1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tactics An In Depth Overview of All the Skills

Discussion in 'League and Team Development Tactics' started by Citizen Nev, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Citizen Nev

Citizen Nev Member

Country Flag:
    Have you picked your team?

All well and good but you need to know what the skills do.

If you don't you will lose.

So welcome to...

Citizen Nev's Unabridged Overview of All the Skills

General Skills:

Block: If you roll a :bothdown: this will help you. You need to roll a dice 6 times to guarantee a :bothdown:. 1 in 6 odds are bad in Bloodbowl so this is a risky skill to take. Nev's Verdict - Avoid

Dauntless: A good skill if you are weak. But weak players don't win matchs so why are you playing with weak players? This is a paradox. Reroll to a better team. Nev's Verdict - Change Team

Dirty Player: You have to foul but they nerfed fouling so why bother? No SPP if you get an injury? Wtf is that all about? It's like when you fail a GFI and get injured your opponent goes where's my SPP? You aren't getting any bro too bad. Nev's Verdict - Nope

Fend: This skill is for pussys. Are you a pussy or a real man? What's that pussy, you slap my face to keep me away? Oh no you don't. Bam, and now you're dead. Dead players don't win games. Nev's Verdict - Pussy

Frenzy: You know that guy who you don't like when he's angry? He doesn't like you and his friend doesn't like you either. This has nothing to do with Frenzy which is a skill in BloodBowl. Nev's Verdict - Grrr

Kick: You can't kick in BloodBowl as you use your hands. This skill lets you kick but only on your turn. I've never seen anyone win a game of BloodBowl by kicking. Change your strategy. Nev's Verdict - Use Hands Instead

Kick-Off Return: See above but add Off Return after Kick. Nev's Verdict - Off Return

Pass Block: Never seen this skill. I don't know what it does maybe Blitz the Thrower? God knows. Elfs always have this but it's a mystery. Nev's Verdict - Just Don't Pass

Pro: Vital skill. I am Pro so all my players have Pro. Ever seen a non-Pro beat a Pro? Didn't think so. Pro is short for prostitute in some places but that's an unrelated issue. Nev's Verdict - 4+

Shadowing: This is the kind of skill you should give to a friend you don't really like as a birthday present. You can be all like hey I got you something and your friend has to accept to not appear rude but really he hates the present and you because it's such a rubbish present. How do you even give skills you have to train them surely? Nev's Verdict - Assassins?

Strip Ball: Yeah I'm not going in to this one too much. Way too many inneuendos. Suffice to say it's the kind of skill only great players take when they out-think their opponents in the heat of battle. You hate it when you don't have it so best take it. Nev's Verdict - Crucial

Sure Hands: Remember that bit in Ghostbusters 2 when they put the goo in the toaster and play music and it bounces? And then they put it in the Statue of Liberty and it walks around and kills the mueseum? You remember that? Yeah...Sure Hands. Nev's Verdict - Don't Cross The Streams

Tackle: Cancels out Dodge but if you don't have Dodge then no worries as it does nothing. If everyone had it there'd be no Dodge and that whole concept would become moot. This will lead to a rules shake up the game really needs. Nev's Verdict - ?

Wrestle: No. Nev's Verdict - No

Agility Skills:

Catch: This shouldn't be a skill because anyone can catch, except if you have no arms or something. This is stupid because if you have a player like this they shouldn't be playing you need to sack that player and hire another. Nev's Verdict - Hire New Player

Diving Catch: Oh this one has caused so much controversey. Nobody really understands what it should do if you Hand-Off but if you Hand-Off you aren't diving around. This is BloodBowl not diving you can't win a Gold Medal in BloodBowl. Something about +1 Nev's Verdict - Hand-Off More

Diving Tackle: Ok I'd take this one on a team that had lots of players who have opponents that Dodge away from them. If your opponent doesn't have players that do that it's a waste and you should have taken another skill. This is planning and is a must for BloodBowl. Nev's Verdict - Plan Ahead

Dodge: So many players start with this skill it gets boring after a while. Won't work if you only ever roll 1's. I had a game where I rolled nothing but 1's all game. Every roll...1. It was so lame. My opponent disconnected I think he felt bad. Nev's Verdict - Rolling 1's Is Bad

Jump Up: Yeah this is one of those niche skills for BloodBowl hipsters like Juriel. Oh it's so good in XYZ situation they say but you can't use it all the time so why bother. If your guys are on the ground you are losing so this is a dumb skill to help bad players. Nev's Verdict - Don't Be A Juriel

