1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ash Foundry Avalanche - B&S

Discussion in 'Team Blogs' started by Yeti, Oct 20, 2012.

1. Stryke

Stryke Member

Country Flag:
    That's how I saw it yeah :D

2. Yeti

Yeti Member

Country Flag:
    Ooooi, bugg'roff you underworld sympathizers. :D
    Personally, I was happy with getting a draw against another previous champ. :p

I'm glad you found it accurate Stryke. To be honest I write these things from memory using BBM as a reminder so it's nice to know that I got it (mostly) right.
    I was definitely lucky to get that blitz off but if I remember correctly getting there (without the block) ended up being about a 50/50 with the re-roll and I've gone for far more desperate maneuvers in the past. :rolleyes:

---

As I mentioned earlier, this is a back to back fixture and we'll be playing our rematch tonight. There isn't too much change in the teams. My two injured players are back (wrestle hobgob and MB, guard dwarf) and we have each picked up a single skill.
    Stryke took MB on his wrestle skaven lineman and I am going to take guard on my +ST MB dwarf. Thanks for the advice everyone, I think this is the best way to take him.
    With the return of my injuries our TVs are no longer even and I'll be giving away around 110k inducements if I've calculated correctly. Fortunately not enough to hire a wizard... unless he pulls a sneaky and fires a goblin for our game. Stryke, if you are reading this... don't fire a goblin for our game!

My general game plan will be much the same as last time. Overall it worked fairly well and it was only a couple of stupid decisions (and perhaps a blizzard) that let me down. This time however I am hoping for a LOT more casualties, especially against a team full of av 7.
    ... oh, and I'll try to do a better job staying away from that troll. He may not have broken much armour last game... but he is scary.

3. Stryke

Stryke Member

Country Flag:
    Well yeah plus all the other dice you rolled setting it up :p

Fire a gobbo you say? Hmm an intriguing idea with points for and against. Will have to ponder that one at length.

4. Stryke

Stryke Member

Country Flag:
    Turns out I really, really should have fired a gobbo for the wizard as plan A was a failure on the first attempt and intercepting bull centaurs depress me.

5. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    More or less depressing than intercepting mummies? ;)

Last edited: Apr 11, 2013
  6. Yeti

Yeti Member

Country Flag:
    More depressing because they move faster and tend to score. :)
    Mummy ball carriers usually find them selves a long, long way from anything useful.

Stryke, if you think that was depressing... last season the other bull pulled off an interception on Dogboy's dump off just 3 squares from the line. The only thing that would have made that move any sweeter would have been injuring the thrower as I ran over him.

7. Yeti

Yeti Member

Country Flag:
    2013/04/10 - Season 2 - Match 17 (1640TV) vs. Stryke - Murder In the Dark - Underworld (1510TV)

Week 3

Well, that was a crazy up and down game with 12 dropped catches and the brightest troll ever (14/14 really stupid rolls, 6/9 blocks, 6/8 armour breaks! ouch). Normally I can get away with combining several turns into one general movement... but not this game. Something happened every turn... and I'm afraid this post might be a little long.

---

As mentioned above, Stryke decided not to fire a goblin for a wizard... which I was quite happy about. I remembered how hard it was to hold onto the ball last time without a wizard in the mix.

Stryke won the toss and elected to kick. He set asymmetrically like he did last week, with his troll a step back from the line.

The kick was deep and I gained an extra re-roll through brilliant coaching (one of the first times one of those has gone this team's way).

The game opened with a bang as my first block badly hurt his junior thrower... that's already more blood than I spilled last week!
    I knocked down the line and blitzed the troll, moving a step forward. Chert (block, sure hands hobgob) picked up ball but was too deep to get to the protection of the line so hung back out of counter attack range.

In my positioning I had left the touch lines open and the rats and goblins came pouring through, putting pressure on me to get the ball to safety. His troll also stood up and moved forward to mark Migmatite (guard dwarf).
    I got the ball to safety in a loose cage just inside my half, blitzed a goblin and tried my luck, 2d uphill, against the troll. My logic being that a 2d uphill block thrown by me was better than a 2d block thrown by him... which he certainly would have done the following turn. The dice came up push/skull and down I went. First the claw did its work... then the mighty blow and Migmatite was dead! I thought long and hard but decided to save the apothecary for someone more important. I can get a fresh dwarf very easily and it shouldn't take too long to pickup guard.

