1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wood Elf [BC] Cedarwood Cricket Club

Discussion in 'Team Blogs' started by Silfir, Nov 19, 2014.

1. Silfir

Silfir Member

Cyanide Username:
    Silfir
    Country Flag:
    "So, what about our next opponents?"

"They're elves as well," said Viv. "A team called Legends of the Asur."

"Finally, a sporting match against our elven kin!" exclaimed one lineself.

"None of this dreadful violence, just an exciting contest of skills!"

"Hurray!"

"They're from Ulthuan," read Viv off his scouting notebook. "High Elves."

Tense silence ensued.

"Several of their players are known for agility exceeding even elven standards. The foremost pundits in Ostland agree that they are favorites to win the league and beat all the other elven teams, while we are expected to finish second last overall, just barely ahead of the goblins."

The lineselves exchanged glances and shrugged. "That's fair," one mumbled.

Viv moved on to look at the sports paper. "When asked about what they had done to prepare for their match against us, one of the Legends players reportedly went on to laugh hysterically for at least five minutes."

Sighs went around the room. "We do kind of suck," admitted Duneld.

Viv narrowed his eyes. "He then went on to say that cricket is dumb."

Suddenly, the room went devoid even of the sounds of nature itself.

"Let's dwarf them."

---​

For a little while, things looked pretty great. The Cricket Club started off nervous; a very straightforward handoff for the lead-off score was almost fumbled, but the ball quickly bounced back into the hands of Berian Larah for the 1-0. Of course, with their 5 AGI Accurate Safe Throw (successful interception rerolled - curses!!) monstrosity at the ready, the equalizer following an almost successful wizard roll (the ball carrier was brought down, but the ball bounced back into the hand of a Legend) was no trouble at all.

Unfortunately, the match went out of the rails with a double skull rolled by Wilien Gilbereth to make way for Eldril, and instead of a 2-1 the Legends scored a defensive touchdown of their own just before halftime.

One of my main weaknesses as a coach quickly came to show: I don't know how to do 1TTDs. They're not particularly hard to even do with a Wardancer, objectively speaking, but I've never properly trained how to do them, and at least tonight I didn't have the presence of mind necessary to learn on the spot.

My only consolation going into the second half were tons of passed KO rolls; the bloodweiser babe at least paid dividends. Of course, I now had to defend again, and Garyfiel almost killed herself trying to get the ball knocked loose - but Flint proved himself the epitome of capable by rerolling Dead into Badly Hurt. That was about my quota for luck filled for the day; the Legends quickly made a run for the endzone and neither Shewynn nor Eldril could stop the ballcarrier from the 3-1 lead.

I did manage to come back for a 3-2; the ball had to travel far across the pitch, and I didn't quite manage to block my receiving lineman free and he failed the handoff. Luckily, I was deep enough into the endzone with enough players that I could recover the ball (with I think just about my only run of blocks going my way for the entire match) and run in the score anyway.

Of course, I was playing other elves, and concentrated too much on setting up for a hopefully successful Blitz that I left myself perhaps more open to the 4-2 than I should have, leaving the 5 AGI Accurate Thrower to throw an easy pass without even an interception attempt this time around.

Which left me with another attempt to try and score a 1TTD (this time more or less for practice purposes), which I hilariously bungled again. I need practice, and hard.

A more than fair result; I got out-elfed and good.

[​IMG]

On the bright side, with the MVP falling on Shewynn and just the right players scoring the touchdowns, there are several skillups waiting for me. Just what the doctor ordered.

On the somewhat less than bright side, Duneld Bradmyn was brought down with a smashed collar bone, and is looking at an early retirement before scoring a single point of SPP. But that does mean he's essentially guaranteed to stick around leading the CCC for the long haul - and who knows, maybe he's planning a comeback one day...?

2. Silfir

Silfir Member

Cyanide Username:
    Silfir
    Country Flag:
    "Greetings fans at home, this is Cabalvision's exclusive post-match coverage! We're here at the camp of the Cedarwood Cricket Club, rookie team of the Big Crunch here in the Ostland division. Preparations for departure seem to be ongoing, but we'll see if we can't get an interview anyway. Ah, here we have one of the scorers of today's match..." The interview team, a garishly dressed human and two ogres bearing the contraption made of a cauldron and a massive crystal ball and a rubber chicken with a pulley that made up the portable Cabalvision™ broadcasting set, slowly approached an elf clad in the red trousers of his team brooming the floor in front of the camp. "Excuse us, Mr. Borudyr?"

