1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BBTactics Homepage

Discussion in 'Site News, Bug Reports and Questions' started by Coach, Aug 23, 2012.

1. Coach

Coach Administrator Head Coach

Country Flag:
    I'm in the process of updating the main site and would like some input on the homepage.

Previously the old design was fine when I was adding new content regularly. However as the site gets more complete (I plan on filling the gaps in the content over the next few months) its going to reach a point where there isn't much need to display them.

I plan on having a slider there with slides for the forum, the crunch cup and crunch them all. Is there anything else you think there should be slides for?

What about the rest of the homepage. I'm going to redo the ads for the sponsor companies as they are a bit of a mess and I want them in a more consistent design.

Beyond that though, any thoughts or suggestions?

2. Gallows Bait

Gallows Bait Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Gallows-Bait
    Cyanide Username:
    Gallows Bait
    Country Flag:
    Will take a look and put my thinking hat on.

Also, is it worth considering a few items, such a forum sig sizes and anything else we might want to tidy stuff up a bit?

3. coachman

coachman Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    bjj hero
    Country Flag:
    Maybe images for each race linking to all article relating to that race? I also quite like the idea of a "playbook" discussing basics like caging that everyone needs to know. Maybe a black board, x's and o's ala american football?

4. Coach

Country Flag:
    I was originally going to link all the relevant articles for each race at the top of every page of each corresponding article. It had totally slipped my mind, useful for readers and good for SEO as well.

Have I not already covered the basics of caging and cage breaking in articles? What did you have in mind that was different? I know I still need to get around to writing an article on advancing a cage though.

5. coachman

Cyanide Username:
    bjj hero
    Country Flag:
    Advancing a cage is huge. Talk of lead blockers and the difference between elves an orcs is a big article.

Stall vs quick score should be good, even woodelves stall.

I think a note on injuries may help too. Some coaches don't seem to know how the odds are affected with niggles and -av.

A star player break down for each team could be good too.

I more was thinking of images for the playbook.

Finally I feel some' short ' articles on frequent dilemas may be useful.

Eg: leap vs dodging past a player with a wardancer. Blocking free vs dodging away. When to gfi to shorten a pass. That sort of thing. There's been a few of these on the forum.

6. John McGuirk

John McGuirk Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    I think the new site looks mint! And I say that as someone for whom that word enjoys an eternal association with the finest meat/condiment combo of all the Sunday roasts. Yes, finer even than you, turkey/cranberry!

7. Viajero

Viajero Active Member

Country Flag:
    The new homepage looks great.

The only "new" thing I have proposed a couple times would be to have a Replay repository or Replay link listing that may be categorized depending on the topic. You could have a simple catalogue subdivided on relevant topics, i.e. "caging", "double line column defense", "1TTD" etc etc. The topics can be created based on your main articles or otherwise based on forum interest. One may even conceive your articles eventually linking to the relevant Replay category and/or viceversa etc.

Thing with this is that it would require some people to obviously do some screening and Q checks to ensure the relevancy of the Replays. I am sure some of us could help. Getting the replays themselves should not be very difficult, many of the forum members here will probably volunteer theirs etc. Not sure if this eventual part of the site could be even "Wikied" (if you know what I mean?) all under the supervisory control of a few selected ones.

And the replays could be of any kind, i.e. Cyanide Replay files or Fumbbl replay links etc etc or whatever that can be electronically viewed.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2012
  8. Coach

Country Flag:
    That's not a bad idea and something I may look at in the future.

Thanks for the suggestion.

9. coachman

Cyanide Username:
    bjj hero
    Country Flag:
    Sounds like the bbt youtube channel will be airing shortly...

10. Lebe666

Lebe666 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    I like the idea of videos... its difficult to grasp some of the concepts without a visual aid.

There is no need to dig for replays... the caging and column defense, etc... can be demonstrated by a made for BBTactics game. Easier to show many aspects in one replay. Put it in Youtube and narrate it.

