1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cyanide BBTactics in OCC Season 27

Discussion in 'League and Team Development Tactics' started by 20phoenix, Apr 20, 2015.

1. Moncap

Moncap Member

Country Flag:
    MD1 v Dionysian's Nurgle

Dio received, and became clear very early on that Nuffle was on my side tonight. My blocks were working, while his weren't, and by turn 3 or 4 I had 11 players to his 8. We danced around a bit, but with the man advantage I was able to force an opening, steal the ball and get it to safety. A ballsy dodge I didn't expect from the Beast of Nurgle marked the ball carrier. Thankfully, the Wizard didn't fizzle, and the first half ended 1-0 to to me.

A pitch invasion in my favour made it very easy to move the ball forward and score, which I did in two turns. I probably could have stalled a little, but being 2-0 again Nurgle meant the game was over, right?

I started making mistakes after this. Dio sent two receivers forward threatening a quick score. I took one out and triple marked another, but in a way that meant a 3+ dodge would be enough to get free. Which he made, along with the pass and the catch, to make it 2-1.

For few turns I moved from right to left a little, keeping the ball pretty well protected. An AG 3 dodge into two, then one tackle zone (I think) got through and took Vomyus out. A couple of foul appearance fails means the screen I was planning was looking shaky. Hig Zyeen the AG boosted Wight dodged away to provide a second assist, and Vomyus took the Strength 4 pest out, got the ball and moved forward. I then did one of those go for its I didn't need to do and burned a reroll. I needed the other Wolf to make a dodge with reroll built in and a go for it, to make a screen. The go for it failed leaving Vomyus wide open, and he was taken out again. It was in a hard position for Dio to get it, he tried more dodges and a pick up in one or two tackle zones (again, can't remember) but failed the pick up. I didn't try to pick up the ball on turn 16 but protected it pretty well. It would have taken a Nurgle warrior dodge into two tackle zones, pick up in two tackle zones, a further dodge, go for it or two, and a long bomb to equalise, but the best double skulled and the game ended 2-1.

An odd game, Dio was nuffled, but some of the outrageous stuff he tried worked. I should have secured the game better, but did enough in the end.

2. Moncap

Moncap Member

Country Flag:
    MD2 against LoopH0LE'S Undead.

I played loop in 3C, quite a few seasons ago, and lost, so was hoping for revenge. He has a very well built Undead squad, and it looked like a very hard match. I don't have much of an angle against undead who have more guard and strength boosts than me. Without a MB Wolf, I can't reliably outbash or outrun them. My main hope was a wizard, which I got after a bit of squad adjusting from both of us (he dropped a zmobie, and I followed suit, to put me at 160 below).

I won the toss and elected to recieve. Blitz! And in not a bad place. The Simeon Fridge, the Golem opens a channel, and both Wolves and a Wight flood through it, the ball being caught by Vomyus. Loop is able to take him down with a tackle Zombie after a couple of go for its, and the ball bounces clear of my tackle zones, and the legendary Snake in a Can scoops the ball up and advances to the relative safety of a front heavy cage.

Both Mummies, both Wights, and a dirty player skelaton are in a nice 3 by 3 square, along with snake, and after thinking for a while, the Wizard comes down. The superstar, piling on Wight is injured and the superstar Mummy is Kos, never to return, well, in this game anyway. My wrestle zombie, Vernon, can reach snake with a couple of go for its, and KOs the Ghoul. Vomyus dodges into one tackle zone, and out again, collects the ball and moves to the side. A tackle less blitz doesn't take him down and the half peeters out with the ball safely on the right hand side, while we try and hurt eachother. I manage to hand off to Gothar too, to get a TD for him! I do better attition wise too, an injured zombie and a sent off skelaton means Loop has 9 players available for the 2nd half.

I pick the ball up in the second half, and advance down the right, mulling over weather to stall or not. But the casualties swing in my favour so much it decide to run it it, but don't risk a hand off. Snake and the strip ball Ghoul Banana peels are in the injury box for the third drive, and Loop is down to 6 players. There is not much he can do apart from farm a few passes, and it's soon 3-0, as my Ghoul Salem Binch gets his first SPP.