Alawen Borudyr looked up and froze. "Y-yes?"

"Excellent. Thank you very much for giving us a couple of words about today's match. Your touchdown in the middle of the second half was your first this season. How do you remember it?"

Alawen blinked and shuddered. "I... I just ran."

"If I'm not mistaken, you caught a magnificent pass thrown by your team's thrower, Shewynn Warunn, while standing right in the middle of the two trolls of the goblin team."

The broom slipped out of Alawen's fingers, and fell to the ground with a tiny sound. Then the elf took off, yelling hysterically.

"Big nasty trolls! The teeth, the teeth!"

The interviewer blinked, but his professionalism as well as his utter lack of empathy made for a quick continuation of the program. "Here we have Rahuyl Deravyd, budding star player of the Cricket Club in the Kicker position. Mr. Deravyd, things were not looking all that well early on the first half, but it's great to see you recovered!"

Rahuyl stared blankly. "Come again?"

"Early in the first half. The... incident... involving the goblin player Gassive Mash."

"Incident?" Rahuyl's eye twitched. "He had a chainsaw! He almost took off my head with a chainsaw!"

"Ah. Well, the exact details were hard to observe from the stands."

"He saw! The entire stadium saw!" Rahuyl pressed his hands against his temples. "The whirring! It will haunt my nightmares forever!"

"Surely you do not suggest there was foul play involved?"

"Foul play? It was attempted murder! And the umpires did nothing!"

The interviewer exchanged a confused glance with the ogres (ogres being rather excellent at offering up and returning confused glances). "What's an 'umpire'?"

Rahuyl, however, had already taken off into the distance, joining Alawen in his headless flight.

---​

[​IMG]

Traumatic the experience may have been for most of the elves on the pitch, they recovered from the initial shock rather well and managed to run away screaming with the ball in hand a couple of times.

The Cricketers won the toss and elected to receive, which of course made things already difficult for the Anti-Spoon Elective.

Sajeynten provided the first low point of the match by failing his pass to the Thrower, though fortunately the ball remained in a safe spot. Less fortunately was Garyfiel's positioning, as she instantly received a chainsaw to the face and forced to sit out the remainder of the match Badly Hurt. One turn later, Rahuyl almost joined the choir invisible, but Flint the Apothecary proved to be worth his weight in gold and rerolled Dead into Badly Hurt. Not an auspicious start to the match, and even the pass downfield almost failed to end up in Wilien Gilbereth's arms. She stalled for one more turn, then scored to make the goblins use up at least some of their bribes.

The goblin's drive began with the chainsaw smashing an elven ankle, though luckily that of the journeyman. But from then on, things just started generally going poorly for There Is No Spoon. Trolls started failing their Really Stupid rolls, the ball carrier was brought down over and over... All of that wouldn't have mattered if Goppy Hit, the Pogoer, had not picked the last turn with the ball in hand to fail his Dodge reroll, ending the drive.

The second half turned even more depressing, with Goppy Hit failing a Pick-up roll after a team reroll was already spent on a block. Wilien blitzed her way towards the ball and picked it up, was knocked down by the chainsaw one turn later, but not without the chainsaw eating another reroll that left Cutter Cutter Unt without reprieve to avoid the double skull turnover. Berian Larah jumped in to pick the ball up again, and was brought down by Goppy Hit in a rare flash of competence. The Goblin Bombardier then decided to have a go at joining the match by throwing a bomb at Vivyen, who managed to intercept it and scatter launch it towards Barse Iscuits for a turnover, with Rhee Kipontinn the unfortunate bystander.

Wilien got another shot at knocking the ball loose and succeeded, but once again, Goppy Hit got his grubby fingers on the ball and took off for the other side of the pitch, hoping to find his way to the endzone somehow. The elves didn't manage to immediately dislodge him from the ball, with hopeful blitzing candidates too far away, but they did mark him. That proved to be enough, as Goppy Hit once again managed to trip over his stick for a turnover. Shewynn was in his element as he swiftly recovered the ball and threw it to the free-standing Alawen, who swiftly converted.

