1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Orc [BC] ORCIAD: The Eporc Saga

Discussion in 'Team Blogs' started by Landwaker, Sep 11, 2013.

1. Borke

Borke Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Borke
    Country Flag:
    Thanks for the heads up, Landwaker. The Wight rolled a normal :)

2. skullashtray

skullashtray Active Member

Country Flag:
    i have been defeated....

3. Landwaker

Landwaker Member

Country Flag:
    Keeps the season interesting!

EDIT: Reading out my remaining opposition in order results in "bork dubskull wall." Yikes.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  4. Remthar

Remthar Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Lol, that's a worrying omen...

5. skullashtray

Country Flag:
    well you should be happy my killer will be out mng for our game

6. dubbs

dubbs Member

Cyanide Username:
    dubbs
    Country Flag:
    Consider the gauntlet thrown in the Happy Banter thread, my friend.

Despite my whining about tackle and my failed efforts at getting other people to kill your blitzers (people just aren't as interested in bribes as they used to be), I'm more excited for this than I have been for any match in the BC in three seasons :)

7. Landwaker

Landwaker Member

Country Flag:
    I take your gauntlet, I take it up!

Glad you're excited, I for one am frankly concerned (terrified) that I am once again collapsing at the critical point of the season; probably not the best preparation to dwell on it, but my record in matches that matter is just horrible and I might as well try to get out in front of it. Anyway, apologies in advance if I forego much in-game banter in favor of concentrating on concentrating.

But still looking forward to the rematch, see you soon!

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
  8. skullashtray

Country Flag:
    Hey bro just remember 4 of us get promoted

9. Landwaker

Landwaker Member

Country Flag:
    Yep, but as stated in my just-posted predictions [link], there are more than four in contention and I see myself getting fourth at best. And that's only if I can keep myself calm; as evidenced against Borke and dubbs, as soon as something goes wrong and I find my slow players out of position, I get angry at myself, I lose focus, I misread/misclick, then I get angrier, and so on. It's like when a tennis match starts to go bad, except it's a much slower burn and you're trying to compare probabilities and not just hitting a ball. But there's nothing for it but to keep playing, and fortunately this blog has reached a point where it keeps me invested in the story standpoint no matter the standings.

Not that I wouldn't prefer not to be the bloated joke of Ostland and face another season's worth of wizards and stars ... two more matches and we'll see!

10. TravelScrabble

TravelScrabble Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    Bloat? Your team is pure awesome. I'd love to coach the eporcs. In fact if this was the OFL I'd be gunning for your franchise. Your teams are what Ork n Mindy aspire to be.

11. Landwaker

Landwaker Member

Country Flag:
    Thanks TS, I like these ladz too, just not the inducements they give out. I may have gone overboard on the Tackle and getting more Guard earlier could have been better, but it should still be handy overall.

Speaking of Guard, I gave it to Orchilles as he became our first official Star, hurrah! A boring choice I know, but I couldn't bring myself to give him PO as planned, or Frenzy for flavor, as both have major downsides and would risk his AG4. Guard is always good, and he didn't roll boxcars like I asked, so there we are.

On another related note, connected to why I initiated Project Take Tackle, I was pleased to see my second-season bounty on the accursed GR Last Time You're Gonna See Them finally claimed by Street's Skorned. I promptly awarded them the Horclite Helm of Valorous Victory (added to first post) after putzing about in Paint and Photobucket for a couple hours (actually turned out about as good as it could if I do say so myself).

Lastly, I'll get caught up on the match reports this weekend. I don't mind writing about (SPOILER :rolleyes:) losses, but my plan was to try for a fresh POV each time until we'd seen the whole team. That's not going to work, as many of the lesser players just don't end up to doing much and won't be interesting to write or read. So expect to see more through the eyes of Aga and Kill, probably.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2016
  12. Borke

Borke Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Borke
    Country Flag:
    I'm looking forward to reading more reports and fluff from The Orciad, Landwaker! :)

13. skullashtray

Country Flag:
    well im looking forward to our matchup this week, i feel like the whole season has been building up to it

14. Landwaker

Landwaker Member

Country Flag:
    MATCH DAY SIX
    Agamemnorc watches as Menelorcus gets blocked by a zombie and goes down with it, then sighs as his pathetic lackey starts rolling around clutching his ankle. Aga glances at Landwaker and sees him shaking his head at Doc. Menel, you dumb oaf, now you're as lame as your finished career. They didn't save Orcjax II's ankle so they're certainly not going to save Menel's, and Menel still doesn't know how to block, so why keep him? By Horcdes, the one teammate who does what Aga says is now gone. Not that Menel was very useful, but at least he showed proper respect. Aga shakes his head as he paces the sideline, then looks up as the agile enemy ghoul scuttles away from Hectorc and helps block down Glorcus on the other side of the pitch. Aga leans forward as Patorclus II, Jax II and Diorcmedes pile into the side of the hasty Croaker cage. There's an opening there ... and here comes Orchilles to fill it with his blitz, crashing into the ghoul ... and killing it! Kill is a boastful loudmouth, but Aga has to admit that he sure can play sometimes.

