Best Worst Skill

MalicWanderer

Star Player
Steam Username
MalicWanderer
Cyanide Username
MalicWanderer
Country Flag
So I'm curious, what do people think is the best worst skill?

To clarify what I mean, I'm looking for skills (on specific players) that aren't good, and you know they aren't good, but that are "less bad" enough you might take them anyway, particularly as say a last skill.

Right now my vote goes to Tentacles on a Gutter Runner.

It's obviously a terrible skill to take on a GR, we all know this. Against a ST 3 target, they're only going to get stopped by it 1/6 of the time. But I think I'd strongly consider as a last skill (assuming they rolled doubles of course) on a gunner that had been purpose built for marking people and stopping them running away. So, blodgestep, tackle, diving tackle, and prehensile tail as the first five skills. Even on this player Tentacles still isn't good, but it is one more roll they have to make to get away, which could be the difference between winning and tying, or tying and losing.

tys123

Courier Staff
Country Flag
Thick Skull on Legendary Black Orcs/Chaos Warriors/Nurgle Warriors

Thick Skull is never going to be a great skill but it does slightly reduce the chance of a player being depitched.

I still wouldn't take tents on your gutter. Pass Block would be my choice to mark whoever gets passed the ball.

Nikolai II

Super Moderator
Steam Username
Dreamy
Cyanide Username
Dreamy
Country Flag
Right now my vote goes to Tentacles on a Gutter Runner.

It's obviously a terrible skill to take on a GR, we all know this. Against a ST 3 target, they're only going to get stopped by it 1/6 of the time. But I think I'd strongly consider as a last skill (assuming they rolled doubles of course) on a gunner that had been purpose built for marking people and stopping them running away. So, blodgestep, tackle, diving tackle, and prehensile tail as the first five skills. Even on this player Tentacles still isn't good, but it is one more roll they have to make to get away, which could be the difference between winning and tying, or tying and losing.

I'd take Shadowing so many times before Tentacles on that runner that my head spins just trying to figure it out. :D
Pass block is more specific to marking against passers, but also better than tentacles.

I've taken thick skull on a star/superstar mummy in a claw-heavy environment (don't remember which level it was, but it wasn't before guard and I think there was stand firm and break tackle there already, at least one of them)

Piling On on a treeman is probably the best "bad" skill pick imo :D
It's still worth it since you rarely can afford to recycle and it takes a while to pick up grab (and then they get guard and break tackle, but then choices begin to thin)

Jav

Mega Star Player
Steam Username
Javelin
Cyanide Username
javelin
Country Flag
Ya, I think tentacles would be a horrible pick, even for the last pick on a marking gutter runner. Especially on a double. Guard to both mark and provide an assist would be better, and two-heads to get him to the spot you want marked would also be better.

I generally feel that way about fend, but will take it as a late skill on a ball carrier from time to time.

NieA7

Mega Star Player
Steam Username
NieA7
Cyanide Username
Under7
Country Flag
I always want to take grab, but there's usually a skill that looks better than it...

DireSickFish

Mega Star Player
Steam Username
SickFish
Cyanide Username
DireSickFish
Country Flag
I always want to take grab, but there's usually a skill that looks better than it...
It's a skill I want to take on a Delf Blitzer to give myself more sideline control. But I can never turn down Guard or MB in that situation. Grab seems so useful when they have a sidestepping sideline cage, and my Witches can't take it even if theyw anted to.

Nikolai II

Super Moderator
Steam Username
Dreamy
Cyanide Username
Dreamy
Country Flag
Grab is a super positional skill on blockers, but on blitzers it only really helps if you have plenty of sidesteppers in the opposition.

Fend is a super skill too, second skill on zombies or norse linemen, and many elves will pick it around sidestep, especially if the league carries plenty of piling on.

TravelScrabble

Mega Star Player
Steam Username
travelscrabble
Cyanide Username
travelscrabble
Country Flag
Foul appearance on nurgle warriors, it's a bad skill but if you have a bunch it can turn the tide in a bash war and it's super annoying.

NieA7

Mega Star Player
Steam Username
NieA7
Cyanide Username
Under7
Country Flag
Grab is a super positional skill on blockers, but on blitzers it only really helps if you have plenty of sidesteppers in the opposition.

It is, but your typical blockers are Black Orcs or Saurus - after block, guard, mighty blow, fend/stand firm there's only one skill left in a normal life, and you've still not got break tackle or tackle.
Foul appearance on nurgle warriors, it's a bad skill but if you have a bunch it can turn the tide in a bash war and it's super annoying.

It's also free, so it hardly counts :p I once saw one chaos team that had taken prehensile tail as the first or second skill on every player - the match happened to be against some flavour of elf, who were utterly demolished. I've always felt that mutation skills are overlooked as a family, they're usually just the support for either agility or strength rather than a driver themselves. I'd like to see a team with only GM access on most their players, just to force some more interesting skill choices.

Jav

Mega Star Player
Steam Username
Javelin
Cyanide Username
javelin
Country Flag
Dreamy's grab ghoul in the OCC looks like a nightmare to me (or at least to all my SS gutters)!

Valcurdra

Super Star Player
Country Flag
I think building a pass blocker falls into this category, Could win you a game once in a while but is generally not useful

Nikolai II

Super Moderator
Steam Username
Dreamy
Cyanide Username
Dreamy
Country Flag
It is, but your typical blockers are Black Orcs or Saurus - after block, guard, mighty blow, fend/stand firm there's only one skill left in a normal life, and you've still not got break tackle or tackle.

Yeah, but orcs can use blitzers for the killer skills, and a couple of upcoming orc teams in OCC are showing the power of Block Guard Grab Stand Firm in that order.

Saurii have a harder time getting grab, while Tomb Guardians are another good option for grab spam. (Sadly claw-MB is so op that Nurgle don't have much interest in grab spam)

cjblackburn

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
cjblackburn
Country Flag
I took Sneaky Git on my DP Snotling.

Obviously I would have preferred no skill but double 1s and 2s happen if you foul often enough and he did. I could have gone DT but he was not allowed anywhere near anyone standing up for it to be useful.

Nikolai II

Super Moderator
Steam Username
Dreamy
Cyanide Username
Dreamy
Country Flag
Meanwhile, if I go down the road of a DP skeleton again, and get a double, I'll be picking Dodge over Sneaky Git :D

tys123

Courier Staff
Country Flag
But a DP , Sneaky Git snotling is the same value as 1/2 an Ogre or 3.5 snotlings.
I would have sacked him rather than giving him a 2nd skill.

cjblackburn

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
cjblackburn
Country Flag
But a DP , Sneaky Git snotling is the same value as 1/2 an Ogre or 3.5 snotlings.
I would have sacked him rather than giving him a 2nd skill.

I had a full roster of Snots and 6 Ogres. I was also sitting below most teams in terms of TV. I was in effect paying 50k for DP which was a bit much but was very good against high AV. I hardly ever scored with a Snot so they were mostly unskilled and not likely to get a skill let alone a double. In fact he was the only Snot double I got.

Last edited: