1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BC - The Croakers

Discussion in 'Team Blogs' started by Borke, Nov 1, 2013.

1. Borke

Borke Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Borke
    Country Flag:
    Hello everybody, and welcome to the home of The Croakers, the necromantic team nobody has been waiting to see - or hear.

The team joined the Big Crunch this season, and so far they are nothing to write home about. So far they only have two ties and a loss to their name, and they can't even sing in harmony yet. If I knew how to put a roster picture here, I would, but you'd be disappointed and bored after you'd seen it:

- 2 wolves with Block
    - 2 golems
    - 2 wights
    - 4 zombies
    - and lots of space on the roster

So far 2xBlock are the only skill-ups I've managed to get. The team therefore sits at a minimum of TV1040 for next game, with a loner zombie.

Speaking of the next game: I'll be facing Kjelstad and his Ogre team. They currently have a full 16 man (and snot) roster, sitting at TV1480 (with one Ogre MNG). If memory serves me correctly, I believe he has no gold stored whatsoever, so he might not easily make a decision to drop and re-hire some snotlings in order to lower the TV difference. But it's definitely a possibility, and I haven't even checked for cheerleaders and assistant coaches yet, so the 440 TV difference is not set in stone.

Nevertheless, I've been thinking about possible inducement strategies (caveat: I'm at work and I don't know if all the Star Players I mention below are actually in the game):

1)
    - Buy a ghoul (rostered)
    - Ramtut III
    - 1 babe
    Ramtut would provide some much needed muscle. The ghoul would be relatively safe this game, because only one of Kjelstad's Ogres has Block, and none have Tackle.

2)
    - Buy a ghoul (rostered)
    - Setekh
    - Wizard
    The wizard is obviously a powerful choice, I would think particularly against Ogre, who are often forced to run the ball downfield with relatively little protection. Setekh provides a lot less muscle, but with Strip Ball he's still going to be a very good safety, if he can get just one more assist. For the ghoul see above.

3)
    - Buy a ghoul and a zombie (rostered)
    - Wizard
    - any combination of babes/apo/reroll
    This is the maximum team development option I can think of right now. I sacrifice some ooomph for the game, relying mostly on speed and the wizard, but I get more players for the long term and some means to protect them during the game.

I would welcome any comments or thoughts!

2. TravelScrabble

TravelScrabble Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    In think the wizard will be good value for money and the ghoul will help take advantage of it. Having gone that far I'd get the zombie too for a bench. So for me its option 3 possibly with an extra apo if you can afford it.

great to see a new BC blog.

3. danton

danton Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    danton
    Country Flag:
    I like option 2. Strip ball and a wizard are both very useful against Ogres.

4. Dionysian

Dionysian Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    I'd take Luthor and a babe, which with the loner zombie gives you 12. You could also roster a ghoul and have enough left for Luthor, but this isn't the game I'd want to introduce a lone ghoul for. Even with dodge he's going to struggle to survive and more importantly for this match he doesn't have regen.

Kjel's pretty good with ogres, btw and he'll be trying to smash you off the park. Full regen coverage and a babe will help frustrate this. If you can avoid this it should be a nice spp-laden win with your wolves and wights killing snots and Luthor making sure he can't keep the ball secure to stifle the game.

5. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    I'm with danton behind door number 2.
    Nekbrekerekh (as Cyanide named him) can feasibly spill the ball even on a 2D against. And the wizard does the same thing on a 2+

6. G20

G20 Member

Country Flag:
    -2d blocks are much more dangerous with a loner. :skull: happens.

7. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Skulls do happen, but he's 70% likely to not roll one. And since he's ST 4 he's just one assist away from 84% success rate (when it comes to ball-stripping at least)

So I wouldn't suggest 2D against, but it's a valid desperation play ;)

8. Borke

Borke Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Borke
    Country Flag:
    The Croakers didn't learn to sing, yet!

I decided to go with Setekh and a wizard, as well as buying a ghoul before the game.

First half Kjel decided to receive, and then proceeded to KO two of my zombies straight away. Things turned around after that, however, when Kjel failed to pick up the ball several turns in a row. Hootie (werewolf) even managed to get a casualty on an ogre, but it was only a BH and Kjel wisely decided to use his apo to keep him in the game.

I proceeded to pressure the ball, and Kjel punished me for putting players out in the open like that by killing Wilhelm, the rookie ghoul :(

He even finally managed to pick up the ball, but it was held by a lone ogre in the back field, so I asked the wizard if he would be so kind as to throw a lightning bolt at him. The ball was free and Hootie grabbed it and ran it in for the opening score.

There were still 4 turns left in the half, however, so The Croakers had to hold the line for while to prevent the counter score. Unfortunately it was not to be, as Kjel took out one player after the other, badly hurting one wolf in the process (no regen). His ball carrier was also well behaved which meant he would easily be able to run in the equalizer.