The crowd cheers as the teams shove each other and the ball scatters, ending up in the rotting hands of the same zombie who smashed Menel's ankle. Kill blitzes around and tries to get the thing down, but only pushes it deeper into the scrum. Then the hired vampire Count Drakenborg pushes in from the other side, a fireball lands, the flesh golems stand firm and suddenly one of the wights has the ball and is running for the endzone. Damnation. Orcdysseus gives chase and manages to catch the armored fiend, but it just dodges away and the Croakers score with only a few minutes left in the half.

The human sends Aga out to manage the goblin-throw attempt, but the kick is too deep to get it in time. Damnation!

As the second half unfolds Aga charges up the field in a full cage toward the Necromantic columns. The Orciad surges forward and tries to push through their opponents, but their advance quickly stalls as the vampire stuns the troll and Glorcus is stomped unconscious by zombies and wights. Kill snarls and blitzes around the side, breaking out into the open, but Aga hesitates to follow. Unsure of where to go, he can only watch as a wight tries to push Kill out, but instead is knocked aside as Number One makes his way up to the end zone. Drakenborg uses his hypnotic gaze on Dyss, but the junior blitzer quickly snaps out of it and then blocks the vampire down! It's now or never...

Aga looks over to his left and sees Hectorc pile onto a zombie and open a small window in the enemy screen. Kill sees it and runs full out toward the middle of the goal. Aga looks toward Landwaker and the human just nods. Alright then. Aga heads into the breach near the scrimmage line and spirals the ball over a zombie's head ... and into Kill's hands! Yes! The entire team roars its approval and Aga can only smile. This is how it's supposed to be.

"Hold the draw!" Landwaker calls to them as the clock winds down. With several of his comrades in Doc's care, Aga stays on the pitch as Count Drakenborg heads toward them with the ball. Both of the wights bolt down one flank, and Aga joins Kill, Hec and Aenorcas to mark them up, with the goblin playing safety behind them. A zombie stumbles into the fray and knocks Kill over, then one of wights blitzes around and knocks out Little Orcjax. Horcdes take it! Norc gets around behind the enemy and Hec blitzes in, but the thing won't go down. Its comrade pushes Aga away and he can only spit curses as the wight dodges out, runs as far as it can to the goal, then turns around and catches the long pass from the vampire.

Aga scowls as the goblin won't wake up to try for the equalizer. A bitter defeat ... but they can't say he didn't do his part. No, it's the coach who must bear the ultimate blame. Will you wink at me now, human? Perhaps you should pray harder...

Check out Borke's analysis of the match in his blog. I can't complain about the exchange of long passes, but I don't think I played too badly here, besides forgetting about stand firm on a chain push. Beyond that it came down to the block dice. Luthor is a hard star to deal with and Borke used him well.

This match saw the tragic end of Menelorcus, who had finally gotten his first spp as the MVP of the admin draw, but here in the very next match took a -MV which made him unkeepable. I almost felt sorry enough to make him a second cheerleader, but I don't want more drums and I imagine he's too dumb to keep the beat anyway. So goodbye Menel, you were just a no-luck fella.

15. Landwaker

Landwaker Member

Country Flag:
    Interlude the Second

Grubnash watches as two lineorcs bring a body into the tent. Coach Landwaker stands up from his desk with a frown. "Dammit, Kit!" He walks over to the corpse as an old halfling scurries in to join him. "How long, Doc?" Grub leans to look over their shoulders and sees the pale face of a dead high elf.

The halfling checks a wrist and then jams his hand up a place that makes everyone else wince and move back a bit. "Still some warmth, I'd say under an hour."

"Good, good," the human replies, grabbing up a big old book and flipping through it. "He won't be far gone then, as long as I get all the inflections."

Doc looks doubtful as he wipes off his hand. "You sure he wanted this, LW?"

The coach rolls his eyes. "If he doesn't like it he can jump in a fire or whatever. Now let me concentrate, you ladz can go." The lineorcs get out gratefully and Grub wonders if he should too, but then the human starts muttering something and the torches go dim. Grub doesn't know these words -- Nagash comes up a lot -- but they put a chill in his marrow. The tent goes dark and cold and fills with ... wrongness. Grub turns to get out, but then it's suddenly over, and Landwaker shuts the book and rubs his eyes as the light and warmth return. Then he nods to Doc and the hafling leans over and gently shakes the corpse's shoulder. "... Kit?"

The elf's eyes slowly open, dull and dry but glowing slightly like's a light behind them, then he sits up with a jerk. "Aaaagh!"

"Easy, Kit," Landwaker says, crouching down to face him. "You're safe now, how do you feel?"

Kit struggles to speak until Doc tips his wineskin into the elf's mouth. When it finally comes his voice is a low croaking rasp. "I feel ... nothing?"

The human nods. "You should get some sensation back eventually, but it won't be like before. Hopefully your voice will improve too, but honestly I don't understand how that works anyway."

Kit blinks slowly, then lifts his pale hands and stares at them. "I'm ..."

