1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cyanide BBTactics in the OCC Season 30+

Discussion in 'League and Team Development Tactics' started by Jav, Dec 21, 2015.

1. Barristan

Barristan Member

Country Flag:
    In 4B, the Dragons started off with a 2-0 win vs some Gobs and a 1-1 draw in the rematch from last season vs Ronkoteus' Necros. Both good games, only a 5 SPP Beastman lost in the process. MD3 however will see us facing Orcs loaded on Guard and kill skills, while I'm down to 11 players with a Warrior out. I have some inducements to try and salvage something from this but I'm not overly confident, we'll see what Nuffle has in store for me.

Re Hombarus, I was having a bit of nostalgia reading past Orc threads on the OCC boards today and I found a statement from Doomy on this coach. A 4 letters word starting with 'd' and ending with 'k' to be precise, so you might be onto something there :p

2. Barristan

Barristan Member

Country Flag:
    Highlights of MD3

T1 Goat BH
    T2 Goat BH
    T3 Warrior dead Apo dead
    T6 Mino fails a GFI, dead Apo dead
    T10 bribe fails
    T11 my BC fails a dodge with RR and goes down BH

Then I stopped trying. That sums it up well. Only 11 SPP lost on the whole, 250K gold on the other hand is all my treasury. Bah. First loss for the team in their 12th game, not too bad.

Next up High Elves with about equal TV and 6 Blodgers/Wrodgers. Sigh.

3. Silfuin

Silfuin Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Silfuin
    Country Flag:
    Ouch, seems a brutal game and a huge setback for a young chaos team.
    Maybe nuffle is telling you that the Mino is not good for this team ... do you intend to replace him?
    Good luck against the blodgers, do you have at least some tackle?

4. Barristan

Barristan Member

Country Flag:
    Apart from the monetary aspect, I'm only really losing a Block skill on a Warrior, which is annoying but not catastrophic as I'm still in T4. I will replace the Minotaur as he has performed quite well so far and I want an early Claw to face the more developed bash teams.

I have a Wrackle Goat so far, and a level pending on a Block one. I was going to take Guard but might switch to Tackle as I still have Zons and Darkies coming up.

5. Everblue

Everblue Active Member

Country Flag:
    At least your mino died, which is good news.

6. Jav

Jav Active Member

Steam Username:
    Javelin
    Cyanide Username:
    javelin
    Country Flag:
    MD2 the Rat Taqueria faced off against Dakamancer's Necro squad. Dakamancer obviously understood how to play against Skaven as he didn't leave me any openings to get the ball from him on defense. I was thoroughly outplayed, and if not for a 1 turner on turn 8 I would have been shut out. Final score 2-1 for Dakamancer.

MD3 I faced Dogboyuk's human team. I was down 370 TV and picked up a wizard, an induced gutter (A failed snake eyed dodge into open spaced killed my guard gutter against Dakamancer, and the apoth was only able to fix him to -MA so he was out this match), and an extra apoth. I almost got a 1 turner for two weeks in a row but snake eyed GFI into the endzone dropped the ball out of bounds. That attempt would have put me up 3-1 on turn 13, but instead the ball was thrown back in right to Dogboyuk's thrower! With some luck I was able to get two SS gutters (one with diving tackle) close to his scoring attempt. After some jockeying Dakamancer ended up failing a dodge away from the diving tackle gutter to end the match. I was lucky to finish 2-1, as one of my scores came from a blitz and needed the wizard.

Carnitas, my thrower, got the MVP and he picked up block to go with accurate and safe throw. Carne Asada, one of my +STR Storm Vermin finally got a casualty and picked up my teams first Mighty Blow!

I only lost a linerat, though my kicker will be out next match.

7. notafunhater

notafunhater Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    notafunhater
    Country Flag:
    My Disciples ground to a 1-1 tie with Stahlburg's Nurgle in 2C. He received and scored on turn 3 to go up 1-0. What followed was about 10 turns of us stalling - we missed a TD to tie on turn 8 due to a failed catch in the end zone, then scored on turn 12 to equalize. A Blitz! result on the kickoff gave us a chance to win but we weren't able to capitalize when the Nurgle popped the ball free again. Agi5 heroics on turn 16 failed again on a catch that would have been the winning TD. On the bright side, he didn't cause a single casualty on us. Strange game. Nurgle can't hurt anyone, Elves can't handle the ball.

