Blood Bowl 2020 FAQ

Coach

Administrator
Head Coach
Country Flag
May I encourage anyone with questions to email the address GW put out bloodbowlfaq@gwplc.com and then report back answers. The more people who ask the same question to them directly the more encouragement we give GW to sort things out.

From the leaks there are some questions that have been left unanswered:

Q. There no longer is any wording limiting a team to only being able to use a single Team Reroll in a turn, was this intentional?

Q. Can you use a Team reroll on the rest of a dice pool after Pro / Brawler have rerolled one of them already?

Q. When doing a Block with more than one die, can you use multiple skills to reroll different ones? For example, use Brawler on one of the dice and Pro on the other one?

Q. PA 1+ is a modified 1 still Wildly Inaccurate?

Q. What happened when a pass is modified below 1? Obviously the pass has failed but is it just Inaccurate as it failed? Wildly Inaccurate happens if you get exactly a modified 1 but the roll below that. A Fumble requires a natural 1 which it isn't. Using those rules it would be just inaccurate which doesn't make "sense". That would mean you can avoid Wildly Inaccurate by putting your passing player in more tackle zones. There also doesn't appear to be a rule anywhere saying you can't modify a roll below 1 and page 29 even gives an example in the "What can possibly go wrong?" box where you modify to 0. Common sense would dictate that it would be a Fumble but that's not what the rules as written result in. If it's not a Fumble then having lots of Disturbing Presence on a Nurgle team actually helps the opponents.

A: A result of 1 or lower after modifiers are applied is Wildly Inaccurate. Source GW Passing the Ball video, timestamp 3 min 27s

Q. Do you still use the range ruler from the passing player to the square will land if it went out of bounds into the crown as a result of being Inaccurate / Wildly Inaccurate? Can a player who is under the range ruler doing this still interfere with the pass even if that's not actually the route the ball travelled to that square?

Q. Does Diving Tackle still work in the same way? Can you use it on a rerolled attempt if you didn't need to use it on the first attempt? If it applied to the first attempt does it apply to the reroll as well? People have been confused by this from previous rulebooks, after some clarification was removed, that the answer to all those should be yes.

Q. If a player has "-" as his PA, can you then increase his PA stat to 6+ by getting a skill increase?

Q. Can you still get a stat increase to a stat that was at the max and then lowered from an injury?

Q. Hypnotic Gaze is a Special Action which you can do instead of other actions. Animal Savagery says that Special Actions that you do instead of a Block action give you a +2 to the roll. Does that mean doing a Hypnotic Gaze Special Action gets a +2 to the roll when the Hypnotic Gaze skill description doesn't mention that it can be done instead of a Block Action, like Chainsaw, Stab and Projectile Vomit all do? Does this mean Vampires can do a "movement" Hypnotic Gaze action on a 2+ like the old Bloodlust rules or on a 4+ due to Animal Savagery?

Q. Can you stand up a player who hasn't activated yet, if they were knocked prone as a result of a team mate who has Animal Savagery previously in that same turn?

Q. Do inducements count towards team value? Do they count in general (e.g. for expensive mistakes) or just for prayers to Nuffle?

Q. Do you have to take Journeymen to get to 11 players, or can you choose not to do so in order to get more inducement money to hire Star Players? The wording has changed from may in 2016 rules to will in 2020 rules which means they now have to take them, is this intentional?

Q. What does a "free foul action" actually mean when using Piledriver? Free from the ref noticing so you don't get sent off? Free to do the team's Foul action, when the player has already done a Block / Blitz action? Free to do it as an additional Foul action along with the normal team Foul action and can be done with as many players as you have Piledriver on?

Last edited:

Coach

Administrator
Head Coach
Country Flag
Any other things that come up that may need clarification then please post them here and if needed I'll add them to the original post.

patbou73

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
See the box on page 29 (attached). The way I understand it, a player with PA 1+ that passes the ball will always Fumble on a natural 1. But if there's a modifier (-1 for Short Pass, for example), a roll of 2 (modified to 1) will still be Accurate, because the test is passed (see page 49). The test is passed, it wasn't a natural 1, so it cannot be Wildly Inaccurate (even if the roll is a modified 1). Inaccuracy (normal or wild) can only occur if the test is failed, which is not the case on a PA 1+ player. Otherwise, what would be the point of ever getting PA 1+ if a modified 1 is never ever a success?