At this point I decided to see what my inducements had bought me, and so Setekh dodged out, made two GFIs and then a 2d against, to knock the ball lose! Unfortunately I was down to 6 players at this point, so Kjel had little trouble clearing the ball of the one tackle zone I had put on it, picking it up with a snotling, handing off to another snot and running it in on turn 8. With both wolves out at this point, I had no chance to make any 1TTD attempt.

The second half was me fighting an uphill battle the whole time. I tried to make a quick play down my left side, but my numbers were so reduced, that the ball carrying wight was open to attacks from Kjel, which eventually were successful.

Kjel proceeded to score on turn 13, which left me with 3 turns to try and equalize. It looked like it might even happen, I rushed down one side, then launched a long bomb (from where the deep kick had landed), which was inaccurate, but landed in only my tackle zones.

In the end, it wasn't to be, though, as the ball carrying wight was too open, and the one ogre in easy range miraculously did not roll skull/BD ;)

On the positive side, apart from the ghoul's death there were no lasting injuries, and I had a wolf and a wight level up.

Thanks to Kjel for an entertaining game!

9. Borke

Borke Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Borke
    Country Flag:
    Hootie the wolf got a double, which probably means MB on top of the existing Block.

Bronski Bash the wight got a normal roll, so probably Guard for him.

The remaining two games this season are amazons and humans. My lack of tackle will definitely hurt against the amazons, but I don't think it's enough reason to take tackle for any of the level ups.

10. hungrygnome

hungrygnome Member

Country Flag:
    You put up a better showing against Kjelstad than I did. We tied 0-0, and he also killed my rookie ghoul too. So be proud of the score you managed, along with the hurt ogre!

11. Borke

Borke Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Borke
    Country Flag:
    After a long wait, when it looked like the match might not happen any more, the coach of The Croakers managed to overcome the "Low Gain", accompanied by many cheers from the team.

I decided to induce a wizard and a babe with my 220k inducements.

And so The Croakers met Mordachai's Amazons with an Attitude (also known as "Talk to the hand!!") for MD8. It was a tough match-up from the start, as with no Tackle on the team, The Croakers needed a clean pow to knock almost anyone over. And to give you the most frustrating statistic of the game up front: They got 9 pows out of 130 block dice...

Mordachai decided to kick in the first half, and for one turn things seemed to look good even, as The Croakers managed to injure a line woman right away. But then then inability to knock anyone else over resulted in the drive coming to a halt right in the center, and the Amazons put increasing pressure on Franky, the ball carrying wolf.

However, the Zons got a tiny bit careless on turn 4 or 5, leaving The Croakers a small opening to exploit the wolf's abilities: Franky made a single dodge away from the three players marking him, blitzed and surfed (with assist) the lone Amazon guarding the side, and made a run for it on the left. Not many Amazons were able to reach the lone wolf, none were able to make it without a dodge, and luckily for The Croakers, the very first dodge failed, leaving Franky unmarked and able to score the opener, after stalling for a turn.

Mordachai had 2 turns to equalize in the first half, but did not quite make it. I think it was about this time that my new Guard Wight was injured, and wouldn't you know it, he was dead dead. This time for real. One of three regen attempts which all failed during the game...

The second half started with 10 Croakers versus 11 Zons, and while I was able to pressure and slow down Mordachai for a while, the eualizer was more or less inevitable. I only had mild pressure on the ball carrier at this point, but Mordachai still decided to score early, making the game interesting for both of us in the end.

The last three turns could have gone either way. My reduced numbers (and the previously mentioned inability to knock anyone over) resulted in me not being able to push through right away, and Mordachai also managed to get one of his players through my lines to pressure the lone wolf at the back. At this point the Wizard took off a lot of pressure, and a dodge without reroll was all that prevented me from getting into scoring position on turn 15. The dodge failed, however, so Mordachai had one last attempt, needing a chain push with some dodges and then a pickup without reroll. His attempt failed on the pickup, however, and so the match ended with an overall fair 1-1!

Thanks to Mordachai for the enjoyable match and for being so patient with my login troubles!

12. Borke

Borke Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Borke
    Country Flag:
    After a long while, here is an update on the current state of our favourite choir, The Croakers:

[​IMG]

The first season in Big Crunch we ended in mediocrity, with a 3-3-3 record. Season 2, however, has started amazingly well, with 2 victories, taking home 48 SPP. Alice the ghoul joined the team, and they have developed a surprising knack for actually playing the ball, getting two +AGI.

The remaining season, we will be facing two amazon teams, two orc teams, nurgle, norse and high elves (not necessarily in that order). Seems doable!

13. TravelScrabble

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    Nice start Borne, seems like you'll be moving up next season.

14. Borke

Borke Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Borke
    Country Flag:
    Weeeell, I wouldn't say it's a certainty yet - after all, I want Nuffle to allow my players to live!

One thing I'm pondering at the moment is whether or not to buy the third RR now. I have 220k in the bank, so I can afford it and still have enough left to buy any one positional after next game, more or less.

