1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any NFL fans out there?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Ilgoth, Aug 7, 2014.

1. Ilgoth

Ilgoth Courier Staff

Steam Username:
    Ilgoth
    Cyanide Username:
    Ilgoth
    Country Flag:
    Am I the only one, who's eagerly waiting for NFL season to start?

I'm from Finland, so I don't have too much opportunities to watch games live, but when I do, I certainly be staying up for the game.

2. skullashtray

skullashtray Active Member

Country Flag:
    whats your favorite team
    im a steelers fan

3. HC Vanselow

HC Vanselow Member

Country Flag:
    Proud New York Giants fan since 1985. I'm getting
    my NFL fix right now from visiting their website, yet
    can't wait until the season starts.

4. Netsmurf

Netsmurf Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    49´ers 4ever:D

5. mrt1212

mrt1212 Member

Country Flag:
    Go Hawks!

Loved last year and it looking forward to some great games this year.

6. HC Vanselow

HC Vanselow Member

Country Flag:
    Everything is going to be cool unless some silly
    Oakland Raiders fans pop up out of nowhere...

7. danton

danton Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    danton
    Country Flag:
    I used to be a huge Oakland Raiders fan back in the early 80s, before they moved to LA! They were the first team I ever saw play on tv when I was a little kid visiting the States. I followed the NFL closely until the early 90s, but since then my interest in it waned significantly and I moved on to other things! :rolleyes:

8. HC Vanselow

HC Vanselow Member

Country Flag:
    Glad to see the interest waned, Danton, for the
    Oakland Raiders hopefully never win another NFL
    Championship for as long as they exisy

9. Mephiston

Mephiston Member

Country Flag:
    first off... sorry for the huge post.

My American Football watching is sporadic at best. Some years I watch a few to several matches, some years I only watch the Superbowl, and about the same amount of years as those two put together I watch nothing at all.

I have two NFL teams which I like, based compleatly on frivolous reasons. XD

The first team that I started to like comes from having watched the movie Rudy back in the 90's. Now... there is a large amount of mistakes and some asumtions that I made back then which lead me to a NFL team. The main assumtion: Back then I asumed that ALL of the players who played in a particular NFL team was recruited from their own states collage teams, and I asumed this NFL team recruited their players from the school in Rudy. Main mistake: I was watching some NFL match around probably the late 90's... and due to only a vague memory of the colours the team had in the movie Rudy, I was sitting there thinking "Hmm... that teams colours looks awefully familiar to me... where have I seen them... *lots of thinking and digging in my mind for the answer* OH! I know... Rudy... that's where I know them from!" And since I had liked that movie, and liked that that team let him play, and asumed that this college teams players would then be taken into their states team... I finally thought and decided that: "Well, allright then... from this day forth, due to the movie Rudy, I am going to always like the NFL team that recruits all of their players from this college... The NFL team of Green Bay Packers!" It was probably not untill about 4-6 or so years later that I realized my mistakes. But by then it was to late, I was already a Green Bay Packers fan... and that was that. XD

The reason for me liking the second team is even more frivolous. The second NFL team I like are the Minnesota Vikings... because they have Vikings in their name. :rolleyes: And actually, I do like the Vikings more then the Packers... because even if I do like cheese... I like Vikings more. XD Vikings are my second favorit warrior from time (my main favorit are Knights).

There is actually a third team I like... but this goes back to befor any of the other teams above... befor I saw the movie Rudy. It goes back to the late 80's, I had just moved to Kristianstad back in 1989 (with only a few weeks left of 3rd grade). During that summer I was walking around the area I now lived in, and suddenly heard the low sound of cheering... but also... an unfamiliar sounds which was actually louder then the chearing (I had been something like... 300-400 meters away when I first heard it, with two big buildings inbetween me and the sound). It intrigued me, and I followed the sounds. The sounds where coming from the other side of the 7-9th graders big gym hall. I came around the corner and found my self seeing maybe 50+ people sitting on the audience "seats" (long slabbs of stone built in to numerous 100 or so meter long steps for sitting on), they where watching a game of a sport I recognized as American Football. The sound I had heard which was unfamiliar to me was the sound of when the teams clashed together, especially the sound from the helmets hitting or glancing against each other. I was surpriced that American Football was played in Sweden, and especially in my small town, in the small "suburbs" I was living in. But I stayed and watched and became intrigued by it. I was never really into sports though, never really wanted to play them either... so even if I had thoughts about "maybe I could play American Football... looks fun", it never actually happend. And then in 95 I started my "Gymnasie education" where I found my true friends, where 2 of them pulled me into playing a little bit of amature small goal Innebandy (Floorball) with them, which is a sport I played on the level of "friends playing one time a week" from 1996-2006, but also on the "amature" level in my town with my friends from about 97-06. Due to that there was no room at all to play any other kind of sports for me.

