to go ahead and take it and see what he can pull off.

I hadn't even considered the leap ramifications much, as it was near useless in single player against the AI (maybe because I only ever tried it a few times on AG3 wardancers) but as I've been reading about tactics I'm seeing lots of notes about using it for cage breaking and sideline plays and the like.

After getting blodge... what other skills might this guy need to be a good leaper, and should any of those be taken before leap?

10. bobman

bobman Member

Country Flag:
    A good skill for a leaper is wrestle, for knocking the ball free. But as you already have block it's probably a misser.

Good choices would be tackle or strip ball. Tackle is good all round fro blitzters to get opponent on the floor, the strip ball for a ball hunter.

11. Lebe666

Country Flag:
    Basically strip ball & tackle... which means your almost certain to pop the ball out of the hand of the ball carrier.

12. Barninho

Barninho Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Basically with Dodge and Leap this guy can get anywhere. Now bear in mind rolling a one could be costly when you leap, I wouldn't overdo it and make sure you have a re-roll in the bank, but he's a really nice option. Strip Ball and tackle are options, or you could look to give him Side Step. My blitzer at the moment has AG, Dodge, Leap, Strip Ball in that order. A double would be Guard, and if you have a blodge Leaping Guard you've got everything you need in a blitzer.

13. dodger

dodger Member

Cyanide Username:
    drdodger
    Country Flag:
    Played most of two games tonight... grrr game crashed on first one and I was ahead... and the AG guy definitely earned his keep, he ended up scoring all my touchdowns with some good dump off catches, pick ups, and fancy heroic dodging. 4 more SPP til he becomes a blodger!

14. Lebe666

Country Flag:
    Careful that he does not hog all the SPP in the long term... :skull:

15. dodger

dodger Member

Cyanide Username:
    drdodger
    Country Flag:

Not the plan... only ended up being him because of tactical decisions, not strategic ones. (=

Last edited: May 17, 2012
  16. Lebe666

Country Flag:
    But do give him those basic defense skills ASAP... no problem there.

But you don't want him being a Lvl 6-7 loner with only lvl 1-2 team mates. If he dies you go from a strong team to a rookie team in one swift blow.

:p

You will enjoy him when he levels... its absurd what these SOBs can do...

17. Purgatory

Purgatory Member

Country Flag:
    Depending on what you expect to face, I'd get him Strip Ball first after Leap, then Side Step or Tackle. Side Step for staying close to the ball-carrier or to minimize hits on him after he leaps into a cage. Also, leaping into a bunch of people without Side Step is just begging to be crowd-surfed immediately.

18. dodger

dodger Member

Cyanide Username:
    drdodger
    Country Flag:
    Ok... My AG 5 DE Blitzer now has his next upgrade... rolled 6 and 4 and COULD take +MA or +AV...

His second upgrade, so still only rocking Block in the skills department...

My only other skillups so far are kick on a lino and +ST on another Blitzer.

I did just manage to purchase my first Witch Elf, and get my team back up to 11 players from some lost lineman. Luckily I didn't lose any with SPP and got to post game hire my one loner guy who had gotten an MVP, so just about everyone on my team is very near a skillup except that Witch and one lineman.

My take is that 9 armor seems nice but might be a bit overkill, but the + to movement seems really tempting. On the converse though... he needs some skills. Argh.

Opinions, reasons why?

19. Gallows Bait

Gallows Bait Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Gallows-Bait
    Cyanide Username:
    Gallows Bait
    Country Flag:
    MA8 AG5, if you can keep him alive, is an awesome scoring threat, but it's one less available skill to build the Leap/Strip Ball defensive build.

So I would decide if you think he will be an offensive scoring threat, or a defensive threat to opposing ball carriers.

If he's offense, take MA, then look for Dodge, Sidestep.

If he's defense, I'd be tempted to skip it and take Leap or Dodge.

At least that's my view, but I am not much of a Dark Elf player. :D

20. Lebe666

Country Flag:
    I agree with GB...

... and Mv 7 is pretty good already.