1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ash Foundry Avalanche - B&S

Discussion in 'Team Blogs' started by Yeti, Oct 20, 2012.

1. Yeti

Yeti Member

Country Flag:
    Good point, thanks for the tip. That sort of thing has caught me out before... I keep on forgetting that you can turn skills off.

2. Blasscend

Blasscend Member

Cyanide Username:
    Blassc_end
    Country Flag:
    Also, the worst offenders are fend ss as I like to build them. Especially with some guard around :D That's why I fear frenzy, good opponents will try and position in the best position to make use of it. And back to the tree: I wouldn't want a expensive av8 loner piece near them, especially with frenzy.

/Blassc, or from this day on, Cpt. Obvious Jr.

3. Yeti

Yeti Member

Country Flag:
    No game for me this week.
    My opponent has pulled out of the league so this week and two weeks time will be drop games.

Instead I'm going to spend a bit of time looking at my team and the current league standings.

So here is how the Avalanche look at the moment (after the drop game).

[​IMG]

1980 TV :) they are becoming a big boy team.

They are taking shape very nicely... in fact, some would say that they are more or less at chaos dwarves' optimum point. The bulls have what they need to be effective. They have 4 decent pillar dwarves (one missing stand firm, one missing mighty blow, but otherwise basically complete) and two killers, who admittedly could do with a little more leveling. They also have two reasonable ball carrying hobgobs and a utility wrestler. So that's pretty much the core team sorted out and anything I get from here is finesse. I'm not looking at cutting anyone though, the team is playing in a league format with a lot of big teams so I can get away with carrying a little bit of extra weight.
    Speaking of extra weight, I haven't mentioned the mino. This is because I don't (yet?) count him as part of the core team. He's very new (only 1 game) and hasn't had a chance to prove himself, so I'll hold off on saying too much about him for the moment.

I still have a skill outstanding on Mylonite (thanks to an MVP from the drop game). The roll came up as a double, which gives some interesting options.
    I could ignore the double and take Mighty Blow, which is probably what he would have got on a normal roll since he's my only dwarf without some kind of injury skill.
    Next option is dodge, which would make him a blodge, SF, guard... a particularly nice player to have.
    I probably wouldn't bother with any of the other agility (or passing) skills... although if he didn't have stand firm I may have considered side step.
    On the mutation front, the two that spring to mind are foul appearance and prehensile tail. I don't think that I'll consider claw, since I've already got two. Prehensile tail is a great skill of course but he's a dedicated structural player and spends most of his life in the scrum with other players that are happier hitting than dodging away. Foul appearance sounds like good fun, but isn't as effective at keeping the player on his feet as dodge is... although it can't be canceled like dodge can and there are a good few tacklers lurking around. The combination of the two is amazing of course, when you hit a blodge, SF, FA player with 2 dice there is something like a 75% chance that nothing will happen!
    So yeah... I'm probably leaning towards dodge at the moment... does anyone else have any interesting ideas?

What I find particularly interesting is how my focus for the team has shifted. In the beginning it was all about the bulls... and why not, they are fantastic players, but as I've played more and more so I've come to rely on my dwarves more and more. Each by himself isn't spectacular, but as a wall of beard they can be quite satisfying. Come to think of it, this may be why my team has been so much more defense focussed this season and I've been battling to score... something to think about.

4. Stryke

Stryke Member

Country Flag:
    Things are getting close now in the league and I'm breathing down your neck for that coveted 4th spot :p

5. danton

danton Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    danton
    Country Flag:
    I would take Prehensile Tail, as it's great on a SF dwarf. I faced a Chaos dwarf team in MM once which had invested heavily in PT on the dwarf blockers (four of them had it I think) instead of taking Claw. It's great for tying up pieces and even makes elves think twice about dodging away thanks to the fact that they also have Tackle!

