1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cyanide BLITZ or CLASSIC ?

Discussion in 'General Blood Bowl News and Discussion' started by mars, Jan 28, 2014.

1. mars

mars New Member

Country Flag:
    Deer friends, which rules do you choose, BLITZ or CLASSIC ?

And what's the difference between them?:confused:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2014
  2. TravelScrabble

TravelScrabble Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    There's not a huge difference. Blitz is no popular and while I don't know all the reasons, one of them is that the blitz rule set includes some inducements (potions) that are considered unbalanced and can't be found in tabletop blood bowl.

3. Barristan

Barristan Member

Country Flag:
    Also players age I think and the Wizard has a different spell for each race, some of them pretty impressive. To have fun there's no problem with it but to get familiar with the game before playing online I would not recommend it.

4. Gallows Bait

Gallows Bait Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Gallows-Bait
    Cyanide Username:
    Gallows Bait
    Country Flag:
    In terms of playing turn-based, there really are only the extended inducements between them. Many of the other features of Blitz mode (racial Wizards, variable armour and equipment) don't apply outside of real time mode.

It's worth noting that in terms of online play, no one plays real time mode.

5. Barristan

Barristan Member

Country Flag:
    To be fair I only played something like two games in Blitz mode, but it was turn-based and I'm fairly sure the Wizard I got was a racial one (cause I had not a clue what the effect was :D).

6. chakkal2001

chakkal2001 Active Member

Country Flag:
    what is blitz mode?

7. Dalryk

Dalryk Member

Steam Username:
    Dalryk
    Cyanide Username:
    Dalryk
    Country Flag:
    Blitz mode is an option you can choose when setting up a league. It lets you choose from various additional rules/features that Cyanide came up with, whereas as "Classic" uses only the default CRP ruleset.

The most controversial Blitz feature is real-time mode, which is fairly well agreed to be a piece of crap. As has already been mentioned, other options include additional Inducement choices (potions, team sabotage, extra training), race-based wizards, player aging, and magic equipment.

You can pick and choose which options you want to apply when setting up a new competition.

Personally I think a lot of the options have promise, but haven't been properly balanced. Others were apparently copied from Cyanide's previous BB rip-off, and just weren't thought through at all - e.g. you can buy a Drug Test as an Inducement which will send off an opposing player if they are using potions, but since only one team usually has inducement cash to spend, it's almost impossible to use successfully.

8. tys123

tys123 Courier Staff

Country Flag:
    In single player doesn't blitz mode have aging on for players , get sponsorship and stuff and need to rehire players every season.
    It did in BB1 but I haven't tried it since then

9. dodger

dodger Member

Cyanide Username:
    drdodger
    Country Flag:
    Yeah, originally Cyanide made a game named Chaos League I think it was. Games Workshop then sued them over the fact that it was a blatant rip off of Blood Bowl. As part of the settlement from that legal action Cyanide was licensed to revamp the game using the actual Blood Bowl name, but also with the actual Blood Bowl rules (which is the Classic Mode). The Blitz mode is for the most part all the stuff they'd done in Chaos League that wasn't within the bounds of the actual Blood Bowl rules.

Fun story.

10. Gallows Bait

Steam Username:
    Gallows-Bait
    Cyanide Username:
    Gallows Bait
    Country Flag:
    Always made me giggle. Other part was that the rights to Chaos League were also assigned to GW, meaning even if they did do a Chaos League game instead, the money would go to GW. :p

11. Capt Charisma

Capt Charisma Member

Country Flag:
    I tried Blitz mode but the players aging somewhat killed it for me.

12. Steele

Steele Member

Cyanide Username:
    Steele
    Country Flag:
    Blitz mode inducements

I am running a league using Blitz mode. No aging though.

We quite like the Blitz mode, as if offers interesting inducements, like the potions, bribing an opponent player etc., and also gives better options for using all of your inducement money, since there are options in Blitz that cost less than 50K. Opinions vary... it's something else at least :)

One thing I would warn against though, is the wizard inducement. It recharges during a match, based on some arcane formula we have yet to decipher completely. Blocking seems to give a lot of recharge, and it's not unusual for a bashy team to get 2 wizard fires during a match. When you add the "Cheering Fans" inducement to that, I've seen a wizard fire 4(!) times in one match. We subsequently decided to ban Cheering Fans, but it's still unbalanced, and we're considering a "one-shot" rule.

Another warning: Using Training is not recommended (can be turned off by administrator), since it's latency dependent, giving the host a huge advantage, since it's pretty hard to hit the sweet spot on the Training bar when you're lagging (with unknown ping, no less, since it's dependent on your peer-to-peer connection).

There was also a bug with using Equipment, but I'm not sure if it's been fixed yet.

13. Gallows Bait

Steam Username:
    Gallows-Bait
    Cyanide Username:
    Gallows Bait
    Country Flag:
    No, no fixes to equipment, no fixes to anything anymore.

14. Kjelstad

Kjelstad Active Member

Steam Username:
    Kjelstad
    Cyanide Username:
    Kjelstad
    Country Flag:
    Most leagues that use extended ban the second use of a wizard unless it is Fun League. They also encourage using 12 players though

15. Blasscend

Blasscend Member

Cyanide Username:
    Blassc_end
    Country Flag:
    RMBBL uses extended rules-except the cheering fans and the second wizard use ofc.

I really have to say that I REALLY like them. The potions might seem OP, but they're really only giving you the chance to gain that point in agility or strenght. For teams that get a lot of inducements like flings, goblins and also UW partly can really get something out of them.

If they'd bring it back for BB2 plus the cards and all star players I'd be pretty happy.