1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cyanide BBTactics in the OCC Season 22

Discussion in 'League and Team Development Tactics' started by 20phoenix, Mar 18, 2014.

1. AllyRdr

AllyRdr Member

Country Flag:
    Match played and the Short Red Line take the victory.

[​IMG]

Received in the first half after Ethik won the toss, and ground down the pitch for the 8 turn score to go in one nil at the half.
    Second half and I kick short, and Ethik is betrayed by the dice, allowing me to recover the ball early, and grind out the 2 score win.

2. AllyRdr

AllyRdr Member

Country Flag:
    Only one level up, but my runner has been rewarded for his scoring exploits with a double.

3. Everblue

Everblue Active Member

Country Flag:
    Ha! I meant accurate.

Got boxcars in the end and was too respectful of Nuffle to turn it down. We are MD3 I think and I have precisely zero tackle. Could be fun!

4. Jav

Jav Active Member

Steam Username:
    Javelin
    Cyanide Username:
    javelin
    Country Flag:
    MD2 saw my Undead Quiet lose 1-0 to the Imaginary Friends in 2D.

I got hit by a rock from the fans twice (killed one of my wights), and in the second half I failed 6 consecutive pick-up attempts that would have led to a tie. They were all 4+ attempts but you'd think one would make it!

On to next week, things have to improve at some point... The good news is I picked up a shiny butterfingers award :)

5. akirilus

akirilus Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Quick recap of my game against Jimxxx's "super-chaos". I fired Vorshar the reanimated assassin, and with him gone had enough inducements to take Nekh, Luthor, Wizard and 2x babes. I thought 2x babes would do me more good than an Igor, and I was right, on the whole...

Won the toss, chose to kick, and started picking on beastmen when I could while generally not letting chaos freely into my side. Their Minotaur is Block/Juggernaut/SF, so my flesh golems were useless against it. On turn 2 I saw a good opportunity to use the wizard, with 4 players (including the BC) next to my line, but once again it gave me 1/4 KD without any armor breaks. Chaos did decide to rush their offense, though, and threw a pass with the Str4/Agi4/SH super-ball handling beastman. The pass was inaccurate, and ended their turn - I then blitzed away the receiver with Luthor (hoping he doesn't double skull the thing - he didn't: skull/push) And picked up with my rookie WW. Jimxx pulled back, while I pushed upfield, using Nekh and Luthor to shield the advance the best they could. Eventually on turn 8/8 Luthor had the ball, and he could either take a GFI to score or hand off to the rookie wolf, who could then score without additional rolls. The odds of failing a GFI with loner are ~9%, the odds of failing a 3+ handoff with RR are ~11%, so on the premise that wolf SPP are infinitely more useful than Luthor SPP, I took the handoff and scored. 1-0 at the half, on a defensive score.

When setting up for the second half, I saw an opportunity to push a flank, either creating an opening there and then, or making chaos overcommit and the going the other way. Unfortunately (for me), the kickoff produced pouring rain, and I have no SH. To make matters even worse, my WW rolled a skull-skull on his blitz, eating the RR. To make a long story short, I then failed 5 pickup attempts in a row, before finally getting the ball when half the chaos team was in my backfield. i decided I need to take GFI with my rookie WW to get the ball out of trouble (and possibly even punt it), but the wolf failed his first GFI and DIED. No regen. Chaos then picked up the ball (Agi 3), threw a vanity pass (to an agi 4), handed off again (to and agi 3) and scored with the beastman of their choice, all without touching a single RR. In my face.

After that I was mainly trying not to lose, and used Luthor to make the pickup (it didn't stop raining - chaos got a free RR). Although there was an opportunity to spring the remaining wolf into scoring range by blitzing through a CW with 2 assists (and then running away), it immediately extinguished itself when the wolf rolled skull-skull on the opening block. I was able to bring down the only beast in scoring range on the following turn, and the game ended 1-1.

