1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BC All Star Tournament Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Blood Bowl 2' started by TravelScrabble, Jan 10, 2018.

1. TravelScrabble

TravelScrabble Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    So the first edition of the BC All Star Tournament is coming to a close this Friday at 19GMT and will be streamed for your viewing pleasure. Good luck to @Guinness and @Mark Teal who are our finalists.

Thanks to all the coaches who took part by coaching, voting, streaming and taking an interest in the event which has been a lot of fun.

That said this was the first edition of this and I think the format can be improved. This thread is intended for discussions about the tournament, rules and format so that if we run another edition this year it can be even better.

I'm interested to hear any ideas, thoughts or expériences you have to share about the tournament that's just happened or for way to improve it in the future. Even if its just a good luck have fun to the finalists.

In the next post I'll put down a few thoughts of my own as well as some ideas from other coaches.

2. TravelScrabble

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    Proposal for format change: So my own though regarding this tournament was that the format for picking and composing teams was a bti awkward. Obviously we're limited by the mixed teams that Cyanide allows but as a way of dividing up the BC2 teams they don't work that well. So here is waht I suggest. Next time rather than having 1 of each of the seven mixed cyanide teams used to represent each of the BC2 races we let the participating coaches use whatever mixed team they want and then draft all stars.

The way it would work is something like this. Each of the 24 races in the game would contribute 2 all stars to the tournament and we would have a further 8-16 wild card all stars from any race. The finals 56-64 All stars would then go into a draft pool. 8 All star coaches would then be randomly assigned a drafting order and allowed to choose any player from the pool to their team. Picking in order and then reverse order 7-8 times until all the players are assigned BEARING IN MIND THAT THE FINAL TEAM THEY CREATE HAS TO BE PLAYABLE AS ONE OF THE MIXED TEAMS in other words its the coaches responsibility to ensure that the players they draft can play together. Once drafting is done you have 8 teams of 7-8 players and the coaches are once again fre to fill out their rosters up to 13 with free picks of BC2 players. I think done this way we would simplify voting and team composition.

Possible amendments would be allowing more wildcard picks to make up for races no being represented in BC2. Also possibly assigning the players in the draft pool into pots (rd 1, rd 2....rd7-8) with an eye to making sure that there won`t be players who aren`t left over due to not being eligible for any mixed team at the end. So in round 1 coaches are only allowed to draft from the rd 1 pot etc...

Thoughts?

Str Limit suggestion: another suggestion from @Street. This edition we had a limit of two big guys per team but that was overall too limiting for the undead team in particular. So instead we could either have an upper strength barrier that all teams have to conform to based on Khemri so that you can have a maximum of 4 str 5 and the rest str 3 (stat ups would not count into this limit) so that coaches are free to compose however they want OR say screw limits you can make any legal mixed team.

Max player type limit: From @Veggente To make it more interesting you can also limit the number of players of any positional type a team is allowed so only 1 WD 1 SV etc... I think personally one of each might be too restrictive for some player types e.g. Saurus or Chorf Blockers but overall it could make for more fun teams.

3. tys123

tys123 Courier Staff

Country Flag:
    If you want a player type limit divide the number allowed by the number of different races and round up.
    So if you have the 3 good elf teams you can have 1 wardancer ( 2 / 3 = 0.666 rounded up to 1) and 2 pro elf catchers ( 4 / 3 = 1.3333 rounded up to 2)

With a Chaos and Nurgle team you get 2 chaos warriors , 2 nurgle warriors , 2 pests , 1 mino and 1 beast.

The drafting option could give 1 player a big advantage if no one else is picking the players they want. Also you would need more than 2 players per race in the draft. Don't some of the mixed teams only have 2 or 3 races to pick from so even with the wild cards that is only going to be 8 players available and with other coaches also picking those races you are could only get 4 players from the draft you can use. The other 4 picks will just be the best player left so the other coaches don't get them. You don't want an all star comp where some of the best players have been picked to not play.
    If you want a drafting option I think a better approach would be to have everyone to pick the mixed race team they want to play and then draft each race individually. Have 12 players from each race ( a number that divides nicely into 2,3,4,or 6 ) and a mix of positions. Every player you pick has to go in your final team but you can skip if you think you have enough players of that race.
    So if I decide to play the Chaos , Dark elf , Skaven and Underworld team and we draft the Chaos 1st I am going to be looking for a couple of warriors but may decide to stop there as I only want 12 or 13 players , the best goats have gone and I have seen a lot of nice players from the other 3 races that I want.
    You could even change the number of players per race depending on how many different teams can have them. So if there is only 1 team that can take lizardmen they get 6 players but if there are 3 teams that can take chaos warriors they get 18 players.
    You can also limit the number of positionals in the draft. If there are only 6 chaos warriors in the draft and 3 people picking chaos then you are unlikely to end up with 4 warriors.

TravelScrabble likes this.
  4. TravelScrabble

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    Trouble with this is you lose the whole voting for All stars angle which is fun, although if you went to 6 for race that would still work for the most popular races.