1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cyanide Blood Bowl 2 Bretonnian Skills

Discussion in 'League and Team Development Tactics' started by Kylusen, Sep 24, 2015.

1. Mousecop

Mousecop New Member

Country Flag:
    Ive been experimenting with this type of Brett team a lot, some often overlooked skills are dump off and nerves of steel.
    Brets are meant for the hand off game and when you keep a runner with dump off next to a Blitzer with his natural catch and nerves of steel, its a complete nightmare for the other team to deal with it and extract the ball. If I get doubles on a Blitzer I grab dodge and he becomes the NoS buddy to the runner, as NoS also lets him extract the ball from tacklezones instead of having to go through it the messy way.
    Brets are fantastic in that they can bash against agi and they can play a mean rugby-esque finesse game against beefy teams. You need to build players in order to out tool and outsmart the opposition once they get Bashier then you (and they will). Build get mighty blow on your blockers and a DP or two on your honorless little peasants and try to keep the numbers even or in your favor on the field, but don't be afraid to build your blitzers to pull off the occasional jaw dropping elf bullshit, and then perhaps run up to a chaos Minotaur and punch him in the nose.

2. plasmoid

plasmoid Member

Country Flag:
    Very interesting Mousecop - I've been thinking along similar lines.
    I currently have a pretty straightforward Bretonnian team, 13 or so games in, winning about half their games in a fairly competitive private League - so doing alright :)
    I do find it tricky to skill the yeomen when every game is close, so in retrospect I might go for Mighty Blow before Guard - kind of allows them to skill themselves. MVP distribution have not been good for this team, with 5 MVPs going to the same lineman...

Anyway, I'm starting a second Bretonnian team (we play by email) and I'll be going all in on Fend & Wrestle. Should cerainly help against CPOMBers.
    Thing is, when everyone has wrestle, some turns are bound to go wrong and leave some of your Guys on the ground. That's where Dump-Off (and NOS) comes in. Could be interesting :D

Cheers
    Martin

3. mamutas

mamutas Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    mamutas
    Cyanide Username:
    mamutas
    Country Flag:
    @plasmoid, how do you play over email? do you use a client for that? or just write down your positions, moves and roles. then how do you check that other coach does not cheat?

4. plasmoid

plasmoid Member

Country Flag:
    we do indeed use a client, with crude graphics, which does the rolls and gets the job done.
    48 teams in the league this season.

5. mamutas

Steam Username:
    mamutas
    Cyanide Username:
    mamutas
    Country Flag:
    oh, cool! what is the name of that wonderful client?

6. plasmoid

plasmoid Member

Country Flag:
    I believe it is something along the lines of 'Ronald Lokers pbem client'.
    Just so we're clear: It's not Cyanide.
    And pbem is a slow way to play.
    But if you have kids and can rarely play a game in one sitting, then it is a nice way to still get to play BB :)
    I can give it to you if you'd like

7. mamutas

Steam Username:
    mamutas
    Cyanide Username:
    mamutas
    Country Flag:
    Yeah, sure, I'd love to try PBEM way of playing.

8. Keraunograf

Keraunograf Active Member

Steam Username:
    Keraunograf
    Cyanide Username:
    Manticoran
    Country Flag:
    How would people feel about this as a homerules varient on Brets?

Knights 7/3/3/9, Block/Dauntless/Sprint, SGAP, 120k, up to 4
    Blockers 5/3/3/8, Stand Firm, SG, 60k, up to 4
    Peasants 6/3/2/7, Fend, G, 40k, linemen
    70k rerolls

Little weaker in the early game due to lack of the Wrestle on Blockers, but I feel in long run clearly stronger. Seems likely not too strong, while still feeling like Brets, and firming up each role, where Knights do the team stuff, Blockers stand in the way, and Peasants stand in the way by getting knocked around.

Was considering making Blockers have Grab rather than Stand Firm, or AV7 instead of MV5.

Was thinking Pro on the Knights maybe instead of Sprint, but I feel like that'd make them way too good out of the box.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
  9. tys123

tys123 Courier Staff

Country Flag:
    I don't think the knights really needs AV9. If they have that much armour they need to be slower ( unless you are using mounted models ). What they really need over the current rules is A or S access.

10. Keraunograf

Keraunograf Active Member

Steam Username:
    Keraunograf
    Cyanide Username:
    Manticoran
    Country Flag:
    Honestly the AV9 was just a way to justify increasing their cost without making them too significantly better, since I felt weird increasing cost just with giving them more skill access.

11. Muundus

Muundus Active Member

Country Flag:
    I really disagree with the Bret comparison to human teams as being better all around. Especially when comparing the Brets to a very suboptimal Human team with no Throwers or Catchers. The strength of the human team is their versatility, and by refusing to take throwers or catchers a coach is seriously handicapping his chance to be competitive. A human team without throwers and catchers is what, bash? With only 4 players (5 if you count the unreliable ogre) with regular strength access and AV8, and no players with above average strength. Good luck.

Why would someone refuse to take a thrower in order to field another lineman? They have the same statline, the passer has 2 very valuable skills, general access to two skill trees compared to only one for the lineman, and only cost 20k more.

The catchers are the only players with regular access to valuable agility skills and are great for moving around to provide assists.

An Orc team facing the team mentioned would laugh as they simply mark all your players and watch as you have to burn through your re rolls doing things like dodging, picking up the ball, and passing. Good luck punching through against that same Orc team that has 8 (9 counting trolls) players with strength access and 4 players with Strength 4. Especially since you had to use valuable skills on one of your Blitzers to turn him into a ball handler.