6. Blasscend

Blasscend Member

Cyanide Username:
    Blassc_end
    Country Flag:
    PT is fine and it really has quite some impact on elves. claaams Krox Al Kroxigore broke a blitzers leg by tripping him and killed a lino, so go for it! As long as I donĀ“t meet him anytime soon :D

7. Yeti

Yeti Member

Country Flag:
    Thanks for the advice... I'll definitely give it some thought. Basically it comes down to a choice between keeping him on his feet a little better and making it harder for players to move away from him. Both useful, but which will give the bigger advantage?

----

Since I'm not playing a game this week, I want to take a quick look at my league's standings.

As I mentioned last season, the B&S league is broken into two phases: a divisional round robin (4 divs, 8 teams, 2 games against each) followed by a pair of playoffs. The top 4 teams from each div go into the main playoff for the Bowl and the league title, while the bottom 4 teams go into a parallel playoff for a wooden spoon award. Obviously the ultimate phase 1 goal of every team is to to win their division but most will be content to finish in the top 4 as it will give them a shot at the glittering prize.

[​IMG]

Right now the top 2 spots in my division are occupied by rats and my guess is that it'll stay that way until the end of the season, particularly if the Shadow Pawns win this week's match between the two (scheduled for tomorrow).
    Following that you have Dogboy, Stryke and myself competing for 3rd and 4th, followed by Mystro's halflings, who may still surprise us all and sneak into the top 4... unlikely but possible.
    At the bottom of the log you have Captain Kid's Khorne (who have pulled out) and Gnasher's poor orcs, who really have not had a good season.

The last 4 weeks look as follows:
    Week 11
    Carrick Vermin - A Brief Fling
    Deathskull Stealers - Shadow Pawns
    Ash Foundry Avalanche - Greenvale Gladiators
    Murder in the Dark - The Hades Jesuses

Week 12
    A Brief Fling - The Hades Jesuses
    Murder in the Dark - Greenvale Gladiators
    Ash Foundry Avalanche - Shadow Pawns
    Deathskull Stealers - Carrick Vermin

Week 13
    Murder in the Dark - A Brief Fling
    The Hades Jesuses - Ash Foundry Avalanche
    Greenvale Gladiators - Deathskull Stealers
    Shadow Pawns - Carrick Vermin

Week 14
    The Hades Jesuses - A Brief Fling
    Greenvale Gladiators - Murder in the Dark
    Shadow Pawns - Ash Foundry Avalanche
    Carrick Vermin - Deathskull Stealers

So my games are: Dogboy, Captain Bonehead, drop game, Captain Bonehead.

If I can beat Dogboy again then a lot comes down to how I do against the Captain (have I mentioned that skaven terrify me?). I don't think I have a chance of claiming the top spot even if I manage to win both matches, but I should at least have a shot at 2nd. If I loose them both on the other hand then I might be in trouble. My saving grace may be that my two competitors for 3rd and 4th have to play each other twice, so chances are good that I'll be able to stay ahead of at least one of them and make it into the main playoffs.
    If I loose to Dogoboy however then there is a very real chance that I'll slip down into 5th... which wouldn't be all bad to be honest... I think that I have a better shot at the spoon than I ever would at the bowl. :p

8. Stryke

Stryke Member

Country Flag:
    I must admit I'm seriously hoping that you'll wreck the Gladiators in week 11 to give me the best possible chance in that matchup in week 12 as having looked at that crazy elftastic roster I've got no idea how I'll beat it otherwise.

9. Fallowheart

Fallowheart Active Member

Cyanide Username:
    Fallowheart
    Country Flag:
    Look at your league.... it's Dodge City, and you're the town drunk!

prehensile tail will make 5 of the teams in your league ship their pants...
    Diving Tackle will make them want to foul the living h*ll out of him though.

10. Yeti

Yeti Member

Country Flag:
    Heh, that sounds about right.

That is very true. Only problem is that I only have 3 games left this season and next season will be a completely different mix of teams. Generally B&S is pretty bash heavy, this just happens to be a particularly dodgy league.