He closed in around the cage, keeping the troll in contact on the left, then knocked down Cinder (blodge hobgob) and foul him shamelessly with 2 assists. The result came up stunned but the ref noticed and refused the bribe so the goblin was ejected. This put an end to Stryke's "Plan A" of fouling out my hobgobs... fortunately, because without them I wouldn't come close to keeping up with those rats.

We scrummed for a few turns with fortunes going back and forth. I managed to engineer a 1d hit on his troll with Slag (claw dwarf) but it came up skull - re-roll - skull... thank goodness for thick skull.

The half was coming to a close and I needed to move the ball forward so I tried to squeeze the cage through a hole that was just a little too small and through some poor planning left the ball carrier next to an opponent on the ground who, as it turns out, happened to have wrestle. He canceled out my assists and blitzed on 1d, rolling a skull and then re-rolling to both down, scattering the ball in amongst my players. He pushed a player onto the ball, starting a scatter chain as it bounced off 5 corpses and was dropped 3 times before coming to rest well outside of my cage... and next to three of his players.

I didn't have anyone in position to pick the ball up so I stood up what I could, pushed two of his players off the ball and maneuvered a few tackle zones onto it.
    Once again, he pushed a player onto the ball, scattering it, once again, out of the scrum. He picked it up, and pushed forward past my defenses and down my right. I covered and blitzed, injuring the goblin ball carrier. The ball scattered into the crowd and, in a replay from last week, was thrown in, over scrum and into his half, landing near Hephaestus (+Ag bull). He duly picked up and tried to make some space, pushing a little harder than was good for him and demonstrated the anguish that only a chaos dwarf coach really knows: His first GFI came up 1... as did his sure feet, he fell, broke his armour and put himself out -AV. This time I decided to use the apothecary and dialed it back to badly hurt... whew I would have really struggle with him out for this game and the next... and then there's the armour break!

The ball was in space again and Stryke picked it up with his +AG linerat, then tossed it over the scrum to a waiting goblin, who legged it out of reach
    He spent the rest of the turn beating on me and I returned the favour. His troll KOed Slag (+ST, MB, guard dwarf), so I KOed the troll.

He wasted no time and scored with the first move of his turn.

0-1, one turn left in the half and both KOs woke up (I'd rather they both had stayed down but I was glad to have Slag back).

In my last turn of the half I hit 4 goblins with MB and KOed the gob that just scored (thank you stunty).

Half time

He started the half with 10 players on pitch.

I set in a standard zig with the bulls on the wings, he set in a defensive formation with his thrower back but the side lines open.

BLITZ!!!

The kick was out of bull range and I considered holding back and keeping the line, but I was already a TD down so I decide to play aggressively and try for the win.
    I pushed both bulls through, blitzing and knocking out a goblin on the way (thank you stunty), and then spread my line out to form a full screen.

He gathered the ball in his back field and began to form a cage. He needed a player from the line to make the 4th corner though and tried to free him up with the troll. The dice came up double skull and the loner ate the re-roll, so the troll landed on the ground and the ball carrier remained exposed.
    Phobos took the blitz, KOing yet another player and scattering the ball out of the cage but into two of his tackle zones. I moved up my players to mark his players and put tackle zones on the ball.
    He cleared my tackle zones, dodged to the ball, picked it up and dodged away, making his way up to the safety of his line but not managing to protect himself completely.

I blitzed him again with Schist (virgin hobgob) scattering the ball amongst his players. The scrum was pretty tight at that stage and for once I had the presence of mind to setup a chain push, which ended in the ball bouncing into space.
    I moved in Hephaestus to cover and tried to pick up with Cinder (blodge hobgob). This started yet another scatter chain with my players dropping the ball three times before it came to rest in a few of my players.
    Stryke responded by knocking one of my dwarves onto the ball, scattering it into the clear once again. I began to think that the ball had been greased, no one was able to hold onto it on either side.

Neither of us could reach the ball cleanly and traded tackle zones and blocks. In the ensuing scramble Dippy (a virgin goblin) gave me both insult and injury, knocking over and badly hurting Gneissose (guard MB dwarf). In response Phobos (MB bull) blitzed his MB blitzer, breaking armour and killing him. Stryke used his apothecary, reducing the damage to a smashed collar bone, but he decided to put the rat out of his misery and killed him cleanly.