"Yep, you're undead. But we got to you soon enough that you shouldn't decay much, so at a glance you'll just look a little paler than before as long as you're careful."

"I ..."

"You all there? What's the last thing you remember?"

The zombelf blinks again and keeps staring at his hands. "I was running ... something was chasing me through the streets ... something small and hooded and fast ... with a tail?"

The coach scowls and spits. "A damn GR, no surprise there."

"It ... cornered me in an alley ... I ... I tried to fight but ... it was too quick ... it dodged in and cut my thighs ..."

Doc looks and nods. "Slashed through both femorals, emptied you out like a bag of ... oh, sorry."

Landwaker peers into Kit's eyes. "Tell me who you are."

"I ... I am ... I was ... Kit Kavav."

The human purses his lips and sits back on his heels. "Yeah, I think you're right. With a hat, sunglasses and some makeup you might to be able to get by for while like nothing happened, but it couldn't last and it might even get that GR coming back for more. Better to embrace the new you and get on with your undeath."

"The ... the new me ..."

"Whoa, hey, check this out: you're not Kit Kavav anymore, you're Kit Kavdaver! Like cadaver, see? Don't try to hide it, make it your new shtick!"

"New ... shtick ...."

The human stands up and crosses his arms. "Right, you need some time. Doc, look after him till he finds his feet. You'll come around, Kit, this is just your next chapter."

"Next ... chapter ..." The zombelf staggers up and stumbles out with the halfling's help. The human looks after them for a moment, then shrugs and goes back to his desk. Finally he notices Grub still standing there. "Oh yes, our new blorc. Where were we?"

Grub swallows. "Uh ..."

A burly blitzer storms in with a scowl under his spiky helm. "What?" he growls.

Landwaker sighs. "Kill, I wanted to ask you about this Duchess thing..."

Kill puts his hands on his hips. "What about it?"

"Well, first off I wanted to check if it was real, because I didn't think orcs could ... do that." He clears his throat as Kill glares at him. "Look, just don't get distracted, okay? Or hurt, for that matter, she's ... large ..."

Kill snorts. "That all?"

"Yeah, that's all." The blitzer whirls and strides out, and the human shakes his head and looks back to Grub. "So I told you your new name?"

"Uh, yeah ... Menlorcs?"

"Menelorcus II, but they'll just call you Menel II."

"Er, why do I have to --"

"That's how we do things here. We have Grorcks and Trorcjans, and you're now a Grorck. You'll compete with the Trorcjans -- compete, not fight -- but there's only one Trorcjan blorc and he shouldn't give you many problems if you do your job. Diorcmedes, or Diorc, will be your boss and tell you what to do. Basically you just need to get good at hitting, and the lad you're replacing set the bar pretty damn low. Oh, and watch out for Agamemnorc, he's our thrower but he's a troublemaker."

"Okay..."

"No, don't say okay. Anything but okay."

"... Uh, whatever you say, Coach."

Landwaker nods. "Better. I think you'll do fine, go see Diorc and he'll get you sorted. Welcome to The Orciad."

Menel II walks out of the tent. What the Gork have I gotten into?

Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
  16. Landwaker

Landwaker Member

Country Flag:
    MATCH DAY SEVEN

Since I'm short on time and dubbs wrote up a great match report, I'm referring readers to there.

This one was painful because I lost control within a few turns; I told myself to keep a safety back, but when both my guard blorcs were stunned by the pitch invasion I decided it was more important to support the line. Soon enough dubbs emerges from the scrum with the ball -- eerily similar to our first match, actually -- and I go into reckless desperation mode. Without belaboring what I've already discussed, I have to keep working on staying calm and focused from turn to turn to maximize my chances.

Kill passing for his Star was the one highlight, and just in time; the showdown with skull is imminent...

17. Borke

Borke Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Borke
    Country Flag:
    Pretty dark stuff the coach is practicing there, soon you'll have yourself a Necro team ;)

18. TravelScrabble

TravelScrabble Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    Fantastic, but who would want to kill Kit and why? Still, gives the old boy a new lease on death so that's great.

Who knows what lady bloodthirsters and orc blizers get up to in the dark, I shudder to think.

19. Landwaker

Landwaker Member

Country Flag:
    We made it!

The Orciad has secured promotion to tier two, what a relief. I had prepared myself for another season in Ostland, and even had a good-if-grim fluff angle for it, but this is very much preferable. :)

I don't feel like writing up the last two matches, as they were both lopsided (fortunately the latter in my favor) and this angle has run its course. I've enjoyed putting on the players' perspectives, but the the off-pitch interludes have been much more fun to write than the match POVs. I'll still watch the replays, but will focus on identifying my mistakes rather than skimming for narrative highlights. While the dice can overrun even the best players, I still have plenty of room for improvement on my end. So another fluff change for next season, keeps it fresh anyway.

So there's Season 3, a much more dramatic ride than I would have chosen, but we ended up movin' on up, and here ... we ... go!

20. dubbs

dubbs Member

Cyanide Username:
    dubbs
    Country Flag:
    Congrats!

I suspect that means our reunion is unlikely, at least for next season though. So boo! But mostly congrats.