I lost the rookie wolf, after he scored the TD. MVP went to Nekh. In return I smashed the collar bone of the agi4/str4 super beast, but the apo fixed it to an MNG. Overall, not a terrible toll, but a win that got turned into a draw, and another 120K gold down the toilet. Fun times :) .

6. Juriel

Juriel Active Member

Country Flag:
    MD2 for my newbie Vamps in 6D: another already-skilled opponent team, while over the whole match none of my Hypnos work, nor Regen. 20k loss earnings, MNG Vamp for 3rd match.

7. Moncap

Moncap Member

Country Flag:
    Md2 against Bobsol's Vampires. I don't like vampires, seems like failing rolling lots of ones, you are never safe and they can normally come up with some shannaigans. These were well developed, one killer, one move 8 tackler, a couple of pro utility, one with sidestep, and all if course with blodge. But there were only four. So my plan, other than hoping really hard for 1s, was to hope to remove them from the pitch. This plan worked very well.

The kick was far enough back to be fairly safe, and right next to my agile wolf. I risked a pick up with the St + ghoul which worked, at least hoping to limit him to 1d blocks against some of the time.

I tried to keep the ball carrier as safe as possible. I didn't do too badly, but he managed to sack the ball carrier on turn 6 I think with a rerolled 1d block (this is from memory so details may be wrong). But by then the injury dice had been massively in my favour. I had injured one vamp, knocked one out, and surfed another, just the sidestepped left, trapped on the sideline by a wall of the undead. And the thrills were'nt doing much better. It came down to needing a ghoul to pick it up in the rain, and hand off to the agile wolf. This all worked without a reroll, so 1-0 to me at half time.

He was back up to two Vamps at the start of the second half, but was soon back down to one. He made a break with his Ag+ but otherwise unskilled thrall. He made some dodges to give cover from one side, but failed one, leaving him wide open to be hit by a number of my players. I was thinking the mighty blow wolf is the man for the job, when I must have hit end turn by mistake.

After a brief conversation Bobsol said something to the effect of 'sorry man, but I'm in a rush to get two touchdowns' and ran the thrall in to score.

I'm not sure there is a general stance about what is the thing to do when this happens in the occ or not. I guess it was my mistake, we're in tier 2, and it's a competitive game and stuff. But to go from such a good defensive position to being at 1-1, didn't put me in a good mood. The blitz and killing of my rookie ghoul that followed didn 't help either. The blitz also allowed him to get a tackle thrall next to agile wolf who has next to the ball. I blitzed him with the mighty blow wolf.

Normally, I don 't want to cause any permanent damage to my opponent, but when I killed his thrall, I did so with a smile. Picked the ball up with the agile wolf, sure hands saving a reroll, and moved to the left, caging as well as I could. I think he pulled off some hypnotic gazing at this point and managed to get in a 2d block that didn't take the wolf down even with a reroll. The wolf scampered away, and my superior numbers, strength, and mighty blow began to tell. The number of players he had left on the pitch fell, and the number of players he had stood up fell by even more.

The ones that stood up got knocked down again, and the wolf hung around the end zone, ready to score on turn 16. But when turn 16 came, I couldn't move anyone. Some bug to do with the wizard I think (I tried to lightning bolt his remaining vamp on turn 15 when he was lying on the ground). So after trying everything either of us could think of to move the wolf over the line, 4 minutes passed.

Bobsol agreed that the bbm result (the one that counts for promotion etc) should be changed to 2-1. But the match as a whole left me feeling conflicted. I guess bugs like that make me lose faith in the game a little bit, and I was annoyed with myself for pressing end turn by mistake. I had a wizard to spare, and was thinking a 3-0 was doable at that stage.

Still, a win is a win, and I'll take what I can in what I'm sure will be a tough season

Last edited: Apr 6, 2014
  8. St Cloud

St Cloud Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    St. Cloud
    Country Flag:
    No suprise on MD2. The Slaves lost 2-0 to Youngstars Dwarfs. My team wasn't able to field a bull and the two loner hobgobs were not capable of stemming the tide.