He finally managed to clear the ball and picked it up with his +AG skaven lineman. He tried to repeat the success from the previous half, tossing the ball over the scrum to a waiting goblin. This time however Phobos, still high from his kill, was waiting. He plucked the ball out of the air and set off up the field. It took all three of his GFIs but he made the line, scoring the TD and leveling the score.

1-1 with 3 or 4 turns left to play.

I was now down to 10 players to his 9, both out of re-rolls

I setup in a modified zig with hobgobs on line and slightly weaker right hand side and he started to capitalize on the weakness, KOing a hobgoblin and moving to my right. He picked up the ball in the backfield and threw it up to a goblin, who fluffed the catch and dropped the ball into two tackle zones.

I re-distributed my line then moved Hephaestus over to pick it up, he failed... but caught it on a rebound, leaving him holding the ball but in contact with a couple of players. Stryke duly knocked him over, picked up the ball and once again threw it to a goblin (least prejudiced skaven ever). He then attempted the long shot TTM to put him ahead. As it turns out the troll was hungry but the lucky goblin squirmed free (on a 2). He made his landing but this left him exposed.

I blitzed gob and stunned him, then tried my own desperate long shot. Soot (wrestle hobgob) dodged away from his marker (3+), pushed to get into the ball square (2+), picked it up out of 2 tackle zones (5+) then pushed to dodge out (2+ and 3+) 10% to come off and the little bugger made it. :)

We scrummed around the side line for a turn or two, with Stryke successfully pushing Haphaestus into the crowd (no injury). Finally, with two turns left I tried to blitz Soot through the goblin will in front of him but rolled double push and had to retreat into safety. My only option was a throw. I pushed Schist (virgin hobgob) up field, in striking distance of the line but requiring two GFI to get there. Strike wrestled soot to the ground and once again the ball scattered into touch. This time though it didn't go soaring over the scrum into my receiver's arms but landed safely in my mid field.

Last turn of the game. I cleared the tackle zone off Schist and went for broke, picking up the ball with Cinder (blodge hogbob) and sending a long pass up to the waiting Schist. Unfortunately the tension of the big game was too much for the inexperienced hobgob and he fluffed the catch. Ending the game tied 1-1.

All in all it was a game of mixed fortunes with both of us failing at the least opportune times and both capitalizing on the others' misfortunes. It was a tense and enjoyable match but didn't quite have the charm of last week's... also: damn, that's one bright troll! :)

8. Yeti

Yeti Member

Country Flag:
    Eish, that was too long! I had to reduce it to fit into the character limit... I think that I must try to make these things a little more compact... if just for the time they take. :confused:

Anyway, in conclusion...
    I got a good few SPP out of the game and for a change the MVP didn't land on the dead dwarf... it landed on the +ST dwarf instead. There are other players I would have preferred it on but I'm certainly not complaining, it moves him one step closer to stand firm.
    The only skill I picked up was on Tuff (claw dwarf)... at long last. The roll came up normal but that hardly mattered I would take MB on anything other than +ST. That is definitely going to help me against the orcs next week...

9. Stryke

Stryke Member

Country Flag:
    I think I'd have preferred some Really Stupids over some of those double skulls or attempted goblin eatings :p

Still good write up man and somehow I've come out of pulling off two draws with Underworld against Chaos Dwarves, matches that before hand I was just hoping to survive, but now feel actually a bit robbed I didn't get more out of.

Losing the MB Blitzer seriously does hurt me though. Especially next week as I'm hosting +700tv Skaven.

10. Yeti

Yeti Member

Country Flag:
    Cheers Stryke. I enjoyed both of our games, hopefully we'll meet up again some time.
    Given the two draws and close games it would seem that the difference in quality of the teams made up for the difference in quality of coach quite nicely. :p

----

This weeks game is against the mighty Deathskull Stealers coached by Gnasher, another coach I've never played before. They are an old and terrifying Orc team that has fallen on hard times in the first few games this season. Aside from a virgin blitzer, a virgin BOB and two single skill throwers this is an extremely well developed and formidable team.

[​IMG]

Firstly, allow me to say how glad I am that he is a couple of players down... very... particularly that ST4 blodge, tackle, MB, guard blitzer! I'd prefer the second one to be the +ST BOB, but I'll take a block/tackle/fend lineman if I must.

So basically we have a team (fit players only) with block across the board (except for the new BOB), two St 5 and three ST 4, five MB and three guard. There is also a little bit of positioning in the fend lineman and SF troll... and of course all that tackle, but that doesn't really concern me since I only have one dodger.
    Nothing fancy, just good, solid skills for a good solid team.

