1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best of Race Competition

Discussion in 'Blood Bowl 1' started by Muundus, Dec 6, 2015.

1. Muundus

Muundus Active Member

Country Flag:
    Hey all, just wondering here, but would there be any interest in starting a new Championship league where the divisions are determined by the race you choose? We would need a lot of players, but what I am imagining is a league where every race has its own division. At the end of the regular season, the best teams from each division are ceded to the playoffs where they finally start to face other races.

If we couldn't get the players to do each race separately then we could either determine which races go in which divisions (all elf teams in one division for example) or we could make it a one off competition where we pick a different race each time and everyone plays that race for the tournament.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2015
  2. LloydsGamble

LloydsGamble Active Member

Cyanide Username:
    LloydsGamble
    Country Flag:
    Sounds fun, but would be hard getting players as you say.

A one-off league with everyone playing the same race (chosen randomly) would be interesting though for sure

3. Muundus

Muundus Active Member

Country Flag:
    Right, I'm thinking a one off league with a short play off at the end may be the best way to go.

4. Muundus

Muundus Active Member

Country Flag:
    By the way, did I post this in the wrong forum? It sure is getting a lot less attention than I thought it would?

Maybe it is just an absolutely terrible idea? Ha!

5. TravelScrabble

TravelScrabble Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    This is probably the best place for it, but tbh many people do not enjoy mirror matches that much so playing several in a row isn't super appealing

6. cjblackburn

cjblackburn Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    cjblackburn
    Country Flag:
    I think if you solidified what you were proposing you might find some takers. There are 3 different competitions in your original post some are more appealing then others but I wouldn't know which one I would be signing up for.

There is a place for niche leagues but it is often best to start small. If you had said I want to start an Elven teams only league say then it would not surprise me if you had got 10 coaches interested. Also it would be useful to know where you were proposing to play the league, at the moment not everyone has both BB1 and BB2.

7. tys123

tys123 Courier Staff

Country Flag:
    I ran something similar in the OCC a couple of years ago.

Started with an open league where everyone could play up to 5 matches which had to include everyone else playing your race.
    That went into 4 groups of 6 for a normal league. Best team from each race qualified plus the best 2nd placed race.
    Top 2 in each group qualified for the quarter finals.

Think we had around 60 teams in the open league stage.

8. Muundus

Muundus Active Member

Country Flag:
    Hey CJ, I know what you mean. Thing was that I wasn't proposing anything in particular, I was throwing out multiple possibilities intentionally to see if any of them had any interest for the community. That being said, I guess someone would need to make the call.

So, let's scratch the big league with individual race divisions idea. And the big league with broader category of races as their own division idea as well.

Let's talk about one off competitions, where each competition we pick a race or a couple of races (elves... Or Orc teams and goblin teams... For example), play a set number of games, and then have a short playoffs.

Is there any interest in this? If so what would we name the competition? I, unfortunately, am not the most tech savvy guy (which is definitely a minus when practicing law, but hey, can't pick your aptitudes), so I would be looking for volunteers to help do this. Could the competition eventually rate a nifty trophy like The Crunch Cup? I certainly hope so.

9. Muundus

Muundus Active Member

Country Flag:
    So what would you all prefer: 1) One race per competition; or
    2) We pick a couple of viable races that are allowed each time we run the competition.

10. mamutas

mamutas Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    mamutas
    Cyanide Username:
    mamutas
    Country Flag:
    We had a "Gimpy League" competition once back at my old workplace. We were allowed to pick from Goblins, Halflings, Vamps, Underworld, Ogres and Khemri. That was pretty fun.
    So, I suggest to pick a handful of races instead of one only, all of which are in the same tier or otherwise similar to each other.
    Obviously that wouldn't be BB2, as there are not enough races (or about right, from other point of view :))

11. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    A short season with a playoff can usually be drummed up support for even when it has an amusing theme. (Sometimes especially because it has an amusing theme)

Crunch Cup had one season of "Goblins only", and I've played in the Manly Blood Bowl league that only allowed normal humans.
    The team(s) should be reasonably amusing (so no "orcs only" league) and a theme of some sort is good.

12. Muundus

Muundus Active Member

Country Flag:
    Well that is two votes for option 2! But Khemri as a Gimp team? I've never looked at them that way certainly! Strongest team in the game. Honestly the only teams that I really think of as Gimp teams are those teams without any players with normal General Skill access. Goblins, Halflings, Ogres.

Now I don't want to do Gimp League, so if we end up going with a couple of different races then this is what I think of as options:

1) High Elves, Wood Elves, Dark Elves, Pro Elves;

2) Orcs, Goblins, Ogres, Underworld, Chaos Dwarfs;

3) Skaven, Underworld;

4) Chaos, Nurgle, Chaos Dwarfs, Skaven, Underworld, Khorne;

5) Dwarfs, Chaos Dwarfs, Orcs, Goblins;

6) Humans, Norse, Amazons, Dwarfs, Ogres, Halflings;

7) Amazons, Lizardmen, Skaven;

8) Undead, Necromantic, Khemri, Vampire;

9) Humans, Vampire, Khorne; and

10) Chaos, Norse.

Anybody have any other ideas that they think would be fun?
    Perhaps we change the name each time depending on what races are being used? And you can use old teams from one of the previous competitions if their race qualifies them for the competition that is coming up?

Last edited: Dec 7, 2015
  13. cjblackburn

Cyanide Username:
    cjblackburn
    Country Flag:
    I always wanted to do a mutations only league. So Nurgle, Chaos and Underworld in BB1 and the only skills allowed are mutations. Probably better in TT as you will want to set it up differently and add Pact.

14. Muundus

Muundus Active Member

Country Flag:
    I like the idea, but I wouldn't want to say Mutations only... Perhaps they have to have as many mutations as other skills (not counting mutations they start with, so first skill would have to be a mutation, then they could get another skill, then they would have to get another mutation, etc.) name of the league could be Fantastic Freaks and Such or something. Ooh... Could also add a rule that every mutation has to be represented on your team before you double up on a mutation. This would force people to try to come up with uses and builds for mutations instead of just saying, "I think I'll take a little more Claw!"

LOVE it. Any other ideas?

15. cjblackburn

Cyanide Username:
    cjblackburn
    Country Flag:
    Just say no more than 2 Claw. Easier to admin. The joy of only mutations is only Underworld blitzers get block so every match is carnage.

16. Muundus

Muundus Active Member

Country Flag:
    GOTCHA. SO YOU THINK NO GENERAL ACCESS AT ALL?

Posted a new thread. MUUNDUS PRESENTS: FANTASTIC FREAKS AND SUCH.

17. mamutas

mamutas Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    mamutas
    Cyanide Username:
    mamutas
    Country Flag:
    Yeah, I like Mutation only idea. Usually people (well, in my world, at least) go for safe skills and Mutation only is taken as there is not much safer, or the person just having fun.
    Forcing all to take Mutations only sound like lots of fun in somewhat short league. ;)