I must confess, I'm leaning towards PT at the moment.

I'll do what I can. :D

11. Fallowheart

Fallowheart Active Member

Cyanide Username:
    Fallowheart
    Country Flag:
    Fair enough regarding the changing roster. however, PT also works well against those break tackle monsters who think they can dance around the pitch with their strength 4. ;)

I've played against just one, and they are seriously good (never mind with guard and stand firm), that's a dream skill up imo, and something i might spam on my nurgle team i like it so much.

12. Yeti

Yeti Member

Country Flag:
    Heh, I've done that with my bulls a few times.

The more I think about it the better the tail sounds, particularly against them elves. Lets hope that I have a few of them next season too.

13. bathoz

bathoz Member

Country Flag:
    No. I think you should take something sensible. Like very long legs. Yes. Definitely.

14. Yeti

Yeti Member

Country Flag:
    2013/06/03 - Season 2 - Match 23 (2000TV) vs. Dogboy - Greenvale Gladiators - Woodelf (2040TV)

Hi all,

Sorry for the lack of game report this week. I have had a couple of major deadlines and just haven't had time to put anything together.

The short version is that Dogboy completely out-elfed me to take a 2-1 win.

I kicked to him and managed to get the ball free just behind the half way line and put 4 tackle zones on it. His elves were up to the task though, getting it free and lobbing it downfield to a wardancer on the wing. She was in blitzing range but I just wasn't able to shift the blodge sidestep catcher that was covering her and so couldn't even get her in a tackle zone, much less get the blitz off.
    I had 3 turns to respond but a failed catch in turn 7 destroyed my chances.
    1-0 half time
    The first kick off of the second half came up blitz and that same blodge sidestep catcher caught the ball. Once again he refused to fall over and simply stepped away from his markers. 2-0.
    By then there were only a few elves left on the field so I scored relatively quickly, figuring that 3-1 wasn't much worse than 2-1 but 2-2 was a lot better.
    Since I outnumbered him so thoroughly it wasn't too hard to get the ball free but I failed the pickup roll that would have given me a shot at the touch down and the game ended 2-1.

There wasn't much more that I could have done in either halves, the elves simply did what they do best and I couldn't respond. I however did what dwarves do best by killing 2 elves (one pothed to MNG), injuring another 2 and knocking out most of the rest.

One thing that I can say after this game is that I have no idea what the minotaur is for. I'm too scared to blitz with him, especially in a game like this where every blitz counts, and he is so unreliable when just moving that he was never standing where I needed him. Honestly, an extra hobgoblin on the field would have been more useful because at least then I'd have had a reliable assist. I will concede that woodelves are probably the worst opponent for him to face since I never start a turn with him in contact and I don't want him standing next to the tree. I'll give him a chance to redeem himself... but right now it doesn't look like he'll be playing many more games.

15. Melnibone

Melnibone Member

Country Flag:
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2013
  16. Yeti

Yeti Member

Country Flag:
    Hi everyone,

My elevated workload continues I'm afraid so I am going to be brief.

This week I played the Shadow Pawns coached by Captain Bonehead JB. The number two team in my div and yet another rat team. This is the team that by all accounts 'should' have won the league last season. As you can see they are quite fearsome.

[​IMG]

The game did not go well. I received first and stepped up aggressively, aiming to remove a few rats and make the drive easier. What actually happened was quite the reverse and by turn three I was down to two dwarves on the board! Both of whom were tied up well away from the action. I put up a fight but just couldn't hold on with so few player on the pitch and went into half time 1-0 down.
    The second half went more to plan. I forced him to score early and took the rest of the half to reply, final score 2-1 against.