My team is a little faster over all but lacks the two str 5s. After my dead dwarf last week I am also only one guard up so I'm going to have to work for my 2d blocks (especially since my bulls tend to stay out of the scrums).
    I equal him with MB but I have an ace in Tuff, my claw/MB dwarf. I suspect that he is going to get a lot of attention.

All things considered I think that an out and out brawl will go his way... at least at the beginning of the game. If I can claw out a few of his key players in the first half then I might be able to do some stand up fighting in the second. For that reason I think that I am going to kick if I get the opportunity.
    On defense I am going to be as stand-off as I can with my limited AG and leave my bulls free to harass the ball carrier and my wrestler back as a safety. With a deep kick and a bit of luck I might even be able to interrupt him before he gets into a cage... hmmm, maybe I should start looking at getting kick. Offense is going to be tricky. He is going to be quite happy to stand toe to toe, so I am going to stay as flexible as possible and try to get around him.

If I've done my maths right then I've got precisely 150k inducements. If I'm right then wizard is the obvious choice... otherwise it'll be a bribe.

Oh... and can I draw your attention to Nagnus LiteFingers? That is a lineman with 5 skills (block, tackle, fend, pro and kick)... you don't see many of those running around.

11. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Making it two kick players on the team. Odd pick, unless one was MNGd and he's really worried to be without kick if it would happen again or one of them gets killed.
    (Or maybe he lost track of his skills)

Star Linemen Orcs are not entirely common - and the most famous (sole) Legend Lineman Orc over at OCC is apparently dead now - but in his memory..

12. Yeti

Yeti Member

Country Flag:
    Yar, I was wondering the same thing... maybe he started setting this guy up on the LOS or in the wings.

Damn, that is one impressive orc.

13. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Might be that #11 had to become LOS bait, yea. Of course, he could have been sacked before that, but I guess he liked to have Block at a premium instead of having to start over with the skilling (even if this gives you a wizard this game)

As for the Orc, I guess his longevity is affected by his Agility and speed, making him an excellent defensive pickup guy (and passing receiver for SPP) and thus someone to keep safe.

14. Yeti

Yeti Member

Country Flag:
    well, I guess I'll be able to tell you in a few hours.

15. Yeti

Yeti Member

Country Flag:
    2013/04/16 - Season 2 - Match 18 (1650TV) vs. Gnasher - Deathskull Stealers - Orc (1800TV)

Week 4

Woohoo! Finally pulled off a win this season.

As it turns out my estimates were correct and I got a wizard for the match.

Gnasher won the toss and elected to receive. I set in a tightish formation with the Tuff (claw, mighty blow) one step behind the line as a follow up trap. He loaded my right heavily and almost ignored the LOS. He pushed up in a wedge against the sideline giving me very little chance at a 2d block, picked up the ball with one of his throwers and moved him into a cage behind the wedge.

An off center attack was not what I expected but I managed to pull enough players across to cover. I pushed Hephaestus behind his line to keep him on his toes then tried to do some hitting. The best blitz I could organize was 1d against the virgin blitzer with Tuff, which came up both down. I also took two 2d uphill hits with two dwarves (the first two of more than I'd care to admit) with the logic that 2d uphill with me throwing was better odds than 2d him throwing... and that a little wreckage would slow his progress. Fortunately both came up as pushes, which left his entire front a step back from my defenders.

The second and third turns were very similar, with him pushing and me defending. I stacked my defenders a little deep though and gave him some space on the left, which he took and moved his entire structure over and past my line, leaving me scrambling to keep up. He didn't have enough speed to cover his ball carrier completely though and, quite possibly, underestimated the maneuverability of a bull centaur. Hephaestus had been marked of course but I had rerolls in hand so I dodged away, ran around the cage and blitzed the ball carrier, knocking him down and scattering the ball onto a black orc... who caught it! Hmm... not ideal. Still, by this time I had a wall a step in front of the black orc and his cronies so moving forward wasn't going to be easy. I also managed to take off the troll BH... although he regenerated so would be back.

After a couple of turns of bouncing off the wall he tried to move around my right again, but too many of his players were on the ground or in contact and he couldn't cover the ball completely. He did manage to badly hurt Hephaestus though, who would have been in the perfect position to counter. I chose to save my poth for something more serious (still not sure if that was a good choice) but did manage to get a 2d blitz on the ball carrier with Tuff, which stunned him and spilt the ball into one of my tackle zones. Gnasher moved in a thrower for the pick up, rolling 1 and 1 again after the sure hands. Leaving the ball essentially in the open, with two turns left in the half and most of his players pinned or down from the previous turn.