On the other hand, I like to keep my Necro teams lean, keep the TV as low as possible. Looking at the next game, I'm currently giving away 200k to an Amazon team. Buying that RR would raise that to 270k, upgrading their "Wizard and a babe" to "Wizard and a bribe", I'm guessing, which is not a very pleasant upgrade from my perspective :p

15. Phunbaba

Phunbaba Active Member

Cyanide Username:
    Phunbaba
    Country Flag:
    Bribes don't always work and you have regen. Two babes would probably help them more. That or an apo. If they could afford it I'd worry about a dp lino more than a bribe too.

16. TravelScrabble

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    I like 3 re-rolls for necro, and in your case it makes those agi 4 passing plays more feasible.

17. Borke

Borke Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Borke
    Country Flag:
    So, I decided to not buy the third RR, when I realized that it would put the TV difference at exactly 270, enough to induce Zara.

Wallbanger decided to kick first half, and I was off to a bad start when the pickup failed and the ball bounced out of bounds, ending up unprotected. The Zons didn't take advantage of it, though, instead deciding to maximize blocks and basing all my players. I was able to push through the middle, though, having both FG in range. I then dashed forward with the ball carrying Ghoul, risking exposing him in the hopes of an early score (at this point I felt I was in very good shape and wanted to attempt a steal after the TD). The Ghoul was taken down, though, after some Zon dodges. I managed to then make an elf play, blitzing the +AGI WW free and picking the ball up in two TZ, then dodging away again. The following Wizard fizzled, and I was able to run away, stall and then score on T8.

However, in the midst of all this stalling, Wallbanger was able to gang up on one of my FG and injure it off with a -STR - Regen failed...

The second half we were even in players at 9 each, because my KOs (one of them being the MB WW) decided the KO box was healthier, while the Zon KOs all came back. Wallbanger started with a slow advance after a deep kick, being relatively safe because a Pitch Invasion had left almost half of my team stunned. We exchanged blows for a while, I was able to put decent pressure on Wallbanger's lose cage, but never quite managed to get to the ball carrier. In the end the Amazons scored on T16, and my 1TTD attempt was foiled by bad push management.

All in all a frustrating game, both my 1d and 2d being in the negative, and having to replace a FG. The ghoul leveled, getting a normal, so Block (roster is updated).

Let's see what the next match brings! :)

18. Borke

Borke Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Borke
    Country Flag:
    So, the next match was scheduled very quickly, 40 minutes from now to be exact (19:00 GMT). Here is what I'm looking at:

[​IMG]

The roster is actually not quite as pictured. Three Linemen and a Berserker are MNG, so rogo will actually be fielding 3 loners and getting 440 TV worth of inducements. I could be looking at Morg :(

Let's see if my armor and / or Regen can hold up!

19. Borke

Borke Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Borke
    Country Flag:
    If Rogo was reading the blog, he did not go for my ruse and induce what I had feared, a Wizard and Zara...

My 1d rolls let me down early on, ending my hopes of a defensive TD in the first half, and we were down 0-1 at half time (after quite a bit of blocking, the Wizard being used to knock down by killer WW, but no casualties sustained).

The second half I was able to score early, and a nice deep kick allowed me to pressure the ball, while the Norse were tied up at the LOS. A long pass by Rogo brought the ball back to the LOS, though, even if the catch failed. I went for the quick pickup with my +agi Ghoul and then a 3+ pass (with RR) over marked players to my +agi Werewolf. The pass was intercepted by a Norse Werewolf, however... Luck then turned my way when Rogo turned over quickly 2 turns in a row, allowing me to set up and eventually complete the long TD run with a handoff and 2+ pass, for the final 2-1 score.

In the end I received a few injuries, but only a rookie zombie got a niggle. I finally received some SPP on my zombies, though noone leveled. Both WW are now within reach of their next level, so here's to hoping for next game :)

20. Borke

Borke Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Borke
    Country Flag:
    So, this week I can start to look ahead to next match much earlier, like, right now! It's going to be a tough one, I am playing dubbs' All Star Sedai:

[​IMG]

dubbs has played his match for this week already, no levels pending, so as it stands, I am looking at 250k TV difference, with my team currently sitting at 11 players to dubbs' 13 (I am down one Zombie).

I already struggled against Wallbanger's Amazon team this season, managing only a 1-1, and dubbs' team is going to be even more annoying. The main difference is that All Star Sedai totally outguards me, so I am expecting to be on the receiving end of some bashing, and going to have a hard time bashing back... :(

Looking at inducements, here are my thoughts:

- Wizard, babe, rostered zombie
    - Wizard, "rostered" reroll
    - "Rostered" reroll, igor, merc zombie
    - "Rostered" reroll, 2 babes, merc zombie
    - "Rostered" reroll, bribe, merc zombie

I don't really like the idea of a bribe. There are many squishy targets on the Amazon team, true, but I don't really think fouling is going to get me a decent advantage, there are just so many annoying players on dubbs' team. I think that the Wizard is a strong option, if I can funnel the Zons into a nice 9 man cage :p In this case I like the first option more, even if it leaves me with only 2 rerolls still.