1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cyanide BBTactics in the OCC Season 20

Discussion in 'League and Team Development Tactics' started by 20phoenix, Oct 2, 2013.

1. akirilus

akirilus Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    From what I remember of pidpad's diagram, top 3 teams get promoted and bottom 3 teams get demoted, assuming a static environment. In practice, I think all it takes is one or two re-rollers in tier 4 and 4th place teams will go up. Also, from everything I've been told, there are enough re-rollers and people sitting out that no one in tier 4 and lower ever gets demoted - demotion is primarily a concern in Tier 1 (where you either win, come in second, or go away), and also in Tier 2. I think Tier 3 teams also have a reasonable chance of getting demoted, but usually only from the bottom 2 spots. So if I were making a bet, I would bet you and your Orcs are going to Tier 4 for Season 21.

As a side note - good catch on the endzone surf... In the heat of the moment I failed to consider that pushing my wolf into the endzone with the ball would result in a TD before you can try to bounce him into the crowd. Still, had I not tired a dodge, you would have had 6 block dice (2d block x2, RR if needed) to roll a 5+ (you had Tackle, so POW! was sufficient despite Blodge). I am pretty sure that wolf was going down if I left it standing - but good catch! I really should pay more attention to details :) .

2. Dionysian

Dionysian Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Nurvana only needed a draw vs humbe to auto-promote to 2C (or 2D if blinck beats timka tomorrow), a situation that rarely leads to interesting games. This was no exception. 1-1. Nurvana sat contentedly in the middle for almost all of the 2nd half, letting their win chances dwindle to keep loss % as close to 0 as possible. Brienne's T15 break away snake-eyed to confirm a draw. Jon Snowmuffin, the last rookie warrior stuck on 5 spp for most of the season and so pleased on MD8 to get a cas letting him move up to big boy block school with his peers, remains on 5 spp after his admittance was revoked and he couldn't repeat the feat in MD9. Despite this (and the seeming inevitability that a BD result from him sometime next season will lead to the death of someone important) I'm swinging slightly back towards continuing with OCC as my sole cyanide league.

3. Kjelstad

Kjelstad Active Member

Steam Username:
    Kjelstad
    Cyanide Username:
    Kjelstad
    Country Flag:
    I am going to T2 next season so there will be no shortage of Vampires. Am I going to A B or C? Right now I have 3rd place but Blackmist can over take me winning by 2 as can Danton. They ar both at +3 while I am +4 on the TD ratio. Danton has a really good chance at this too. REALLY good. No really...

I forget what the second tie breaker is. I thought it was overall TD but read it was defensive the other day. I can't be bothered to read the rules, that is Pidpad's job.

4. AllyRdr

AllyRdr Member

Country Flag:
    Finished the season with a 1-1 draw with Anraka's Ogres.

Going to sit out next season as a player while I consider whether I'm continuing with this team.

5. Juriel

Juriel Active Member

Country Flag:
    I finish as #1 in my division. As usual.

Guess I will go into tier 1, and hope that forces me to focus proper. Without too many elves..

6. Narly Bird

Narly Bird Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Turn 16 and i am up 2-1 vs Fastsharks Chaos. A win will see in 2nd place and promotion to div1. The Chaos Warrior is within a gfi of the endzone, but i have him double marked and have 2 more players screening between him and the endzone. I also have another Vamp screening the endzone in case he should try to go round my main defenders.

The Vamp is blitzed down by a tackle Beast. Another Beast dodges free of my marker and does 2 gfi's to the endzone. The Warrior hands off to another warrior, who runs around and does a quick pass to the Beast, who catches it. Bye bye div 1. :( That needed a 3+,2+,2+,3+,3+,3+ with a rr. Around 36% chance according to Samba. If the blitz hadn't knocked over my Vamp, it would have added another 2+ to the rolls.

But actually i can't complain about the T16 elfball, as i had the better dice for the game (d6 of 5 vs 2 and 2d6 of -4 vs -6). I also didn't play particularly well as i was half asleep (4:30am match), so i think a 2-2 was probably deserved. It was just hard seeing div1 slip through my fingers like that...

I will take a break from OCC next season, but probably come back with my Vamps for the following season.

7. Juriel

Juriel Active Member

Country Flag:
    Jimmy, I watched that whole game. You gave that turn 16 away! I wanted to play you in div1, not more elves!

