1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ancient Titans

Discussion in 'Team Blogs' started by FTJUK, Jul 3, 2011.

1. FTJUK

FTJUK Member

Country Flag:
    Well a complete FUBAR on my part and forgetting that tomorrow is Valentine's day has meant that I have had to cancel my match against Gauntlegrym Defenders. There is no other date for me to play this game, so the Titans winning streak comes to a rather sad and deflating end...

My main worry now is how the OCC admins see this. I hope that they dont kick me out of the OCC:eek::confused::(

2. Lebe666

Lebe666 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Negotiate to go out another day with your GF... it sucks to go out on St. Valentines anyway... restaurants are crowded and expensive...

3. Netsmurf

Netsmurf Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    By some weird miracle alot of us geeks have girlfriends or wifes ourself, so just give the game away and tell why, then you should not be in harms way:D

4. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    People cancel at the last moment all the time. As long as you inform everyone (at least your opponent and the admins) as soon as you realize you won't be able to play, it doesn't really matter whether it is due to studies, hangover, computer failure or something else. One time is no time and this is only a game. Just try to keep your head screwed on right when you reach T2 or even 1 :D

5. Gallows Bait

Gallows Bait Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Gallows-Bait
    Cyanide Username:
    Gallows Bait
    Country Flag:
    Agreed with Dreamy - should be fine - its keeping people informed that keeps you in the good books.

No shows without any word and folks not logging in for extended periods are the problems, not people with sudden changes of plan. :)

Shame to take an admin loss though, but better that than a drubbing on the pitch.

6. FTJUK

FTJUK Member

Country Flag:
    Well after the fiasco that was MD6, the Titans next game is up against Jimxxx Choas team. They are currently 2-1-3 but look very strong on paper:-

Choas Warrior - +Ag, MB, Block, Extra Arms
    Choas Warrior - +St
    Choas Warrior - +Ag, MB, Block, Extra Arms
    Choas Warrior - Block, MB, Dodge
    Minatour - Stand Firm, Block, Break Tackle
    Beastman - Block, Guard, -1MV
    Beastman - +1 St, +1Ag, Sure Hands
    Beastman - Block, +1 MV, dodge, Tackle
    Beastman - Block, Tackle, Dodge
    Beastman - Block
    Beastman - Block, Tackle
    Beastman - Block
    Beastman - Block, Tackle
    Beastman - -1Ag (MNG)

3 RR
    1 Apo

Tv 2150

So lots of stats increases to cope with but should get around 310 in inducements. Wizard? Dirty player and bribe? Second Apo? Thoughts welcomed?

It's going to be a tough one.

7. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Griff? :p
    Else Wizard, babe and bribe (or apo if you don't see yourself clumping up to gang-foul)

Interesting warriors there. Lot of TV spent to make them receiving options, but since he has two it might well work.

8. danton

danton Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    danton
    Country Flag:
    That's an original looking Chaos team! His biggest weakness seems to be his lack of Guard. He also doesn't have any dedicated killers, but his team looks like it should handle the ball better than most Chaos teams.

How many Guards do you have now? You may well be able to win the bashing war in this game if you can force some large scrums and use your Guard advantage effectively.

9. FTJUK

FTJUK Member

Country Flag:
    Yeah interesting team and will be interesting to see how he plays them. I think Narly advised earlier in the season that he likes his passing plays.

All in all the Titans have six players with guard, but even with that the strength is still to his advantage... Might opt to receive first on this game and try to go town on his team and see what happens?

10. danton

danton Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    danton
    Country Flag:
    Receiving first could be a good plan. Also six Guard players against one, should give you a strength advantage as long as you can dictate the positioning and force him into clumps, with your Guard players in good spots.

You have a lot of MB+Tackle on your blitzers, so use them to target his goats and try and get numerical superiority.

11. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    And again - Griff is a ST4 AG4 Blodger human Blitzer with fend, sprint and sure feet. He'll give you more speed advantage than you already got, and assisted by your guards his ST 4 blocking will do great in scrums.

So unless you take a wizard because you already have too many players (how does your team look like right now?) then Griff could be a very good buy if you manage to get 320 inducements.

Of course, if you only get 310, then I stick by my earlier assessment.

12. FTJUK

FTJUK Member

Country Flag:
    This may be a silly question but if the inducement is 310, if I add 10,000 will this make it 320?

Thanks for the suggestions by the way ;-)

13. danton

danton Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    danton
    Country Flag:
    Nope - you need to put the full amount in, if you want to pay for more inducements. In other words, you can't just "top up" your inducements.

14. Gallows Bait

Gallows Bait Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Gallows-Bait
    Cyanide Username:
    Gallows Bait
    Country Flag:
    Not that I'm aware, the inducement rules are counter intuitive

the 10 cash only closes the gap and reduces the amount of inducement, I think.

Edit: To get 320 you would have to put 320 in, if I understand it right.

Putting cash in is really only handy for the higher TV player or in exceptions such as spending 50k to turn a 40k nothing into a 50k babe etc.

15. FTJUK

FTJUK Member

Country Flag:
    Well just played my match, which ended 1-1! Not sure how as second half I was completely outplayed with only double skulls on a mino block (no reroll due to loner) on last turn preventing what literally should have been a walk in! Narly Nuffle must have been watching again as he stalled for three or four turns ;-)

In the end I had 370 in inducements and decided to take Griff and babes!

Titans won the toss and elected to recieve. The ball was kicked short so sent a few players to protect it. Aeolas fails the pick up but luckily lands in Nemesis hands. The Titans try a loose running game but have to risk a hand off to Griff for opening score!