Leap: Like Jump Up but higher and with more drawbacks. Nev's Verdict - Extreme Jump Up

Side Step: You win BloodBowl by moving the ball forward into your opponents endzone. See, forward, not sideways. People who run sideways will be crowdpushed which is bad as you go straight to the injury roll. It's like killing your own guys which is why this is a Negatrait skill. Nev's Verdict - Negatrait

Sneaky Git: I called my mum a Sneaky Git once when she stopped my pocket money. She slapped me. In BloodBowl a slap won't get you far so this is like a weak version of Block for 'Agility' teams. You don't need so many bribes though. Nev's Verdict - Fewer Bribes

Sprint: Movement is the key to winning BloodBowl which is why every player has a MV. Sprint equals more MV so why would you not take it? Seriously why not I'm asking you this one. Wood Elfs get this free proving they are broken. Nev's Verdict - Seriously

Sure Feet: This is an amazing skill for Bull Centaurs as they have twice as many feet so it's like 2 skills in one. Take it quick on them because I think there's an errata coming out soon that will close this loophole. Bad on Beast of Nurgle Nev's Verdict - Tactical

Passing Skills:

Accurate: This skill makes you more Accurate. Nev's Verdict - Accurate

Dump-Off: Worst skill in the game. If you have the ball you don't throw it away before someone hits you that's stupid. Do you ever see anyone do that in Rugby no they keep hold of the ball. And Rugby is the same as BloodBowl except they have rucks and no Elfs. Nev's Verdict - The Worst

Hail Mary Pass: So the God of BloodBowl is Nuffle as we all know. What if you don't believe in Nuffle though? There's no allowance for that unless you have this skill. It allows you to pray to Jesus or his mum I think for luck. Only stupid luckers use this skill the kind who always roll 6's. I hate those guys and I hate this skill. BloodBowl is a secular sport! Nev's Verdict -Sacrilicous

Leader: This is like Pro x2 because it makes you the boss of the game. You can only have maximum one Leader or you might have a leadership problem which is best avoided. Team harmony is crucial all the best coaches know this. I take Leader always. Nev's Verdict - Boss

Nerves Of Steel: This is not a skill for girls! Only super tough guys take this as it means they aren't scared of anything even Trolls etc. A pro tip to use this skill is run into a cage and then throw the ball. You will need Pro for this to work as mentioned previously. Amazons can't take as not a skill for girls. Nev's Verdict - Or Witch Elfs

Pass: Pass is something you do in the game. You throw the ball to another guy or sometimes the floor. If you throw to the floor rather than another guy it's called a Turnover and lots of these will make you lose. I throw to another guy as I don't want to lose the game but some people might maybe masochists. Nev's Verdict - Pass To Guys

Safe Throw: Dangerous throws will cost you the game best not to do them. If you think a throw isn't safe try a different throw. This skill allows you to reconsider your foolish action. Nev's Verdict - Safety First

Continued page 2...

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  2. Lebe666

Lebe666 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Actually you use it only once and in your oppos turn ! :p

So even worse

3. Citizen Nev

Citizen Nev Member

Country Flag:
    Pro-Tip: Just use your hands :confused:

4. TravelScrabble

TravelScrabble Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    This bit was comedy gold

5. Taaktal

Taaktal New Member

Country Flag:
    Amazing...truly. This shall be the foundation for my new teams. Coach? Hrumph, what does he know?

6. Citizen Nev

Citizen Nev Member

Country Flag:
    He has a basic grasp of the rules to be fair but needs to play more games with harder teams I think. I have never seen Coach play a game for example.

7. Viajero

Viajero Active Member

Country Flag:
    So true. No one has. There are so many misteries in life, The Big Bang, Kennedy´s death, What did I do last summer and... is Coach real or just a glorified bot? :D

Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
  8. Viajero

Viajero Active Member

Country Flag:
    You forgot a few miscellaneous skills like the dreaded "Force End Turn Click (FETC) " skill or the "Sneaky Big Guy Trip (SBGT)" skill:

- FETC skill: A player with this ability is highly skilled at positioning himself in the back field at precisely the right spot to force any opponent coach that tries to click on him to see his skills to click instead in the "End Turn" button in the top side of the screen.

