1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Big Crunch 3: Averland Fluffy Clouds Thread

Discussion in 'Big Crunch' started by TravelScrabble, Dec 8, 2013.

1. hungrygnome

hungrygnome Member

Country Flag:
    I havent even been ranked. Not quite sure what that means for my teams expectations...

2. Werebat

Werebat Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Werebat
    Country Flag:
    Same here, Hungry. Not that I think Wyrmwood is likely to excel in a league with two CD teams... Especially since we've already lost our first two games. But we've got a showing in FIVE of the superlatives so far, so that's something!

3. Hawca

Hawca Member

Country Flag:
    So 2 games down and 2 wins, but looks like I may have to sack a Chorf already with -1 ma.

But the Blacksheep march on

4. TravelScrabble

TravelScrabble Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    Averlanders, welcome once more to the Big Crunch. Being new you all deserve an opportunity to make your names and reputations known and that is why we well be trying to give you all your ten minutes of fame with our semi-regular feature:

The Averland Match of the Day: Match Day 1

Peddle Power vs Delusional Dimwits

The Delusional Dimwits took on Peddle Power this week in a game where most might have expected the elves to run rings around the goblins and rats. But The Underworld team started well, stunning two elves right off the line and recovering the ball on their drive.
    The Pro Elves do what they do, namely try to get a blitzer on the ball carrier, and Zulle does the job, but after that they have more trouble as Ullrich manages to fall over himself trying to throw a block.
    Delusional Dimwits drive forward and keep putting elves on the floor though even with a foul on Zulle they can’t get any of them off the pitch, but instead ensure Grimtoof is ejected.
    Peddle Power try to fight back but trip over themselves again. Perhaps emboldened by their incompetence Skinflayer responds by putting Ullrich in the recovery box and the rest of the team follow his lead as Kohl, Raimunda and Camano are all carted off.
    Zulle is till causing the underworld problem but sidesteps into trouble to tempt them into commiting a lot of manpower to forcing him off the pitch. The ploy works as the crowd are unable to hurt him and Anuk-Sha the Thro-Ra runs the ball in early.
    The elves have enough time to score but only eight players to ten and things start badly for them when Indurain is slightly off target with his pass downfield. Hamilton still catches it, but is soon taken out cold by Skinflayer. When Zulle then continue to play like he has dumbbells attached to his feet the chance at the tie score is gone.

2nd Half

Luckily for the elves their groupies to their magic in the dugout and they are able to field 9 players for the second half. Indurain also starts things off more auspiciously by passing successfully to Riis who catches and dodges away from hi marker as if he wasn’t there (that’s elven catchers for you).
    Coach hungrygnome finds his players seriously out of position and goes for some unorthodox play to chase down Riis but Dustwraith has his own plans and tries to eat Lenny the Saurus instead of flinging him towards the ball. Skinflayers then goes down trying while trying to sprint back with his blitz.
    Ullrich piles on Lenny’s woes by hitting him next turn at which point the goblin comically goes down clutching his chest in melodramatic fashion and is deeply relieved to be carried off the pitch away from the hungry troll.
    Ullrich then clears a path for Riis who run in the score.
    Suddenly it’s the elves who have the man advantage 9 vs 8 for the fourth and final drive. The underworld prove that they got game too though, as Leafblighter pases to Rockhounds but he is left exposed when Dustwraith gets a little overenthusiastic and follows through on his block so much that he ends up on the floor with an unfortunate elf under him (remarkably said player is only knocked out).
    Ullrich takes Rockhound out of the play only for Meatbag to catch it but he is quickly blitzed down. This prompts an almighty scramble for the ball until Anuk-Sha eventually recovers it and passes to Gredal. When he I brought down by Riis the game is effectively over.

1-1
    In a very entertaining contest that had everything. Bo Hamburger probably didn’t enjoy it though as he picked up a serious concussion. Special mentions for both Ullrich and Skinflayer who showed great promise and are ones to watch for the future.

5. hungrygnome

hungrygnome Member

Country Flag:
    Someone better step their game up quick. In a DIV with 3 ChD, my UNDERWORLD are currently the biggest brutes... And I dont even have a win yet. (shows you just how terrible im doing)

6. Miicr0

Miicr0 Member

Cyanide Username:
    Miicr0
    Country Flag:
    Nice match report TS!