With a number of goblins having suffered injuries at the hands of Wilien Gilbereth and their own clumsy feet as well as Secret Weapon players leaving the pitch, what had been a 10 to 8 advantage in numbers for the goblins turned into a measly 6 vs. 8 in the CCC's favor. To add insult to injury, a Blitz result was rolled. While the goblins did manage to get the ball into the hands of Barse Iscuits, he wasn't able to elude the Cricketeers. Several more injuries for the goblins later, the match finally ended with a pass downfield for Wilien Gilbereth's second touchdown, and the lopsided final score.

If there was one match in the league I had a chance to win, all things told, it was probably this one. There's no doubt that the Spoon-deniers received a thorough nuffling pretty much starting from midway through the first half, with Goppy Hit leading the throng in incompetence. Goblins have trouble winning when things go right. Nevertheless, I'll gladly take it. I could now lose the rest of the matches and not be too upset with my first season in the Big Crunch... But of course I'm planning to steal some more points off the competition.

Fortune smiled on me in the skills department, as two more players earned enough SPP for the skill-up. Alawen Borudyr's abject fear of the trolls encouraged him to practice his dodging skills, and Wilien Gilbereth went from 0 to 8 SPP and picked up Strip Ball.

I have 130k in the bank now. I'm leaning towards spending 100 of it on the third reroll. Another option would be hiring a Catcher, but as I'm sitting at effectively 10 players on the roster (with Duneld facing early retirement with a smashed collar bone) and am facing a bashy team, having a Loner doesn't sound like a generally bad thing, and the extra team reroll should perform almost as well as the skill reroll on the Catcher would. But he's definitely an item high up on my list. The true question is: What would his name be...?

3. TravelScrabble

TravelScrabble Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    Everblues names are great, I'll have to check out some more.

4. Silfir

Silfir Member

Cyanide Username:
    Silfir
    Country Flag:
    His team roster is just as much of a riot as matches involving goblins tend to be.

5. Borke

Borke Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Borke
    Country Flag:
    Brilliant names from Everblue, brilliant report, and brilliant Spoon-bending :p

6. Silfuin

Silfuin Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Silfuin
    Country Flag:
    I did miss the reference to matrix, but I agree that the names are brilliant.

7. Silfir

Silfir Member

Cyanide Username:
    Silfir
    Country Flag:
    [​IMG]

The Cedarwood Cricket Club faced the fearsome Souleaterz, and came away with a hard-fought win. Kicking in the first half, their wizard started off randomly fireballing the Undead endzone (following a misclick), and the Undead were able to cage more or less without incident until they were in view of the touchdown line, and their ball carrier made a run for it for the lead. The Wardancers proved themselves utterly incapable of landing even one leap past the anti-elf defensive setup the right side up, preventing even the chance of a score before the half.

So the Cricketers ended up scoring very early in the second, hoping to somehow nudge the ball off the Souleaterz during defense. That gamble paid off; Wilien Gilbereth finally succeeded a leap into the cage while the Guard players were still caught at the halfway line, and Rahuyl recovered the ball and ran off towards a relatively quick lead, leaving three turns for the Undead to potentially score the equalizer.

Instead they decided to pummel some elves around, and on the very last turn (after a last-ditch attempt at a 3-1 touchdown failed) they succeeded at inflicting a niggle on Garyfiel the Sober, the unskilled Wardancer, by way of a gang foul.

A reminder of the harsh reality of the Big Crunch though is likely a little price to pay for victory.

8. Silfir

Silfir Member

Cyanide Username:
    Silfir
    Country Flag:
    Snowstorms swept across the plains of Ostland. A singular robed figure trudged through the white mass, their footsteps disappeiring almost as soon as they had been made.

Somewhere in the grayish-white haze, there stood the farmhouse that served as headquarters for the Cedarwood Cricket Club. It was impossible to hold practice in a storm as fierce as this one. Which was just as well, as none of the elves were in the mood for it anyway.

Sajeynten and Vivyen sat at the table in the sitting room. Both of them stared sullenly at a piece of paper lying in front of them, attempting to outdo each other in the depth of their sullenness. The other players had gathered in the other rooms, in fact, mainly because even they could not stand the enormous sullenness of their de-facto captains.