Didn't quite manage a 4th, and Vomyus fails a pick up in a tackle zone, but I can't complain. Gothar also nabbed the MVP, meaning he is only 4 SPP away from leveling up!

The blitz and wizard set the tone for the game and didn't really give LoopH0LE much of a chance. But it was a good game, and wish him better luck against Dio in MD3.

3. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Neither here nor there is down, as far as I can see.

4. AllyRdr

AllyRdr Member

Country Flag:
    I kept getting a 404 error on OCC earlier, but it's fine now.

5. Dionysian

Dionysian Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    A brutal MD2 sees a 2-1 win for Nurvana over fly's chaos, but at great cost. One dead warrior, the MA3 warrior now has -AV and my other good one is MNG. So I have no claw for MD3 against loophole's undead and only 2 warriors (one of which is a rookie). Saving the season is going to be tricky. I'm currently squirreling away change from the treasury whenever I think Ellaria won't notice and will hopefully have the courage to leave Nurvana at the end of the season to move into a battered coaches home.

6. 20phoenix

20phoenix Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    20phoenix
    Country Flag:
    Lost 3-1 to Jounisiis Pros. Player advantage lasted all of 3 turns as PD saved the pros from LOS blocks while my team cannibalised themselves. Evaded the early pressure to send Jerry clear but he snaked a GFI to get out of blitzing range. No vamp players even close so we conceded on turn 8. Heat claimed both elf blitzers but the vamps had no real answer to pro offence. Second attempted attack we had still failed to remove any elves so were players down. A quick push left was marked up so the vamps created space in the middle by killing a ST boosted link (apo confirmed) then killing a leaping wrackle catcher in the following blitz. However a skulls had been rolled on the space clearing blocks so when the carrier tried to evade the DT Blitzer he stacked it. Pros recover and a third TD is scored. Final drive Jerry scores a consolation on turn 16 after Pros fail to grab a loose ball. Disappointing but 1's and lack of pitch removal really hurt. We were unable to get our grind on as the ball never safely made it into a cage. One dead rookie thrall but who cares about them right? Bash time now

7. St Cloud

St Cloud Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    St. Cloud
    Country Flag:
    The Lordz post a 2-1 grind win against Mean & Green and his Darkies.

I really need to work on the offence as the Orkz are struggeling to move at any speed against a remotely competent defence.

Still: grind worked and 1-1-0 for the season.

8. notafunhater

notafunhater Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    notafunhater
    Country Flag:
    Disciples bounced back MD2 and defeated some Amazons in 2D. The ref was having none of it, as he had 3 fouls caught out of 7 total (2 bribes to begin with), and I was 1/1 on ejections. Nothing came of all those fouls though, the worst being a single KO that immediately returned to the pitch.

My Darkies couldn't remove any of the amazons either though, causing only a single CAS even though I was hitting them all game long with tackle pieces. Luckily he had just as hard a time, and we pulled out a 3-0 victory. Our inability to cause casualties so far is concerning (1 total in two games, both av7), and we have Bebeto's Nurgle up this week. They stamped us into the pitch the last two times we faced them.

9. akirilus

akirilus Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    MD2 saw the Wolves go up against tubragg's Imaginary Friends. This game started with a series of little insults from Nuffle that seemed to point in the direction of a loooong day. First I failed to win FAME, despite having a +3 FF advantage (it was a draw, we both got 0). Next, I won the coin toss and chose to receive (good) - but the ball landed directly on top of a zombie set up one square away from the LoS, and naturally the zombie was all over it (bad). This necessitated an end-of-turn hand-off, which needlessly wasted a RR (but at least had the courtesy of working the second time). After my opening 4 blocks netted me one stun and one wrestled werewolf, Tub's opening blitz immediately BHed my MB/Guard Wight (regen failed). I then knocked over the offending Golem with Hides in Bushes, but the initial result was no armor break. Figuring I am paying 30 TV for something, I Piled On and got a red cross (Serious Concussion, regen failed). But then turn 2 Tub 2-assist fouls Hides in Bushes for a KO (no ejection), after clearing out space using 1d blocks. A couple years ago that probably would have been enough to let melancholy set in, seeing that I was down to 3 agile positionals on the field by the start of turn 3 of my offensive drive, but that would have been a great way to lose the game, so I started improvising. The improvisation was helped by the enemy Wight (Str 4, but AV 7) going down BH after a zombie punched him in the chest (regen failed), and then the other enemy golem going down BH following a blitz from my junior wolf (regen also failed). Now all of a sudden Tub was missing all his Str 4 players, while I was in a terrible field position in terms of ball security, and had to either score now or not at all. 1-0 on turn 5/4.

