1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blood Bowl 2020 FAQ

Discussion in 'General Blood Bowl News and Discussion' started by Coach, Aug 12, 2020.

1. Gallows Bait

Gallows Bait Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Gallows-Bait
    Cyanide Username:
    Gallows Bait
    Country Flag:
    Mr Suplex likes this.
  2. Jorgen_CAB

Jorgen_CAB Member

Country Flag:
    No... you can use Dump Off at the start of the Blitz move, it does not work like before.

Now, there is no rule you have to actually even try the block action... you can intentionally run in the opposite direction.

3. Sephorin

Sephorin Active Member

Steam Username:
    Sephorin
    Cyanide Username:
    Sephorin
    Country Flag:
    I've only been playing since 2016, but I am curious: was there this much ambiguity in the previous rule book? It seems like Games Workshop should hire some of you folks to do the editing for them. :)

Jairo likes this.
  4. tys123

tys123 Courier Staff

Country Flag:
    That is what used to happen.
    For 10+ years when GW ignored BB there was the Living Rulebook where the rules evolved with input from JJ at GW and a group of fans of the game.

Jairo likes this.
  5. Gallows Bait

Gallows Bait Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Gallows-Bait
    Cyanide Username:
    Gallows Bait
    Country Flag:
    I'd also suggest that there is more perceived ambiguity than actual ambiguity because everyone is comparing the new rules to the old rules and in some cases declaring them to be ambiguous, simply because they are not the same. Additionally there do appear to be some areas where clarification is needed even if the written rules are not ambiguous, further adding to confusion.

6. dissatisfiedcow

dissatisfiedcow Member

Country Flag:
    I think that a large part of the (perceived) ambiguity or unclarity comes from a dedicated fan-base that plays BB in a serious tournament setting. When playing on the kitchen table with a friend, these ambiguities don't matter all that much: you can just take 5 to discuss the options in a friendly manner and resolve it any way you agree upon.
    However, this is less the case when two players are uncertain about something when there is no option for disagreement (i.e. there is only 1 correct way) and the title (and commemorative trophy) depend on it. In this case, you want the wrinkles ironed out and understood before starting the game, even if only the tournament organizers have the FAQ at hand.

I don't really think this has anything to do with the 'serious' players being less friendly by the way, it's just that these settings lend themselves more for needing a single fixed interpretation of the rules.

Jairo, Silfuin, Sephorin and 2 others like this.
  7. patbou73

patbou73 Active Member

Country Flag:
    Another party that would be very much interested in clearing up these ambiguities is Cyanide. Imagine the programmers task of coding the rules into a computer game if they’re just WTF every now and then? o_O

Jairo likes this.
  8. Street

Street Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Street
    Country Flag:
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2020
    dissatisfiedcow likes this.
  9. patbou73

patbou73 Active Member

Country Flag:
    Well, Dump-Off is now proceeded the moment the target of the Blitz is declared, before the blitzing player moves. This makes the pass easier, with one less tackle zone, and less possible interference (maybe). But the blitzing player can also chose to not resolve the blitz and go mark the new ball carrier. Is it better than before? Dark Elf Runners will probably suffer less with this change if indeed the opponent decides to forfeit the blitz.

10. Sephorin

Sephorin Active Member

Steam Username:
    Sephorin
    Cyanide Username:
    Sephorin
    Country Flag:
    The FAQ is wonderful! It's great to see Games Workshop on top of these issues!

The question about not activating players is interesting. I do not have a copy of the new rules yet, but I assume ogres still have bonehead. As an ogre coach, there are times when I do not wish to activate an ogre because it's not worth the risk of losing tackle zones. From the way I read the FAQ, ogres MUST roll for bonehead each turn, even if they do not move.

11. Street

Street Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Street
    Country Flag:
    I find that answer needs its own FAQ answer, the answer starts with "Yes" which if you read the only question in it, wouldn't need a clarification afterwards.

So with that answer I am just as confused on if you do activate all players or not as I was before the FAQ came out.

Jairo likes this.
  12. Sephorin

Sephorin Active Member

Steam Username:
    Sephorin
    Cyanide Username:
    Sephorin
    Country Flag:
    LOL, you're right! Why not just end the answer with "Yes." unless the intention is to force coaches to activate each player every turn?

Reading the goblin guide from your link...

13. Coach

Coach Administrator Head Coach

Country Flag:
    It is useful to let new players know a zero move action is allowed, for example if they want activate a player to un-hypnotise them.

14. Jorgen_CAB

Jorgen_CAB Member

Country Flag:
    Big change is that you now can use multiple re-rolls per turn, that is now official!!

15. dissatisfiedcow

dissatisfiedcow Member

Country Flag:
    I wish the WH community site had the option for giving a thumbs up: it's great to see that the BB rules team is so on the ball (pun intended) when it comes to keeping an eye on the community :D

16. dissatisfiedcow

dissatisfiedcow Member

Country Flag:
    A very situational question: the "Flea Flicker" special play card lets you perform a second pass action once. Throw Team-Mate can be performed instead of a Pass action, but has a (possibly independent) once per turn clause.
    So, when using the Flea Flicker card, can you perform two Throw Team-Mate actions, or can you perform one Throw Team-Mate action as well as one Pass action?

17. tys123

tys123 Courier Staff

Country Flag:
    The RAW is that you can only do 1 Throw Team Mate action per turn instead of a pass action.
    This is in addition to the rule that you can only do 1 pass action.

So I would say that Flea Flicker allows 2 pass actions and 1 of them can be replaced with a Throw Team Mate action.

dissatisfiedcow likes this.
  18. dissatisfiedcow

dissatisfiedcow Member

Country Flag:
    If you induce a biased referee, does the "I didn't see a thing!" rule mean that the coach can no longer be ejected when Arguing the Call?

I expect this is indeed the case, because 1) most other test specifically mention natural 1 results while the Arguing the Call rule does not and 2) the Friends with the Ref Prayer to Nuffle uses different wording.

19. Jorgen_CAB

Jorgen_CAB Member

Country Flag:
    In this case there is no rule for a natural one or a natural six rolled so neither applies. The natural roll is not a universal rule and only apply if it says it does.

So my interpretation is that you will not be sent off in this case.

20. Jorgen_CAB

Jorgen_CAB Member

Country Flag:
    Here is an odd one... when and how does a player become "Activated" as a player need to "Activate" in order to use the Pro skill. I'm sure it has nothing to do with your team being the Active team as player can Activate ouside of that like in a Blitz kick of result for example.

Are the player counting as "Activated" when performing a pass action from the Dump Off skill for example... or what about receiving a pass or hand over... can Pro skill be used for a catch roll or an Interference roll?!?

I think that the Dump Off seem to indicate the player is Activated as they perform an Action, but catching and Interference might not constitute the player being activated. The problem that I see with the rules is that it does not explicitly tell what it means to "Activate" the player other than a player may activate once during your turn and some during a blitz or perform an action such as Dump Off.

I think it is a pity if a player can't use Pro to re-roll a catch roll for example

Related to this... can the Dodge skill be used on a Blitz kick of result. The skill specifies it can only be used once per team turn and a Blitz is not a team turn just an odd player activation. You can't use team re-rolls during a Blitz for example.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2020