With regards to the Brets, I think they can be good. They can be versatile, but they accomplish it differently than the standard human teams. A human team accomplishes their versatility by having a decent bench and altering the players on the pitch. A Bret team can switch between the tactics naturally after a few skill ups. It is important to note that a Bret Blitzer skilled to be a ball handler with sure hands and pass is tied with wood elf throwers and skaven throwers for being the fastest ball carrier in the game. The issue is that you are having to dedicate one of your Blitzers for that role, where other teams have their 4 Blitzers PLUS a dedicated ball handler. The Brets are interesing to say the least.

12. twitch.tv/the_Sage_BB

twitch.tv/the_Sage_BB Active Member

Country Flag:
    Well, I don't agree entirely. Yes, I think Brets are a poorer version of humans, but for a different reason. Blitzers are what the human team is all about, imo. The human blitzer is the fastest S access player in the game, and humans are very very cheap. I'd say the main downside of Brets is that their blitzers are -MA and traded block for wrestle, seriously hampering their performance (yes I'm ignoring the fact that the Knights are called blitzers, without S access they should NOT be the workhorse of the team, and I'd take only 1 or 2 of them). I do think humans' versatility angle is highly overrated, and that they should be played as a foul-heavy bash team. Your strength against the slow blocky teams are a deep bench (with dp), and higher speed. This is how I build them. With AV8 the catcher becomes a bit more of a real player, rather than a hope for an OTTD guy

13. Muundus

Muundus Active Member

Country Flag:
    I disagree with you about the versatility being over-rated. My reasons are in the thread about human team development. I do agree with you about Human Blitzers being Fantastic players, though. We both agree that human rosters should run deep. I prefer to fill it out with catchers rather than lineman though, as the ability to field 4 MV 8 players at once is POWERFUL when necessary. It is also important to note that nothing about my roster precludes me from playing a foul heavy bash game. A Catcher can foul just as good as a lineman once your dirty players are gone, and the bench will be big enough so you don't have to worry about running out of guys.

14. twitch.tv/the_Sage_BB

Country Flag:
    I haven't played humans enough in BB2 specifically. I know that on fumbbl I wouldn't want >1 catcher. AV8 might just make the difference for me to use them.

15. Ravers

Ravers Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Ravers
    Country Flag:
    The extra 2 move the catchers give over the alternative, more linemen, is very worth it in BB2 I think. Given they start with dodge and are 1 skill away from blodge/wrodge, and can skill up really quickly, I would definitely have 1 to start and get a 2nd later. They are very mobile so can usually get in the right place if you need an assist, and can help give you a fairly reliable backfield SPP pass farming option vs slower teams. Not sure about 4 though, will maybe have to try it next Munch Cup season.

16. Muundus

Muundus Active Member

Country Flag:
    The 4 catchers thing is what I typically plan for the team at full strength and high TV. I rarely have all four on the pitch... Though it is nice when you have to get a 2 turn TD. 4 Blitzers and 4 Catchers on the field is very hard to contain offensively.

Most of the time I'm playing with 2 catchers on the pitch.

But didn't mean to hijack the thread to talking about regular humans. Let's try to keep it focused on Brets.

17. plasmoid

plasmoid Member

Country Flag:
    Hi Mamutas,
    Sincerely sorry for missing your last post,
    If you still want to try the play by email client, just send me an email: plasmoid at hotmail dot com

Cheers
    Martin

18. plasmoid

plasmoid Member

Country Flag:
    As for the humans thing, I just get so depressed that every team seems to be valued on tv-efficiency and bash alone. To me that's the twisted version of BB that is created by huge TV matched leagues.

Admittedly the Brets don't quite stand up to such a comparison - unless you consider a fouling lineman team (which CDs can do better). In that regard Brets were a strange for Cyanide. Brets are stronger in TT league play and NAF tournaments.

When I play humans, I run 2 catchers until that have block and dauntless. Then I bring on 2 more. I live the threat of that speed. Especially if they're AV8 in the league (which they are in mine)

Cheers
    Martin

19. plasmoid

plasmoid Member

Country Flag:
    Hi Muundus,
    >I really disagree with the Bret comparison to human teams as being better all around.
    I do too.
    If one thinks that Humans ought to be run without ST2 catchers, "expensive" throwers and unreliable ogres, then Brets may have an edge.
    If one thinks that Humans benefit from their versatility, then Brets look weaker.

Either way, stats from the BB2 stattracker indicate that Brets are mid-high tier 2 (aka outside of tier 1). Lower than humans. And currently the bottom team of BB2.

I've started a 2nd Bret team in addition to the one I mentioned here (TV155).
    New one started with 4 blitzers, 2 yeomen, 7 linemen and 2 rerolls. It felt like a good roster. Had a good first game, winning it while skilling up a Blitzer (Leader) and buying an apothecary (Phew!)
    I run this team as an experiment, and will be trying to get a lot of Fend on the roster, just to see how that pans out.

Cheers
    Martin

20. twitch.tv/the_Sage_BB

Country Flag:
    Fend does get better the more you spam it, and the blitzers don't have S access, so fend isn't too wasted on them, I suppose. I like the experiment. However, I'd be hesitant to put fend on a yeoman before 76 or 176 SPP; with GS access there's just too many good skills for them (probably including, at some point, block. =/ )