1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

High Elf BC - Immortal Edge

Discussion in 'Team Blogs' started by Barristan, Aug 26, 2014.

1. Barristan

Barristan Member

Country Flag:
    Right, so after three BB-less months due to RL stuff taking priority, restart is looming. My Orcs are back in business in T2 of the OCC (and could be out of business at the end of the season as there is a bashfest coming their way) and I've decided to join the BC as this seems like a very nice place to play.

I pondered different races for a long time, notably Vamps and Chaos, but in the end I just could not resist playing Elves again since I have a bash team in progress, and went for High Elves as Darkies seemed more represented. Pros were tempting but I just can't stomach the way they look, Woodies are just too expensive for my taste and my luck with injuries (don't like the look of them either, they barely change as they gain level and this is a disappointment for me).

I played Helves in CTALE and then in CCXIII with good results, reaching Top 8 before Akirilus shoved me out of the way and my internet connection buried me for good measure. Hopefully the new lot will also be successful - it is my understanding that the T3 will be mostly made of rookie teams, which should help to get started. I went for the classic 2 Blitzers/1 Thrower/8 Linos + 3 RRs line-up; I've always used this one and I like it as it means you can lose a few Linos since you have a couple spare (you want 5 or 6 with the rest of the positionals), plus you can start getting SPPs on the Blitzers/Linos before the Catchers hog most of the TDs, and finally AV8 accross the board helps against early injuries.

So, enter Immortal Edge. Yes, I am fairly aware that a team with 'Immortal' in its name will suffer a thousand cas/deaths as Nuffle's punishment for being presomptuous. But I liked the sound of it... The players will be named after legendary blades of the mythology and fantasy worlds. There's quite a lot of choice there, so my selection is purely down to personal preference:

- Blitzers are Grayswandir and Werewindle, the twin magical swords from Zelazny's Princes in Amber, owned by Corwin and Brand respectively
    - Thrower #1 is Caudimordax from Tolkien's tales (love that name)
    - Linos are Hrunting and Naegling (Beowulf's swords), Honjo Masamune (most mythical Japanese blade), Kusanagi (another legendary Japanese sword), Excalibur (doh!), Anglachel, Orcrist and Glamdring (all from Tokien's Middle Earth).

If I ever get 4 Catchers at once (that would be a first for me), they will be Stormbringer and Mournblade for the first pair (Elric by Moorcock), Moralltach (Great Fury) and Beagalltach (Little Fury) for the second pair (swords of the Irish mythology belonging to Aengus). Thrower #2 is undecided, could be Charon's Claw from Forgotten Realms or Vorpal Sword from Lewis Carroll's universe.

[​IMG]

Don't expect fluff as I don't feel I have the time or the talent to compete with what is on offer here (I would probably end up copying Remthar as I love his stuff). But I'll try for the best match reports I can write.

Cj has promised us the divisions for today, to be continued once they're up.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
  2. Street

Street Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Street
    Country Flag:
    Looking forward to see your High elves in action, I remember your CCXIII High elves as we were hopeful that our 2 High elf teams could meet in the final. Sadly your elmination in the final 8 made my team lose motivation and lost in the final 4 (And the big mean Lizards didn't help much either)

Love the theme as well, hopefully my new Khorne team Twisted Metal will meet them in BC either sooner or later when we know which divisions we are in.

Surprised none of the names are the cheesy sword names given in Game of Thrones, or are they being saved for replacements after many deaths?

3. Barristan

Barristan Member

Country Flag:
    Thanks Street, it would be nice to finally play you - sorry I lowered your motivation :p

Good point about the GoT swords, just didn't think of them - maybe they are not mythical enough yet? I'll add them to my list of I run out of names - glad to see you share my optimism in the matter :)

4. Barmution

Barmution Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Barmution
    Country Flag:
    Great theme, Barry! A bit miffed about the lack of Narsil/Anduril, given your love of Tolkien though. Just an oversight?

5. Borke

Borke Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Borke
    Country Flag:
    Great to see another team blog, I like your writing style, so even without fluff I am looking forward to the content, Barristan :)

However:

You know what else is asking for Nuffle's punishment? Complaining about the look of different teams and then going for High Elves ... :p

6. Barristan

Barristan Member

Country Flag:
    Thanks Barmy :D

Narsil/Anduril is on my list, but I wasn't sure which of the two to go with (or take both and make a schizophrenic Lino), and besides I prefer the ring (pun intended) of the others. Don't worry I'm sure someone will take the name soon enough. How did you work out I was a Tolkien lover, just my choices or did I forget a past chat?

Thank you Borke, much appreciated :)

Looks are very subjective, I prefer the shiny and polished armours with billowing capes, even with the OOT helmets, to the 70's style clothes/hide/leather/punkish hairdos/horny hairbands for hen nights. Not sure Nuffle cares very much either way, the smear on the pitch will be the same colour to him.