I blitzed the player off the ball and picked up (successfully) with the closest hobgoblin, in this case Soot (wrestle), before legging it down the field. I moved a couple of other hobgobs in to form the best screen I could. Gnasher managed to get a tackle zone onto Soot but I was able to blitz him free and ran in for a turn 8 turn over touch down.

1-0 half time... with me to receive.

He set up with the troll, virgin black orc and junior lineman (block, tackle, fend for pity sake) on the line and the rest in a solid formation a few squares back. I set defensively with the ability to get 2d on each of the LOS. My plan was to knock them over and then cage in my half, making him come to me before breaking the bull and a couple of hobgobs round the side for a quickish second TD, giving him the chance to pull back to 2-1 and me the chance to get another turnover... if I was lucky.
    The ball was kicked out and I decided to give it to my sure hands hobgob to counter his strip ball. Then he rolled a blitz!

Ouch.

He started by blitzing Tuff with his +St black orc, knocking him out, then moved pretty much his entire team up into contact with mine, loading my right side a little more heavily. I am not sure why he chose my right, because my remaining bull was on the left.
    My setup was two spread for me to capitalize on my guards and I had lost my 2d blocks on the LOS. I was forced to roll more 1d and 2d against blocks than is good for me and re-rolled an important 1d block that came up skull. All results came up push and I managed to create some space (whew). Okay, so it wasn't quite all, my last 2d against block with Harzburgite (new dwarf) came up with a skull and he formed a nice little wreckage roadblock in a convenient place. I used the hobgobs to create a loose screen to my left and moved the ball carrier into it.

Gnasher stepped up again and hit everything in contact, knocking out Basalt (block/guard dwarf) with the troll and stunning Soot (wrestle hobgob that just scored). I pushed back again (with very unfavourable dice) but when I hit the lineman standing next to Phobos (block/BT/MB bull) the dice came up double skull, putting him on the ground and leaving a very large passage to the ball carrier. He moved a thrower in for support and blitzed him with a big blitzer. The ball scattered onto the orc thrower... who caught it. Gnasher spent the rest of the turn beating on the players that I hadn't managed to free, injuring Mylonite (guard dwarf). Things were not looking good, three of my dwarves and a bull were in the stands, most of the players on the field were in tackle zones, on the ground or both and he had the ball with nothing between him and my touch line.
    I did still have my wizard however... but decided not to use it just yet. Instead I blitzed the ball carrier with Phobos (who had to stand up and loose his marker first), knocking him down and scattering the ball into a bit of space. By this time of course all of my players were standing and fortunately pinning works both ways. I picked up the ball with Schist (virgin hobgob) and screened him off well enough to prevent a blitz. The ball was still on my side of the scrum, with a lot of orcs between it and the goal line so he focussed his attention on my players, knocking out Soot and leaving a lot of players on the ground.
    Once again, he had underestimated the maneuverability of the bulls. It was a long shot (since I didn't have any re-rolls left) but I handed the ball off to Phobos, who blitzed through the single lineorc screen in front of him before heading up field. I hit the orcs with the players I had standing and managed to pin most of the players that were close enough to follow the ball carrier but Gnasher still got two players away to blitz him on 1d. To my great delight the result came up skull and remained that way after the re-roll.
    Phobos dodged away from the marker and made for the goal line, requiring two GFIs to get there. He failed the first and failed the sure feet but for a change didn't injure himself. Gnasher only had one player who could reach the ball... so I lightning bolted him. :D
    Next turn Phobos redeemed himself, picking up the ball without the comfort of a re-roll and strolling over the line, securing the game for the Avalanche.

2-0 with three turns for him on the clock.

I set up with 9 players, pulled central to counter the pass, but with Phobos and Cinder (blodge hobgob) forward and wide... you never know when you might get a blitz. :p
    The kick was middle field and wide, away from his players, Gnasher decided to leave it be and beat on my LOS instead, stunning 2 of them but not causing any damage. I couldn't engineer any decent hits so I decided to be cheeky and dashed Phobos forward to the ball. This time the pick up failed, which is probably only fair, but I was still in range of the line with the ball next to me. Gnasher blitzed him and pushed him off the ball but did not knock him down, so he covered the ball in tackle zones. Now the TD was out of his range and I couldn't really hit anything so I went took the long shot. The move looked like this... 1d blitz to get next to the ball (down or push), dodge into 1 tackle zone (3+ with break tackle), pick up the ball in 1 tackle zone (5+) dodge into the clear (4+) three GFI for the line (2+ with sure feet)... and no re-roll. Overall chances of that coming off are 7%... and of course I failed, but it was fun to dream.