The door jumped open. The cold air rushing in pushed back against what meager warmth the fireplace had managed to spread through the room, and snowflakes even managed to reach the table in the center of the room. As Viv and Saj turned around in surprise, the door closed again, and they watched the robed figure walk towards them.

"I greet you, honored fellow elves. Would you care to grant a traveler hospitality in your halls?"

The sullen elves looked at each other, waiting for either of them to step up to the unwanted task of social interaction. It was Viv who finally spoke. "Of course, honored stranger." He pointed towards an empty chair between the two. "Please rest your feet. Your journey must have been long and arduous."

"It was, and it was not," said the stranger, without elaborating on the meaning of his words as he sat down. His eyes seemed to catch the piece of paper from under the robes. "What is this?"

"We are the Cedarwood Cricket Club, and this the league table of the Ostland division of the Big Crunch," explained Viv. "Cricket is a sport played with two bats, a small round ball and-"

"Two long sticks and three short pieces of wood known as the stumps, which form that majestic construction known as the wicket," said the stranger.

Viv and Saj had their sullenness now fully replaced with amazement.

"I have been looking for you, in fact," added the stranger. "Word of the Cedarwood Cricket Club has spread all over the land. How goes the season?"

Saj snorted in muted aggravation. Viv sighed. "We have lost our last two matches. Saj is nursing a severe neck injury, and Garyfiel's knee will never be quite the same as it was before."

"It is thanks to Flint that we did not lose more," grumbled Saj.

"Our coach disappeared one day; the same day we discovered the larder was empty." Viv sighed again. "Turns out when he told us that he practically slept in the stadium during the season, he meant it literally."

"Though even being a vagrant, he still knew more about that damned sport than any one of us," grumbled Saj. "Also, he never hid under the bed if we lost, and he never set anything on fire. We're told that, for whatever reason, those are considered strong points in a coach."

"Things have just never been the sun since Dun left," said Viv.

Saj could only nod.

The stranger studied the paper containing the league standings again. "It says here these last two matches were only lost by one to two points. So it was close."

"It would seem that way, doesn't it?" said Viv and sighed once more. "For a while, we dreamt of great things. We were even taken notice of, we had fans all over Ostland. Now... Our hearts are just not in it any more."

"I see."

Viv and Saj exchanged glances again. They turned to the robed figure, sheepish. "We would like to express our apologies. It is not right for hosts to burden their guests with their sorrows."

The robed figure seemed to ignore them entirely. "It seems, then, I have come just in time," they said, and finally pulled the hood of their robe over their head.

Chairs fell to the ground as Viv and Saj jumped onto their feet. "Duneld!"

---​

"As you know, I went back to the forests to try and find healing for my injury."

Viv and Saj nodded gravely, barely suppressing their joy at the reunion.

"One of the wise women and healers I sought out after another found themselves unable to restore me, and so I turned to training. Knowing that I would never be as strong as I used to be, I decided to train my speed. And then they spoke to me."

"Who?"

"Who can say? It might have been the wind within the trees, spurring me on; it might have been the spirits of the animals, asking me to study and adopt their swift gaits... In the end, they all told me the same thing. To run like I had never done before. So here I am."

Viv and Saj looked at each other, and back at Dun. "Doing what?"

"What do you mean, doing what?"

"If you're going to run, I'm pretty sure the smart way would be away from here, not to here," mumbled Saj.

A fist smashed on the table. "That's enough. Get the team in here."

Viv and Saj stared into Dun's hardened face. What they found in it, though, was not anger. Dun was smiling.

"We are not done yet."

---​

Duneld is back! He might be ST2, but as my first Catcher he's better than ever. A team made of historically great cricketers is just not quite complete without him. And I believe the personal history of his almost-namesake included a comeback following severe medical problems as well, so why not?

I'm not sure if I'm quite made for the Big Crunch. Playing one game a week doesn't leave a great deal of mental downtime, and updating the blog on top of that and coming up with stuff for it is harder still. But dammit, I will try my best for these last two matches.

Hence the addition of a Catcher to the roster. The assumption being that my elven opponents are just going to run around a treeman as they please, even if I hired one, and because I have run into trouble making passing plays happen reliably, ruining my shot at a defensive TD in the Khorne match, for instance... There are only so many rerolls. Plus it should make 1TTDs slightly easier to manufacture. Here's hoping!