- SBGT skill: A player with this ability is highly skilled at hiding under the shadow of his opponent Big Guy tackle zones and to all effects be invisible unless that coach decides to rotate the game camera and have a closer inspection. Unless a camera rotation is used any Big Guy taking a move action will be forced to an awkward dodge roll subject to the usual low agility and loner rolls.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
  9. Citizen Nev

Citizen Nev Member

Country Flag:
    I checked LRB6 and these skills aren't in there. Or in the errata. I don't do skills from older editions sorry I like to keep it fresh.

10. Viajero

Viajero Active Member

Country Flag:
    "Eppur si muove"

11. TravelScrabble

TravelScrabble Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    SBGT - Now I know why I keep making baffling dodges with my trolls

12. Ken

Ken Kenny the Mechanic

Country Flag:
    I'm glad to know I'm not the only one this has happened to. I'm sad to know I'm not the only one this happens to.

13. Citizen Nev

Citizen Nev Member

Country Flag:
    Continued...

Strength Skills:

Break Tackle: This skill is good for Dodging with people with high STR. However, if you have Dodged away from a guy you can't hit that guy. BloodBowl is about hitting guys so this skill won't get much use really. One to miss Nev's Verdict - Miss

Grab: This skill is not to be confused with Side Step which it cancels and Frenzy which you can't have with Grab. I tried to take this on my Trollslayer but it wouldn't let me becuase of a bug in game. Hopefully it'll be fixed in the next patch but don't hold your breath. Nev's Verdict - Cyanide Fail

Guard: This skill was made to answer all the questions in forums that noobs ask. What skill should I take? Guard. But I just rolled a double? Guard. It was double 6!? Guard. When you take a skill and it's not Guard you have probably made a mistake so cancel that skill and take Guard. Nev's Verdict - On Doubles

Juggernaught: Oh yeah you can turn this one off if you don't want to use it but why pick a skill you don't want to use? That's like saying you want to pass the ball and then not passing it. Your opponent goes hey what's up bro and you're like I don't know I just didn't feel like it in the end. Fair enough but if you don't pass the ball you probably won't win. Nev's Verdict - Pass More

Mighty Blow: I have this on every player first skill. If I have a player who has STR access on a double only and doesn't roll a double first level I fire them. It's a skill you love to have but hate everyone else having so please don't take this skill it's annoying for me. Nev's Verdict - Please Don't Take

Multiple Block: So this skill is the king of skills. Most players can block only once but blocking twice in one turn is unbeatable. Some say it's not great as you might have to block 2D against but it's simple if you don't roll skulls and double skulls is like 1 in 36 so it barely ever happens. Just reroll if it does or take Pro. Nev's Verdict - More Block

Piling On: You may have heard everyone saying this skill is OP and so what. If it's in the book it can't be OP or they'd have taken it out. Like if you could auto-kill anyone on a 2+ every turn and it was in the book it wouldn't be OP becuase the dev's made it balanced. BloodBowl is a balanced game and everyone has weaknesses except Wood Elfs who are OP to be fair. Nev's Verdict - Not OP

Stand Firm: I hate this skill becuase I'm a top coach who knows the value of MV in BloodBowl. This skill stops the free move you get when your opponent hits you. Why would you want to stop this it's dumb. So pass up 1 free MV every turn if you want but I'm not dumb so you won't see this skill on my players. I turn it off on Golems of course. Nev's Verdict - Useless

Strong Arm: So stupid. High STR don't play a passing game so why is this skill here? Should be removed except on Treemen Nev's Verdict - Pointless

Thick Skull: I did the maths and this is 50% less KO's for your guys. This is awesome really as KO's will win you games. If you and your opponent both KO 10 guys each and you have Thick Skull that's 5 less KO's. 10 beats 5 every time. Thick Skull - Necessary

Mutation Skills:

Big Hand: This skill does exactly what it says on the tin. The player gets a bigger hand. I would not take this skill on a Deathroller or Fanatic as they don't have any hands so there is nothing to make bigger. It's like 0 x 1000 is still 0 even though 1000 is a pretty big number. You can't multiply nothing. Nev's Verdict - Diminishing Returns

Claw: This has caused so many flame wars. People don't understand that without Claw there would be less injuries and in BloodBowl it is impossible to win without injuries. Otherwise your opponent could just line up all his players in a line and you have no way through because of tackle zones. Good tackle zone management is the key to winning and Claw helps here. Nev's Verdict - Helpful

