1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wood Elf [BC] Cedarwood Cricket Club

Discussion in 'Team Blogs' started by Silfir, Nov 19, 2014.

1. jounisii

jounisii Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    jounisii
    Country Flag:
    What's this wussie running thing I've heard a lot about lately?

Matter of philosophy I guess. At times running game with wussies is risky as well if you start to lose your dudes. Penetrating the main line of defense could get tricky. I prefer to do the penetration with some sort of shortish throw with thrower and the target somewhat screened if those snake eys hit. After penetrating that main line of D I start to run around behind the lines to screen the stall.

So, here's my recommendations;

1. Definately guard for mobile assist piece.

2. Catch. Suckers started with 9 linos and after 1 match Whale Harpoonist took it. That helped to farm my linos and at some point I think Suckers had 5 or 6 blodge/wrodge linos. I fyou don't wanna do that Dodge is a good choice for mobility. Safe throw is a later skill. Which is actually a skill you wanna avoid using. Sometimes it's good to have around, especially when your numbers are getting down. SH is defensive thrower skill in my mind.

3. Tackle for sure. I'd guess you don't have too many yet.

4. ST. Stick him in the 2nd line of D and try to feed him TDs (or vanity passes :)) to get that block.

I'd say take the tree as well.

Some of my replays may explain better than my words what I'm talking about with that tactics thing. My last match against Borke for example, 1st half.

2. Silfir

Silfir Member

Cyanide Username:
    Silfir
    Country Flag:
    "You know, I was thinking," said Viv to Duneld, as the roaring of the crowd slowly subsided following the Cricket Club's unlikely equalizer. "Maybe we should consider getting out of this Blood Bowl gig while we're all still mostly in one piece."

"What are you talking about?" asked Dun. "We just scored that equalizer! We're back into this game!"

"Mostly because that one lineman tried to catch that touchdown ball with the hand on his back while the other covered his eyes. They were mocking us, Dun."

"Well, pride cometh before the fall!"

"They were mocking us because we were terrible, and everyone knew it. The only reason the audience isn't jeering at us anymore is because they're too busy laughing their asses off."

"I just finished a journey of self-discovery and relentless training to be able to make a comeback and everything!" Dun shook his head. "You'll see, Viv. This is just the beginning. We're going to improve, bit and by bit, and one day... One day, we will stand triumphant at the top. It might not be cricket, but it is still a sport, true-blooded as can be."

"I guess."

"Besides," Dun pointed toward the line of scrimmage, where two of the Club's linemen huddled next to what appeared to be a massive tree planted right in the middle of the pitch, "Cedar has been doing so well all game. For once, we can finally hit back, instead of being the punching bags forever. It'll only get better from here on out. You worry too much, Viv. Watch out, Rahuyl is kicking."

The whistle blew, and Rahuyl punted the ball into the air. Suddenly, there was the sound of a massive object cutting through the air, followed by cracking and splintering, and Dun and Viv took their eyes away from the ball to look at its origin. Where Cedar Gilkrist, the debutant Treeman, had stood, there was now a humongous rock, six foot in diameter, surrounded by kindling and toothpicks.

"Yeah, dwarf this," said Duneld.

---​

It's been fun, everyone, but I have to be honest with myself. Even today, again I realized that my heart just isn't in it enough to keep up full concentration while playing the game every week.

Nota deserved something better than my utterly inadequate flailing all around through most of the match. He carefully considered every move, he used positioning to its utmost, and I just couldn't match it. Where he found safety for his ballcarrier and covered all areas of the pitch almost effortlessly, I got carried away with meaningless blocks and had nothing left to protect the ball with.

Even when fortunes suddenly turned, I firmly believe Nuffle had simply become so offended at nota's attempt to farm SPP via a pass into the endzone that he chose me as his instrument to teach him a lesson. That's the only way I can explain that last touchdown, with the double-skulled pickup on nota's part and the sheer multitude of rolls I still had to make (in no small part, I think, due to more poor positioning; Shewynn should have gotten a much better screen than he did).

(For completion: 3+ dodge with reroll, 3+ unskilled pickup, allow a 5+ Catch interception roll, then a 3+ pass with reroll, a 3+ unskilled catch, a 2+ dodge with reroll and a GFI. I did have a team reroll, which was used on the GFI of all things. And that was my best option, even after I basically had the ball served to me on a platter one turn before.)

One thing I might clarify - I posted my decision to have the Cricket Club bow out before I played yesterday's match; I just used Cedar Gilkrist's death as the chief motivator within the narrative. It's really down to Blood Bowl being fun, but weekly scheduling being not fun, and my suspicion that the latter is eventually going to supercede the former, and I don't want to bail out of the BC mid-season because of that. You all deserve better, you magnificent fellow coaches.

I will, of course, keep the Cricket Club safely in storage, just in case they have to turn to the Big Crunch again to pay the bills...

Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
  3. St Cloud

St Cloud Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    St. Cloud
    Country Flag:
    Was good to have you around Silfir. The Cats really hope you come back. ;)

4. Silfuin

Silfuin Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Silfuin
    Country Flag:
    Noooo, I wanted a rematch!!!!
    Already the Foebreakers left, which were probably the ony team which would have granted me a match without handing out inducements, now my cousins, which I would have liked to play against once more ... will be anyone left in Ostland at all?

Hey Silfir, farewell, I wish you the best of luck, and hope to see you back again sometimes.
    I will miss your blog ...

5. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    It was nice having you around, and you are welcome back anytime. :)

6. notafunhater

notafunhater Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    notafunhater
    Country Flag:
    I'll be in Ostland! And finally having all four catchers, I'm hoping my TV will take off next season. It could be a shootout for the ages.

7. Silfuin

Silfuin Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Silfuin
    Country Flag:
    Nah, you'll have still jordell and Eldril with wiz on top. It will be a single sided game ...

8. notafunhater

notafunhater Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    notafunhater
    Country Flag:
    That's 610 in inducements, I'm sitting on 1430 TV right now after adding my 4th catcher.

Although I think I'm getting promoted anyway. With 3 sitting out that puts me at #4 on the table. Guess my team dies next season in Reikland :/