Happy days hopefully coming up...MD3 sees both of my horses being trotted out!

Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
  9. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Given that there are mods that can make sure you don't misclick (Cyanide default seems to have a capture box bigger than the graphic) it's generally seen as OK to abuse the opponents mistakes, just as in Tabletop if you accidentally dodge with your mummy thinking it was your wight.

And just as in TT some sportsmanship exists - some opponents will end their turn in exchange, letting you go on, but that's them being good, it's not mandatory.

I'm going to end up between the two camps. I'm not going to wait until after our game to point you in this direction: http://bbtactics.com/forums/how-not-misclick-end-turn-button-t1683/ :rolleyes::p

10. PaloLV

PaloLV Member

Cyanide Username:
    PaloLV
    Country Flag:
    My rookie Orcs continued their winning ways in 6D notching another 3-0 victory over rookie Chaos. I had no skillups while he had a str 4 beastman. I KO'd a beast and BH a CW on T1 when I received and Chaos never had a chance the rest of the game. One of my BO's made all 3 CAS I got in the game; CW, his Str 4 Beast, and another beastman. He went 9/10 on knocking down his target on blocks in the game with a push/push as the failed block.

Unfortunately the "easy" days are over and now my Orcs with 3 skills will be going into four weeks in a row vs TV 1500 Lizards with a L4 block Krox, TV 1350ish Orcs with a block Troll, TV 1700 Norse, and TV 1400ish Necro. If things don't get too bloody vs the Lizards and I roll at least 40k in winnings I might actually be close to the other Orc team's TV with 12 players and a new troll on my side. The Norse and their claw/MB snow troll really concern me though.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
  11. Barristan

Barristan Member

Country Flag:
    Over in 3D the BBT gauntlet continues as my Orcs faced Jrpeart's Delves. He chose to kick and I took my 8 turns to score. My DP MNGed a lvl4 Lino T1 but was ejected T2 on a KO. Otherwise I made only one other cas (MNG as well), but he suffered one sent-off and more KOs, so he was down to 5 when I ran it in. He had managed to sack the carrier T5 after two 2D uphill blocks with a Witch but he was already too low in numbers to take advantage.

11 vs 10 for the second half, and a pitch invasion took down 6 Orcs for 2 Elves. He was able to bring receivers forward easily and T10 a Witch received the pass to stop 1 square away from the EZ. To 2D blitz her I needed a 3+ dodge/GFI from my Thrower, and a 4+dodge/3+dodge/2*GFI from my killer blitzer. All passed (with a RR on the third dodge) and the Witch went down but was not even stunned, and I did not dare piling on as failure would leave the ball unprotected in my EZ (anyway my PO hardly ever works, out of 6-7 PO this game I got one stun and 1 KO). He still had options but snake eyed his first dodge. So the ball was extracted and caged. Jr however had other plans, making a 4+ dodge/2D uphill blitz (with no RR at hand!) coming up :powdodge::pow: and downing my carrier, then picking up the ball in a TZ, dodging out... and failing the long pass to the Witch waiting in the EZ. Nuffle was still undecided though as I rolled a double 2 on my following pick-up attempt and Jr then had an easy time blitzing my single TZ away and scoring the equaliser T12. My mistake for not covering the ball better.

He had 8 players left vs 11, but then things went badly for him again and he was out of RRs. He got a dub skull early on resulting in a BH Blitzer, then a failed dodge nearly first action, allowing me to run the ball up his flank practically unopposed and score the winner T16.

All in all a great game. No permanent damage to his team but no less than 4 MNG players (2 cas + 2 fouls). I got my rookie Blitzer MNG as well going into the game vs Jounisii's Pros, but enough cash to just rebuy him (he has 0 SPP) if this seems like a good idea. This is going to be a must-win, first because he keeps saying he can't possibly win ;) ; and second because he already has 6 points and the potential to defeat anyone in the division.