So, yes, there's a good reason to improve PA beyond 2+, particularly on a dedicated Thrower (who will thus never throw a Wildly Inaccurate pass ; he'll Fumble, at worse).

Attachments

• AG or PA 1+.JPG
    AG or PA 1+.JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 586
Last edited:

patbou73

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
Page 24 : "a) The second result must always be accepted, even if it is worse than the original result ; b) A dice can never be re-rolled more than once, regardless of the source of the re-roll. [...] c) When a team re-roll is used, all of the dice in the dice pool must be re-rolled. "

So, no, a Pro/Brawler that used its skill to re-roll a dice cannot then use a Team re-roll to roll the whole set of dice or the other dice that wasn't re-rolled, mostly because of B and C above.

Last edited:

patbou73

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
Diving Tackle attached.

You can use it on a player that passed the AG test to Dodge, Jump or Leap out of the square you were marking. You thus have to actively wait until the opposition player is satisfied with the roll or re-roll (the test is passed), and then you choose to use this skill or not. Once a dice roll is accepted and not re-rolled by a player, they may not later opt to use a re-roll if a sudden modifier (like Diving Tackle) makes them fail. Obviously, the active player will choose to re-roll a test that would normally be a success but becomes a failure because of Diving Tackle. If they do, and the re-roll beats the test by 2 (ex. : roll of 4 for an AG 2+ player), you will not use Diving Tackle.

Attachments

• Diving Tackle.JPG
    Diving Tackle.JPG
    32 KB · Views: 470

Coach

Administrator
Head Coach
Country Flag
See the box on page 29 (attached). The way I understand it, a player with PA 1+ that passes the ball will always Fumble on a natural 1. But if there's a modifier (-1 for Short Pass, for example), a roll of 2 (modified to 1) will still be Accurate, because the test is passed (see page 49). The test is passed, it wasn't a natural 1, so it cannot be Wildly Inaccurate (even if the roll is a modified 1). Inaccuracy (normal or wild) can only occur if the test is failed, which is not the case on a PA 1+ player. Otherwise, what would be the point of ever getting PA 1+ if a modified 1 is never ever a success?

So, yes, there's a good reason to improve PA beyond 2+, particularly on a dedicated Thrower (who will thus never throw a Wildly Inaccurate pass ; he'll Fumble, at worse).

It isn't clear that being accurate would take precedence over being Wildy Inaccurate. The conditions for both states of accuracy are fulfilled but there isn't anywhere which actually happens. Yes it is accurate but yes it is also Wildly Inaccurate. There is nothing saying that it can only be Wildly Inaccurate if the test is failed. Whilst I agree with the way you are reading it there is room for confusion, it's good to get these things cleared up!

patbou73

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
If a player has "-" as his PA, can you then increase his PA stat to 6+ by getting a skill increase?

Page 28 : Minimum PA is 6+.

Page 49 : "If the player has a PA of '-', the pass is automatically fumbled".

Page 74 : "Should you randomly select a characteristic that cannot be improved [...], the player may instead choose a Secondary Skill."

Conclusion : You cannot increase a characteristic that you do not have. So, no.

Coach

Administrator
Head Coach
Country Flag
Diving Tackle attached.

You can use it on a player that passed the AG test to Dodge, Jump or Leap out of the square you were marking. You thus have to actively wait until the opposition player is satisfied with the roll or re-roll (the test is passed), and then you choose to use this skill or not. Once a dice roll is accepted and not re-rolled by a player, they may not later opt to use a re-roll if a sudden modifier (like Diving Tackle) makes them fail. Obviously, the active player will choose to re-roll a test that would normally be a success but becomes a failure because of Diving Tackle. If they do, and the re-roll beats the test by 2 (ex. : roll of 4 for an AG 2+ player), you will not use Diving Tackle.