The return drive can be summed up with two words - long bomb. After doing what I could to contain Tub, he made a naked dodge by his werewolf to run into the endzone, then took 2x GFI and threw a long bomb pass with his ghoul (who does have AGI 4), avoided interception, caught the ball, and made it 1-1 on turn 7/7. That play was a bit of a punch in the crotch, and if it failed, I would have been able to surf his wolf and potentially have a shot at being up 2-0 by halftime... but it didn't fail, and that's how the half ended. Credit where credit is due - ballzy but highly effective play by Tub.

In the second half, I set up to defend and got a Blitz on the kickoff. With a strength advantage it was now or never, so I exerted full court press (the ball was going to land too deep to actually try catching it). Tub successfully made all the dodges and ball handling rolls with his ghouls (and at least 3x GFI too), rolling into midfield, but without meaningful cover. The ghoul was Blodged up, while my wolves were on the opposite end of the field, so I had to use a chain push to actually advance Tub's carrier one square into my territory, but placing him on the side-line - then a Flesh Golem took one GFI to deliver a 2d blitz for a surf. The throw-in put the ball very deep in MY half of the pitch, with both teams mostly engaged directly across the midfield line. It turned into a mad dash for the ball, which my ghouls won, and because of the scattered play, Hides in Bushes went to town. The end of the game was not very exciting, as attrition took its toll and Tub was left with one Wight and a couple zombie to watch the winning TD go in at the buzzer.

2-1 final score.

Very tense game - GG Tub!

Next week - Scar's killer chaos team (Gors of Zuvassin) - 4 MB/Claw players, 2 of them have Piling On. Mino + 4 CWs + Str-boosted beast = 6 STR 4+ players that can be fielded simultaneously. I am definitely outgunned, not sure what the best way to face these guys is.

10. Chubberson

Chubberson Member

Cyanide Username:
    Chubberson
    Country Flag:
    The OCC Open will welcome KON with open Arms. Very much a retirement village. In other 'news' down in 6a The Band lost MD1 to some greenskins and gave away an admin loss against Darayawus. Drythorn and his lizzies, see if we cant scrape a draw together!

11. jounisii

jounisii Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    jounisii
    Country Flag:
    Boys have started their season with a bang. First they outelfed Enarion's wussies 4-3 and then they scraped 3-1 victory over 20p's vamps. Nice to have the scalps of 2 heavy weight coaches on the wall. But the pain is only starting: Bar and his orcs next.

12. 20phoenix

20phoenix Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    20phoenix
    Country Flag:
    Crazy game last night. First Orc drive saw us sack the Orc carrier a few times before making it stick and collecting the ball. I was then sacked myself with the Orcs recovering but they couldn't get far. Wizard zapped Filet Mignon but just a stun. I had an easy blitz on carrier but a misclick while patching meant I lost the blitz. Sigh. Sacked the carrier repeatedly despite numbers dwindling to 4 or 5. Managed to recover the ball on turn 7 but was hauled down. Sidestepped so the ball went into a TZ but it wasn't enough and Orcs scored.

Second half vamps completed a routine two turner then set about the Orcs again. A further two or three sacks followed with the vamps unable to recover the loose ball. There was a chance to win but a run of lust put paid to that so we blitzed the only orc in range to secure a 1-1 draw.

I must have taken down the carrier 8 or 9 times in that game but was continually frustrated by 100% dump off success. That misclick probably cost me the game though. My regeneration did it's work today - 3/3 including saving Horace and Doris from niggles. Horace in particular had a bad game. KO'd in turn 1 on a 1d no tackle blitz, recovered, failed to surf an orc, successfully surfed the Orc thrower then got injured on another hit. If he keeps up that behaviour we may have to cull him.

