1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[BBT] CCL Championship (post-season)

Discussion in 'Blood Bowl 2' started by patbou73, Feb 24, 2021.

1. patbou73

patbou73 Active Member

Country Flag:
    In Discord, we discussed the idea of a Championship, akin to Chalice, for the BBT players who play in CCL but don't qualify for Chalice. If I'm not mistaken, [BIG] and [PI] also have that kind of post-season event. Andy Davo also had such tournament, but with a race restriction (only races not from the top 5 of last season).

I think this would be a great idea to implement here, and I volunteer as co-commissionner to organize this event (I've never managed a league, and don't want to do that alone). The current CCL season will end on March 17, so we have about 3 weeks to discuss and set the rules and restrictions.

Here's a quick draft :
    1. We will need a sub-forum, like Big Crunch 2. @Coach ? Not now, but as soon as the name of the tourney is agreed upon, we'll flag you.
    2. Also, a sub-channel in BBT's Discord. Can an admin help with that?
    3. Teams are registered and must be named with the prefix [BBT].
    4. All races are allowed.
    5. Goal is to win, so a registered team needs a dodemath score of at least 50 to qualify, with a minimum of 20 games played. This, to avoid killer teams that don't even try to win, with ridiculous 10-24-55 record.
    6. At the end of the CCL season, we do a sudden death tournament with the top X teams that registered and qualify, where X is the highest of 8, 16, 32 or 64. Ex. : 23 teams registered, but only 12 qualify.
    As the title suggest, I propose the name of Mug Championship. It's short and simple, and I can see the cup as a beer mug. :)

LloydsGamble and danton like this.
  2. Geryon

Geryon Active Member

Steam Username:
    Geryon
    Country Flag:
    Sounds good but since it's started mid season I would allow people to submit a team with out the league tag. As long as they are currently in the BC2 league

3. patbou73

patbou73 Active Member

Country Flag:
    And how do we settle that? Should a team be submitted now, to be eligible by the end of the season? Can a coach submit more than one team? Or it just doesn’t matter, as long as their score is 50+, they don’t do Chalice, and are already playing in BC2?

4. patbou73

patbou73 Active Member

Country Flag:
    @Geryon I fear some teams will have a really unfair advantage if we allow currently existing team to register. Shouldn’t we all start on the same footing?

5. TravelScrabble

TravelScrabble Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    It's never going to be fair as people have vastly different capacity to play, I agree for this season anything goes. I can sort discord if you need.

6. Geryon

Geryon Active Member

Steam Username:
    Geryon
    Country Flag:
    Just start next season then. Let the time now hash the competition rules out. As for the unfairness, well there's inducements :). Not sure how to deal with it then treat it as a fun competition and have some fun with BC2ers regardless of the possible disparities in teams.

7. Ravers

Ravers Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Ravers
    Country Flag:
    I have heard of Dodemath but no idea what it actually is. I very much doubt I will play, but if you are going to run a comp using that, would be nice to know wtf it is.

8. patbou73

patbou73 Active Member

Country Flag:
    Good question. @Geryon can certainly help answer this one. I know where to find the information in Spike.ovh, but I don’t know the formula. And I tried to google it, but no success.

9. patbou73

patbou73 Active Member

Country Flag:
    Come to think of it, the idea is to have fun and play BB. Chalice and CCL are all but fair, so fairness shouldn’t be a concern. For this season, let’s just say that :
    1. If you’re a member of BBT’s forum or Discord channel;
    2. And if you have a team in CCL by the end of season 38;
    3. That didn’t qualified for Chalice;
    4. And that has a dodemath score of 50+;
    5. Then you can post here to register your team for the tournament.
    6. As stated before, because of the format, only the top 8-16-32-64 teams that registered will qualify, however.
    This experiment will help us define the rules for next season. About that, I propose that a coach must register a team in the forum before game 1 (with a screen shot of the rookie team with appropriate name) ; and that a single coach can’t register more than 3-5 teams in a season (live up with a bad start and adversity, it’s CCL).

Also, I’ve been thinking about the name of the competition...
    • BBT’s CCL Championship (self explanatory, and it goes well with the [BBT] prefix)
    • Mug Championship (because)
    • CASual Tea Cup Championship (because the casual players that don’t grind for Chalice can participate ; a tea cup is a dramatically lesser version of a chalice, and that is funny ; and it rhymes with « Casualty Cup » when you say it, so it’s very Blood Bowlesque). I’d still want the [BBT] prefix to advertise this community, however.
    I honestly prefer the last (because it represents everything), or the first (for it’s simplicity). What say you?

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
  10. danton

danton Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    danton
    Country Flag:
    My only question would be why limit it to coaches who also play in BC2? BBT is a community much larger than just coaches who currently play in BC2. I used to play in Big Crunch a long time ago, but haven't for a while for example.

11. Street

Street Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Street
    Country Flag:
    I agree limiting it to BC2 seems not needed.

Also is 20+ games needed for casual thing? I don't think I have ever managed to even play 10 games in a single CCL season.

12. patbou73

patbou73 Active Member

Country Flag:
    Good point. I will gladly let you join, knowing you are an active community member. It was just to really avoid the random guy, out of nowhere, that wants to participate.

Maybe enlarge this to anyone who once played in Big Crunch 2?

13. patbou73

patbou73 Active Member

Country Flag:
    @Street if you can get a 50+ score under 20 games, why not? We can amend this. Thanks guys for the feedback! ;)

14. danton

danton Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    danton
    Country Flag:
    I would leave it open to anyone who is a member of either the BBT forums, or the BBT discord. The more people can participate, the better, otherwise you will most likely struggle to create a bracket of more than 8 players.

15. patbou73

patbou73 Active Member

Country Flag:
    Good. I already edited my post with that. Will also remove the 20+ games restriction. We will keep the 50+ score requirement, however. As Geryon pointed out in Discord, this is a championship, and we want teams that did their best to win their games, not that 2000+ killer team that never tried to win and has an abysmal record.

16. Geryon

Geryon Active Member

Steam Username:
    Geryon
    Country Flag:
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
    Ravers and patbou73 like this.
  17. patbou73

patbou73 Active Member

Country Flag:
    I reached out to the [PI] organizer, and he kindly shared with me a lot of information. I think some are inspiring :
    • No need to register a team. Just add the [***] prefix to the team’s name, and the qualifying teams will get a ticket for the knockout tournament. [PI] can do that, because someone programmed this : https://gr4n0t4.ddns.net/pi. Can someone from our community do the same? @Coach ?
    • Best 16 teams (or best 15 teams + 1 best stuntie team, if any), will receive a ticket for the Knockout competition. I was recommend to have 30% of participants qualify. In our case, we may have to be humble and start with 8 (and no stuntie). If we have 50+ participants, we may then go to 16 (and 32 at 100).
    • The CCL ranking system is used to identify the best teams (so, dodemath).
    • No minimum score to qualify, but no more than 40 games for a team. I understand this restriction... if the 8th (or 16th) best team has less than 50, we’ll have to let them in anyway. Considering only the best will qualify, I’m pretty sure the killer team that never tried to win will automatically disqualify anyway. And the 40 games limit will also prevent that from happening (as to get a high score with a less than 50% win rate, you really have to play a huuuuge amount of games).
    • No more than 2 teams of each race can qualify. I wouldn’t lower that, even if the best we can do is an 8 teams competition. If we struggle with the number of participants, the less restrictions is the better.
    • Because [PI] has a podcast with paid subscriptions, they can give away prizes for the winner (worth 60-90 euros). We have nothing like this here, but it’s food for thoughts...

18. patbou73

patbou73 Active Member

Country Flag:
  19. patbou73

patbou73 Active Member

Country Flag:
    A team can qualify for both Chalice and this Knockout. If so, a coach can copy his team through customization (except fan factor, capped at 10), and play in both. Same goes if, for any reason, you also need your original team available for any other competition.

20. TravelScrabble

TravelScrabble Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    I like CASual Tea Cup, but I'd like it better if it tied in with BBT history basically Crunch Cup.