The Mauraders then recieve and set up a passing play. They do fumble the ball but a double skulls for Ares ensures that the Titans don't capitalise and let in the easy score.

Second half is mainly the marauders running and tryin to beat up the Titans, although they do leave an opportunity to pressurise the ball. However Griff fails a GfI and KOs himself! There is also another opportunity for Aeolas to blitz the ball carrier on a single die but promptly comes up skull. He stalls for a bit before Nuffle takes a sideswipe!

Not happy with how I played as my set up and positioning was awful. Left to many players open for the Mino to crowd surf. Should of lost but we are still top 5-1-1 with the division decider up next against Humbe wood Elfs.

16. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    That's the birth of a new god in the making. ;)

Then it is true what they say - Griff can win a game all by himself. (Or at least draw it.) Did you feel you got your money's worth?

17. FTJUK

FTJUK Member

Country Flag:
    Certainly in the first half as I really would have struggled to score without him.

Second half no as he unfortunately went off KO in the 9th turn. However, if he had stayed on I feel I might have nicked it. Mainly because of his mobility with +Ag and
    Dodge. I would definitely take him again, love the man!

18. FTJUK

FTJUK Member

Country Flag:
    So next match for the Titans is the possible division decider against Humbe's Wood Elfs Kagonesti Treerunners. They look like this:

Wardancer - level 3 - side step, tackle
    Lineman - level 2 - wrestle
    Wardancer - level 2 - Might Blow (-1AV)
    Lineman - level 5 - side step, wrestle, dodge, diving tackle (MNG)
    Thrower - level 4 - dodge, Block, Accurate (-1AV)
    Catcher - level 1
    Catcher - level 6 - nerves of steel, block, side step, pass block, leap
    Lineman - level 5 - side step, block, dodge, diving Tackle
    Lineman - level 6 - dodge, guard, block, mighty blow, side step
    Lineman - level 3 - dodge, wrestle
    Lineman - level 2 - +1ag
    Treeman - level 1

3 RR
    1 Apo

TV 1800

I am staggered by how many well developed linemen (one super star and one star plus another star MNG) he has and the super star catcher may prove a real handful!

Unfortunately for this match I only have two players with tackle as Hermes is MNG. Team looks like this.

Ares - blitzer - mighty blow, tackle
    Hades - blitzer - guard, mighty blow
    Poseidon - Blitzer - tackle, piling on, mighty blow, guard
    Hermes - Blitzer - guard, tackle
    Nemesis - catcher - fend, block, side step
    Aeolas - thrower - block, dodge
    Theseus II - lineman - rookie
    Agron - lineman - rookie
    Narcissis - lineman - guard, wrestle
    Ganymede - lineman - rookie
    Sisyphus - lineman - guard
    Apollo II - thrower - accurate
    Anchilles III - ogre - Guard
    Nike II - catcher - rookie
    Heracles III - lineman - rookie

RR 3
    1 Apo

TV 1700 (1830)

So for this match I should get 100 in inducements, so bribe, Apo, dirty git merc Lino, extra RR all possibilities. Key will be to keep Ares and Poseidon safe because if those two go early this Wood elf team will dance rings round me.

19. Slyspy

Slyspy Member

Country Flag:
    I guess that Wood Elf Linos are easy to skill since their stats beat the positionals on some teams. Plus the more skilled they are in comparison to the positionals the more chance there is of them scoring.

But two players with AV6? Madness!

20. FTJUK

FTJUK Member

Country Flag:
    Well the Titans lost 3-0 in a totally one sided game. The only bonus is that we inflicted five casualties including one death. We are still second place and four points clear but trailing pack all have a game in hand so need to win next match to guarantee promotion.

The wood Elfs won the kick off and elected to kick. The ball is kicked deep and picked up by ApolloII with a few supporting titans close by. However I have made an elementary mistake of focusing on hurting the wood wlfs and not the ball and my players are spread thin and tied up. The wood elves form a defensive screen splitting my players. A failed gfi by a lino allows the woodies to knock over one edge of my cage and then sack the ball carrier. Easy run in 1-0.

Next drive starts with a blitz for the woodies who flood the Titans half and form a wide defensive screen. The titans try and be more conservative in protecting the ball but have to take a few risks to set up a possible throwing play for last turn. This requires Ares to make a few Gfi to get in scoring range but promptly roll a 1 and KOs himself. This leaves Apollo II exposed for second easy score for the woodies.

Half time 2-0 but we have reduced them to only 6 players.

Titans kick off and the woodies set up a throwing player by running the superstar catcher and a lineelf deep. Titans counter by covering each elf with two players plus Ares and Poseidon who have tackle. Nemesis and Aeolas then run into woodies half to place Tz in their thrower. It's all we can do as all the dice rolls go the woodies way for a score by the super star catcher. 3-0.

Titans receive and set up strong on left hand side and then run a loose cage with Nike II to right hand side. The woodies covers play by placing the corners of the cage in TZ. However Nike II hands off to Aeolas who tries to throw to Hades for consolidatory score. However, we forget about lineelf with pass block who places Hades in a TZ. Interception and catch promptly failed. The woodies manage to get the ball and look certain to score to make it 4-0 but lineelf fails dodge and ApolloII with support from Nike II bring down the woodelf. Game over.

I know that when the dice rolls go their way woodies are nigh on impossible to stop but I didn't do myself any favours by spreading my players so thinly and also repteatly and idiotically getting players tied up in the treeman's tackle zone. Ah well lesson learnt.

Match has got validated and Ares skills up. Normall roll. He has tackle and mighty blow already. Piling on, frenzy, dauntless, guard? Any obscure alternatives? Guard seems logical choice but Ares is the God of war ;-)

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012