Up next are W.O.O.D., so I will receive mountains of inducements. 560k I think, though they might drop some support staff. Subtract a Wizard and it's 410k. What else? Either Eldril or Jordell, naturally, but who? Eldril would leave 210k, probably best spent on an apo and a reroll; Jordell leaves me with 150k, best spent on either reroll or apo and a babe. In theory at least, my Wardancers do pretty much the same stuff Jordell does, while Hypnotic Gaze is a unique advantage, so I'd pick Eldril, but am probably missing something. Should I drop the Wizard and just get both? Doesn't feel right somehow; wizards are great. Decisions, decisions...

Last edited: Jan 21, 2015
  9. TravelScrabble

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    Yay for more CCC fluff. As for inducements, Eldril gives you something unique but I', not sure I'd bother with an extra apo, its rarely useful, against woodies you might get more mileage out of a bribe or just 2 babes which can be great to have, or you could get a loner catcher to give yourself even more speed.

10. cjblackburn

cjblackburn Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    cjblackburn
    Country Flag:
    As regards downtime in the BC. The 3 week break can really recharge the Blood Bowl batteries. Due to various stuff I nearly quit at the end of season 1 and was not looking forward to season 2. However after a couple of weeks downtime I started writing fluff again and got right back into it when season 2 finally started and have not looked back since.

11. Silfir

Silfir Member

Cyanide Username:
    Silfir
    Country Flag:
    Well, it turns out Duneld Bradmyn is not in the business of making empty promises.

Silfuin fired some support staff, which made deciding on inducements much easier in the end. A wizard was hired as well as Eldril Sidewinder, a reroll and a babe.

The White Owls of Darkmyst received, and decided to take it slow for the start. Their Star Thrower and leader, equipped with the Blodge/Sure Hands trifecta, recovered the ball and camped out in the W.O.O.D. half. The CCC watched warily for potential receivers to complete the offense, but when none came, they took that as their signal to move in.

They boxed in the Darkmyst screen fairly quickly, and blitzed their way in to harrass the ballcarrier with relatively little trouble. Suddenly one advantage of the CCC's lack of seniority compared to the veterans of W.O.O.D. became apparent - Linemen are stronger than Catchers, and so the CCC ended up outmuscling their opponents in the scuffle. When W.O.O.D. were sufficiently boxed in, an opportune moment for the guild wizard showed itself, taking out one of the Wardancers and leaving a gap for Viv to rush the ballcarrier with a 1d block supported by Wrestle, which turned out to be a pow. Rahuyl recovered the ball, but was brought back down in turn, but a short while later, the Darkmyst fouler was sent off trying in vain to get through the armor of the prone Garyfiel the Sober, and one turn after that the Block/Guard Catcher fell injured from a Block, now leaving Elthanion exposed once more, this time to a 2d block. Vivyen executed it expertly, grabbed the ball and found himself with just enough leftover movement to convert it himself for the 1-0 lead.

W.O.O.D. began the match with twelve players. They were now down to nine. But elves can still perform fine with nine, so they had every chance to come back into the match. Unfortunately, however, the fans had grown unruly, and threw rocks at the field. And as Nuffle would have it, one of them went straight for the temple of Elthanion, knocking him out cold beyond recovery. With now close to 600 TV off the field, only seven elves and one tree remaining, and their Thrower and Leader incapacitated, W.O.O.D. was already able to see the writing on the wall.

But for now, things still worked out. They rushed Valkard, one of the remaining Catchers, down into the Cricket Club backfield, and while he was surrounded, including by the freshly substituted in Duneld, the Cricketers forgot to task one of their players to do the actual blitzing, and the White Owls scored the equalizer. 1-1.

The half was almost over - but as it was turn 7, the Cricket Club fancied their chances to end it in the lead anyway. Duneld Bradmyn and several other Cricketers as well as Eldril rushed into the Darkmyst half, hopeful to receive the pass for the score. W.O.O.D. struggled to cover them all. Just before the final bell, the Cricketers rushed to free up Duneld; Eldril failed to hypnotize his marker, but Garyfiel successfully blitzed him away, and several of the other players stood inbetween Duneld and Valkard, the Darkmyst Pass Blocker. The pass came, Valkard tried to stop it, but tripped over Wilien Gilbereth's smartly outstretched ankle, knocking himself out in the process, and leaving Duneld free to successfully catch the ball and run downfield for the 2-1 lead, ending the half.