7. Remthar

Remthar Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Welcome noble cousins! The Big Crunch can always use more proper elves! Please do come around the Heroes mansion for high tea at some point.

Love the sword theme, good luck!

And Borke, you're just jealous of our fabulous capes.

8. Barristan

Barristan Member

Country Flag:
    Butbutbut... this is a tremendous honor! We shall bring the high cupcakes then, I insist. Gratitude for the warm welcome. The Immortal Edge is very green and full of noble ideas about Blood Bowl, but despite this and your reputation for somewhat...unusual tactics... they are very much looking up to your team and their success. I'm sure the Watch will tell us of your whereabouts on the day. Thanks again, gracious cousin!

9. Borke

Borke Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Borke
    Country Flag:
    Don't get me started on those silly capes!

Come to think of it, I'll just hand out stakes next time to any of my teams that happens to be playing High Elves. Not for impaling the players, no, against High Elves it should suffice to stick their capes to the ground instead - they won't be able to move without them and look all the more silly for it! :D

10. Barristan

Barristan Member

Country Flag:
    We don't give capes to rookies though, they only get one once they are nimble enough to dodge that kind of disloyal attempts. Yes the Blitzers start with one, but you'll notice it stops at the backside, try pinning that down. What do you take us for, stupid Flings? :p

11. notafunhater

notafunhater Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    notafunhater
    Country Flag:
    Welcome to the Big Crunch HE trio Barristan! I just started my team last season, I'll be in Nordland this time around. You can find my blog around here somewhere as well. I had pretty good luck with winnings rolls this season and ended up with a roster of 13 and all my rerolls, missing only a second thrower. Though I do have some beat up linemen.

Looking forward to see your team's progress.

12. Barristan

Barristan Member

Country Flag:
    Thanks Nota, I'll look out for your blog. :)

Boy oh boy, I haven't scouted the opposition in Ostland properly but my eye has been caught by a 1650 TV Orc team filled with Guard/MB and a PO on top (and Tackle but my line-up is Dodge-less, so who cares). Fun times ahead, seems my backup names will come in handy soon enough. ;)

A few illustrious names in there as well, against some of whom I've never played (Juriel, Alta). More detailed look at the opposition to come when my scouts come back.

13. Tyriok

Tyriok Member

Country Flag:
    Randolf and the Buccaneers look forward to our match Barristan! Good luck with your games :D

14. Barmution

Cyanide Username:
    Barmution
    Country Flag:
    Well, anbody who's a Zelazny-fan and can name a sword from the Silmarillion (Anglachel) just like that has got to be close to my own level of Tolkien-fanboyism. Needless to say I haven't been enjoying the Hobbit movies too much :p

15. Barristan

Barristan Member

Country Flag:
    Thanks Tyriok, should be fun.

The first Hobbit movie was watchable if disappointing for scenario choices as usual, the second one is a-bys-mal. Let's not get me started on the LotR movies or the thread will derail rather quickly... might even have to be moderated :p

16. Barmution

Cyanide Username:
    Barmution
    Country Flag:
    Hehe, good to hear that I'm not alone in my hate for those crapfests. Good luck with the team, I know HiE can be tricky in the beginning.

17. TravelScrabble

TravelScrabble Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    I'm enough of a Tolkien fan to have hated FotR and Two Towers, but by the time RotK rolled round I had decided that the only sane response was to switch off my brain and enjoy the damn things since the who world had decided that they would be the Star Wars trilogy of my generation. You know what, it worked.

18. St Cloud

St Cloud Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    St. Cloud
    Country Flag:
    +1 to that

Best way was enjoying them for what they are and not being frustrated (and rightly so!) for what they should of / could of been.

19. Silfuin

Silfuin Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Silfuin
    Country Flag:
    You know what, I enjoyed the trylogy of LotR, probably because I read the book sooo many years ago that I didn├Čt really remember much if not the general plot and teh heroes.
    Conversely, I absolutely didn't like the hobbit.
    It didn't need two or three movies in my opinion as it is a very quick and short book, but then again I may heed the call of TS and just take it for what it is, maybe I can enjoy it that way ...

On another aspect, WOOD welcomes the Immortal Edge, although all that armour will not allow you to truly play like an elf, you should discard it ...

20. Barristan

Barristan Member

Country Flag:
    I've tried, believe me. Watching them, to me, is like going through your house after a major flood to find out what little has survived. Thoroughly depressing with a glimmer of relief here and there, but at the end of the day the whole thing is still ruined.

Also, I really struggle to see how people who have not read the books can find them great. Entertaining yes, but very cheesy and with atrociously bad acting for some characters. No offense to anyone, this is (clearly) one of my pet hates ;)

Thanks for all the welcoming messages, hope to meet yous soon on the pitch!