There were a few things that came out of the game.
    Firstly, I more or less decided to fire the mino... then he picked up two cas and earned himself a place in the team for the next game at least.
    Secondly, I picked up a normal skill on Phobos (block, break tackle, mighty blow bull centaur)... any thoughts?
    Thirdly, I lost my favourite player on the team: Slag, my Str 4, guard, stand firm, mighty blow dwarf. He was killed by a piling on storm vermin and there was nothing the apothecary could do. :(

Unfortunately, this loss has dropped me out of the top four for the first time this season and it looks like it'll be tough to re-take the place... but I'll write a little more on that next week if I get the chance.

17. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Ah, rough loss with Slag dying. Takes a while to skill up a replacement, especially when you need to roll boxcars along the way.. bull could take stand firm and then frenzy (or the other way around)?

18. Melnibone

Melnibone Member

Country Flag:
    Frenzy for me...own the sidelines!

19. Yeti

Yeti Member

Country Flag:
    Yeah, frenzy is what I was intending... but now that I've played with the mino a little I'm terrified of it. :p

Other options I'm considering are:
    Tackle... because he's my most mobile player and ofter ends up blitzing the ball carrier or at least marking him... but then I do have 7 tackles already.
    Guards... because he often ends up being a cage corner, particularly when I'm pushing past an opponent's defense.

20. Yeti

Yeti Member

Country Flag:
    Sorry for the long silence. Real life happened and I just haven't had a chance to look at this blog for a few months.
    -----
    So quite a bit has happened since the last post.

Last season ended pretty strong, with me taking a final week win against the Shadow Pawns (who had just given me a hiding the last time I posted). This moved me back into 4th and I snuck through into the big boy playoffs... only to be knocked out in week 1 by a potent Lizardman team called Koldborn Killers and coached by Inspector Rumpole.

At the end of the season the BnS leagues did a bit of rearranging and moved from 4 equal leagues with a playoff to a tiered league system. Through the resignation of a couple of top teams and what I can only describe as a clerical error I found myself in Div 1, a rather daunting prospect to be honest. :)

Without going into too much detail, my league looks like this:
    Ruiner - Unimaginable Scale - Lizard (last season's champion)
    Ghoulchewer - Skull Crushers Squad - Norse
    Ringtail Lemur - Stokesley Plague Rodents - Skaven
    Captain Bonehead JB - Shadow Pawns - Skaven
    Lokkermallet - Cold Revenge - Lizard
    Moronik - Vile Imbiciles - Dark Elf
    Dogboyuk - Greenvale Gladiators - Wood Elf
    Yeti - Ash Foundry Avalanche - Chaos Dwarf

We are 5 games into the season and so far it has been a bit of a mixed bag for the avalanche, with extreme dice in every game... 2 for me, 3 against me. I could really do with a nice middle of the road game that comes down to skill and tactics rather than armour breaks... although with this lot that may not be good for me. :p

Right now I'm occupying my customary 4th spot but the middle of the league is pretty compressed so a win or loss in the next game could change that quite dramatically.

Speaking of next game, I am playing DogBoy this week, our second encounter of the season (the first was one where the dice went my way). He is the only coach that has been in my league for all 3 seasons with this team, which makes him one of the coaches that I have played most often. His team is looking terrifying as always and I'll be getting a cool 500k inducements for the match, something that hasn't happened in a while.

The Avalanche itself has had a tough start to the season and has lost two hobgoblins (both virgin fortunately) and two chaos dwarves (one virgin, one claw/MB). They also down a guard/SF/MB dwarf for the next game, which will probably hurt. I have also got rid of the minotaur. After 6 games he had only picked up 2 casualties (both in his second game) and had proved to be a massive liability. I generally didn't trust him enough to blitz with him... and when I tried he justified my concern by letting me down. Add to that the fact that the centaurs could generally arrange a 2d blitz when it mattered and you are left with a road block that was harder for me to move than the opponent. When I finally had a drive where I considered putting a virgin hobgob on the pitch instead of him... that's when I knew it was time for him to go.

On the plus side, I now have a couple of blodge hobgobs, one with sure hands and (one of my favourite skills) side step and have managed to replace the killer.

[​IMG]