Anyway... that third American Football team I like are... or rather... where called (as I today found out they ceased to exist back in 2010)... C4 Lions. C4 coming from the Danish king Christian IV who build Kristianstad back in 1614 (yes my town had it's 400th birthday this year). He built it as a defence against the "evil Swedes"... 1658 Denmark lost against Sweden, and Skåne (including my town then) became Swedish. Anywho. C4 Lions was actually the first American Football team I liked. and back in the day, between 1987-1997 they where a really good team, winning several Swedish golds (3 of them in a row, between 87-89... which is impressicve considering they where created in 86), some silvers, and 5 times getting into the playoffs (the 4 best teams vs each other). Actually... from 86-97, the only year they where not in the playoffs was in 86. During that time they also had several juniro and youth gold medals as well. After 97 they seem to have massivly gone down... I don't know why... but I asume that it must be due to the majority of the really good players eventually quiting to play, and no new good ones being found to replace them. In 2004 my town actually got a second team called Kristianstad Predators which would only deal with junior and youth players, they where not apperantly conencted to C4 Lions at all though.

Then today I found out that C4 Lions, as mentioned, ceased to exist in 2010. The problem they had was basicly a lack of players to form a full team for the 2011 season (apperantly they where down to 15 players due to a large amount quiting or unable to play due to how the playing schedual was now). It was decided to lend out their players to the other teams for the 2011 season, and then try and remerge the team for 2012, so the remaining team was lent out.

There was talks with the Predators about merging. Since apperantly the Predators had been thinking for a few years about creating a "Senior" team. Senior as in 19+ years of age, to take part in the Swedish AF leagues (so a regular AF team). Uncertain why there never was a merge. I guess it depends on in which direction the merge would be going, which name the team would take. I asume that the Kristianstad Predators wanted C4 to merge into them... which I then asume the C4 leadership did not want to do, because it would effectivly mean that the C4 Lions would cease to exist. Then in 2011 the Predators created their senior team. And in 2012 and forward it seems like the C4 Lions never managed to come back together... a damn shame to.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2014
  10. Kaz

Kaz Active Member

Cyanide Username:
    Kazman29
    Country Flag:
    I'm originally from Vancouver so we used to watch Seahawks games ALL the time. But I watched more Canadian football when I was a kid and my favourite player left the B.C. Lions and went to the Raiders and I've been a Raiders fan ever since. That was before I knew what some other Raider fans were like :rolleyes: Now that Al Davis is dead they may actually have a chance of winning some time in the future. Sorry Sir Vanselow :D

11. HC Vanselow

HC Vanselow Member

Country Flag:
    Kaz, you Raiders fans have such fertile imaginations

12. Gyasi

Gyasi Member

Cyanide Username:
    Gyasi
    Country Flag:
    Bengals Fan here,
    I'm already fired up on the preseason games

13. Ilgoth

Ilgoth Courier Staff

Steam Username:
    Ilgoth
    Cyanide Username:
    Ilgoth
    Country Flag:
    Oh wow so many replies, didn't expect this when made the thread :D

Well I've been into american football for a year now and during this short time, I've vouched for Kansas City Chiefs. Personally there are few teams I like; Pittsburgh Steelers, Greenbay Packers, Seattle Seahawks and an underdog - Buffalo Bills! They will rise some day!

On top of that I follow NFL quite a lot, I've also jumped into playing American Football here in Finland. I moved to Jyväskylä to study some computer engineering and found out our city got one team on our primary league. Now they are setting up a secondary team for Division 3 and I'm doing my best to get into that team. I'm positive I will. :) Though I am already 21, so ofcourse that's slowing me a bit.

Keep it coming - Pre-season week 2 games soon here. ;)