8. Silfuin

Cyanide Username:
    Silfuin
    Country Flag:
    Accion Mutante 1 - 2 Klobbering Klownz

[​IMG]

This Chaos team first drive resembled an elf drive, with typical screen for teh BC and scoring threats going deep.

The team has potential to do this, with a Strong Arm thrower and an AG4 beast to act as receiver.

I spotted teh cnahce to swarm the screen and mark teh BC and went for it, but botched the first required GFI thus handing out a nice hole to squeeze through.

A dodge and long pass later the score was 1-0 for the Chaos with ample time for me to score.

In my own offensive drive I managed without too much problem to bash my cage through and score with Grock on turn 7.

In turn 8 I setup against a possible 1TTD but Master key contented himself in blocking the LOS.

End of first half 1-1

Now it was my turn to attack and I was planning to slowly grind my way up to end 1-2.

I saw one tight moment where I left my cage corner (the troll) in contact with his Mino.

I expected the corner to be brought down and the BC either dropped or at least marked.

However the big scrum which was surrounding the cage favoured me due to all my guard and that the troll had stand firm and miraculously the BC was untouched.

I managed to take advantage of this and to bash my way through eventually scoring on turn 14 not before nearly invalidating everythign stupidly moving a lino to block the push that would have freed the BC.

Obviously the block came out PUSH and I had to rerolll to obtain the (now) needed defender down which I needed to unmark the BC.

This left to Accion Mutante just 3 turns to score, which a well placed pass could still do, however this time he had less men and teh offense was well blocked by the orks which dropped every possible threat and formed a good wall which even a well planned blitz from Master Key could not dislodge and it was game over.

Nice SPPs made and Grock is a step closer to get Piling ON.

9. Silfuin

Cyanide Username:
    Silfuin
    Country Flag:
    It was too good to be true, my winning streak had to finish soon.

Klobbering Klownz 0 - 2 Stumbling Blocks

[​IMG]

I elected to receive first.
    I moved badly, planned one thing then did another and found myself requiring a dodge and a GFI to complete.
    Burnt the reroll on the dodge and obviously failed the GFI leaving the BC open.
    Instead of blitzing him Knockoff elected to zap him BH and pushed through with 2 guys recovering the ball.
    Now I don't remember my reply to that, but it either was bad luck or prioritizing error and the dwarves scored.

Still had ample time to score myself so I setup and began my drive.
    Grock failed 2 pickups in a row, which I elected not to reroll (I had only one reroll left).
    The dwarves managed to mark the ball, then I tried the last resort (there were just 2 turns missing), but failed to handoff the ball to Bata.
    Luckily I managed to mark the ball and stop the dwarves so 1st half ended 0-1.

In second half I dropped my fear of teh dwarves and went full contact.
    My superior strength helped me drop some dwarves and my armour dice were on fire allowing me to send out 5 dwarves, drop all the others and finally pressure the BC which was fleeting alone in his own backfield with Bata and Grock.
    The little bastard managed to 1d blitz down Grock, survive a 2D blitz and outrun my men thanks to multiple dodges of the entire team to finally score the 0-2.
    It seemed that the dwarves couldn't fail anything in those last two turns.
    It was shocking, I never expected him to be able to escape me, but he did.

Final statistics for 1D6 on BBM report -15 for me and +23 for my opponent, I guess that explains some, but I can't blame nuffle for the stupid mistakes I did.
    What drives me crazy is that I realize I made a mistake immediately, so why do I keep doing them?

10. TravelScrabble

TravelScrabble Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    You just have to hone your instincts through repetition, spotting your mistakes immediately is a sign you're moving in the right direction, eventually you'll spot them before you make them.

Alternatively it might mean concentration is an issue, I make mistakes that I should know not to make when my head is not really in the game. If that's the case you have to work on concentration which is also eminently doable (though boring and maybe more effort than Nuffle is worth ;) ).

11. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    And don't play when too tired, even if you don't notice you are tired. I did a series of mistakes last game and that was bad. :(

12. notafunhater

notafunhater Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    notafunhater
    Country Flag:
    Disciples gave 800 in inducements to Endalos' woodie team and it ended up as a 2-2 draw after some Admin intervention (net sync on the bottom half of turn 16, admin roll showed I would have scored to tie). Game was tough. I couldn't get his players down or out enough to get a man advantage (he had 14 players with loners and stars). We're still in the middle of the pack in 2C and have given up 7 points now in 4 games. Not such a good showing so far.

13. Silfuin

Cyanide Username:
    Silfuin
    Country Flag:
    The worst game I plauyed in some time left me a bit depressed.

Klownz lost 0-2 to the Stunt Elves.

[​IMG]

Apart from my inability to send out elves and a couple of double skulls at key moments where I could have really used a Pow, I alone am to blame.

I was playing rather well in the first half when I had a 3/4 cage firmly established close to the elves end zone and with the other guys exchanging blows with the rest of the elves.
    However it turned out that with all the guard that the elves had I felt outbashed and begun to try really hard to bash back again.
    I entered a tunnel vision state concentrating on the bash game, and I lost sight of the big picture thus failing to move the cage when the elves got in range for a play.
    With my BC double marked by Sidestep pieces and not enough free players to swarm them and push them away I was left with no safe play and panicked a bit, resulting in a couple of silly turns where eventually I failed to recognize that it was turn 8 and played conservatively contenting myself just to recover the ball protecting the BC as best I could. On turn 8!
    That was really a dumb play.

In the second half the elves scored in 2 turns leaving me plenty of time to equalize, but I was still shocked from what just happened and thought of advancing my player as fast as I could, only to make a play which was sillier than my first half, if possible, placing my BC right behind the troll when the tree was still standing in front of him.
    Nuffle punished my stupidity and the following block of the troll came out a double skull so my cage was left highly exposed, which Moncap exploited spilling the ball and recovering it heading for my endzone, while entangling most of my players.
    I tried to reply and managed to put up a nice defense, but to avoid a GFI I left the flank exposed to a blitz, which punctually happened and the elves scored the 2-0 win.

The rest was just a silly brawl in my half scrambling for the ball which eventually I got despite heavy elf presence, but with not enough time to score, but at that time it really didn't matter.

Though I was so mad at the elves, I couldn't bring myself to foul Moncap's players in turn 16 (which I find really ungracious thing to do, though I have been exposed to this practice more than once) and took my frustration foul to the loner.

Nothing to sey: Moncap deserved to win. I am only angry at myself because from turn 4 on I completely lost my mind and played sloppy and bad.
    To my excuse I can only say that I was really tired and probably not in the perfect state to play, but hey, that's normal after a day's work, so I'll just better get used to it and learn to stay focused also when tired.

14. Jav

Jav Active Member

Steam Username:
    Javelin
    Cyanide Username:
    javelin
    Country Flag:
    MD5 the Rat Taqueria faced Bevan's Orc Squad "The Off Side" in 3B. This match included just about everything! A thrown goblin TD, two long bomb touchdowns from a strong arm, accurate Orc thrower (both over gutter runners and one of them double marked), two double skulls in one turn for Bevan, double ones for Bevan, a pitch invasion that only knocked over one player each, a blitz for the rats, a skaven one turn touchdown and eight total scores!

I was fortunate to come out ahead 5-3!

15. jounisii

jounisii Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    jounisii
    Country Flag:
    Boys have a bit of a rollercoaster season, 3-0-2 so far. I have something else to report - feast your eyes on this bastard:

[​IMG]

16. TravelScrabble

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    Cool, why sure feet and not sidestep?

17. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Apparently: To pass longer when the time comes.

18. jounisii

jounisii Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    jounisii
    Country Flag:
    As Nik said and... He often starts his dash for the downed ball quite far away. RR often gone for the blitz. He needs to get out of TZs to make the pass easier or to be able to run for cover -> GFIs...

19. TravelScrabble

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    Makes sense, I didn't notice he was a thrower :oops:

20. coachman

coachman Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    bjj hero
    Country Flag:
    A real beast J. I dont know how people get superstar elves though. The die so easily.