Let's get some fluff (and more trashtalk!) going!

I'm not afraid of you Chaos Dwarves?! GET AT IT!
    Please don't kill me

7. Werebat

Cyanide Username:
    Werebat
    Country Flag:
    What in the Old World happened to Wired? Am I actually going to be facing them sans Wardancers next week?

Where's the rest of the team?

After snatching defeat -- well, a tie, really -- from the jaws of victory earlier today, Wyrmwood is wondering if this could be the week -- when they finally win a game! :D

8. Miicr0

Miicr0 Member

Cyanide Username:
    Miicr0
    Country Flag:
    Chaos Dwarves happened :(

I will have to go into some games with my -AV Wardancer (after our match) since I don't have any bank. Will be rough with a couple loners and still no rerolls. But hey! A 0RR elf squad doesn't need any rerolls if it is just loners! Heh... Heh... heh... :(

The rest of the team is still gunning to score though! Be afraid!

9. Blasscend

Blasscend Member

Cyanide Username:
    Blassc_end
    Country Flag:
    And don't you forget that draw happened even though Zara died on Turn 3 :p

0-2-1, not too haply but hey, at least I can say Nuffle doesn't fuck me just as much as last CC.

And hey, only 2 more Chdorf teams to go.

10. Werebat

Cyanide Username:
    Werebat
    Country Flag:
    Yes, right after one of my linerats scored on turn 2! On the drive where your chef stole NONE of my rerolls!

I'm still not entirely sure what I did wrong, but it must have been something pretty bad to let you sew that one up (either that or you're just a great player -- which makes me look better, so, yeah!).

It's clear that I lost the attrition war (wanted to go for the thrown goblin TD desperation play at one point and realized I had no goblins left!)

Crazy few turns at the beginning, though!

11. Blasscend

Blasscend Member

Cyanide Username:
    Blassc_end
    Country Flag:
    Well, there are a few things to be noted there. First off, my experience with flings. I might not bd the fling player with the most of it here on BBT, but if you ask anyone here, the'll probably tell you I'm crazy for having played them a looot in the last few months. And it shows, really. So I had that going for me. Plus, from last Crunch Cup, I took a few hints and notes what to do if Nuffle gives me hate when I play them. It's basically what I did after I recieved first half. Ialready do better than there because I learned this.

Also, it was kinda obvious who to go for. 4 goblins only? Kill them. It's easy and you'll get into a mess if I manage.

And last but not least, there were bad dice for me, but in the late first half they went away. Only reason I didn't score there too was that I couldn't get your tree marking plyers off completely and didn't have a rr. If you look at the replay you'll notice. I needed 1 more I think and he'd done the throw. That 1 was because of your marking player. The fling stuck the landing after the landing so..to be brutally honest, you should be happy it was only a draw.

This might be too much and I'm pretty sure it will help at least someone in this div, but it just didn't feel right to just leave you wondering.

12. Werebat

Cyanide Username:
    Werebat
    Country Flag:
    Not too much at all, and thanks. Didn't realize you were targeting the gobbos specifically; I was putting them in front of the defensive lines on purpose because I figured Dodge would make them less likely to get hurt. I did breathe a sigh of relief when that halfling toss didn't get off the ground, and I agree, it could easily have been a loss for me.

Losing all of my RR second half didn't help me at all either.

Just goes to show you, you never know how a game will end up. By turn 3 I had figured Nuffle had handed me that game on a silver platter with cranberry sauce and stuffing on the side. Not so, not so!

13. TravelScrabble

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    Averland Match of the Day Match Day 2

Can't promise one of these every week but here's number 2.

Blackmountain Blacksheep vs Nagarund Burning Bulls

True fans of blood bowl despair because today we will be bringing you a match between two chaos dwarf teams. If you like to see skillful passing, incisive running and free scoring plays then look elsewhere because what we can expect today is two immovable objects pushing up against each other for two halves. Yet this is a match of some importance, featuring as it does two of the leading teams in the division and thus we have little choice but to take a look at it.

