1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Becoming good at Blood Bowl

Discussion in 'General Blood Bowl News and Discussion' started by Ice, Dec 22, 2011.

1. nufflehatesme

nufflehatesme Member

Country Flag:
  2. Lebe666

Lebe666 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
  3. Ice

Ice New Member

Country Flag:
    Something inside me FINALLY made a connection, I've been reading beginner guides, articles, etc. for most of this year and my game has hardly gotten better.

I read that thread and all i've read finally sinks in :D

now to hope this realization helps me win games.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2011
  4. Lebe666

Country Flag:
    You think your game is not getting better... but it just might be your not facing newbies.

I've taken a beating now that I'm playing only FOL... my win ratio dropped... just now its getting back up again... facing better players makes us better.

5. Lebe666

Country Flag:
    Been reading some stuff Scedeau posted about risk management.

One of my weak points has been backfield protection. I rush enemy flanks and end up leaving my backfield vunerable. Since I didnt use to play elves that usually meant I either suffered a loss of ball and a TD against me.

Now these same antics while playing elves might end up a disaster... but usually their agility has meant that attracting oppo players into my backfield makes it easier to advance ahead.

So leaving a deep thrower in 2 GFI reach of oppo player ? Dodging away is easy. The oppo making 2 GFI just to get in contact seems mighty risky. So is it worth it having to make a dodge in order to make enemy do a 2 GFI ?

6. Ice

Ice New Member

Country Flag:
    I think it would be ok as long as the risk your taking doesn't outweigh the risk they're taking and try to add more dice rolls (ie dodges) to what they need to do to get to the there.

7. Kolat

Kolat Member

Country Flag:
    A major hurdle I took was staying away from one die blocks, unless the risk was/is necessary to win the game. Though everyone's ratio of what is that important varies, it is important to embrace it.

The advice to play better opponents, and/or watch them play, is imperative to becoming a better coach!

8. Metalsvinet

Metalsvinet New Member

Well regarding one die blocks I think it depends... When playing my dark elves I only did one die blocks when absolutely nessecary, but now I'm playing chaos dwarves and when the dwarves have mighty blow and nothing better to do, I often do the blocks late in the turn - especially against low AV teams. You have less to risk when your player has high AV and block and more to gain if there is a real chance to get opponents down and out.

9. DamanArress

DamanArress Member

Country Flag:
    I'll also tell you some things I've learned in just playing. They are simple tasks that I knew, but it took a "ohhh...." moment to really kick in.

1. There are 8 turns in a half. You know that already, but what I was doing (and have really seen lately) is that your risks should scale up as the end of the half proceeds, not stay flat. Everything you do in turn one should be almost risk free (except maybe the pickup on offense). Then turn 2, a very slight increase. Doing this will help you save rerolls and inherently move you down the pitch.

2. The game is not balanced. So you can't play every team the same way. I started, and was trying to cage up with every team. Not a horrid strategy, but my goblins (extreme example) are going to just get beat down and I'm going to be dodging out as a last resort. Read the "team strategies" here to help you kind of decide what you're going to do with what team. That said...

3. Skill ups matter. And how do you skill up? By playing games. Two dwarf teams square off, one at a TV of 1400 and one at a TV of 1000. Sure, you get a Master Chef or maybe the girl with the stakes, but inducements just don't catch up with the mighty blows, the extra block, and other skill type dice-changers that really put you out in front. Which means...

4. Even losing is worth something. I got disconnected once, and I was more angry than the umpteen times I've lost because I missed out on valuable MVPoints. And I missed an opportunity to learn even more. I still cannot stop a valiant passing attack with any race I try, but I keep trying. And it's just a game...I'm sure 22nd century humans aren't going to look down on my family just because of my Cyanide record.

5. Keep with your strategy of changing your strategy. Go in with a plan, but be willing to change that plan at a moments notice. Although "good coaches" take luck out of the equation a little more, it's still there. You could have a perfect cage marching on, and your opponent 6Crits a dodge inside, 2-die against and rolls double :pow:, and takes down your ball carrier. Now you have to adjust, because you'll need to pick up the ball again and still try to get a score. Be willing to do it, and not throw your mouse.

That is all.

DamanArress
    The Rookie

10. Lebe666

Country Flag:
    Nice Daman...