1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BB tactics reported to me as Badware !

Discussion in 'Site News, Bug Reports and Questions' started by Lebe666, May 23, 2012.

1. Lebe666

Lebe666 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
  2. jrpeart

jrpeart Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    jrpeart
    Cyanide Username:
    jrpeart
    Country Flag:
    My guess is stopbadware.org is bad news and has somehow got into the site. Anything that pops up to tell you there is a problem that isn't directly related to your specific virus protection is usually malware.

3. Gallows Bait

Gallows Bait Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Gallows-Bait
    Cyanide Username:
    Gallows Bait
    Country Flag:
    I had a google chrome pop up when I first came to the site tonight asking me if I wanted to proceed. I believe lebe's was the firefox equivalent.

Usually in cases like this, there is a rogue advert somewhere. Where advertising is used, sometimes malware related adverts do creep in.

Alternately the only other area that could be forced to load would be if a coach put something odd in a custom link for a blog thread or avatar image.

I've not spotted the cause specifically though.

4. Coach

Coach Administrator Head Coach

Country Flag:
    I got an email from google earlier about one link, so I've been looking into this (not the best of timing). Since then it seems the whole site has been labelled.

I believe I've rectified the issue and have requested google to re-evaluate the site to get the warnings removed. If I haven't then I think I'm going to take the site down as it won't be a quick fix as I'm not an expert in all this. One of the plugins I've got installed was out of date and I think that is where the exploit occurred but I'm not certain.

I've also been considering a site overhaul for a few months now so may use this as an opportunity to do so. That will mean the site will be down for 1-2 weeks though as I obviously don't want to leave it up if it puts anyone at risk of malware.

If the site does go down then I shall endeavour to post updates on the BBTactics Google+ page.

5. Rusty

Rusty Active Member

Country Flag:
    I've just loaded now it in Opera and Firefox and had no dodgy messages.

6. Lebe666

Lebe666 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Might it be related to the ads ?

7. dodger

dodger Member

Cyanide Username:
    drdodger
    Country Flag:
    darn it, I look up your players guides and starting roster guides everytime someone gets a skill or I start a new team.... 2 weeks!?

FWIW - When I told Chrome to go ahead and proceed it also had a check box option to allow more feedback from the site as I browsed it. Hopefully you've cleared the bad candy and that feedback will prove it to them...

8. Gallows Bait

Gallows Bait Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Gallows-Bait
    Cyanide Username:
    Gallows Bait
    Country Flag:
    Assuming an overhaul would mean forum downtime as well, do you have any idea on timing?

It would be a struggle to kick off Crunch Cup IX this week and lose the forums mid-season, so I would rather see the Cup delayed slightly if necessary. After all, the site and the community are more important than the Cup.

9. Coach

Coach Administrator Head Coach

Country Flag:
    Looks like the fix worked, google isn't reporting any malware now. You should be fine to go ahead and run the cup, though like I said it will be possible to organise it via Google+ if I have to unexpectedly take the site down.