1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Armageddon

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Narly Bird, Jan 14, 2014.

1. Narly Bird

Narly Bird Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Slitherine/Matrix are making a pc version of the old Warhammer 40k boardgame Armageddon. Its currently due out "before summer". Here is a link to some of the models
    View topic - Warhammer 40,000 Armageddon Wallpapers!

My only gripe (and its one with almost all GW pc games) is that you only get to control Humans/Space Marines. Although i expect you would be able to command the Orc side in multiplayer.

I loved this game back in the early 90's (or was it late 80's?) so its on my watch list. The developers also did a great job with Panzer Corp, so i trust them to do a good job with Armageddon.

2. TravelScrabble

TravelScrabble Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    Color me intrigued, I never played Armageddon but I liked the look of it. It had giant robots too didn't it?

3. Netsmurf

Netsmurf Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    yeah, called titans. And they are huge:D

4. Narly Bird

Country Flag:
    I credit the original Armageddon with saving me anywhere between $500 and $1,000. I was really tempted to start an Epic Army, but Armageddon helped sate that lust until Epic wasn't popular anymore. I could instead blow all my pocket money on Warhammer and 40k mini's!

I like the fact that they are making it mod-friendly. It would be great if we could get some dedicated modders to create all the races.

5. Mikko

Mikko Active Member

Cyanide Username:
    Mikko
    Country Flag:
    Thanks for the heads up Jimmy, had no idea this one was coming out...cant wait to get my hands on it :D

6. Narly Bird

Country Flag:
  7. Narly Bird

Country Flag:
    Release date has been pushed back until July. :(

I suppose its better that it be released in a polished state, but still... i want to play it now dammit!

8. Narly Bird

Country Flag:
    An update on Armageddon:
    The Emperor's panzers: Warhammer 40K Armageddon preview

It looks a bit different than i imagined, but still very cool.

Another review including mention of Autumn release date:
    http://www.pcgamesn.com/warhammer-40000-armageddon-waaahggame-anyone-can-play

The 2nd review has a lot more detail, including:
    "Army customisation will come into play in the multiplayer component. “Every player goes to a tournament with his own special army,” says Shargin, discussing the tabletop version. “So here, we’re going to have a similar thing. You can create your own army, save it, and use it in multiplayer games.” The multiplayer will be both competitive and casual, with a ranking system allowing players to find appropriately skilled opponents. Up to four player battles will be supported, from big free-for-alls to human vs. AI co-operative shenanigans." Hell yes!

And: "Shargin promises extensive modding support that doesn’t require any knowledge of programming or scripting. The files are easy to edit - they are plain text files - and it will be possible to create dynamic scenarios that are easy to install and make. The best mods will be promoted in-game, and mods will be listed in the same way the other game modes are, for easy access." Basically, this means you will be able to play as Tyranids, Elder, etc. etc. once someone has made some decent mods. And from my experience with Panzer Corps (also by Slitherine) there is a large modder community that do a great job.

I'm just not sure how i'm going to hold on until Autumn... :(

Last edited: May 20, 2014
  9. 20phoenix

20phoenix Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    20phoenix
    Country Flag:
    I am so looking forward to this

10. Gallows Bait

Gallows Bait Super Moderator Moderator

Cyanide Username:
    Gallows Bait
    Country Flag:
    The knight vehicle on the Imperial side ties in nicely with recent 40k releases. Quite impressed with the information so far.

11. Narly Bird

Country Flag:
  12. 20phoenix

Cyanide Username:
    20phoenix
    Country Flag:
    I hope the game works better than their login system :(

13. Narly Bird

Country Flag:
    I haven’t had any trouble with the login system, but I signed up years ago, so maybe its changed since then?

My experience with Slitherine/Matrix Games is that they are a bit overpriced, with slightly outdated graphics, but very well made. Most other pc games get released with bugs and are then patched up, but Slitherine has a reputation for having very sturdy games from release date. They also provide good ongoing support for the games and the developers are quite active on the forums, answering questions and what-not.

14. 20phoenix

Cyanide Username:
    20phoenix
    Country Flag:
    Registered on the site, activated the link but everytime I login on site the popup disappears when I click login but it doesnt log me in. Odd

Going to email support

15. 20phoenix

Cyanide Username:
    20phoenix
    Country Flag:
    Support fixed my account so now registered :D

16. Narly Bird

Country Flag:
    Beta testing has now started.

I've been told release date is slated for December.

17. crimsonsun

crimsonsun Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    crimsonsun
    Country Flag:
    I've signed up for testing but have not heard anything more since, though there's likely a first come first served system of sorts.

18. Narly Bird

Country Flag:
    Release date has been announced.
    http://www.slitherin...hp?f=58&t=53833
    For those too lazy to click on the link, its the end of this month.

Slitherine have good production values and my experience with their games are that they release them in a very complete form (unlike many, many other games which seem to release buggy as hell). Having said that, i'm surprised that its releasing so soon seeing as beta testing just started 1 or 2 weeks ago. I have a theory that their hand is being forced by GW, as they contractually have to release by a certain date or else lose the license (and i'm guessing that date is probably 30 November). I support my theory by the fact that there has been very limited marketing of the game to date, limited screenshots of the game and no in-game video whatsoever. But i'm sure it will still be as awesome as hell and I cant wait to get it!

Especially the fact that Slitherine open up their source code for modders means that there is infinite potential for this game, even though it does only start with the stock standard Imperial/Space Marine vs Orcs. I can see all the 40k races being modded into the game given time, as well as official expansions allowing for more of the races to appear.

But the big question is - how much will it cost?

19. Narly Bird

Country Flag:
  20. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    In my world the word "late" shouldn't apply to when you can place pre-orders, especially not of digital items with minimal delivery times..?