2-0 final score in a game with some serious mixed fortunes. In retrospect I think that both TDs resulted from him under-estimating those bulls... but I'm not complaining.

Oh, and I asked him about the two kickers. The answer was simple: backup... and the fact that the smaller kicker doesn't usually set up in the first half.

----

The MVP landed on Mylonite (guard dwarf) and both he and Soot (wrestle hobgob that scored in the first half) picked up a skill. This means that every member of the team except for the two new players has at least two skills. My TV has also been pushed up to 1700. I'll post a new team summary in the next few days to celebrate.
    Both rolls came up as normal skills and I'll be giving them stand firm and strip ball respectively... unless someone suggests something more interesting of course.

16. Melnibone

Melnibone Member

Country Flag:
    Congrats on the win. I really like a Wrestle Fend Hobbo - they frustrate the hell out of opponents. I like to put one on LOS in the middle between 2 Dwarfs against non bash or claw heavy teams - that leaves 4 Dwarfs further back to use their tackle against slippery dodgers in a conventional ziggurat formation. Plus the Wrestle Fend guy is good for parking next to an opponents mino etc. :). Wrestle Fend Dodge would be so nice if it lasts that long and gets a double!

Stand Firm is solid. Grab would be nice on one Blocker - especially fun near the sidelines if you get Frenzy on a Bull.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2013
  17. Yeti

Yeti Member

Country Flag:
    Oooh, nice couple of options... I'll give that a bit of thought.

18. Stryke

Stryke Member

Country Flag:
    Poor Gnash, he's had an utter nightmare of a start this season.

19. Yeti

Yeti Member

Country Flag:
    Yeah, he stated out as favourite for the league and has lost his first 4 games, with some truly awful dice.

20. Yeti

Yeti Member

Country Flag:
    As promised here is a look at the Avalanche as they stand after 18 games. 6 wins, 6 losses, 6 draws

[​IMG]

What I like the most about them is the balance across the team. All players, aside from the two newbies, have two or three skills and none are leaving the rest behind.
    Even so, there are three stand out players, the two bulls of course and Slag, the +ST dwarf, but now that Tuff has added mighty blow to his claw, I expect that we'll start to see him rising too.

So far my skills haven't been particularly imaginative as I've been focussing on building a solid base but I should start branching out soon... possibly starting with those two players that got skills last week... or possibly not.

In looking at my team there are a couple of things that come to mind.
    Firstly, I'm not very good at offense. Now I'm not talking about scoring here, I'm talking about building and executing a structured drive. This can be seen by the fact that my sure hands hobgoblin (who picks up the ball every time I get a choice in the matter) has scored fewer touch downs than my wrestle hobgoblin... not to mention the bulls! The reason for this is that most drives I end up letting the opponent hit the ball carrier and old Soot is usually the best pick to respond because I leave him free for blitzing when required. It is the same story with the bulls. I don't give them the ball unless they are the only option but they, as the most maneuverable players on my team, are still scoring most of my touchdowns. Generally it would appear that my offensive strength is not so much attack... as counter attack.
    Secondly, I'm not very good with specialists. Err... I can't actually find any stats to back it up... but you can trust me that it's true. I tend to treat all dwarves as primarily as road blocks, all hobgobs as mobile support/ball carriers and both bulls as tactical response units. Sure I set up with my guards (now plentiful enough that I don't have to be as careful) where they will give me the most leverage, I try to blitz with a MB dwarf and I try to hit high armour opponents with the claw... but it happens too often that Slag finds himself pulled out of the fight, Tuff ends up standing next to a goblin and Soot is the only player available to pick up the ball. I suppose the main exception to this are the bulls, who are mobile enough that I can often choose who to use and similar enough that it doesn't usually matter... unless I'm picking up the ball.
    So for the next little while I think that I'll be focussing my attention on protecting the ball better on my drive and making sure that the right player is in the right place as often as possible.

Anyway, that is how the team stands these days. All in all I think it is looking pretty good.