Disturbing Presence: Yeah I don't get this skill at all. I gave my reserves this skill so when they sit on the sideline they can still effect the game a bit in my favour. But then a guy was right next to them on the touchline and passed and he wasn't disturbed at all. Maybe I failed the roll or something but it's happened loads of times. Was quite annoying as I'd left my Nurgle Warriors off the pitch just for this eventuality. Nev's Verdict - Buggy

Extra Arms: This is a bit of a confusing skill as it doesn't say how many Extra Arms your player gets. It works well with Sure Hands because it assumes that when you get the arms you get the hands too so that's even more Sure Hands. This is called synergy and is very useful for when you've picked your skills. Nev's Verdict - Synergy

Foul Appearance: Yeah I don't like this one. Say an opponent Blocks you and rolls double skulls. He goes down and breaks his armour and gets injured then you have an injury, 2spp AND a turnover. Amazing right? Well with this skill it's a 1 in 6 that didn't happen. Don't take skills that will hurt your gameplan. Nev's Verdict - Gameplan Undone!

Horns: This only works on Blitzes. You get 1 Blitz per turn. 16 turns equals 16 Blitzes. A skill you can only use 16 times in a game is pretty limited in my opinion I'd rather take Thick Skull which has no limit on how many times you can use it. Nev's Verdict - Limited

Prehensile Tail: This skill doesn't fit the fluff so I never take it. My cat has a Prehensile Tail and I never trip over its tail of course. Being true to the fluff is really important in BloodBowl in my opinion which is why I always make sure my teams fit the fluff. For example I never give plus MV to my Dwarfs and I occasionaly houserule in a Gyrocopter for them. Nev's Verdict - Unfluffy

Tentacles: Urgh, I'm not Japanese. Nev's Verdict - Anime

Two Heads: It is said that Two Heads are better than one. It's double the pleasure and triple the fun. But 2 times 3 is 6 so this doesn't add up to my mind. Unless you give this skill to 3 guys then I suppose it's ok. Also works really well with Thick Skull which I believe someone mentioned already because they stole my strategy. They must play in Auld World. Nev's Verdict - Don't Steal My Strategy

Very Long Legs: Yeah so this works well with Leap so I gave it to my Wardancers on my Wood Elf team. It is tournament legal as long as you have modelled it on your guys because Games Workshop operate a 'what you see is what you get' policy in tournaments. I also gave them all chainsaws but that's a different rule. I didn't win that tourney because of bad dice. Nev's Verdict - Buy New Dice

More to come...

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  14. Barninho

Barninho Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Wow mate. This thread has been a revelation. Now when I play people and they're all like 'Why are you doing shit like that?' I go 'I learned from Nev' and they're like 'Oh, that makes sense kind of'. The amazing thing is that I didn't actually learn anything from you because this threads only been up a couple of days so I must just be a natural, and that's why I'm not grateful in the slightest. In fact it's just possible that by making this stuff public, you've made me lose my edge. So damn you, because it wasn't going that well even with my edge.

15. Barninho

Country Flag:
    Thinking about it, have you got any plans to do a strategy guide on edge maintenance?

16. Barmution

Barmution Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Barmution
    Country Flag:
    Oh, oh... I've got the perfect name for an article series: The Whetstone! Edgy and edge maintaining.

17. Citizen Nev

Citizen Nev Member

Country Flag:
    I think you need to realise that in BloodBowl you will advance to a certain level of skill regardless of advice. If you then receive more advice through subconscious means then you will improve further without having heard or read anything. It is this that you need to realise and I'm sure when you understand you will thank me that the advice in this thread has helped you reach the next plateau of BloodBowl skill.

Re: edge maintenence maybe try a whetstone

Edit to say - You see Mr Barmution subconsciously absorbed the word 'whetstone' before I even typed it.

18. Kjelstad

Kjelstad Active Member

Steam Username:
    Kjelstad
    Cyanide Username:
    Kjelstad
    Country Flag:
    55.5 less KO, but who's counting

19. Citizen Nev

Citizen Nev Member

Country Flag:
    No your math is wrong.

You have 2 numbers. Picking 1 is a 50/50 chance so it's 50%

If you like I can help with your math but not today it's a different thread this one.

20. Barninho

Country Flag:
    I've always thought Whetstone sounded like it should really be a place in Somerset. Whetstone, Somerset. Has a nice ring to it.