1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automatic 2 step verification?

Discussion in 'Site News, Bug Reports and Questions' started by Phunbaba, Nov 12, 2015.

1. Phunbaba

Phunbaba Active Member

Cyanide Username:
    Phunbaba
    Country Flag:
    Is this a permanent thing now or did some funny accident cause it?

2. Coach

Coach Administrator Head Coach

Country Flag:
    Sorry I'm messing with settings to try and cut out the spammers. Didn't realise it would prompt everyone who has already registered. I'll leave it on for the time being but if it becomes annoying then let me know and I'll check other options out.

3. Borke

Borke Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Borke
    Country Flag:
    For some reason, I don't know why, the email verification option didn't work for me (hotmail account), I never received an email. I made the verification using an app now.

4. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    It is freakishly annoying since every time you log on from a new place, all the old places gets cleared. (Like when I like to surf the site from both my computer and my phone - I've had to validate five times in as many hours, every time checking the "save me for 30 days")

Also the validation emails go straight to spam folder, apparently with all providers, and have to be picked up from there, which is easy to overlook.

So for me - yes, turn it off, or I'll have to confine myself to surfing in the evenings.

5. Coach

Country Flag:
    Yeah went to spam folder for myself as well, think I'll disable it again, if I can find where it was. Setting not quite what I thought it would be anyway. Thanks for the feedback.

6. Coach

Country Flag:
    OK I think I've disabled it again... let me know if you're still seeing it anywhere.

7. Phunbaba

Phunbaba Active Member

Cyanide Username:
    Phunbaba
    Country Flag:
    I thought it might of happened in response to trying to stop spam. I could live with it now that I've got the app thing. Sorry to hear about Dreamy though.

And if you do go the app route then you'll get some static codes so it's kinda like having two passwords.

8. Hudd

Hudd Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    It took no end of messing, changing my email to be able to log on again. Also was using a hotmail account, that it wouldn't send an email to.

9. sbr32

sbr32 Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    sbr32
    Country Flag:
    I'm up for a little bit of inconvenience to fight the spam bots, but I dint think this is the answer.

EDIT: Oop see if has already been turned off.

10. Znarx

Znarx Courier Staff

Cyanide Username:
    Znarx
    Country Flag:
    Was this supposed to be turned off? It asked me to do 2 factor when I logged in with my desktop browser. If, as Nikolai says, only one device gets remembered at a time, this is going to be really annoying to deal with. Did my account get flagged as requiring 2fac and that needs to be turned off individually?

11. Znarx

Znarx Courier Staff

Cyanide Username:
    Znarx
    Country Flag:
    And to follow up on my own post, it looks like I was able to disable it in my profile. Just in case anybody else wanted to know that.

12. Coach

Country Flag:
    I'm pretty sure I just reversed the requirements that I set for all registered users, it's the only thing I recall changing. I'll look at your account and see what the permissions are on it.

13. Coach

Country Flag:
    Ah ok saves me looking then =)
    Sorry for all the confusion, it really wasn't clear this is what I was turning on...

14. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    No worries. It was a noble attempt to combat the influx of weird spam. Makes me miss the old Kitchen spam. :D

15. Tjorne

Tjorne Member

Cyanide Username:
    .marXman. (BB1), Tjorne (BB2)
    Country Flag:
    Spam protection at its best. :bothdown:

screen forum1.png

To be fair; this probably happens to most spam filters...

16. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    It was turned off pretty fast though. And some spam accounts are "sleeper cells".