1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BB Beer League

Discussion in 'Dungeonbowl and Variants' started by Ulf Beorstruk, Jun 19, 2016.

1. Ulf Beorstruk

Ulf Beorstruk New Member

Country Flag:
    Hi everyone,

We've made a variant based on pulling what we liked from a lot of the other existing 7's and similar game types, with some over the top fun things thrown in. It's really not meant to be competitively balanced like vanilla BB, but something we can play at yearly get-togethers over a few days but get some good advancement in. A lot of elements that have easily forgettable situational modifiers have been removed, and advancement is vastly simplified to speed things up. Injuries are also handled very differently, as befits the more casual nature of this variant.

I'd really appreciate any constructive criticism, if anything jumps out as grossly broken or unfun. Also, any suggestions for more Wizard Hooligan spells.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_Od0WrOecb4NWE4R3E0cVdVTWc/view?usp=sharing

2. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    What is the main goal apart from having fun? Are the games supposed to be faster, or multiplayer, or something? (Just asking a question since I don't have time to read the document right now)

3. Ulf Beorstruk

Ulf Beorstruk New Member

Country Flag:
    Faster games and reduced book-keeping, as well as much faster and more streamlined team development. My old college group only gets together once or twice a year, so with vanilla BB we could only play a couple games and not really see too much team growth and change. The three main changes are

1 - BB7s pitch and team sizes to reduce the time it takes to play a full game.

2 - Advancement tosses out SPP and money in favour of a flat number of advancements post-game.

3 - Injury system completely overhauled, using a modified Magic Potions/Liquid Medicine system similar to Street Bowl. Combined with free recruiting of players in post-match, ensures that an early injury or death won't hamper your team in the short-term the way it can in vanilla.

In short, its a game made for short weekend-length leagues with a bit more emphasis on the comedic over tactical of vanilla.

4. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Now that I've read the rules I can only say that they seem like they should work well enough for that.

But is there a typo in the amount of positionals allowed for zombies? Everyone else maxes out on four..

5. Ulf Beorstruk

Ulf Beorstruk New Member

Country Flag:
    That was intentional, since their linemen are Insignificant (don't count against team max) and pretty garbage, but I was concerned that it might make them a bit too strong. Do you think it would be an issue? We had also discussed giving them Boneheaded.

Thanks for taking a look at this, its very helpful to have some outside eyes on it.

6. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Hm. Yea, I missed that. All other linemen were pretty much like in the rulebooks. (Except skeletons gaining nerves of steel instead of thick skull)
    How about not dropping their strength to 2 instead?
    (I could see it as a worry about regeneration, but skeletons get to keep ST3)

Is the intention to allow zombie swarms?

Anyway, your advantage is that you could also make it a "legacy rulebook". Whatever race loses the most gets some small buffs for next day/weekend, and the best race gets their players to be more expensive for the starting team (because they become divas). Or something. :cool:

7. Ulf Beorstruk

Ulf Beorstruk New Member

Country Flag:
    That's a great idea! I hadn't thought of that, but I love the idea of a legacy ruleset.

The intention was to create the feel of a zombie swarm, but with Regeneration that really makes the horde kind of pointless. I'm going to take that back to the table and suggest giving their linemen back S3, getting rid of the horde aspect, and balancing their positionals out.

8. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    I can only agree with that. If you want a horde team you could make a snotling team. They get as many snotlings as they can shake a stick at (and maybe get to field 8 players because they are hard to count or keep track of). Their positionals could be a snotling pump wagon (kind of a deathroller, but could drop pretty much any skill, and/or have lower ST or AV. Lose secret weapon as well because who would enforce that anyway). If you want to keep them closer to the other teams (and probably not fielding extra players) they could get a couple or three goblins as well?

Another way to handle snotling hordes could be they get only seven players, but they get to reinforce during drives if they want to. (I'm just making stuff up here ;))