13. narg

narg Member

Country Flag:
    Just realized that Coachman was BJJ Hero! That's funny.

A bit surprised really. I just rechecked the BBTactics woodie section, it's not written anywhere that journeymen are OP or that you should take dirty player on linemen. Team strategy doesn't mention either that you should beat the crap out of bash teams with your woodies...

;)

AllyRdr likes this.
  14. Jav

Jav Active Member

Steam Username:
    Javelin
    Cyanide Username:
    javelin
    Country Flag:
    LOL, that WE team took me behind the woodshed. They're a violent bunch!

15. akirilus

Country Flag:

And given that Coachman is the one driving them, is that in any way surprising? :)

16. jrpeart

jrpeart Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    jrpeart
    Cyanide Username:
    jrpeart
    Country Flag:
    Only that the word very wasn't used in the sentence :p

17. coachman

coachman Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    bjj hero
    Country Flag:
    I play full contact Woodelves...

18. coachman

coachman Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    bjj hero
    Country Flag:
    2-0 win over Mr Jones Amazons where I bullied them. 2 short of my +7 cas trophy. Again the loner elf was a beast.

19. akirilus

Country Flag:
    MD3 and The Gors of Zuvassin - the 11 player chaos team loaded for T-Rex. A CPOMB legendary beast (with Block/Tackle/Pro). A CPOMB chaos warrior (with Tackle, Block and Jump Up). A CMB legendary minotaur with Block and Pro. And another beastman with STR+, Mighty Blow and Claw (as well as Block and Tackle). When I first saw this team, I said "these aren't my pants - someone just wet them". The only positives here were a general lack of Guard (only one CW and the Mino had it) and no bench. Well, the no bench part got addressed via inducements (2 loners were invited), the Gors won the toss and naturally chose to receive... and that's where we entered the twilight zone.

The newly minted legendary (gained level 7 last game) minotaur lined up on the LoS, wanting to bestow all his fury upon my zombie dwarf with Fend. He opened up the turn (a somewhat unusual decision, imo), rolling Skull/Push. Unacceptable - Fend would prevent the followup, so he Pro's it into... a double skull. And KOs himself. As the FIRST action of Scar's opening turn. This obviously made matters interesting, but for the next 5 turns the battle swirled indecisively around midfield. The Gors couldn't advance the ball, I couldn't get at it, and neither side was getting removals. Well, that's not entirely true - the legendary killer beast piled on, and since it's rude not to kick POers, a zombie kicked him, with a little help from 3 of his friends. DEAD. But the apo intervened -> BH, so no damage. Then around turn 5 the floodgates of CAS opened, with a loner beastman giving himself a groin strain on an end-of-turn 1d block against a zombie, the AGI+ beastman going down DEAD from a golem blitz (no apo to save it), and a rookie CW getting his collar bone smashed by Hides in Bushes. That lead to a turn 8/8 defensive TD - 1-0.

The entire second half was spent with me camping in Scar's territory. I didn't want to score quickly because anything can happen, and because all the killers were still around, so we kept trading blows. I got a couple KOs out of the deal, Scar MNGed Mark Einstein (the junior flesh golem), and the second TD went in on turn 16/15. Nothing happened on the last turn, so 2-0 final.

Honestly, this is a better outcome than I had any right to expect, given the opposition I faced. Despite the carnage, not a lot of long-term damage to either team - the Gors lose their ball carrier, but he was already AV-busted. The CW was a 3/6 SPP rookie, so his loss is expensive gold-wise but does not deprive the team of any development. The other death was successfully prevented, and everything else was BH or MNG.

I get to face Loop's undead a golem down next week, which is not the most pleasant of prospects, but c'est la vie.

GG Scar.

P.S. This game at times made me think of Remthar and his deep, undying love of minotaurs. If you watch this replay, Rem, I am sure it will reinforce your feelings on the matter :) .

Last edited: May 17, 2015
  20. AllyRdr

AllyRdr Member

Country Flag:
    Lost 2-1 to Bantha's vamps in MD3.