1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rules Allowing extra teams...

Discussion in 'General Blood Bowl News and Discussion' started by Kolat, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Kolat

Kolat Member

Country Flag:
    A person requested to use a Slann Team in our local Open League, and I said yes to that along with Chaos Pact and Underworld teams. Just curious what people think of that, or if any of those teams are especially over powered.

It's a fun league, not overly competitive, so looking for your insight, thanks!

2. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Slann and Underworld are weak teams unless the coach is good (or they get a few skills - especially Slann can get quite scary if given some time). Chaos Pact is about on par with chaos, so still not overpoweringly good.

Most NAF leagues do accept all three teams.

3. Orient

Orient Member

Country Flag:
    they were unanimously approved by the BBRC after some fairly extensive playtesting. While the idea of three big guys can be scary, they're teams that certainly have some flaws to provide ballance

4. Kolat

Kolat Member

Country Flag:
    Thank you for the input guys, much appreciated! :D

Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
  5. Metalsvinet

Metalsvinet New Member

Yeah no worries, all three teams are less competitive than the standard top tier teams.
    Slann and underworld are soft teams recieving loads of casualties. C Pact and slann needs a lot of basic skills before they are really competitive. But all of them are fun and have a different playstyle than the standard teams, so go for it.

6. Coach

Coach Administrator Head Coach

Country Flag:
    Apart from Games Workshop saying so, those three races are as good as official. They wouldn't be in the NAF rankings otherwise and I don't know any league or tournament that uses the latest rules that doesn't allow them.

7. Kolat

Kolat Member

Country Flag:
    Some of the newer guys were all focused on the Slann and their leaping ability. Explaining how a 3+ roll w/o a built in reroll can be rough, wasn't sinking in well. And I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything!

Thanks again!

8. Purgatory

Purgatory Member

Country Flag:
    I've only ever played against Slann in a league, and never with, and even though I've never lost a game to them (I was playing OP Woodies) I think the team is rather scary once it gets to about 1750 and above in development. They have an assortment of useful skills, fairly cheap and disposable linemen, great Blitzers and Catchers and a good Big Guy.

However, playing against Slann is very different compared to playing against other "conventional" teams, and I assume that it's a different experience to play with them as well. In that manner, I think even a fairly new Slann coach can rack up a couple of wins against coaches who are not used to their style.

Once you're able to handle the Leaping, and once you learn what players to target, it gets easier. Thus, I wouldn't worry too much if someone cries imbalance at first sight when playing against Slann.

9. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Given that I'll be playing Slann about 400 TV my superior this season - which players should I hit and what should I do against leap? (I play darkies. He has two +AG catchers and one HMP catcher)

10. Netsmurf

Netsmurf Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    Hit them:D

11. Purgatory

Purgatory Member

Country Flag:
    That is a tricky one, and I think I'd aim for a 2-1 grind. Kick, if you get the opportunity, and try to hurt as many frogs as possible on their way to your end zone.

His catchers, despite being AG5, are weak and easy to get 2D blocks on. Get them out as soon as possible and then in your drive, run in your score in a loose cage and try to prevent him from getting anything better than a 1D block on your Runner. If he has a lot of Guard, this is obviously harder to do. Still, his hitting players will leap on 3+ rolls, not 2+, and I and every WE coach with me can vouch for their lack of reliability :p

I don't think you can prevent him from scoring to be honest, because it's nearly impossible for you to mark his players properly. However, if you do force him to make many crucial leap rolls, he will begin to burn re-rolls sooner or later. You might want to consider the chef just to get him from (I assume) 4 RRs to 2-3 RRs.

If you have players to spare, I wouldn't shy away from fouling his Catchers either. Their low AV means that you won't need many assists to get a break, and getting them into the KO or CAS box is very helpful to ensure victory. :) His player's aren't that fast, however, so a well-placed assassin can be troublesome with Shadowing and either force a block or a couple of dodges.

Any Tackle or MB pieces will obviously be invaluable to you. Best of luck, and enjoy the game - there is nothing quite like facing Slann in Blood Bowl. :)

12. Darkson

Darkson Member

Cyanide Username:
    Darkson
    Country Flag:
    Tell them to play catcher-less humans as a Dodging team, then ask them if they think a 3+ w/o a reroll across the team is a good thing.

13. Kolat

Kolat Member

Country Flag:
    Uppercut them in the Taint. I hear that does wonders versus them... lol