12. jounisii

jounisii Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    jounisii
    Country Flag:
    Boys in Spandex grabbed their 2nd victory of the season against Mohawk1980's khorne deamons 2-0. Surpringly, pros actually are on the top spot of 3D. That won't last long. Next week's match is against Barristan's orcs and basically Boys have no chance of winning that 1 ;) The goal is to walk away from that clash w half the team still alive...

13. Etheric

Etheric Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Etheric
    Country Flag:
    Have never had trouble winning games with Pros, more of an issue keeping my team alive while I do it :D.

14. Kjelstad

Kjelstad Active Member

Steam Username:
    Kjelstad
    Cyanide Username:
    Kjelstad
    Country Flag:
    I have what will be one of my toughest games of the season vs Hawca's Woodies on Wednesday. I could have postponed it a day or more and got BJJ Hero to fill in for the easy win but I have never played Hawca. I'm not sure if you know of this Hero but he is a terrible Coach, Man!

15. notafunhater

notafunhater Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    notafunhater
    Country Flag:
    Disciples managed a 2-1 victory against Chorfs in 3A MD2. Could have been 3-0 but I couldn't quite manage to get the ball away from him again. Even better, I came away with only a couple of BHs so no lasting damage!

Would like to have been able to feed a couple of TDs to my rookie Assassin but wasn't able to engineer it. I did get a level on a blodge/tackle Blitzer however, will likely take side step but also considering Strip Ball or Dauntless assuming I don't get a double or stat boost. I feel it's time to start adding some flavor to my team's solid base. Khemri next week!

16. Viajero

Viajero Active Member

Country Flag:
    No, no, he is excellent at NOT rolling "1"´s that is all! :p

17. PaloLV

PaloLV Member

Cyanide Username:
    PaloLV
    Country Flag:
    So my rookie Orcs are 2-0 and in first place. However, they face the four best teams of the division in a row starting this week. My 1120 Orcs with 3 RR and an Apo including a loner lino and three L2 orcs (block thrower and BOB and a MB blitzer) go up against 1500 TV Lizards which have a MB L2 saurus, an L4 block/SF/MB Krox, two block skinks, and two L2 Saurus with block.

380k of inducements and how to spend them? Viable options seem...
    Wizard, DP merc lino, and a bribe. Blasting a fireball to catch several skinks and a couple saurus could be useful. Not sure I've got the speed or agility to make use of a lightning bolt to a ball carrier.

2 DP merc linos and a bribe. Gives me a bench of 2 players and if I can get a DP free from the scrum to foul a skink it could really help me get rid of the little buggers.

Apo, babe, DP merc lino, and a bribe. Gives me more safety to keep my team intact for the following 3 weeks where I face 1350+ Orcs, 1600-1700 TV Norse, and 1400 TV Necro. It has the least chance of helping me win or draw this particular game though.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
  18. Kjelstad

Kjelstad Active Member

Steam Username:
    Kjelstad
    Cyanide Username:
    Kjelstad
    Country Flag:
    he rolled a couple but not many. luckily it was when it counted. I had a fair chance to go up 2-0 end of the half and couldn't even dodge. cleared of thralls saw me self destruct. I should have spent apo on my last KO. I control my destiny still but this is not a good spot this season

19. akirilus

akirilus Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Played Cookie's 50 Shades of Grey for MD3 over in 3A. You can look up his roster, but I'll sum up - 13 players, 2270 TV, Str 5/ Dodge (yes, STR FIVE) Runner, a super-star witch elf with MB, and a Str4/Agi5 blitzer. Basically a team blessed with good health and rolls, against my 1750 TV cart of rookies and corpses. I took Nekh, Wizard, Bribe and Babe as inducements.

I'll sum up. Cookie won and chose to kick, I failed 4 pickups in a row, he scored. Some other stuff happened in between (like me using Nekh to strip the ball from the super-star witch elf), but the important part here was 2 pickup turnovers for me, and zero failed d6 rolls for the elves (as well as great block success) - 0-1.