Ah well.

NEXT SEASON'S TIER 1:
    Tier 1: HE and DE remain
    2A: Chaos Derps, Undead
    2B: Chaos Derps, Dwarves OR Amazon
    2C: Skaven, Khemri
    2D: Orc, Dork Elf

2B, Hobnail's Zons need a win against the division-leading CDs later today to get in. So, it's looking like 3 elves, 3 dwarves, neither match-up something I'm all that excited about.

8. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Juriel mentioned that you pushed that beastman closer to the endzone when taking it down, making that two GFI move at all possible.

But just as well if you can't play next season ...

9. Narly Bird

Narly Bird Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Indeed i didnt play that match well at all, so i think the result was deserved.

The problem i am having is that i have very little free time due to RL. And due to my crappy timezone i often play matches very early AM (like today's match which started at 4:30am). Vamps are a thinking mans team and its hard to think at 4:30am. Which is why i was going to switch to a more conventional team where i can play half asleep and still do alright, as there isn't as much involved. But i decided to wait until BB2 comes out before switching.

Vamps will always be my #1 love, but until i have the time to really focus on games, i think i will probably play other races in a league environment instead. :eek:

10. Juriel

Juriel Active Member

Country Flag:
    Yeah, we talked about your timezone briefly, and I figured it would have to be that early for you... I know I play horribly right after waking up, or after midnight.

11. Citizen Nev

Citizen Nev Member

Country Flag:
    support your local dwarves for tier 1

12. 20phoenix

20phoenix Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    20phoenix
    Country Flag:
    Technically speaking you're both local to me. Grew up in Poole - your stomping ground I believe while Hob is just down the road from my current locale. Tie breaker has to be race which Hob wins hands down :p

13. Everblue

Everblue Active Member

Country Flag:
    As referenced elsewhere I beat Ging 1-0 in 2D, to end the career of the Grey Haven Guard. I finished third, behind Tx by one in TD difference.

I'm rerolling to underworld for next season.

14. Juriel

Juriel Active Member

Country Flag:
    Atonement complete!

15. Kaz

Kaz Active Member

Cyanide Username:
    Kazman29
    Country Flag:
    Gratz Juriel, would love to see you win the big one!

Meanwhile, my High Elves are staying in Tier 2 and not getting demoted to Tier 3 so I am going to try another season even though I am starting to tire of them and don't play them very well. Had a tie with Hawca today to secure the spot and not be the first High Elf team to get demoted.... ever. I could have tried to stall and win, but I just needed a tie and didn't want to risk anything. I didn't get one casualty against the AV7 elves even with my MB Blitzer. Sometimes I need to be disciplined about using better positioning and not try taking guys out with MB too much.

16. Dionysian

Dionysian Well-Known Member

Country Flag:

Grats Nev. I, for one, am excited to see real dwarves in T1. (Although I'd have preferred to see both you and hob go up instead of the fake dwarves)

17. Citizen Nev

Citizen Nev Member

Country Flag:
    Cheers mate.

I'm going to get hammered next season :(

18. Kaz

Kaz Active Member

Cyanide Username:
    Kazman29
    Country Flag:
    I'm not so sure! I see a grand total of three claw players in the whole Tier, and one of them is on Juriel's skaven! You could survive and do fairly well if players are staying on the pitch.

19. Juriel

Juriel Active Member

Country Flag:
    Yeaaaaah... Not looking good on the dwarf-weakening front, there. Still, Ratigan managed 23 CASes this season, let's see if he picks up the pace.

If not, it's still okay, that looks like just the right kind of an environment for some unskilled AV7! I have 1190k in the bank (after the division winnings get factored in), I can buy my way to a full team. :p

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  20. hungrygnome

hungrygnome Member

Country Flag:
    After a Pitiful 2-3-4 season with my Lizards, Musical Menu, in the last 2 games they play the bad luck finally stops. A draw in MD 8 Vs a team that shouls have beat me, and a 3-0 win with average dice over a mirror match VS other lizards. He had slightly better saurus ( including a tackle one), but my skinks were MUCH more skilled. Plus I CAS or KOed 7 of his players, including the Krox. My block Krox and my Block Skink are now tied at 5 CAS each. Such a pitiful Krox...