And then, things turned elfy.

The Cricketers received. Still only facing six elves (and a depressed tree), they had no trouble rushing into the wood elven half to attempt score. On the other hand, they themselves couldn't do a whole lot to stop W.O.O.D. from doing the same in return. So, a quick play-by-play to save time.

Offense CCC: W.O.O.D. covers Duneld as well as the left half of the field, so Rhee Kipontinn blocks free Giac Calys, who had run up on the right, and Shewynn runs up diagonally and spends a GFI to throw a short pass. The Catch had to be rerolled, but Giac successfully scores. 3-1.

Offense W.O.O.D.: A gap is blitzed into the defensive lineup and Meliwen sneaks past to be the solitary receiver. Vivyen fatally overestimates his sprinting speed and manages to stumble over his feet trying to wrestle Meliwen to the ground, and one handoff and a succesful pass by the Wardancer Celebrian later, Meliwen can run in to score. 3-2.

Offense CCC: Again the Cricketers rush into the opposing half, placing Duneld on one side and Eldril on the other to spread their receiving threats, as well as plenty of supporting players. Viv is once again tasked with bringing down a crucial player, this time Duneld's side-stepping marker, and this time he does his job with aplomb, allowing Duneld to run in his second touchdown of the match. 4-2. The commotion of the crowd finally managed to wake Valkard from his slumber.

Offense W.O.O.D.: This time, Darkmyst rushes several players past the defensive line of the CCC, one of them a screened off Catcher. The ball had been kicked in deep, so CCC tries to form a defense using Eldril and Duneld as interception threats, but do end up leaving a gap for the White Owl Lineman moonlighting as a Thrower to sneak past, though not quite outside of Eldril's Pass Block range. While trying to decide whether to simply mark the passer or to risk difficult Dodges to make it into position to intercept, Eldril manages to miss his chance entirely, and while Viv was in position to intercept as well, he failed his roll, and the pass landed safely in the hands of Celebrian the Wardancer, who passed one last go for it. 4-3. W.O.O.D. had also managed to inflict some pain on the CCC by knocking out their kicker, now leaving them with only 10 players; though as they still only had seven elves to work with (and an even more depressed tree), that made little difference.

Offense CCC: Sneaking a look at the clock, the Cricket Club did position themselves with a mind towards safety, but also placed plenty of scoring threats once more. When W.O.O.D. didn't send down a player to enter the CCC half to threaten even the off-chance of a last-ditch equalizer, however, they felt safe to go for yet another touchdown. Once again, Eldril failed his Hypnotic Gaze, once again Viv succeeded at a key Blitz, taking down the Diving Tackle Catcher marking Duneld, and once again Shewynn successfully passed to the captain of the Cedarwood Cricket Club, who scored for the third time in his comeback match. 5-3.

This was to be the final result, as W.O.O.D.s attempt at a one-turner was anticlimactically foiled by the pickup eating a team reroll and the very first block coming up double skulls.

[​IMG]

(That's weird. The image link doesn't seem to work...)

An elven spectacle for the ages, possibly - I don't know if the chroniclers keep track of the "total touchdowns in a single match" record, but a 5-3 should be somewhere up there in the annals. It could have gone even crazier, had W.O.O.D. not decided to play what was essentially a caging game in the first half. Because they did not position any Catchers downfield that I would have had to worry about, I felt free to assault the defensive position any way I could. Eldril went KO in the first turn, but that turned out not to matter much since the action took place far away from the tree, and then of course W.O.O.D. started suffering key casualties and couldn't withstand the assault forever. The moment Throw a Rock was rolled on the kickoff table and W.O.O.D. star Thrower was taken out, the match was essentially over.

If the match had been an elf vs. elf shootout right from the beginning, I'm not sure what the result would have turned out to be. I couldn't really stop him from scoring once he had his mind set on it - but with a full contingent of players, perhaps W.O.O.D. would have had a much better shot at stopping me. In the end, the truth seems deceptively simple: Wood elves suck at caging, but are great at scoring and quite good at dislodging balls from cages, especially sucky ones - so the worst thing for either team to do in a wood elf mirror match seems to be to focus solely on caging - and if you cage as wood elves, you have to do it near the tree, which Silfuin did not manage to do.