The Naggarund Burning Bulls start this match on the back foot, being down a bull from their last encounter, but also with the ball. Their opening goes according to plan as they set up a foul to remove Toby Smash and Rip but lose a hobbo in the process, then manage to collect the ball.

That’s the last interesting thing that happens for a while as thw two banks of little beardy hat people push and shove each other for a while until Zukh Goldhand misses his man and manages to knock himself out on the astrogranite. The Blackheep press them hard until Richard Hibbard is finally able to knock down the ball carrier Bonethief. Amazingly Ghostbane manages to catch the ball on the bounce.

The response from the Bulls is slow, as they do some more pushing and shoving without accomplishing much. The scrum breaks out in earnest and the Bulls get the worst of it as Bonethief and KO’d and Metalspine is injured. Quicklegs the Bull misses another block and Ghostbane walks in the TD without much trouble .

2nd half
    and to the relief of the fans its 9 vs 9 on the pitch creating more room and ultimately less dwarves for them to suffer through.

Blackmountain comes flying out of the blocks this half grabbing the ball and injuring Lightcorpse off on the opening blocks. Feeling the pressure the Bulls respond aggressively with Quicklegs charging forward. But the aggressive defense doesn’t work out and the Blacksheep break through forcing their cousins to scramble about as they try to respond. North, the ball carrying hobbo eventually blitzes through and clear and nobody can stop him from running in the td.

So the game is all but in the bag for the Blackmountaineers at this point but there’s time for a consolation drive. Unfortunately the Bulls are clearly demoralized at this point and are caught flat footed as North goes after the kick and blitzes down Quicklegs right of the bat (North surely in with a shot for man of the match at this point).The LOS blocks don’t do much and with the ball marked the Bulls can’t pick it up and North and Halfpenny stand strong. Finally Ghostbane manages to pick it up and the other Lightcorpse brother misses a block. Just as most of the stadium has left the Bulls prve they can play and Balleater recovers the ball but is unable to complete even the vanity pass he’s looking for.

2-0 to the Blackmountain Blacksheep

14. TravelScrabble

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    No match report this week because instead I'm bringing you the Early Season Update

Lets take a look at the teams in the standings order.

Blackmoutain Blacksheep – 9pts
    Currently sitting at the top of the standings with a perfect record are Hawca’s chaos dwarf outfit. I had them picked for promotion originally but I must admit I didn’t know they’d be this good and I underestimated this elf loving coach’s dwarf handling. Now they are definitely the team to beat having come off an impressive victory over their chaos dwarf rivals NBB last week. Already has two guard dwarves too, sheesh. New prediction 1st.

Naggrund Burning Bulls – 6 pts
    Sitting second in the standings are Magfa’s Naggrun Burning Bulls. I had them picked 1st originally so doing pretty well with this prediction really. They slipped up in week 2 against the Blackmountain Blacksheep in a match where they were missing one of their bulls but other than that they’ve been unstoppable. Two level ups so far, both on bulls. New prediction 2nd.

Move Ball Quick Quick – 6pts
    Its fair to say that Move Ball Quick Quick have been the surprise outfit of the season. Skaven can be strong early but I had some doubt about Grimwind’s experience, doubt that has been quickly laid to raised. 2 wins in 3 games is pretty good and particularly when one of those wins was against chaos dwarves. The only blight on his record is that he’s largely avoided playing the coaches higher up in the standings. The other problem is a lack of skill ups after three games, with his only level 2 being a dauntless gutter. All things considered I’m going to stick to my guns and predict the rats still won’t make promotion but I expect Grim to prove me wrong. New prediction 5th.

Wired – 4 pts
    Leading a pack of teams on 4 points is Miicr0’s Wired who got run over by the Burning Bulls last week. No two ways about it this was a tough one and has left them with two av 6 elves (including a war dancer) and both their leaping women missing for the next game. In all honesty those two helflings should probably go but I doubt he can afford it now with no re-rolls on the roster so he’ll probably keep the gimped war dancer for now. Its hard to know where this leaves the team, they’ve managed to pick up an apo but no re-rolls yet and a couple of skills on catchers so overall I’d say they’re still ok and challenging for promotion. New prediction 4th!

