1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best "stock" races for new players to try

Discussion in 'General Blood Bowl News and Discussion' started by Hopelesst, Dec 29, 2012.

1. Hopelesst

Hopelesst New Member

Country Flag:
    I recently moved away from my playgroup, and wish to establish a new league. Problem is that my friends aren't familiar with blood bowl and I want to make it accessible.

What I think I need are a few good beginner teams to lend the new players for learning the rules, trying the major play-styles, and get past the initial financial speedbump of buying a team. So what I need is a list of 4 or so teams that are:
    • Good representatives of major play styles
    • Good teams for beginner coaches
    • Teams that can be obtained affordably or easily converted

What I have now is just my converted Dark Elf team. I plan to buy the boxed game which'll give me Humans and Orcs as well. I have solid conversion skills but I'm not a good sculptor yet. I also have casting supplies, so I can recast the players a team doesn't start you with (looking at you, black orcs).

I'm looking forward to having a rounded collection of teams, especially since the ones I'm building for myself are more difficult to play (Vampires and Nurgle).

Thanks in advance for your help!

2. Narly Bird

Narly Bird Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Orcs and Humans are pretty good beginner teams and are the cheapest given they come in the box.

I also like High Elves, given their higher armour, throwers and catchers.

Undead and Skaven are also good for beginners.

3. Coach

Coach Administrator Head Coach

Country Flag:
    I gave my thoughts on how each race is for beginners when I did the team overviews on the main site. I actually think Humans are tricky to play well, though I seem to be in a minority that they aren't a great beginners team. Perhaps they are for teaching the rules as they have nearly all the basic skills.

Orcs and Undead would be the most forgiving for a beginner and Narly's other suggestions beyond them.

As for getting the models, I would keep an eye on ebay, auctions of job lots or whole teams gets you the most for your money. You can do down the conversion routes, some races easier than others, depends how much time you want to put into it just to get things up and running.

4. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Starting teams:

Going to list six teams here:
    Orcs and Humans because they are cheap and have all skills (Orcs are better in the long run)
    Amazons and Undead because they are resilient (Undead are better in the long run)
    Wood Elves and Lizards because they are fast (both are good in the long run, wood elves start easier but die faster)

Major play styles:
    All (except possibly woodies) can play as bash or running, woodies (and possibly orcs, humans and amazons) can play as passing.

Ease of conversion:
    Buying a female human team means they convert easily to Amazons
    Getting a Necromantic team and adding two skeletons and two ghouls means you have an Undead team as well.
    Using the right models makes all the elf teams easily converted between each other by saying "this is now the X team."
    Lizards could similarly double as ogres or vampires (or vice versa) if the models don't look too outlandish.
    Don't forget the "works as" rules. I have an elf team which with a bit of fluff/explanation and a dragon big guy suddenly becomes a norse team.

5. Netsmurf

Netsmurf Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    Dwarfs are the best team to teach you the grind, and to learn you how to position your players. They have very low MA so you got to place them right or lose. A fun challence:powdodge:

6. Gallows Bait

Gallows Bait Super Moderator Moderator

Cyanide Username:
    Gallows Bait
    Country Flag:
    I'm inclined to suggest Orcs as the starting team of choice. They give a solid foundation in learning to cage and grind, which is the most common tactic really, but with AG3 they open up some passing play in a pinch.

I do like Humans as a starting team simply from the point of view of learning to handle players with starting skills and specific roles. You learn the need to put the right players in the right places, and you have some speed to learn to outflank and get through slower teams like Orcs.

But, admittedly, like Coach says, they don't win so much and the attrition for them can be hard on someone not so experienced, so they do run the risk of being offputting in a league with a lot of hitters.

7. G20

G20 Member

Country Flag:
    It kind of depends on how one defines a good new player team. If the idea is to learn how to play the game, humans are the best. If the idea is to give the new player a chance to win with minimal skill, then orcs or dwarves are the best. I'd tend towards letting the new player learn with a human team and making the human team play better by playing a challenge team like halflings or something. Amazons also make a good team for a new player.

8. Hopelesst

Hopelesst New Member

Country Flag:
    Well after reviewing the team overviews the undead team looks like a great starting roster, as well as a team I could really enjoy playing down the road. It also lools like a team that could be a good forray into sculpting. Adding four more members will give me a necromantic team as well.

So it looks like my roster will look something like this:
    Humans
    Orcs
    Dark Elves (easy stand ins for other elf teams)
    Undead

That should be plenty of teams to get people interested enough buy/build their own teams.

9. Pottsy

Pottsy Member

Country Flag:
    I personally agree with Coach, humans aren't a great starting team. I think it's better to start with a one-trick pony team than a varied one. Although I will admit there are a lot of advantages with playing a human team, from a learning point of view.

Definitely talk to your friends about how they want to play Blood Bowl. If they want to hit hard, stand firm, pass or dodge talk them into playing one of the more dedicated teams. If they like the idea of having more options, give them a crash course in making the most of their positionals and point them towards filthy, boring 'ummies.