Nuffle really rubbed it in with that thrown rock on Elthanion, though. It might not have been the strictly decisive moment, but it certainly was a symbolic one.

In the end, triple scorer Duneld Bradmyn was elected MVP, jumpstarting him to 14 SPP. Several more players earned their promotion in this match, including Wilien Gilbereth the Graceful, Shewynn Warunn and Giac Calys. Winnings of 50k were earned as well...

Ladies and gentlemen: the Cedarwood Cricket Club is back in business.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
  12. Silfir

Silfir Member

Cyanide Username:
    Silfir
    Country Flag:
    Looks like the match is validated now. And lo and behold, the CCC finally roll some doubles. And with that comes decision time.

1: One of the doubles was rolled by the triumphant Duneld Bradmyn. Looks very much like Guard to me. One more TD should get him Block so he can maybe stay alive to provide it.

2: Shewyn rolls a single. And here there seem to be tons of viable alternatives.

Safe Throw so you can risk interceptions more? So far it's seemed like his movement makes it easier to get into position to avoid them entirely, and it's not like I'm playing pro elves, who frequently throw to their marked Catchers who just snatch the thing anyway like the op mohawk-wearing spandex-clad freaks they are. Turnover prevention from fumbles is a neat tool, too.

We could also get into the almost philosophical Catch/Sure Hands debate. It seems to be a question of whether you prioritize the chances of winning immediately upcoming matches vs. long-term development of your assorted lineelves. In theory at least getting your lineelves more skilled may be more likely to help you win long-term than having Sure Hands on a long pass specialist, so if you have your eyes set on the big picture, Catch seems the way to go. But I'd love to hear input from experienced coaches there. (Actually, in general. People seem mostly content to let the CCC do its thing. Then again, I haven't really asked that often before.)

How necessary is a long passer anyway? It doesn't feel like I should detour into Leader after buying that third reroll - but will additional passing skills beyond Accurate heighten Shewynn's influence on team performance noticeably? I guess Safe Throw would, by lessening the latent turnover risks.

Leader is another option, if I decide long passing is not much of a priority, but I do have three rerolls, and while I enjoy having a fourth by inducement, I don't really feel that constrained by having only three, and that's only going to improve once I add more Catchers and blocking skills.

Currently I'd say Safe Throw.

3: Wilien Gilbereth the Graceful picks up level 3, and this looks very much like I'll add Tackle on top of Strip Ball. It'll improve everything she's going to get called on to do now or in the future.

4: Finally, we have Giac Calys, the last unskilled Lineman, who rolled 6+6. I'll ask: Is there anything else to say but "Yes please"?

It's probably worth thinking about long-term development, too, if the Cricket Club is going to keep hanging in there for one more season after all. Next item on the list seems to be a Treeman, if only so I don't have to throw too many of my linemen into the fray. Sajeynten Duylkar is at -AGI, but there are four others sitting at just one skill who'd love to live to see the second. I have the 120k in the bank right now, but buying a Treeman to bring in against a team of lower TV elves seems like a downright terrible idea. So on second thought, I can delay thinking about the long term until I see what I get matched up with next season. If it's full of elves again, maybe it's best to stick it out.

13. notafunhater

notafunhater Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    notafunhater
    Country Flag:
    Looks like our MD9 match may be pretty interesting given your skillups. My opinions:
    1. Take the guard, I did the same on a rookie catcher after MD7. Though it may be a couple games before I get him block to go with it.
    2. I'm on the fence about Safe Throw for Throwers. It's useful, for sure. But it shouldn't give you a false sense of security. You can still fail to cancel an interception (it's an agility roll). I would save that for later and probably take dodge, which can help him get out of trouble as well as allowing him a bit more movement as well. Sure Hands/Catch are both useful as well but I've never missed having Sure Hands on a thrower. You can save the SH/Catch/Safe Throw debate for 31spp if you do that. You could also start developing him as a defensive thrower with blodge/SH if you wanted to, then hire another for offense.
    3. Tackle or Side Step. Both good choices.
    4. Definitely take the +str. Nuffle will punish you if you don't. Then you hope he picks up block before he gets maimed :) I did the same on a rookie lino a game ago.
    5. I've read statistics that indicate having a Tree on the team saves your elves about a casualty a game on average due to drawing more fire and being muscly. So there's that. I found that it really did help on a woodie team I have in another league. But I can see the argument for waiting until after our game to pick him up since he's not going to help you much against pros.