Not sure where you get this interpretation from. You've always been able to choose to use a reroll after your opponent chooses to use Diving Tackle. As I've put in the original post, this is something that's often caused confusion.

patbou73

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
It isn't clear that being accurate would take precedence over being Wildy Inaccurate. The conditions for both states of accuracy are fulfilled but there isn't anywhere which actually happens. Yes it is accurate but yes it is also Wildly Inaccurate. There is nothing saying that it can only be Wildly Inaccurate if the test is failed. Whilst I agree with the way you are reading it there is room for confusion, it's good to get these things cleared up!

I fully agree with you. It should be specified somewhere that a modified 1 that passes the PA test (for a PA 1+ player) is Accurate, and not Wildly Inaccurate. My logic to assume that it is Accurate is because it would be totally pointless to otherwise allow a player to invest and improve PA to 1+, while it is the maximum available.

patbou73

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
Not sure where you get this interpretation from. You've always been able to choose to use a reroll after your opponent chooses to use Diving Tackle. As I've put in the original post, this is something that's often caused confusion.
There you go, Skill Use attached.
a) you can choose to use a skill after roll is made.
b) a skill can be used multiple times during each team turn.

You cannot use Diving Tackle unless the player passed the test. To pass the test, the dice have to be rolled and accepted as such by the player, or re-rolled if he wants to. At worse, you use it on first roll, but if it's rerolled to success, then Diving Tackle becomes illegal to use, and you didn't used it.

Maybe I'm wrong, but that's how I interpret what I read.

Attachments

• Skill Use.JPG
    Skill Use.JPG
    65.2 KB · Views: 720

Coach

Administrator
Head Coach
Country Flag
There is nothing stopping you then using your Dodge skill after the opponent chooses to use the Diving Tackle skill. There is no rule about "accepting" a dice roll.

patbou73

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
OK. I get it. Dodge test is passed, but barely. You use Diving Tackle, placing your player prone, and make opponent fails. Opponent can then re-roll (with Team re-roll, or Dodge/Pro), but will still suffer the -2 modifier on this new roll. No matter the outcome of this second roll, your player is prone after using the skill.

Coach

Administrator
Head Coach
Country Flag
Yeah that's it, some people argue that the -2 won't apply on the reroll because the opponent is now prone. One of the older rulebooks clarified this stating that any modifiers that apply to the first roll apply to second, but this got removed between then and now. I've even seen some people say you can't use it on the second roll if you didn't use it on the first roll which was a 1. Both of these are incorrect, you can always wait to see the dice roll before deciding skill use. It's one of the stranger interactions in the game so it would be great to properly get it cleared up again in an official capacity.

patbou73

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
I guess you can upgrade a stats as long as it’s not currently at the maximum.

Coach

Administrator
Head Coach
Country Flag
I agree with @patbou73's reading of it, I also questions why you would want to do that as it will just increase the team value. Also there are now new rules in the leaked book which allows you to recover long term injuries. Either way I still think it merits asking as there may be a time you are desperate to get a player back for a cup final game or something, with that stat back up to full.

Coach

Administrator
Head Coach
Country Flag
Added Hypnotic Gaze + Animal Savagery interaction question.

Jorgen_CAB

Veteran
Country Flag
Here is another question that the book is rather fussy about...

Do you put down the ruler to interfere a pass that scatters off the pitch to where the ball "Lands" after it has been "Thrown in" by the crowd, or... more logically from where it enters into the crowd the first time so you can stop it ever reaching the crowd.

According to raw it seems as if you wait until the ball lands and then use the measuring stick to that point and do the interference... which seem a bit weird.

Coach

Administrator
Head Coach
Country Flag
Good question... pouring over the passing interference rule section it says that your player needs to be between the player passing the ball and where the ball lands. The player also needs to be at least partially under the range ruler when you place it between those two spots. There are no rules about it going out of bounds, just the passing player and the final landing square.

Blood Bowl passing rules have always been a bit odd. You used to roll to intercept before rolling the pass. You can now in the new rules throw it 6 squares in the opposite direction etc. It's a case of making the rules easier to write and understand, rather than making sense from a real life perspective.