I then received, Cookie hugged me with his abundant Side Steppers and Diving Tacklers, but I managed to drive in the score - used the wizard LB on the Str4 Blitzer, and gave him a BH, so for the first time in I can't remember how long the wizard ACTUALLY HELPED. 1-1.

Because I couldn't stall (too much DT, and a huge mobility/skill advantage for the elves), I left Cookie 2 turns to respond, then compounded the error by setting up my FG improperly during pre-kick. He made every roll he needed, I tackled his witch elf, but he just picked up and GFIed the TD anyway - 1-2.

He then received, and despite being reduced to 5 active players, scored again, after completing a dumpoff out of 2 TZs (nota did it twice, why not the other elf team... except this runner doesn't even have Pass, and doesn't need one). 1-3

I had 3 turns to respond and cookie had 5 players to set up, so after reducing that number to 3, I scored with my rookie wolf for the second time at the gun. I COULD have tried making a lot of d6 rolls to rush the TD in 2 turns and cross my fingers for a Riot... but decided to take all 3 turns for a guaranteed skill on the rookie wolf. Final score: 2-3.

I can't be upset at this loss because I made several bad mistakes during the game. They are, in sort of chronological order:

a) I set up the wrong wolf on the LoS on the opening kickoff, wasting an opportunity to get a free hit AND committing my best blitzer to ball carrying duties, at least initially.

b ) I made a mistake on defensive setup turn 7/7, placing a FG one square higher than needed, and breaking up the defensive line.

c) I sandwiched the SS witch elf for a 2d frenzy blitz anticipating a followup... but she HAS FEND. No followup. Wasted a player. Could have potentially helped me in a different part of the field.

d) I did not pre-emptively mark up the dump off recipient in the second half, although doing so had it's own positional costs. Still, it probably would have been the right thing to do.

There were probably others, this is just what I remember.

Once again, 4 failed pickups in a row cost me points in the standings. Hides in Bushes, my lone remaining star player, took a Smashed Collar Bone on turn 14. He'd been hit twice the entire game, it's not like I actively put him in harm's way, but every hit on my wolves seems to break armor and kill them. Fortunately, he regenerated. The new wolf scored both TDs, then was voted MVP, then converted his 11 SPP in Block. I rolled 10K for winnings... which given that I was at JUST 1750 TV, means I got 0 gold for playing this game. But no one died, either.

On paper, it looks like cookie's team got massacred. He is certainly in bad shape for MD4, as his team has been reduced to 8 active players. However, in terms of death/retirement, the butcher's bill is actually not nearly as bad - he lost a rookie lino (MA- = retirement), a level 2 lino with Wrestle (killed outright on the first block of the game), and a level 3 lino (Wrestle/Kick, Smashed Collar Bone courtesy of my DP gang foul). Of those, only 1 player (the kicker) will have any impact on his game at all, and the core of 7 super-positionals (one witch is a rookie) remains completely intact. I only wish I could say the same.

GG

P.S. I won't quote detailed stats for this game, but once again I played against elves, and once again they failed nothing on their d6 rolls. This time there was a fall after a Dodge, at least - the super witch elf tried end-of-turn dodging away from Tackle into a TZ, failed, burned team RR, failed again, and MNGed herself (in the middle of the second half). One sequence, when the elves scored their secodn TD of the first half, involved TWELVE rolls in a row without a 1, including a naked 3+ pass.

P.P.S. One other thing - I killed an elf and got a zombie added to my roster. With Nekh and my 14 starting players, he was player 16...... BUT he was added to my team as NUMBER 17. Fortunately, as was mentioned in the inducements thread, there is now a scroll bar. But it seems that I can't even keep the free zombie, because I don't want to tempt fate. LE SIGH.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
  20. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    The free zombie during the game takes up one slot, and hiring him after the game takes another.

But at least the bug where you get 40 k cash for sacking him right away will let you buy another one in a better-numbered slot.