14. Silfir

Silfir Member

Cyanide Username:
    Silfir
    Country Flag:
    Since I'll still avoid them wherever possible, the question might be how often I'm going to be forced to risk an interception, and I don't really have the experience to judge that.

Maybe an interesting question to ask is which skill choice will help me to learn to become better at wood elves. Taking Catch might encourage me to think more about what I'm doing with my positioning on offense so I can farm those SPP in relative safety. I absolutely have to work on my offense, considering I don't know how to stall for crap.

I'd like to say Shewynn is planned to be my offensive Thrower, so that's how he'll get built, right now getting a second Thrower is a bit down the list and de-facto he's going to get fielded on defense more often than I'd probably like. So maybe Dodge after all.

Well, there's no rush.

15. Borke

Borke Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Borke
    Country Flag:
    I think that at least one of +AG, Accurate or Strong Arm is advisable on an offensive Thrower. It ties in with the "stalling on offense" question a bit: If you get under pressure, you might be able to find a position that's safe for your Thrower, but then on the next turn he needs to make a Short Pass instead of a Quick Pass for you to be able to move the ball far enough to make the final hand-off + score. Any agility enhancing skill will make that pass a 2+ instead of 3+ then. Dodge falls into the same category, as it means that you can risk being marked more often when you get under pressure (just as long as you can't be blitzed), and it also increases his usefulness on defense.

16. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Tree is definitely useful against pro.

Chances are it will become a shootout. That means a lot of setting up on the Los. And with AV7 that can mean losing players.
    Putting a tree in the middle when kicking might make the pro less inclined to take los blocks on your team, and might net your tree a couple of easy SPP when receiving. (And you want grab on that Wicket asap)

17. TravelScrabble

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    I think woodies should be built around a running offence but when down players that's very difficult so the the ability to throw a short pass on a 2+ and even a long on 3+ is very desirable. I'd definitely take accurate over safe throw.

Personally I'd take catch before sure hands but I'd like both.

There are situations when I would skip str on a lino, mainly if my linos had been rolling a lot of doubles for guard. You really do want a good core of linos with basic skills and str slows yo in getting therre, but having 1 str 4 piece is pretty valuable too so I would take it but think twice about future doubles and stats on linos.

18. Silfir

Silfir Member

Cyanide Username:
    Silfir
    Country Flag:
    I should probably have posted a team roster for clarity - Shewyn already has Accurate. And it's certainly been paying dividends; I've been throwing loads of short passes. It's his one skill so far. I take it that's all the long passing skills he'll ever need, then?

I don't really know what playing a running game with wood elves looks like. I've played Amazons, but I'm not exactly brilliant with them. I guess once your linemen have their basic defensive skills, they stay out of contact with the bash side, draw them apart, then run around them and score, ideally without having to throw a pass at all? Seems like Dodge would be a good fit for that.

I should be watching replays for this stuff.

19. TravelScrabble

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    Yeah that's right, you jink side to side and use your speed to pull them apart until you can eventually get a bigish group of your players through their lines 5 is a good amount, usually screening off one side of the pitch where your bc is. Its a really good way to score slowly.

I don't think you need more than accurate for passing, unless you roll a double for strong arm, which can be nice, dodge is a good choice for now, catch would be fine too if you prefer the passing game like Jounisii.

20. Silfuin

Silfuin Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Silfuin
    Country Flag:
    Silfuir, one thing.
    I may be the least effective woodies coach in BC, but I noticed a little flaw in your first defense.
    You committed all the players in assaulting my loose cage, which gave me the possibility (had you not dropped my ball with that 1d block) to blitz a gap free and jump on the other side of your line with lots of men, for an easy stall.
    I was planning exactly that when the ball dropped down and we know what ensued.
    Just think about that, rushing too much against very mobile players exposes you to an easy stall.
    Just 2 cents from a loser.