Peddle Power – 4pts
    We come now to the fourth of the teams I had predicted for promotion and they are currently looking barely on course being tied for fourth currently. They’ll need to improve a lot bit to make my prediction of 2nd but promotion should still be within their reach. They’re only loss this season came against Hawca so that’s positive but they’ve taken quite a lot of damage which I more troubling. Already down to 10 players they’re roster is a mess of red crosses at the moment, but only 1 of those injuries is permanent and in returen they have 3 skill ups and enough money for a new catcher. New prediction 3rd

Dead Fusion – 4 pts
    I have to say I love this team theme and It make me especially happy that the ‘lawbringer’ Newton is the first one on the team to level. Sudonym is the last coach on 4 points in a group with little to choose between them. Dead Fusion are noticeably healthier than their rivals, have already got a 12 man squad and are closing in on a 3rd re-roll ( I imagine or they might pick up a second ghoul). The only black mark against them is that they have lost to one of their rivals in Peddle Power. Honestly I think they’re looking at promotion but ‘;m going to obstinately stick to my pre-season prediction in an attempt to look cool. New Prediction 5th.

Death Pass Devils II – 3 pts
    This outfit didn’t get a pre-season prediction so they start with a clean slate. Bestbitter is a relatively new coach on Cyanide in what is largely an experienced division so 3 points is not too bad at this point. For the sake of transparency I should note that win did come against the flings. But some interesting level ups so far make me think this team will continue to improve. Prediction 8th.

Krunchy Cereal Killer – 2 pts
    What did I say? I said not last and lo, they are not last. Actually Blassc has been unlucky a couple of times and is doing very well to still have picked up two draws. If his luck turns he will continue to cause upsets. On the other hand he still has to play two more chaos dwarfs (who put this division together anyway) so there will be painful games ahead too. Unfortunately he’s probably going to have to hope for a lot of re-rollers to set up the dream show down with F.O.O.D next season unless that level up turns out to be +agi! New prediction 7th.

Delusional Dimwits – 2 pts
    Another team that didn’t get a pre-season prediction, hg’s replacement underworld. Underworld are slow starters and so it has proved. They have 2 points but one of those came in an admin draw. But they’re looking healthy and one of the blitzers has levelled up so he will start to dish out the pain. I’d predict them to finish solidly mid table were it not for the fact that I haven’t seen hg around for a while and he missed md 3. HG come back! Prediction 10th (unless they come back in which case 7th).

Wyrmwood – 1 pt
    Finally bottom of the pile so far is Wyrmwood the other underworld team in the division coached by Wyrmwood. 1 point out of three is not great obviously especially when you got it against halflings, but chaos dwarves and skaven are not easy opponents for underworld since they both negate a lot of their advantages of speed and dodginess. This team also didn’t get a preseason prediction so I will note now that Werebat looks a capable coach, but it won’t be enough. Prediction 9th.

15. bestbitter

bestbitter Member

Cyanide Username:
    bestbitter
    Country Flag:
    I would be more than happy with 8th, although no disrespect to blassc I would hope to finish above a halfling team! We shall see.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2014
  16. Hawca

Hawca Member

Country Flag:
    Love these updates. Brilliant read

17. Blasscend

Blasscend Member

Cyanide Username:
    Blassc_end
    Country Flag:
    Well, it´s not +agi. But who needs that? :rolleyes: The ChD aren´t the biggest worry tbh. It´s the skaven. I do have a lot of good results against rats, but that´s mostly been me nailing both throws for a draw after dragging out my drives as long as I was able to.

Also, I kinda like the fact that you place that much confidence in me, TS. Gonna be honest though, I´m really hoping for that dream match of FOOD vs. the Cereal Killers to happen.

18. TravelScrabble

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    Ill fated alliance are alo causing a stir since joining the league - best stunty competition should be tight this season.

19. Blasscend

Blasscend Member

Cyanide Username:
    Blassc_end
    Country Flag:
    I kinda like the sound of that-unfortunately, both me and Alt don't update the whole team blog thingy as we should so it's kinda hard to keep track.

I for one would be proud as f*ck to win that.

20. Miicr0

Miicr0 Member

Cyanide Username:
    Miicr0
    Country Flag:
    You got too much faith. I don't know how I should salvage this team and I still have 2x ChD to go!