_ -- __ -- __

I feel that skills are not sufficiently commented... many are missing...

11. Sykes

Sykes New Member

Country Flag:
    Feedback

Hello! I'm new to the game & the site, so I came here to try and learn the basics, read about the different teams, skills etc.
    I find the information on this site very useful but the layout is a bit confusing for a newbie.
    Here's what i think might be useful:
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    #1:When reading about.. say skills for example, there's often a lot of mentions such as:
    "This skill" does not work against/negates/works well with "this other skill".
    Since I don't usually know what "this other skill" is, or what certain players from certain teams are, it would be a HUGE help if said mentions where "linked" to the appropriate page.
    So the page reads "Negates Fend, Wrestle, Stand Firm" and when you click on the name of a skill (or player/team/mechanic) you get sent to the/a page about that player/skill/mechanic/team etc.

#2:When browsing skills/players, the summary before you go into the full page seems to assume you already know what the skill does.
    Many of these summaries could use a short mention what the skill actually does.
    Example: Sure Feet
    The summary says "Sure Feet is handy for all players but only some make good use of it as skill choice over other options. Which players make best use of the movement?".
    What I'd like to see in this summary is a short mention like "Allows you to re-roll a failed go-for-it -roll."
    or "Reroll a go-for-it". That way, I can scroll through them and go "Huh, that sounds useful!"

#3: Same as #1&2 but with other similar pages, such as links to the different players from the actual team-page, short summaries about said players.
    Like "Fast & skilled but fragile & expensive--Good for passing."

#4: The MA, ST, AG, AV & Starting skills of players--which often are mentioned (along the lines of "Has good strength & block") but never listed (as far as I can tell). I'd like something like a list of starting stats & skills near the Overview section:
    Player Position - - Cost/Salary 50 000
    MA5 ST3 AG3 AV8
    Starting Skills:--------Skill access:*
    Block, Catch----------Normal: Agility,General
    Stunty---------------Double: Strength
    *(I actually don't know how this works or if its relevant, but at least it seems like something to take note of when building a team.)
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Those are my thoughts so far! I haven't really gotten to the advanced strategies yet so I can't comment on those. I don't know if being able to tell more things at a glance would be useful to more experienced people as well, but it seems like having a better overview of player strengths & weaknesses should make it easier
    to think up different strategies and/or team compositions.

12. Gallows Bait

Gallows Bait Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Gallows-Bait
    Cyanide Username:
    Gallows Bait
    Country Flag:
    Hi Sykes,

If I may answer in Coach's place for now.

Largely the specific descriptions of what a skill does and the specific statistics of the players are not included because this is a Games Workshop game and GW are very pro-active in protecting their intellectual property. Direct posting of their rules and statistics is a sure-fire way to receive a "cease and desist" legal letter from them, as many GW fan sites have shown over the years. Its the only means by which GW can protect the wholesale scanning and upload of their rules - but it does end up tarring everyone with the same brush out of necessity.

On the plus side, in the case of Blood Bowl, the rules are available as freely downloadable pdf file, which can also be found in the installation folder of the Cyanide version of the game, if you are a PC player. Look out for the competition rules pack - a link is also supplied on this site.

Over time, you will find it all becomes second nature, but for now, having that pdf file (or even printing it out) is a great way to keep things to hand.

13. Coach

Country Flag:
    Hi Sykes,

Thank you for the valuable feedback.

As GB mentioned I've not put the players stat lines on the player articles due to GW going after other fan websites for posting that kind of rule.

Regarding interlinking the articles that is something I need to do and I usually do it when writing new articles and the corresponding article is already written. However as I've not yet covered everything (and even less the earlier I wrote an article) the article to link to didn't yet exist.
    At some point I will look at going back and adding in such links.

All the skill pages have the skill description right at the top which should tell you what they do, have you been skipping right to the summary and missing it?

I'm also planning at some point to go back and redo all the team pages. A short summary on their different players with links to their specific player development articles would go on there.